Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Top 5 for 14th Region 2023
As bad as todays society is, I don’t know if anywhere else in the US would consider what he done all that bad. Just saying. Sex is all over the internet, Instagram is awful, and so are other media outlets. No he shouldn’t have shown his players that, but to say he can never coach again is drastic. He messed up but let him be punished by being suspended a year. I’d say he learned his lesson. Alex is a good guy and made a mistake.
Lacy Dicken can fling it. There is a lotnof great talent in the freshman class, but to say they are "well coached" is a huge stretch. In my opinion, Powell County has the weakest coaching staff in the region. 

(11-04-2022, 08:00 PM)Radial_Armsaw Wrote:
(08-30-2022, 10:17 AM)keep an eye on a freshman at Powell. Lacy Dicken. Works 79-81 can hit 83/84, good slider. Pounds the strike zone. Will be a fun one to watch grow. catsrule Wrote: 1.  Hazard  -  Class of the region, until someone can prove they can beat them.  Best coach/staff in region.  Meehan is the man
2.  Perry  -  One of the biggest schools in the region.  lots of returning talent.  Another great coach in Willis
3.  Letcher  -  Another one of the bigger schools.  lots of talent coming back.    Dean returns. 
4.  Breathitt  -  Couple good arms.  Need to develop a few more.    Return a lot of starters. 
5.  Wolfe  -  Most young talent in the region.  I'm hearing they are losing a couple players. 
5.  Powel  -  Good group of starters.  Well coached.  Need a couple more arms to make a run.

My opinion -  Hazard will be hoisting the Region Trophy 
(11-09-2022, 01:18 PM)BaseballPirate Wrote: Lacy Dicken can fling it. There is a lotnof great talent in the freshman class, but to say they are "well coached" is a huge stretch. In my opinion, Powell County has the weakest coaching staff in the region. 

(08-30-2022, 10:17 AM)keep an eye on a freshman at Powell. Lacy Dicken. Works 79-81 can hit 83/84, good slider. Pounds the strike zone. Will be a fun one to watch grow. catsrule Wrote: 1.  Hazard  -  Class of the region, until someone can prove they can beat them.  Best coach/staff in region.  Meehan is the man
2.  Perry  -  One of the biggest schools in the region.  lots of returning talent.  Another great coach in Willis
3.  Letcher  -  Another one of the bigger schools.  lots of talent coming back.    Dean returns. 
4.  Breathitt  -  Couple good arms.  Need to develop a few more.    Return a lot of starters. 
5.  Wolfe  -  Most young talent in the region.  I'm hearing they are losing a couple players. 
5.  Powel  -  Good group of starters.  Well coached.  Need a couple more arms to make a run.

Dicken can throw hard no doubt but older kids will tee off on mid to high 70s. Thats bp and hitting speed to older kids. Unless he can throw it mid 80s with nasty junk and off speed he wont be real effective. IMO Powell is down and only had the success they had last season because of luck of the draw. Outside of Nickle they don't have a very deep pitching rotation.
Dang
(11-09-2022, 03:35 PM)baseballfan06 Wrote:
(11-09-2022, 01:18 PM)BaseballPirate Wrote: Lacy Dicken can fling it. There is a lotnof great talent in the freshman class, but to say they are "well coached" is a huge stretch. In my opinion, Powell County has the weakest coaching staff in the region. 

Dicken can throw hard no doubt but older kids will tee off on mid to high 70s. Thats bp and hitting speed to older kids. Unless he can throw it mid 80s with nasty junk and off speed he wont be real effective. IMO Powell is down and only had the success they had last season because of luck of the draw. Outside of Nickle they don't have a very deep pitching rotation.

Lol it’s literally a bunch of dads
I thought powell was on the upswing?
(12-03-2022, 01:17 AM)14th Official Wrote: I thought powell was on the upswing?
We will see. I think last season was a fluke. Look at what they did in the region. Yes, the finals:
1st round vs 8th grader
5 hits, zero ER

2nd round 
1 hit

Championship
1 hit (against mainly fastballs)
26 K's in 3 games

Many errors. 

Happy for the kids, but also wish more for the kids. The coaching staff has to make them better defensively. They have to make more and better contact. I just don't see it. Head coach that doesn't work hard with the boys and an assistant staff full of dad's. The administration needs to open their eye and actually see whats going on. There is way too much talent at Powell County to be getting wasted.
Powell should be really really good year in year our. Being so close to Lexington they have a big advantage over other 14th region teams. Something needs to change there. How much money they put into the program?
I had no idea powell had dads? I thought the head coach was a young kid that doesn’t have one old enough to play yet? Did they get a new coach?
(12-08-2022, 02:59 AM)14th Official Wrote: I had no idea powell had dads? I thought the head coach was a young kid that doesn’t have one old enough to play yet? Did they get a new coach?
It is the same head coach. Young guy, but all 4 assistants are dads. There is a ton of talent there, but not sure there is a ton of great baseball instruction going on. 

