Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th region tournament
Well, it is time to see who lives up to the billing, who overachieves, or who shocks the world. What a great run it has been this year. All things lead up to this moment. Everything that has been put into a grueling long season comes down to this. Going to be a great tournament hosted by the Wolves. Get your popcorn ready as we sit back and watch some great softball. Love watching the 14th and good luck to every team.
Well all the pressure is on Estill and Perry. They both have been seen as the favorites by most all season. Wolfe and Letcher are more than capable of making a run if they can get hot. Tournament time affects all kids and teams different. Some kids play better under pressure and some struggle to handle it.
The semifinals and Finals should be some great games.
(05-21-2022, 11:44 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Well all the pressure is on Estill and Perry. They both have been seen as the favorites by most all season. Wolfe and Letcher are more than capable of making a run if they can get hot. Tournament time affects all kids and teams different. Some kids play better under pressure and some struggle to handle it.
What happens if estill doesn’t win the region this year with what has been billed as “the best team” to ever come through estill county? Do they fall off completely as a program after this season? Also the same question for Perry. While Hughes isn’t as dominant power wise as winkle, she moves the ball well and locates it well also. With her graduating along with Dixon and I believe the starting 3rd baseman also does. How does that affect them going forward? You’re most definitely right redsfan. The pressure is on both of these teams big time. Can’t wait to see how it all unfolds.
(05-21-2022, 11:44 PM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Well all the pressure is on Estill and Perry. They both have been seen as the favorites by most all season. Wolfe and Letcher are more than capable of making a run if they can get hot. Tournament time affects all kids and teams different. Some kids play better under pressure and some struggle to handle it.
Agreed Redsfan. Estill and Perry definitely have all the pressure. IMO Coach West, even though losing to the Commodores already earlier in the year, I think has the most pressure to win. After him promising, as you’ve said before, “he would take Estill softball to a new level” has not done that!!!  They do play better competition throughout the year. But when playing against the better 14th region teams, they haven’t came through with the loss to Perry. I also think this group being the so called “best Estill team in a while” has not lived up to the billing after run ruling everyone last year and returning every starter minus one.  Interesting situation in irvine. And as you’ve said, all kids handle pressure differently. This regional play will tell the tale. 

As for Perry, I do think this is the best team they’ve had in a while. The Commodores have had many good pitchers over the last few years, but I think Kim Hughes is the best in a bit. Moves the ball great and keeps batters off balance. They are very athletic in the infield and outfield with the Dixon girls. Every batter is capable of putting the ball in play. Bobby is an amazing coach, but I think that everyone in Perry County is tired of being a contender. They want that region championship trophy in Hazard! If they win the Knott County game, them playing the Wolves with a home team advantage will be a good one.  

Wolfe with the new coach has had an average year. They’ve been great at times, but fumbled in others. However, once Coach Howard gets things going the way she wants, this group could really be good. I’m interested to see how the next few years play out. Big steps to fill coming in after Benny. But I’m quite certain after coaching Pikeville she’s up to the test. 

Letcher Central is the least I know about a team. Being way down there in the bottom of the mountains, I’ve not got to watch a lot of their games. Like the Wolves, Coach Perkins has had them clicking at times. It will be interesting to watch and see if they can make a run in the tournament. 

I still think that Knott could make a run looking at their body of work. 

My sleeper is Breathitt. They’ve beaten all the good teams in the 14th at least once minus the Engineers. They play really well at times. Pennington and Butler make a nice one two punch in the circle. They also HIT!  Don’t throw it over the plate with this bunch. 

Looking forward to this week.
(05-22-2022, 10:17 AM)Lowdown Wrote:
Agreed Redsfan. Estill and Perry definitely have all the pressure. IMO Coach West, even though losing to the Commodores already earlier in the year, I think has the most pressure to win. After him promising, as you’ve said before, “he would take Estill softball to a new level” has not done that!!!  They do play better competition throughout the year. But when playing against the better 14th region teams, they haven’t came through with the loss to Perry. I also think this group being the so called “best Estill team in a while” has not lived up to the billing after run ruling everyone last year and returning every starter minus one.  Interesting situation in irvine. And as you’ve said, all kids handle pressure differently. This regional play will tell the tale. 

As for Perry, I do think this is the best team they’ve had in a while. The Commodores have had many good pitchers over the last few years, but I think Kim Hughes is the best in a bit. Moves the ball great and keeps batters off balance. They are very athletic in the infield and outfield with the Dixon girls. Every batter is capable of putting the ball in play. Bobby is an amazing coach, but I think that everyone in Perry County is tired of being a contender. They want that region championship trophy in Hazard! If they win the Knott County game, them playing the Wolves with a home team advantage will be a good one.  

