Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Basketball
A few people I’ve talked to has said Hagy will finished the season out and a name that I haven’t saw mentioned could take over the helm after the season. Jim Hicks. I do wonder what will happen to the transfers that have came in over the last few seasons. Do they stick it out with Hagy until the end of the season or do they leave now? Belfry has some talent at the middle school level and some talent that has left and went across the boarder. Give the right coach a few seasons and they could develop a good program with Belfry kids.
How did Belfry do this week at the middle school state tournament?
I’m not sure why the coach isn’t there now. In the 9 years he was there though, they was never known as a “basketball school”. They have always been known for football so not understanding the change and stepping down. I’m sure there was a lot of reasons for the decision that nobody is aware of to some degree.
(01-22-2022, 10:41 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: A few people I’ve talked to has said Hagy will finished the season out and a name that I haven’t saw mentioned could take over the helm after the season.  Jim Hicks.    I do wonder what will happen to the transfers that have came in over the last few seasons.  Do they stick it out with Hagy until the end of the season or do they leave now?  Belfry has some talent at the middle school level and some talent that has left and went across the boarder.  Give the right coach a few seasons and they could develop a good program with Belfry kids.
Jim Hicks resigned from Dawson with an
0-10 record…not sure this would b the guy for the job
(01-23-2022, 06:21 PM)oliver67 Wrote:
(01-22-2022, 10:41 AM)Grinch1 Wrote: A few people I’ve talked to has said Hagy will finished the season out and a name that I haven’t saw mentioned could take over the helm after the season.  Jim Hicks.    I do wonder what will happen to the transfers that have came in over the last few seasons.  Do they stick it out with Hagy until the end of the season or do they leave now?  Belfry has some talent at the middle school level and some talent that has left and went across the boarder.  Give the right coach a few seasons and they could develop a good program with Belfry kids.

Was it that Jim Hicks, or the Jim Hicks that coached at Shelby Valley?
That isn't the same Jim Hicks that coached at Shelby Valley.
Jim Hicks who coached Shelby Valley a few years ago. Has anyone else heard of a potential future coach after this season for the Pirates?
Hearing they are going to post after season. Hearing Bol makes his return to Belfry this week. Anyone else hear this?
(01-23-2022, 06:32 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
That isn't the same Jim Hicks that coached at Shelby Valley.
Oh-my bad….that would be this Jim Hicks…..
Kentucky student claims high school coach hit him in the face

Our sister station WYMT reports a Pike County student claims he was hit in the face by a basketball coach. 
A report was filed with the Pike County Attorney against Jim Hicks, the head boys basketball coach at Shelby Valley High School, according to WYMT. 
A player from Pikeville High School claims following the game Thursday between the Panthers and the Wildcats, Hicks yelled at an opposing coach and charged him. 
When the player stepped in between the two, Hicks hit him in the face, according to the complaint.
(01-23-2022, 09:19 PM)Realtalk101 Wrote: Hearing they are going to post after season. Hearing Bol makes his return to Belfry this week. Anyone else hear this?
I can see them posting the job at end of season. I can’t see Bol returning to Belfry.
Hagy seems to be doing something Thompson couldn’t and that winning games against some good teams.
Any word out of job will be posted and see who is interested or has Hagy been given job totally? Several good players returning and might get few more to come out if right coach is put in place.
(03-11-2022, 10:52 AM)Truewords Wrote: Any word out of job will be posted and see who is interested or has Hagy been given job totally?  Several good players returning and might get few more to come out if right coach is put in place.
Was wondering this question myself. I just think it'd be hard to coach basketball and baseball. Baseball practice starts middle of February and basketball in still in season. Too much overlap to coach both I would say. Wonder if Bobby Varney would be interested or even offered?
(03-11-2022, 11:10 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-11-2022, 10:52 AM)Truewords Wrote: Any word out of job will be posted and see who is interested or has Hagy been given job totally?  Several good players returning and might get few more to come out if right coach is put in place.
Was wondering this question myself. I just think it'd be hard to coach basketball and baseball. Baseball practice starts middle of February and basketball in still in season. Too much overlap to coach both I would say. Wonder if Bobby Varney would be interested or even offered?
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

There are a certain few people who control all coaching hires at Belfry and their behavior as well. And anyone close enough knows who these people are. My question is why do they have this power and autonomy? What have they done to deserve this? 

So we will just sit back and see who they choose to lead our once proud basketball program.
(03-11-2022, 12:00 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

There are a certain few people who control all coaching hires at Belfry and their behavior as well. And anyone close enough knows who these people are. My question is why do they have this power and autonomy? What have they done to deserve this? 