How much money do they put in the program?  None, the team has to raise it all. They don't have an indoor hitting facility, like they have been promised. They have a drop down net in the gym so they can hit.
(12-09-2022, 12:46 PM)BaseballPirate Wrote:
(12-08-2022, 02:59 AM)14th Official Wrote: I had no idea powell had dads? I thought the head coach was a young kid that doesn’t have one old enough to play yet? Did they get a new coach?
It is the same head coach. Young guy, but all 4 assistants are dads. There is a ton of talent there, but not sure there is a ton of great baseball instruction going on. 

How much money do they put in the program?  None, the team has to raise it all. They don't have an indoor hitting facility, like they have been promised. They have a drop down net in the gym so they can hit.

If you have talent you can win. I've personally saw Powell play several times and they are competitive in the games I've watched. I'm pretty sure they have a good middle school feeder program so they will be fine.
(12-09-2022, 01:30 PM)baseballfan06 Wrote:
(12-09-2022, 12:46 PM)BaseballPirate Wrote:

If you have talent you can win. I've personally saw Powell play several times and they are competitive in the games I've watched. I'm pretty sure they have a good middle school feeder program so they will be fine.

I think the 14th Region as a whole is much better whenever Powell County is good. When you have two teams coming out of the 56th that can beat anyone, it makes it a really competitive tournament
[-] The following 1 user Likes 14th Official's post:
  • Bluecat
What is Estill County’s outlook for the season? They are one of the bigger schools in the region and in a good location and have traditionally had solid baseball programs.
Thomas Forehands touching 90 with his fastball from what I’ve been hearing. Gonna be hard for any team to hit him.
(12-31-2022, 11:20 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: What is Estill County’s outlook for the season? They are one of the bigger schools in the region and in a good location and have traditionally had solid baseball programs.

beefed up the schedule a little bit. 

Road games:

At Dunbar
at Lex Cath
at KCC
Shelby Valley (at LCC)
At Fleming County (2A tourney)
At Bourbon County

home and home

Whitley County
LCC
PCC (back to back nights)
powell County (back to back nights)
Rockcastle County 
Berea 
Montgomery County
Wolfe County
Jackson County

Tournaments:
Blake Crowe Memorial (Estill GRC Great Crossing LCC Mason County Powell County)

Blake Crowe Night at Berea College against Madison Central
Pikeville Invitational (Pikeville/Russell)
Was looking at schedules on KHSAA. Is Perry and Hazard not playing this year?
I spoke to Meehan yesterday, he said Perry was afraid to play them.
(07-08-2022, 03:21 PM)River Cats Wrote: Early Top 5 for 14th Region 2023?
Hazard
P. Central
Breathitt
Estill
Powell/ Wolf

Estill will have 5/6 good mid 70's /80 mph arms and couple throw in some junk. 
Forehand, Brewer, Benton, Hix, Chaney, Niece
(10-23-2022, 10:43 AM)BaseballPirate Wrote: Hazard: Coaching, Talent, Experience. Top notice program that knows how to win.

PCC: Great coaching staff. One of the top pitchers in the region returning. They did lose a lot from last year, but they have a coach that always has his team ready.

LCC: Coach Dean is back and he is a big factor. They lost 3 seniors, but return a lot of strong talent. Coach Dean will have his team in the top 3 for years to come.

Estill:  They lost 3 big contributors from last season. Flynn and Niece will have big shoes to fill, but Estill is always up for the challenge. They consistently play a tough schedule to get them ready for the post season.

Wolfe: Youth is their strength.  They lose a senior, but they have one of the best young groups in the region. Coach Rigsby has coached for years and has them playing Lexington teams. Watch out for them.

Breathitt:  Return the teams top 2 pitchers and have a couple really string young players. Coach Hamilton brings his experience from EKU and spreads it with his players.

Powell: Made it to finals of the region last season. They return the core of their team and adds a very strong Freshman group. Watch those Freshmen, many may be starting by post season.  5 hits off an 8th grader, 1 against BC, and 1 against Hazard in Region, not great.

Leslie: Their Freshman group went undefeated last season. This is a groupnto watch for.

1. Hazard- Meahan, talent, and experience.
2. LCC- Coach Dean is a huge factor.
3. Estill- Coach's prepare them for battle.
4 Wolfe- That young group will be fun to watch.
5. PCC- Coach has a ton for experience and PCC always competes. 
6. Breathitt- Return 2 strong starting pitchers. Coached very well.
7. Powell- Returns a ton and has good talent. Coaching is the question. Weak scheduling and no proven coaching staff.
8. Leslie- That young group could shock some teams this year.
Nice breakdown!