Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bath County Coaching Job
I heard a rumor that Larry Bowling is new HS Football coach.

He is one of the SROs in the school system.

I guess the sideline will be safe.
Bath County is making a strong push for Worst Administration in Kentucky
Bowling was for a fact one of the driving forces on getting Johnny Poynter fired 2 years ago in the middle of the season. He has no coaching experience other than Junior leagues and helping middle school teams. Heard there wasn’t much to chose from. I’m sure he will be a short timer just like Chris Lane.

The administration at both middle and high school in Bath Co are a joke.

No good coach will take the job because they don’t want to play the politics game with the “powers behind the throne” booster club president.

Good Luck to the Cats though.
He'll be really good at making sure there are balls on the field during practice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Smoke’m
Bath County is looking more and more like amateur hour in their football program hires. They ran the last real coach they had out in Poynter.
Bath County !!!!!!! Hahahaha
I have held my tongue long enough. I played at bath county from 2006-2009 and was part of two successful teams ( by bath county standards.) I understand that we aren’t the corbin’s and trinity’s of the state. My group played the game simply because we loved it. We loved the game, our coaches, our community and each other. I didn’t play for poynter nor did I have anything to do with the program while he was here. With that being said, I did sit in the stands and watch him do absolutely nothing here for five and a half years (in particular with one group who was supposed to be one of the best teams bath county has ever had). I have also been told that players had zero respect for him and him coaching staff because of certain actions and events that took place. A coach is supposed to be a positive role model for kids, especially in a small town and from what I have both seen and heard, he was the complete opposite. If that makes him good coach in your book then you obviously have a negative outlook on what this game is and a negative outlook on life.

Now to the current coaching change, Chris Lane took this program from the dark ages and salvaged as much as he could. So his “short time” here was very affective and positive. He got kids to come and play for his team ( many who would not play for the previous coach) and led them to a respectable record last year. I wish Larry Bowling the best and hope he has a very successful season. Continue to build this program back up (that Darth Vader and smoke’s favorite coach destroyed) and get kids to come out and play.

Go Cats
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redblood42's post:
  • FCSPY
Always good to hear things from a former players perspective and someone that is in the community w roots.
(06-27-2022, 01:49 AM)Redblood42 Wrote: I have held my tongue long enough. I played at bath county from 2006-2009 and was part of two successful teams ( by bath county standards.) I understand that we aren’t the corbin’s and trinity’s of the state. My group played the game simply because we loved it. We loved the game, our coaches, our community and each other. I didn’t play for poynter nor did I have anything to do with the program while he was here. With that being said, I did sit in the stands and watch him do absolutely nothing here for five and a half years (in particular with one group who was supposed to be one of the best teams bath county has ever had). I have also been told that players had zero respect for him and him coaching staff because of certain actions and events that took place. A coach is supposed to be a positive role model for kids, especially in a small town and from what I have both seen and heard, he was the complete opposite. If that makes him good coach in your book then you obviously have a negative outlook on what this game is and a negative outlook on life.

Now to the current coaching change, Chris Lane took this program from the dark ages and salvaged as much as he could. So his “short time” here was very affective and positive. He got kids to come and play for his team ( many who would not play for the previous coach) and led them to a respectable record last year. I wish Larry Bowling the best and hope he has a very successful season. Continue to build this program back up (that Darth Vader and smoke’s favorite coach destroyed) and get kids to come out and play.

Go Cats

Explain how he was not a positive role model ?
FCSPY, (my apologies, I’m new on here and don’t know how to specifically reply to someone yet but I’ll figure it out eventually). I will state just what I had witnessed on Friday nights and watching a few practices.

