Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry Basketball
With the current state of the program at Belfry how long do they continue to let Mark keep his job. The talent that they have they should have been a top 5 team in the region but here they sit 6-6 and are struggling to win games. The program has a dark cloud above it and the actions that they let go on during the games is shame and embarrassment to the school. I'm sure it will be another early post season exit for them, the real question is how long do we let this go on.
Why don’t you get the job?
[-] The following 1 user Likes DukeBoy's post:
  • WaterBoy15thregion
(01-21-2022, 02:23 AM)SlickRick Wrote: With the current state of the program at Belfry how long do they continue to let Mark keep his job. The talent that they have they should have been a top 5 team in the region but here they sit 6-6 and are struggling to win games. The program has a dark cloud above it and the actions that they let go on during the games is shame and embarrassment to the school. I'm sure it will be another early post season exit for them, the real question is how long do we let this go on.
I agree! It is very embarrassing.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Realtalk101's post:
  • SlickRick
Belfry really should be better. To many athletes in that school.
hire bobby varney as head coach and make Grover bevins his assistant, home grown people and quit recruiting. build the program with the middle school. program will take off
(01-21-2022, 12:32 PM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: hire bobby varney as head coach and make Grover bevins his assistant, home grown people and quit recruiting. build the program with the middle school. program will take off
The same Bobby Varney that him and his family started the brawl at Phelps a few years back?  Don’t think that’s the answer. They need an established winner with discipline. Anyone have Randy McCoy’s phone number?

(01-21-2022, 12:32 PM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: hire bobby varney as head coach and make Grover bevins his assistant, home grown people and quit recruiting. build the program with the middle school. program will take off
Pot calling kettle black sir. All schools including yours recruit. Just review rosters from year to year.
(01-21-2022, 11:25 AM)DukeBoy Wrote: Belfry really should be better.  To many athletes in that school.
The athletes wont come out when not given a chance. He has brought in so many it ran off most of the actual kids, and then he can't even keep his best player from transferring to CAL.
It’s a shame that our boys go all through school playing ball and then get to the high school level and don’t even get a chance because Thompson wants to recruit and bring kids in from out of state. Let the home grown boys play. He’s not even winning games, he’s never won anything. Play your belfry kids.
(01-21-2022, 02:23 AM)SlickRick Wrote: With the current state of the program at Belfry how long do they continue to let Mark keep his job. The talent that they have they should have been a top 5 team in the region but here they sit 6-6 and are struggling to win games. The program has a dark cloud above it and the actions that they let go on during the games is shame and embarrassment to the school. I'm sure it will be another early post season exit for them, the real question is how long do we let this go on.
What exactly do you mean about the actions they let go on during games? Who could Belfry get realistically to take over the program?
(01-21-2022, 03:35 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
What exactly do you mean about the actions they let go on during games? Who could Belfry get realistically to take over the program?
This late in year will be hard to find someone. Post the job see who applies. Won 8 state football championships school has athletes. Nice facilities program has history. Need to get community support back. I have heard that several people been interested in the job but they refused to get rid of Thompson. From what I’m hearing he may have taken care of that himself
(01-21-2022, 03:41 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 03:35 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
This late in year will be hard to find someone. Post the job see who applies. Won 8 state football championships school has athletes. Nice facilities program has history. Need to get community support back. I have heard that several people been interested in the job but they refused to get rid of Thompson. From what I’m hearing he may have taken care of that himself
I’m gonna say a change is imminent, just got the once call that all basketball games have been cancelled this weekend.
If this were a football issue, there would be 15 pages worth of posts. But instead there’s like 5 people posting, tells you all you need to know about level of concern. Let’s be honest, if it ain’t Belfry Football, no one on Pond Creek really cares. No one since RJ and staff have been able to figure out the formula there, so who do you guys think is the right hire?
If they do end up finding a new coach they need someone who can motivate the kids and someone the players will respect. If the kids don't respect you it will be hard to have a good team.
I will remain hush hush about my opinions on the matter. Excited to see a change in the coming years and hope that somebody can breathe life into what should be a top 4 program in the region year in and year out.
It wasn't too long ago Pikeville was not even a top half region team. They went and hired Justice and now are one of the favorites each year and have won region 2 times I believe under him. Their athletes are coming out to play. Would like to see Belfry get a young up and coming coach who will energize the program.
(01-21-2022, 04:57 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: It wasn't too long ago Pikeville was not even a top half region team. They went and hired Justice and now are one of the favorites each year and have won region 2 times I believe under him. Their athletes are coming out to play. Would like to see Belfry get a young up and coming coach who will energize the program.
Probably could have had pikevilles current coach if we weren’t afraid to make a change earlier.
(01-21-2022, 05:31 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 04:57 PM)pirateforlife Wrote: It wasn't too long ago Pikeville was not even a top half region team. They went and hired Justice and now are one of the favorites each year and have won region 2 times I believe under him. Their athletes are coming out to play. Would like to see Belfry get a young up and coming coach who will energize the program.
Probably could have had pikevilles current coach if we weren’t afraid to make a change earlier.
I agree and missed a huge chance to make a change that would benefit the school!
You watched Pike Central explode their program the exact same way years before by bringing in outside talent. You sacrifice your future for one or two years of success. In this case no success at all. IMO the only way you get the fan base and kids back involved is either bring in a big name OR bring in a huge Belfry alum with credibility. I really don’t see Elisha leaving Pikeville for a long time, dude has built a powerhouse that is gonna keep producing. Bottom line is Belfry has the athletes to make that program a threat, just have to figure it out.
D&D are reporting Thompson is out as coach at Belfry
(01-21-2022, 07:29 PM)Truewords Wrote: D&D are reporting Thompson is out as coach at Belfry

