Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With DeRossett at Magoffin...What are some Game Predictions...
Score Predictions:

Magoffin vs. Lawrence*   @Magoffin MC Lost 14-43
Magoffin vs. Prestonsburg @Magoffin MC won 34-6
Magoffin @ Floyd Central* 2020 MC won 46-36
Magoffin @ Pike Central* 2020 MC won 76-54
Magoffin vs. Belfry* @Magoffin MC Lost 0-43
Magoffin vs Breathitt (not sure where to be played) New Addition to the schedule from what I hear.  

These are some teams that DeRossett has had some success with in the past.  Those are 6 Teams that will be on the schedule. 

My Predictions:
MC 28   LC 33
MC 56   Pburg 14
MC 38   FC 14
MC 34   PC 21
MC 14   Belfry 36
MC 21   BC 20

*District Game
They won't beat Breathitt, Lawrence, or Belfry this year. Everything else should be wide open.
Breathitt loses a lot this season.
(01-16-2022, 09:31 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Breathitt loses a lot this season.
As far as I know, Breathitt only loses four starters from last year. They do lose their best player in QB, Jaylen Turner. They lose two lineman and RB/LB Gibson. Breathitt was young this year and if they can find a replacement at QB, they have the potential to be a top five team in 2A. As far as Magoffin County goes, I don't see them playing within two to three touchdowns of Breathitt. I may be wrong, but once they got into the meat of their schedule last year, they really struggled. Derossett will turn this program around, but it will take more than one season to do so. Magoffin will be very competitive in the coming years, but people need to "pump the breaks" on the expectations of next year.
(01-18-2022, 11:03 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote:
As far as I know, Breathitt only loses four starters from last year. They do lose their best player in QB, Jaylen Turner. They lose two lineman and RB/LB Gibson. Breathitt was young this year and if they can find a replacement at QB, they have the potential to be a top five team in 2A. As far as Magoffin County goes, I don't see them playing within two to three touchdowns of Breathitt. I may be wrong, but once they got into the meat of their schedule last year, they really struggled. Derossett will turn this program around, but it will take more than one season to do so. Magoffin will be very competitive in the coming years, but people need to "pump the breaks" on the expectations of next year.
I think the Hornets will be better prepared, and surprise some people...not saying they will be state champions in one year...but they will be competitive the first year.  Been hearing the weight room is averaging around 40 players.  Breathitt has always been a solid team but I think MC will give them a run on for the first game of the season.
(01-18-2022, 11:03 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote:
Magoffin only lost a handful of contributors as well. These kids have never had a structured, organized strength & conditioning program. They have that now and have averaged 35+ kids every day in the weight room. I imagine that number will climb when basketball is over and when the weather gets better. A lot of kids haven’t been able to make the mid afternoon workouts when the weather has canceled school, due to not being able to get out of their hollers. Another first for these kids will be actual position coaches. I don’t know who all will be on Coach DeRossett’s staff, but you can bet it will be guys that know what they are doing. No one knows how this season will go. I ain’t saying Magoffin will win their district or anything, everyone knows it’s gonna take a few years to get on Belfey’s level. Look what Holcomb did in his first year at Madison Central. I bet no one thought in a million years he would take them to the 6A Semi’s and give the eventual State Champion all they wanted.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
Magoffin will be improved but already starting talk of beating Belfry and comparing them to Madison Central may be a little early. If they will focus on getting better each and every week, they will be fine. They did win 6 games this year as they were, so obviously there was some talent there.
(01-22-2022, 02:18 PM)DarthVader Wrote: Magoffin will be improved but already starting talk of beating Belfry and comparing them to Madison Central may be a little early. If they will focus on getting better each and every week, they will be fine. They did win 6 games this year as they were, so obviously there was some talent there.
I agree with you on the comparisons.  Magoffin is far away from Madison Central and Belfry right now.  But they do have some talent and they will compete in 2022.
(01-22-2022, 02:18 PM)DarthVader Wrote: Magoffin will be improved but already starting talk of beating Belfry and comparing them to Madison Central may be a little early. If they will focus on getting better each and every week, they will be fine. They did win 6 games this year as they were, so obviously there was some talent there.
Wasn’t comparing them to Madison Central and never said they would beat Belfry. I used Madison Central as an example because most people thought it would take Holcomb years to be competitive at that level. No one knows how this will go. The things I mentioned is all new to this program. Things that are important to having a successful program. I think the numbers will continue to rise as well.
Notre Dame Football…GO IRISH
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Westside
With all due respect, Derossett is a solid coach, but Coach Holcomb is a legend!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Cat Daddy's post:
  • wolfcat
(01-22-2022, 08:36 PM)Cat Daddy Wrote: With all due respect, Derossett is no Mike Holcomb!

I know plenty of teams would like to have MR. Holcomb!
They're hauling in some transfers. Stay tuned.
(01-24-2022, 01:35 AM)jamesclay Wrote: They're hauling in some transfers. Stay tuned.
Hauling in transfers? Wow, I thought DeRossett was the supplier of transfers out.  What’s changed?
It will be interesting to see how long or if a sustained culture change at Magoffin will occur. Honestly, there isn't any football tradition that I'm aware of there. If I'm wrong, someone who has some historical info, fill me in. I know both the Carter Co schools have been on the uptick as of late....but being on the uptick and actually building/turning a team into a legitimate program are two completely different things. That takes time, talent and the right coaching staff to cultivate the environment. Derossett is definitely a good coach, and I have no doubt Magoffin will improve their play. However......IMO, patience will be needed. Short term success doesn't always bring about monumental change.
(01-24-2022, 11:08 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: It will be interesting to see how long or if a sustained culture change at Magoffin will occur.  Honestly, there isn't any football tradition that I'm aware of there.  If I'm wrong, someone who has some historical info, fill me in.    I know both the Carter Co schools have been on the uptick as of late....but being on the uptick and actually building/turning a team into a legitimate program are two completely different things.  That takes time, talent and the right coaching staff to cultivate the environment.  Derossett is definitely a good coach, and I have no doubt Magoffin will improve their play.  However......IMO, patience will be needed.  Short term success doesn't always bring about monumental change.
Players that have been attending weights have been excited about the change. I know it’s still early but a lot of the young players are buying in also. 

lots of upcoming seniors at conditioning they have been averaging almost 40 players at workouts. 

the culture is the only thing that will take some time to get used to.  These kids are in good hands though.