Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best country bands ever
A lazy Sunday thread designed to make JP’s head explode. My take on the best country bands ever, I’m talking about groups that actually played their own instruments, not an act like Brooks and Dunn where 99% of the music is played by backing musicians. From 10-1, here we go.

10. The Carter Family—I’m really only ranking more modern acts, but you have to mention the first real country group that influenced things for years.

9. Restless Heart—Much underrated 90s act, lots of excellent songs in their catalog.

8. Rascal Flatts—To me, the country equivalent of Journey, a tremendous lead singer, but some of the material just so-so.

7. Charlie Daniels Band—Considered a rock act when they first started, outstanding musicianship across the board.

6.  The Highwaymen—Hard to go wrong with a supergroup of Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson and Cash.

5.  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band—Another highly underappreciated act, tremendous live, outstanding musicians.

4.  Zac Brown Band—Also fantastic live, they can play almost any genre. Their version of Devil Went Down to Georgia is the absolute best.

3.  Alabama—People from my age range know that this was the act that made country cool again for a lot of the younger set. Still probably don’t get their due. 

2.  The Dixie Chicks—Now just ‘The Chicks’, one of the best acts ever in any genre. Their material is just sublime, the McGuire sisters are unparalleled musicians, and Natalie Mains is the best female country singer of all time. Would be number one in almost any ranking if it wasn’t for….

1.  The Eagles—‘Desperado’. ‘Tequila Sunrise’. ‘New Kid in Town’. ‘Peaceful, Easy Feeling.’ ‘I Can’t Tell You Why.’ ‘Take It Easy.’ The list of iconic country songs just goes on and on and…..Oh wait, what? Some people consider them a rock band? Hmmmm.
Other names to think about:

Lonestar, Diamond Rio, Shenandoah (one of my personal favorites), Oak ridge boys
I agree with ALL of these!!
Are you folks kidding me?  What about a band that has had members residing from Richmond, Berea, and London?

I saw these guys a few years ago  in Corbin expecting a washed up couple of original members and three or four guys in their twenties nobody had ever heard of. Boy, was I wrong!  J.P. Pennington, Les Taylor, Sonny LeMaire, Marlon Hargis and Steve Goetzman  showed up and blew everyone away with a fantastic show.  One of the best country bands ever.  These guys opened for groups like Heart, Areosmith, and Fleetwood Mac . Originally formed  in Richmond, KY in 1963:

I used to dance to this one at a local club here in Corbin in the early 90's:

Good thread. I get the point Van is trying to make but would never consider The Eagles to be a country band. If they were you would have to throw in many dozens of other acts as well, right on down to The King, Elvis.

I always liked solo acts better in Country

Willie Nelson
Waylon Jennings
Johnny Cash
Hank Jr
George Strait
Keith Whitley
Gary Stewart
By my count, they had 11 #1 country singles and this #1 MONSTER smash pop/rock smash in 1978, featuring founding member Jimmy Stokley(RIP) of Richmond , KY on vocals :

^^^Exile was ok but that is one of the worst songs ever recorded lol...Truly horrible
(02-19-2023, 02:15 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Exile was ok but that is one of the worst songs ever recorded lol...Truly horrible
You're probably being too kind. I turned the volume all the way down or switched stations every time that song was played. If there was ever a worse song played on radio stations more than once, I have never heard it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot
Lol!
(02-19-2023, 02:46 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Lol!

All of Hoot's and Jet's friends  were getting laid to Jimmy Stokely and J.P Pennington singing that song in '78 but not a single piece of tail for my two conservative buds. lol  Very understandable why they hate that song. LOL

More babies conceived to that song in the late seventies than any other.
Sold, I think, in excess of 5 million copies. Maybe more.

A very unusual song, "Kiss You All Over" combines elements of rock and disco, which was the stylistic sweet spot of 1978. It was the first song Mike Chapman wrote on a keyboard instead of guitar; the instrument could replicate strings, which gave him a new sonic arsenal.

In an interview with Billboard, Chapman said: "It's a very unusual song and is very much about what music in the US is all about in 1978. It's MOR (Middle Of the Road) soft rock, slightly disco though not pure disco, and has a sensuous lyric line that Americans love. Americans are big lyric listeners and listen to every word."

Those lyrics Chapman speaks of lay out some extended foreplay, as our hero promises to cover his lady with kisses "Till the night closes in." You can imagine what happens next.
^^^I got laid more on accident that you did on purpose OSH!
(02-19-2023, 03:09 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I got laid more on accident that you did on purpose OSH!