Wolfe with the new coach has had an average year. They’ve been great at times, but fumbled in others. However, once Coach Howard gets things going the way she wants, this group could really be good. I’m interested to see how the next few years play out. Big steps to fill coming in after Benny. But I’m quite certain after coaching Pikeville she’s up to the test. 

Letcher Central is the least I know about a team. Being way down there in the bottom of the mountains, I’ve not got to watch a lot of their games. Like the Wolves, Coach Perkins has had them clicking at times. It will be interesting to watch and see if they can make a run in the tournament. 

I still think that Knott could make a run looking at their body of work. 

My sleeper is Breathitt. They’ve beaten all the good teams in the 14th at least once minus the Engineers. They play really well at times. Pennington and Butler make a nice one two punch in the circle. They also HIT!  Don’t throw it over the plate with this bunch. 

Looking forward to this week.
I think you’re right. West has made some promises that he definitely hasn’t delivered on. Was left with a program that was already established and made deep post season runs each year. Ratliff is a good coach but perry has had a pretty competitive softball program in years past. Similar to the situation at estill also. Team already had a bunch of winning seasons and made some post season runs also when he took over.  These two teams should be in the finals competing against each other. Should make for a good tourney.
Agreed Rookieoftheyear! All your points are valid. Gonna be interesting what happens this tourney.
Whether Estill or Perry wins it won’t destroy there programs lol. Estill lost 2 players from last years team which obviously has left an affect. As far as the “best team to ever come thru”, I am not sure anybody has claimed that. Especially since Estill has won 11 or 12 regions since being in the 14th, they have had plenty of really good teams. One thing to note is that with Estill getting all these new facilities, hopefully it can inspire some kids to move there and give Perry, Hazard, and Knott a taste of their own medicine lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BiscuitNGravy's post:
  • Region14fan
(05-24-2022, 11:03 AM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: Whether Estill or Perry wins it won’t destroy there programs lol. Estill lost 2 players from last years team which obviously has left an affect. As far as the “best team to ever come thru”, I am not sure anybody has claimed that. Especially since Estill has won 11 or 12 regions since being in the 14th, they have had plenty of really good teams. One thing to note is that with Estill getting all these new facilities, hopefully it can inspire some kids to move there and give Perry, Hazard, and Knott a taste of their own medicine lol.
Didn’t say it was gonna completely destroy their program but both teams lose several seniors. Some of which are key pieces to their offense and defense. Hard to replace winkle and Hughes on the mound and at the plate also. Farmer is a senior as well and is estills backup or whatever you want to call her pitcher. You think it’s going to be easy for estill to overcome losing both your pitchers at the same time? How about losing kailey Dixon? You think that won’t have a big time impact on Perry’s team you’re bad wrong. Her, Hughes and couch starting at 3rd is a big loss to that team as a whole. It probably will help pull some kids there. Who wouldn’t want to have all new everything. Perry already has it, knott has a nice field but nothing compared to perry and estills new facilities and let’s not even get started on what hazard has for facilities.
Should be an entertaining tournament this year. I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the teams make it to the second round except Lee
Agree that it should be entertaining this year, but don’t know why you went out of your way to slam Lee Co. they’re 10 & 12 and could reach 2nd round also.
Lee County has a good pitcher in Cundiff and any time you have a solid pitcher you have a chance. Wolfe can’t over look them.
(05-24-2022, 02:49 PM)Justthefacts1 Wrote: Agree that it should be entertaining this year, but don’t know why you went out of your way to slam Lee Co. they’re 10 & 12 and could reach 2nd round also.
How did I slam them exactly?  Them reaching the second round, taking down Wolfe on their home field would be a huge surprise
(05-24-2022, 01:48 PM)HollerRat Wrote: Should be an entertaining tournament this year.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see any of the teams make it to the second round except Lee
Definitely should be some good games. Can’t wait to watch and see how it all unfolds. Best of luck to all teams and coaches.
(05-24-2022, 11:03 AM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: Whether Estill or Perry wins it won’t destroy there programs lol. Estill lost 2 players from last years team which obviously has left an affect. As far as the “best team to ever come thru”, I am not sure anybody has claimed that. Especially since Estill has won 11 or 12 regions since being in the 14th, they have had plenty of really good teams. One thing to note is that with Estill getting all these new facilities, hopefully it can inspire some kids to move there and give Perry, Hazard, and Knott a taste of their own medicine lol.
BiscuitNgravy, I love the “give them some of their own medicine!”  Tickles me for someone to finally call it out.
Well Estill has an even bigger advantage getting to recruit kids from Lexington, WinchesYet, and Richmond. Just look at their baseball team this year. The big first baseman from Madison Central helped the cause. Perry and Hazard being located in the Sticks doesn’t help a lot with recruiting. They have to get mainly kids from the area. Flip flop kids a lot in the 54th. Now the basketball pipeline for PCC and Hazard runs from the Canada/Mexico border.
(05-25-2022, 10:53 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Well Estill has an even bigger advantage getting to recruit kids from Lexington, WinchesYet, and Richmond.  Just look at their baseball team this year.  The big first baseman from Madison Central helped the cause.  Perry and Hazard being located in the Sticks doesn’t help a lot with recruiting.  They have to get mainly kids from the area.  Flip flop kids a lot in the 54th.  Now the basketball pipeline for PCC and Hazard  runs from the Canada/Mexico border.
Well DukeBoy...I disagree. This will be the first time you have ever heard of a kid come or transfer to Estill County from outside the county. He came here due to the Madison Central football coach being fired and followed that coach to Estill. That same Coach brought his sons to play here as well. From Canada to Mexican border is definitely right. Perry Central is notorious for pulling kids from wherever for basketball. Pulled an Estill County basketball player last year. So being in the sticks doesn’t matter.
Lowdown, I hope Estill does well, don’t have a bad thing say about them. Just a long haul for us in the 54th. But you would think more kids would come to Estill to get a shot at playing.
(05-25-2022, 08:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Lowdown, I hope Estill does well, don’t have a bad thing say about them.  Just a long haul for us in the 54th.  But you would think more kids would come to Estill to get a shot at playing.
No Ill will or disrespect meant to you DukeBoy.  I’m not even from Estill County.  However, I do live in the 14th, so I am definitely aware that kids leave from time to time. With the opportunity to make it to a state title year in and year out would be a possibility. However, the Engineers being in a region championship softball drought may have an effect on kids not wanting to move to irvine. Who knows.