1) the way he addressed his players is not becoming of a head coach.
1A). The language that we being used is unacceptable for any level or football, youth-NFL. I understand that these boys were 16, 17, and 18 years old. However no coach should be using the F word every other sentence addressing a player or a team. I’m not saying every coach should censorship every sentence but there is a point where language goes too far. I believe it was his second year here, I was in the parking lot (with my 2 year old son) watching the varsity team’s summer practice. I’m not sure what was said by the team or if they did something wrong, but the quote “who is the chicken sh!t c***sucker who doesn’t want to hit” should never be appropriate while leading a team of kids. (In that situation, I left the practice because I did not want my son to be around that type of environment. That’s just my opinion on that but you you deem that appropriate then I’ll let you have that.
1B) His way of coaching was very degrading. The majority of the time, it was yelling at his players and to be honest border line bullying his players. It is perfectly fine to get loud and “tear their butts” if you will, but build them back up after you do. To make this point simpler, I saw nothing but tearing down, with no building back up, if that makes sense.

Like I said I did not play for him nor was I involved with the program while he was here other than being a spectator. However, like cadets1988 stated, I live in this community and have a lot of relationships with people, some who are very tied into the football program. I’m not much on spreading rumors to which I don’t know the validity of so I will leave other topics out. but I have heard from numerous people, as well as former players, on how he treats not only the kids, but coaches as well. I will go on record and say this, if my son ever grows up to be like Johnny poynter and treats people the way he does, I would be deeply embarrassed. We are Bath county Kentucky, we aren’t known for sports program or academic excellence. But one thing Bath County does well is producing good hearted people.

Moving forward I take a lot of pride in my community which is why I felt the need to get on here and defend it from the vultures who are on this site, many of which do not know the circumstances that have sent Bath County football into this dark place. With that being said, Johnny Poynter is no longer the coach here Bath County and as a Bath countian, I, along with many others, no not claim him as a product of Bath County. As a community we are going to support and stand with the new coach and this football team, because here it’s about loving the game of football and an event that rallies everybody together. Something that we missed for a long time here.

Go Cats
[-] The following 2 users Like Redblood42's post:
  • FCSPY, papagrit
Good insight, thanks for reply! Feel like u Gave a good testament to what the people in bath county are. From
My experience.
(06-27-2022, 03:31 PM)Redblood42 Wrote: FCSPY, (my apologies, I’m new on here and don’t know how to specifically reply to someone yet but I’ll figure it out eventually). I will state just what I had witnessed on Friday nights and watching a few practices.

1A). The language that we being used is unacceptable for any level or football, youth-NFL. I understand that these boys were 16, 17, and 18 years old. However no coach should be using the F word every other sentence addressing a player or a team. I’m not saying every coach should censorship every sentence but there is a point where language goes too far. I believe it was his second year here, I was in the parking lot (with my 2 year old son) watching the varsity team’s summer practice. I’m not sure what was said by the team or if they did something wrong, but the quote “who is the chicken sh!t c***sucker who doesn’t want to hit” should never be appropriate while leading a team of kids. (In that situation, I left the practice because I did not want my son to be around that type of environment. That’s just my opinion on that but you you deem that appropriate then I’ll let you have that.
    1B) His way of coaching was very degrading. The majority of the time, it was yelling at his players and to be honest border line bullying his players. It is perfectly fine to get loud and “tear their butts” if you will, but build them back up after you do.  To make this point simpler, I saw nothing but tearing down, with no building back up, if that makes sense.

Like I said I did not play for him nor was I involved with the program while he was here other than being a spectator. However, like cadets1988 stated, I live in this community and have a lot of relationships with people, some who are very tied into the football program. I’m not much on spreading rumors to which I don’t know the validity of so I will leave other topics out. but I have heard from numerous people, as well as former players, on how he treats not only the kids, but coaches as well. I will go on record and say this, if my son ever grows up to be like Johnny poynter and treats people the way he does, I would be deeply embarrassed. We are Bath county Kentucky, we aren’t known for sports program or academic excellence. But one thing Bath County does well is producing good hearted people.

Moving forward I take a lot of pride in my community which is why I felt the need to get on here and defend it from the vultures who are on this site, many of which do not know the circumstances that have sent Bath County football into this dark place. With that being said, Johnny Poynter is no longer the coach here Bath County and as a Bath countian, I, along with many others, no not claim him as a product of Bath County. As a community we are going to support and stand with the new coach and this football team, because here it’s about loving the game of football and an event that rallies everybody together. Something that we missed for a long time here.