LOL
I gave some consideration to Exile, because they did produce some pretty good country songs over the years. But “Kiss You All Over” was more than enough to keep them out.

As for the Eagles, I was just pulling your chain a little JP, we’ve had this convo before. They are really sorta hard to put a label on, but I do think they are the quintessential American band, and Henley and Frey were sorta the American equivalent of Lennon-McCartney, just not to the same culture changing extent.

Putting labels on music can cost you from hearing some really good music. Case in point. I really like Keith Urban, saw him a few months ago at Rupp and he was fabulous. He is labeled a country artist, if you don’t care for country you might not give him a try. But the only thing ‘country’ about him is he’s from a country. This was a full scale rock and roll show. That’s just one example, gotta let yourself be open to at least listening to pretty much anything.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
(02-19-2023, 03:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

All of Hoot's and Jet's friends  were getting laid to Jimmy Stokely and J.P Pennington singing that song in '78 but not a single piece of tail for my two conservative buds. lol  Very understandable why they hate that song. LOL

A very unusual song, "Kiss You All Over" combines elements of rock and disco, which was the stylistic sweet spot of 1978. It was the first song Mike Chapman wrote on a keyboard instead of guitar; the instrument could replicate strings, which gave him a new sonic arsenal.

In an interview with Billboard, Chapman said: "It's a very unusual song and is very much about what music in the US is all about in 1978. It's MOR (Middle Of the Road) soft rock, slightly disco though not pure disco, and has a sensuous lyric line that Americans love. Americans are big lyric listeners and listen to every word."

Those lyrics Chapman speaks of lay out some extended foreplay, as our hero promises to cover his lady with kisses "Till the night closes in." You can imagine what happens next.
Whatever "Kiss You All Over," it was not country music, and Exile was not a Country band.
I have always been a big Alabama fan. They were in concert at EKU when I was a student there. I chose to study for a test instead of going to the concert. I regret that decision to this day.
(02-19-2023, 09:32 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: A lazy Sunday thread designed to make JP’s head explode. My take on the best country bands ever, I’m talking about groups that actually played their own instruments, not an act like Brooks and Dunn where 99% of the music is played by backing musicians. From 10-1, here we go.

10. The Carter Family—I’m really only ranking more modern acts, but you have to mention the first real country group that influenced things for years.

9. Restless Heart—Much underrated 90s act, lots of excellent songs in their catalog.

8. Rascal Flatts—To me, the country equivalent of Journey, a tremendous lead singer, but some of the material just so-so.

7. Charlie Daniels Band—Considered a rock act when they first started, outstanding musicianship across the board.

6.  The Highwaymen—Hard to go wrong with a supergroup of Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson and Cash.

5.  Nitty Gritty Dirt Band—Another highly underappreciated act, tremendous live, outstanding musicians.

4.  Zac Brown Band—Also fantastic live, they can play almost any genre. Their version of Devil Went Down to Georgia is the absolute best.

3.  Alabama—People from my age range know that this was the act that made country cool again for a lot of the younger set. Still probably don’t get their due. 

2.  The Dixie Chicks—Now just ‘The Chicks’, one of the best acts ever in any genre. Their material is just sublime, the McGuire sisters are unparalleled musicians, and Natalie Mains is the best female country singer of all time. Would be number one in almost any ranking if it wasn’t for….

1.  The Eagles—‘Desperado’. ‘Tequila Sunrise’. ‘New Kid in Town’. ‘Peaceful, Easy Feeling.’ ‘I Can’t Tell You Why.’ ‘Take It Easy.’ The list of iconic country songs just goes on and on and…..Oh wait, what? Some people consider them a rock band? Hmmmm.

Saw RH about a dozen years ago. Simply superb. One of the best harmonizing groups ever. Love them!!!

(02-19-2023, 04:13 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Whatever "Kiss You All Over," it was not country music, and Exile was not a Country band.

Not country in their original incarnation with Jimmy Stokely but they certainly transitioned to country later in the 80's and 90's.

(02-20-2023, 04:48 PM)Westside Wrote: I have always been a big Alabama fan.  They were in concert at EKU when I was a student there.  I chose to study for a test instead of going to the concert.  Smile

You made the right choice.  lol

Do you remember what test you were studying for?
(02-20-2023, 05:56 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-19-2023, 09:32 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: A lazy Sunday thread designed to make JP’s head explode. My take on the best country bands ever, I’m talking about groups that actually played their own instruments, not an act like Brooks and Dunn where 99% of the music is played by backing musicians. From 10-1, here we go.