So we will just sit back and see who they choose to lead our once proud basketball program.
Phillip Heywood has the most influence in the Pond Creek area. If he wants it to happen it will. 8 state championships is what he has done to deserve that much say.
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

Well Haywood is one and he has earned the right to have a say in who is the next coach. He knows winning and he's been at the school more than most of the players parents have been alive.
(03-11-2022, 02:25 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

Well Haywood is one and he has earned the right to have a say in who is the next coach. He knows winning and he's been at the school more than most of the players parents have been alive.
Will he back Hagy or Varney or is there a 3rd option?
(03-11-2022, 03:34 PM)Truewords Wrote:
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

I’m not gonna say any names but haywood will have little to no impact on this. Those that know who will control this hire, know.
(03-12-2022, 03:48 AM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(03-11-2022, 03:34 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(03-11-2022, 11:10 AM)pirateforlife Wrote: Was wondering this question myself. I just think it'd be hard to coach basketball and baseball. Baseball practice starts middle of February and basketball in still in season. Too much overlap to coach both I would say. Wonder if Bobby Varney would be interested or even offered?
Should he be? Yes
Will he be? no 

I’m not gonna say any names but haywood will have little to no impact on this. Those that know who will control this hire, know.
I’m definitely not close enough to know but if Haywood doesn’t have any influence it has to be someone with major influence and money. If it were Pikeville I could name a few. Like in any situation it is likely “follow the money trail”
The decision will be made by the administration at Belfry High School.

Think of this what you may, but nobody outside of the Pond Creek area cares who is hired as the next basketball coach.

Also, when I say administration that includes Coach Haywood. Like it or not his opinion on who’s hired carries weight, and he’s earned the right for his input to be heard…without question.
(03-12-2022, 01:18 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote: The decision will be made by the administration at Belfry High School. 

Think of this what you may, but nobody outside of the Pond Creek area cares who is hired as the next basketball coach.

Also, when I say administration that includes Coach Haywood.  Like it or not his opinion on who’s hired carries weight, and he’s earned the right for his input to be heard…without question.
Isn't that the case for nearly every school though?? Why would people outside the community care who Belfry hires as their next head coach? With the right hire Belfry could be a top 4 team in the region year in year out.
(03-12-2022, 01:32 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-12-2022, 01:18 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote: The decision will be made by the administration at Belfry High School. 

Also, when I say administration that includes Coach Haywood.  Like it or not his opinion on who’s hired carries weight, and he’s earned the right for his input to be heard…without question.
Isn't that the case for nearly every school though?? Why would people outside the community care who Belfry hires as their next head coach? With the right hire Belfry could be a top 4 team in the region year in year out.
I agree that Haywood has the influence and has earned that right. Also believe with right hire they become contender every year. Big question now is who is right hire. Is it Hagy?  Is it Varney? Or is there another option or 2?
Hagy will be back i'm hearing over here.
They planning to play their own kids next season or are they going to import some others and ruin them like this past season?

Top 4?  Year in and year out?  The optimism is strong in this one.
(03-14-2022, 07:53 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote:

Top 4?  Year in and year out?  The optimism is strong in this one.
There's a lot of talent that doesn't play basketball at Belfry. I was saying there are 4 districts. Usually best team in each district are your top 4 teams. Not always but most of the time. No reason Belfry shouldn't win the 60th most years. It's possible to be good at more than just football at Belfry.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • BoondockSaint
The rest of the 15th region is hoping they give it to Hagy or someone in the system. Status Quo is good for everyone else. They cant beat the football team but do get enjoyment when they play the basketball team.
(03-14-2022, 10:20 PM)WinkWinkler Wrote: The rest of the 15th region is hoping they give it to Hagy or someone in the system. Status Quo is good for everyone else. They cant beat the football team but do get enjoyment when they play the basketball team.
Then from what I’m hearing they are getting their wish. Hagy is going to be the Basketball coach at Belfry next year. Maybe IrishCard16 may have more inside information than I am hearing
(03-21-2022, 02:03 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(03-14-2022, 10:20 PM)WinkWinkler Wrote: The rest of the 15th region is hoping they give it to Hagy or someone in the system. Status Quo is good for everyone else. They cant beat the football team but do get enjoyment when they play the basketball team.
Then from what I’m hearing they are getting their wish. Hagy is going to be the Basketball coach at Belfry next year. Maybe IrishCard16 may have more inside information than I am hearing
I think it's nearly impossible to put in the necessary time to coach baseball and basketball in high school. Baseball practice starts February 15. There's still 2 weeks left in regular season and then district and region and if your lucky enough to make it to state that is a month you'd miss with your bsseball team cause your still tied up with basketball. I mean someone at Belfry has to be smarter than this IMO. Not saying Hagy isn't a good basketball coach but juggling both would be difficult.

Have they even posted the job to allow other people to apply and have a formal interview hiring process or have they made an in house hire?
(03-21-2022, 02:20 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(03-21-2022, 02:03 PM)Truewords Wrote:
I think it's nearly impossible to put in the necessary time to coach baseball and basketball in high school. Baseball practice starts February 15. There's still 2 weeks left in regular season and then district and region and if your lucky enough to make it to state that is a month you'd miss with your bsseball team cause your still tied up with basketball. I mean someone at Belfry has to be smarter than this IMO. Not saying Hagy isn't a good basketball coach but juggling both would be difficult.

Have they even posted the job to allow other people to apply and have a formal interview hiring process or have they made an in house hire?
From what I’m hearing it was a hire from within. Supposed to be announced after baseball season.