Go Cats
It’s foolish to believe that any head coach the last 10 years at Bath has called the shots. We all know who makes the decisions and tells the coaches who they can and can’t play. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, they have to answer to the king and queen. Why do you think Chris Lane left? He was looking for a way out before he finished his first season. It’ll never change in Bath Co. Unless they get a good coach who can coach without being told what to do. Same goes for every sport in BC.
(06-27-2022, 04:56 PM)Smoke’m Wrote:
(06-27-2022, 03:31 PM)Redblood42 Wrote: FCSPY, (my apologies, I’m new on here and don’t know how to specifically reply to someone yet but I’ll figure it out eventually). I will state just what I had witnessed on Friday nights and watching a few practices.

1B) His way of coaching was very degrading. The majority of the time, it was yelling at his players and to be honest border line bullying his players. It is perfectly fine to get loud and “tear their butts” if you will, but build them back up after you do.  To make this point simpler, I saw nothing but tearing down, with no building back up, if that makes sense.

Go Cats
It’s foolish to believe that any head coach the last 10 years at Bath has called the shots. We all know who makes the decisions and tells the coaches who they can and can’t play. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, they have to answer to the king and queen. Why do you think Chris Lane left? He was looking for a way out before he finished his first season. It’ll never change in Bath Co. Unless they get a good coach who can coach without being told what to do. Same goes for every sport in BC.
Smoke’m (once again still trying to figure out how to reply to a post) I cannot argue with you about Bath County being a political place, your claim unfortunately is correct. I feel that there are many programs in the state where politics collides with sports programs. It’s a shame but it is also reality. Though your claim is true I wouldn’t go as far as saying that “the king and queen determines who plays and who doesn’t” I feel that is a stretch of the truth. I know for a 100% fact however that the booster club does have an influence on who the coach is, who to hire, who gets fired etc. The way I understood your last post was the “king and queen” tell the coach which offense to run, which defense to run etc. I do know for a fact that is not how the program is ran. The boosters do not make on field decisions.

Regarding coach Lane, I do not believe that he was looking for a way out, especially during the season. Bath county wouldn’t have had spring ball and a spring football game of that was the case. I think it was more of a instance where a opportunity came up to where he could coach college ball and took it.
(06-27-2022, 06:13 PM)Redblood42 Wrote: Smoke’m (once again still trying to figure out how to reply to a post) I cannot argue with you about Bath County being a political place, your claim unfortunately is correct. I feel that there are many programs in the state where politics collides with sports programs. It’s a shame but it is also reality. Though your claim is true I wouldn’t go as far as saying that “the king and queen determines who plays and who doesn’t” I feel that is a stretch of the truth. I know for a 100% fact however that the booster club does have an influence on who the coach is, who to hire, who gets fired etc. The way I understood your last post was the “king and queen” tell the coach which offense to run, which defense to run etc. I do know for a fact that is not how the program is ran. The boosters do not make on field decisions.

Regarding coach Lane, I do not believe that he was looking for a way out, especially during the season. Bath county wouldn’t have had spring ball and a spring football game of that was the case. I think it was more of a instance where a opportunity came up to where he could coach college ball and took it.

My sources in Bath County told me he had applied at a few places back in the winter. According to my source, Breathitt County was a place he applied to be on their staff. That tells me he was looking for another opportunity and BC was just a stepping stone for him. Also, Lane and administration butted heads over a promised teaching job. I wish Bath County well and mean no disrespect to the Bowling guy, but after this season they need a complete rebuild with a real coach. Someone with real high school coaching experience. It’s not middle school ball or junior league. He may be a “good guy” and “the kids love him” but that doesn’t win you games. And at the end of the day. That’s what you’re hired to do in high school football.
I'm glad others know what really goes on in Bath County.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Smoke’m