Saw RH about a dozen years ago. Simply superb. One of the best harmonizing groups ever. Love them!!!

Not country in their original incarnation with Jimmy Stokely but they certainly transitioned to country later in the 80's and 90's.

(02-20-2023, 04:48 PM)Westside Wrote: I have always been a big Alabama fan.  They were in concert at EKU when I was a student there.  I chose to study for a test instead of going to the concert.  Smile

Exile was not a country band when they sang "Kiss You All Over" and "Kiss You All Over" was about as far from country music as a Bee Gees tune from the 70s was.
(02-20-2023, 07:41 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Exile was not a country band when they sang "Kiss You All Over" and "Kiss You All Over" was about as far from country music as a Bee Gees tune from the 70s was.

1978 Bee Gees country music :

Appreciate your passion on ‘Kiss You All Over,’ OSH, but this is a bi-partisan agreement….it was horrific. Now Exile did mutate into a solid country band later on, here’s one I would consider their best.

And I’m glad you mentioned your love for Restless Heart, I think they are one of the most underrated acts ever in any category. I saw them at Renfro Valley probably four years ago with the original lineup, including Larry Stewart, their tremendous lead vocalist, and they were just jaw-droppingly good live. I really wish they’d your again.
(02-20-2023, 08:47 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Appreciate your passion on ‘Kiss You All Over,’ OSH, but this is a bi-partisan agreement….it was horrific. Now Exile did mutate into a solid country band later on, here’s one I would consider their best.

And I’m glad you mentioned your love for Restless Heart, I think they are one of the most underrated acts ever in any category. I saw them at Renfro Valley probably four years ago with the original lineup, including Larry Stewart, their tremendous lead vocalist, and they were just jaw-droppingly good live. I really wish they’d your again.

The RH  show I saw about ten or twelve years ago was one of the best shows I've seen. You said it best; they were jaw-droppingly good. Incredible harmonies.

Btw, I  never said I was passionately in love. with KYAL. lol  It was never anywhere near one of my favorites. I think it was just okay. I certainly don't hate the song  I could never hate a song that helped me get so much good loving from desireable females back in the day.  Thank you Exile and Bay City Rollers("The Way I Feel Tonight")   lol .

Btw, if I had said what a demonstratively horrible song I thought KYAL was, Hoot and Jet would have said it was one of the best songs of all time. lol
^^^No OSH we have our own opinions and don't have them assigned to us like you do. You should know that especially when it comes to music where I agree with you 99% of the time.

It was a 400 level education class.  An EDF class if I remember correctly.
(02-21-2023, 03:08 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^No OSH we have our own opinions and don't have them assigned to us like you do. You should know that especially when it comes to music where I agree with you 99% of the time.

That's true. I shouldn't have included you.  You and I do agree on music most of the time. Now Hoot would probably argue the sky color.  lol

(02-21-2023, 04:24 PM)Westside Wrote:

I think you were at EKU around the time I was there. ('80-'83)  Fortunately, I was able to avoid the EDF's.
(02-21-2023, 05:59 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 03:08 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^No OSH we have our own opinions and don't have them assigned to us like you do. You should know that especially when it comes to music where I agree with you 99% of the time.

That's true. I shouldn't have included you.  You and I do agree on music most of the time. Now Hoot would probably argue the sky color.  lol

(02-21-2023, 04:24 PM)Westside Wrote:

(02-19-2023, 03:04 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: All of Hoot's and Jet's friends  were getting laid to Jimmy Stokely and J.P Pennington singing that song in '78 but not a single piece of tail for my two conservative buds. lol  Very understandable why they hate that song. LOL

I think you were at EKU around the time I was there. ('80-'83)  Fortunately, I was able to avoid the EDF's.

I was at EKU in the mid 90's.
(02-21-2023, 06:25 PM)Westside Wrote: Old School Houndjetpilot^^^No OSH we have our own opinions and don't have them assigned to us like you do. You should know that especially when it comes to music where I agree with you 99% of the time.