Mountain Top Sports just posted on Facebook that news as well.
Coach Thompson is in fact out at Belfry. .410 winning percentage in 9 seasons with 3 district titles.
If it were my school, I'd make a call to Bart Williams or beg Randy McCoy to come back to Kentucky. But that's my opinion.
(01-21-2022, 05:31 PM)irishcard16 Wrote:

Not probably. 100% could have had him if somebody would have offered. 

You throw everything you have to offer at Frankie Smith!! You don’t give him a chance to say no.
There was a really good list of candidates 10 years ago. Some accomplished coaches throughout the region/area. We decided on an unproven coach that’s struggled for 9 years. I just hope we didn’t burn too many bridges with the ones who were once interested. Hopefully we go after at least 1 of those guys.
(01-21-2022, 08:17 PM)irishcard16 Wrote: Coach Thompson is in fact out at Belfry. .410 winning percentage in 9 seasons with 3 district titles.
No other school would tolerate winning 4 out of every 10 games a year. Consistently loosing costs many coaches their job.
(01-21-2022, 09:01 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 08:17 PM)irishcard16 Wrote: Coach Thompson is in fact out at Belfry. .410 winning percentage in 9 seasons with 3 district titles.
No other school would tolerate winning 4 out of every 10 games a year. Consistently loosing costs many coaches their job.
Couldn’t agree more. But I will keep my opinion on the matter quiet. And just hope for brighter days in the future.
I don't think the issue with the program was an issue of want to or not caring enough. It just didn't work out and things weren't getting any better. If you can't motivate the players to buy in and do what's best for the team then you don't have a chance. Hopefully Belfry will be a program soon that is one of the best teams in the area year in year out. Talent is coming up and we need to take advantage of it. I wish Mark Thompson the best and believe he will still teach at the school.

Mountain Top Sports stated that Michael Hagy will serve as the interm coach until the end of the season. That's weird considering he wasn't an assistant. Figured they'd let an assistant take over who has been at practice every day. Coach Hagy has been the head baseball coach at Belfry for about the last 15 years.
I've seen some make the statement that he smacked one of the players last night at the game and that was the reason for the resignation. I am not saying this happened cause I don't know. Anyone know what these rumors are about? Some of the players are supporting him on Facebook.
WYMT reporting Michael Hagy named new head coach at Belfry
(01-21-2022, 11:27 PM)Truewords Wrote: WYMT reporting Michael Hagy named new head coach at Belfry
Heard that was just interm for this season u til the season ends. If indeed he is the coach next season he will be busy with basketball and baseball.
(01-21-2022, 11:48 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-21-2022, 11:27 PM)Truewords Wrote: WYMT reporting Michael Hagy named new head coach at Belfry
Heard that was just interm for this season u til the season ends. If indeed he is the coach next season he will be busy with basketball and baseball.

Sounds like what happened at Floyd Central a few years back when Spurlock resigned and Shawn Hager took over for the rest of that season.