(05-26-2022, 03:41 AM)Lowdown Wrote:
(05-25-2022, 08:00 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Lowdown, I hope Estill does well, don’t have a bad thing say about them.  Just a long haul for us in the 54th.  But you would think more kids would come to Estill to get a shot at playing.
No Ill will or disrespect meant to you DukeBoy.  I’m not even from Estill County.  However, I do live in the 14th, so I am definitely aware that kids leave from time to time. It’s just never happened that kids go to Irvine to play sports. With the opportunity to make it to a state tournament year in and year out would be a possibility maybe. However, the Engineers being in a region championship softball drought may have an effect on kids not wanting to move to irvine. Who knows.
When was the last time a transfer moved into Estill for softball? I think back a few years ago a couple left and played elsewhere.
Nobody from the 54th would even know. Estill is a long ways from the Mountains.
So why is Estill a subject of “recruiting”?
I must be missing something
Their not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • Smokescreen
(05-26-2022, 12:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Nobody from the 54th would even know.  Estill is a long ways from the Mountains.
If you are referring to the physical geography Estill County is about as “mountains” as it gets. Have you ever been there?? Cow Creek Mountain is a bearcat and a nightmare in the winter when it is the least bit slick. School has to be canceled if it comes a heavy frost, lol.  Estill has some of the most hilly and rugged terrain in Kentucky, and some of the most curvy roads found anywhere. 
The vast majority of Estill County is as mountain as you’ll find anywhere in eastern Kentucky, with the exception of a small portion of the county toward the Madison County line.
(05-26-2022, 11:59 PM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote:
(05-26-2022, 12:28 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Nobody from the 54th would even know.  Estill is a long ways from the Mountains.
If you are referring to the physical geography Estill County is about as “mountains” as it gets. Have you ever been there?? Cow Creek Mountain is a bearcat and a nightmare in the winter when it is the least bit slick. School has to be canceled if it comes a heavy frost, lol.  Estill has some of the most hilly and rugged terrain in Kentucky, and some of the most curvy roads found anywhere. 
The vast majority of Estill County is as mountain as you’ll find anywhere in eastern Kentucky, with the exception of a small portion of the county toward the Madison County line.
Will the championship be played on Sunday or pushed to Monday? Wasn’t sure if anyone had said yet or not.
Sunday