That's true. I shouldn't have included you. You and I do agree on music most of the time. Now Hoot would probably argue the sky color. lolWestsideOld School HoundVan HagarA lazy Sunday thread designed to make JP’s head explode. My take on the best country bands ever, I’m talking about groups that actually played their own instruments, not an act like Brooks and Dunn where 99% of the music is played by backing musicians. From 10-1, here we go.
6. The Highwaymen—Hard to go wrong with a supergroup of Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson and Cash.
5. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band—Another highly underappreciated act, tremendous live, outstanding musicians.
4. Zac Brown Band—Also fantastic live, they can play almost any genre. Their version of Devil Went Down to Georgia is the absolute best.
3. Alabama—People from my age range know that this was the act that made country cool again for a lot of the younger set. Still probably don’t get their due. 
2. The Dixie Chicks—Now just ‘The Chicks’, one of the best acts ever in any genre. Their material is just sublime, the McGuire sisters are unparalleled musicians, and Natalie Mains is the best female country singer of all time. Would be number one in almost any ranking if it wasn’t for….
1. The Eagles—‘Desperado’. ‘Tequila Sunrise’. ‘New Kid in Town’. ‘Peaceful, Easy Feeling.’ ‘I Can’t Tell You Why.’ ‘Take It Easy.’ The list of iconic country songs just goes on and on and…..Oh wait, what? Some people consider them a rock band? Hmmmm.

Saw RH about a dozen years ago. Simply superb. One of the best harmonizing groups ever. Love them!!!Hoot GibsonWhatever "Kiss You All Over," it was not country music, and Exile was not a Country band.

Not country in their original incarnation with Jimmy Stokely but they certainly transitioned to country later in the 80's and 90's.WestsideI have always been a big Alabama fan. They were in concert at EKU when I was a student there. I chose to study for a test instead of going to the concert. 

You made the right choice. lol
It was a 400 level education class. An EDF class if I remember correctly.

I think you were at EKU around the time I was there. ('80-'83) Fortunately, I was able to avoid the EDF's.

So was I. I don't remember Alabama coming to EKU. I miss EKU. 
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(02-21-2023, 07:51 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(02-21-2023, 06:25 PM)Westside Wrote: Old School Houndjetpilot^^^No OSH we have our own opinions and don't have them assigned to us like you do. You should know that especially when it comes to music where I agree with you 99% of the time.

That's true. I shouldn't have included you. You and I do agree on music most of the time. Now Hoot would probably argue the sky color. lolWestsideOld School HoundVan HagarA lazy Sunday thread designed to make JP’s head explode. My take on the best country bands ever, I’m talking about groups that actually played their own instruments, not an act like Brooks and Dunn where 99% of the music is played by backing musicians. From 10-1, here we go.
6. The Highwaymen—Hard to go wrong with a supergroup of Waylon, Willie, Kristofferson and Cash.
5. Nitty Gritty Dirt Band—Another highly underappreciated act, tremendous live, outstanding musicians.
4. Zac Brown Band—Also fantastic live, they can play almost any genre. Their version of Devil Went Down to Georgia is the absolute best.
3. Alabama—People from my age range know that this was the act that made country cool again for a lot of the younger set. Still probably don’t get their due. 
2. The Dixie Chicks—Now just ‘The Chicks’, one of the best acts ever in any genre. Their material is just sublime, the McGuire sisters are unparalleled musicians, and Natalie Mains is the best female country singer of all time. Would be number one in almost any ranking if it wasn’t for….
1. The Eagles—‘Desperado’. ‘Tequila Sunrise’. ‘New Kid in Town’. ‘Peaceful, Easy Feeling.’ ‘I Can’t Tell You Why.’ ‘Take It Easy.’ The list of iconic country songs just goes on and on and…..Oh wait, what? Some people consider them a rock band? Hmmmm.

Saw RH about a dozen years ago. Simply superb. One of the best harmonizing groups ever. Love them!!!Hoot GibsonWhatever "Kiss You All Over," it was not country music, and Exile was not a Country band.

Not country in their original incarnation with Jimmy Stokely but they certainly transitioned to country later in the 80's and 90's.WestsideI have always been a big Alabama fan. They were in concert at EKU when I was a student there. I chose to study for a test instead of going to the concert. 

You made the right choice. lol
It was a 400 level education class. An EDF class if I remember correctly.

I think you were at EKU around the time I was there. ('80-'83) Fortunately, I was able to avoid the EDF's.

So was I. I don't remember Alabama coming to EKU. I miss EKU. 

I just looked it up.  They play Alumni on March 16, 1995 at 7:30 pm.  Neil McCoy opened for them.
The only concert I went to while I was at EKU was.... George Carlin.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside