Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 67 Betsy Layne 55 (15th Region All “A” Championship)
Congratulations to Coach Justice & the Panthers!

An All “A” Sweep for Pike High!

The Boys improve to 14-1 while the Girls sit at 15-1 for a combined 29-2. This is the first time PHS has won both tournaments in the same season since the inception of the All “A”.

Rylee Samons led PHS with 25.

Betsy Layne put up a great fight without the services of Robinson.
Congrats to the Panthers and very impressed with Betsy Layne, They have great athletes and are very dangerous.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Micro-Brew
Really hate that the kid from BL had to sit. Would not surprise me at all to see these two teams square off again in the regional tourney. Good luck to the Bobcats going forward, big fan of Mims here, wish that kid had never left Pikeville but it’s worked out well for him. He was one of my favorites in grade school. Great kid and plays his tail off. Also big Congrats to the Panthers, this old dude will be rooting for you guys to win that All A title. I think it’s a real possibility.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
(01-16-2022, 01:16 AM)Micro-Brew Wrote: Really hate that the kid from BL had to sit. Would not surprise me at all to see these two teams square off again in the regional tourney. Good luck to the Bobcats going forward, big fan of Mims here, wish that kid had never left Pikeville but it’s worked out well for him. He was one of my favorites in grade school. Great kid and plays his tail off. Also big Congrats to the Panthers, this old dude will be rooting for you guys to win that All A title. I think it’s a real possibility.
Love Mims too and everyone better fear Betsy Layne. They are more than capable of winning the 15th.
I was very impressed with BL in this one. Mims did what he wanted for most of the game and the little #4 did a pretty good job of containing Worrix in my opinion. Robinson will make the difference.
Hopefully, these two wind up on different sides of the bracket for the Regional tournament and can meet again in the Finals.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 100%SUCCESS's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^I agree. Hope to see BL and Pikeville in the finals.
  • Westside
This is what happens when you get yourself ejected. Calm down and play basketball.
I’m not exactly sure as to why Robinson didn’t play aside from the fact many people on here state he was antagonized throughout the last game.  

Instead of pointing that out, we have a dipshit raising another Karen calling him out on taking up for himself as every anonymous panty wad does.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoondockSaint's post:
  • jetpilot
Congrats to Pikeville. They are so big and so athletic that it is going to take an off night by them and a very special night by another team in the 15th for someone to knock the them off. The Bobcat played hard, but Pikeville's defensive pressure gave the Bobcat fits and was the difference in the game IMO. Mims had a neck of a game for the Bobcats. Now that Betsy Layne is out of the All A I will be rooting for Pikeville. I can't wait to see how they perform in Richmond. Hopefully they bring the title back to the 15th Region.

The game changed when Coach Justice went to the 3/4 court 1-2-2 with Sammons at the top. Our guards had fire getting it across the line and we definitely couldn’t set up an offense. Pikeville probably got 10-14 points off those turnovers and steals.

But overall very proud of the Bobcats. With Robinson on the bench we help Pikeville pretty honest and they shot decently well from 3 like you’d expect. Pente may be our code to helping slow Worrix down, I thought he really did a good job guarding him and allowing him to shoot but not penetrate.

Very pleased with the Bobcats last night. Should make the region interesting and pray these two matchup again around that time.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
BL seem to play Pikeville better last night than their first meeting. Pente gives them another good on ball defender. Question is with Robinson back does Pente continue to play extended mins or does BL still stick with 5 most of the game. I think with Pente in the game they are better defensively but whose mins does he take away?

For Pikeville the last few games it looks like Samons is coming back into his own. That can be very dangerous for other teams in the 15th. Martin and BL seem to focus on not letting Nick Robinson get his shots but other players seem to step up. Worrix against Martin and Hall against BL. That’s what makes Pikeville so good. You try to stop one player and other will take over.
Its hard to beat people multiple times in basketball. If Betsy Layne quits letting Pikeville turn them over they would have been in the last two games. Panthers continue to struggle shooting the ball consistently, but the defense is always there. Its interesting the Panthers really didnt press anyone anyone the whole tournament. They broke out the 3/4 court in the final but thats it. The bobcats can play in the half court set they just gotta get it up the floor better. No easy task.
(01-16-2022, 06:54 PM)Hambley Wrote: Its hard to beat people multiple times in basketball. If Betsy Layne quits letting Pikeville turn them over they would have been in the last two games. Panthers continue to struggle shooting the ball consistently, but the defense is always there. Its interesting the Panthers really didnt press anyone anyone the whole tournament. They broke out the 3/4 court in the final but thats it. The bobcats can play in the half court set they just gotta get it up the floor better. No easy task.
I know the Panthers haven’t shot the 3 ball consistently but I wouldn’t say they struggle shooting since they are either 1 or 2 in the state in team field goal percentage.  Looking at their stats on KHSAA. All 5 starters are over 50% with Hall being the exception and he is at 49.2% (one make away from being 50%).  As for BL goes when they play in the half court they are very good. Yes their Achilles heal is turnovers and a lot of teams see that now.  Curious to see how other teams guard them going forward and how they handle that.
(01-16-2022, 07:01 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 06:54 PM)Hambley Wrote: Its hard to beat people multiple times in basketball. If Betsy Layne quits letting Pikeville turn them over they would have been in the last two games. Panthers continue to struggle shooting the ball consistently, but the defense is always there. Its interesting the Panthers really didnt press anyone anyone the whole tournament. They broke out the 3/4 court in the final but thats it. The bobcats can play in the half court set they just gotta get it up the floor better. No easy task.
I know the Panthers haven’t shot the 3 ball consistently but I wouldn’t say they struggle shooting since they are either 1 or 2 in the state in team field goal percentage.  Looking at their stats on KHSAA. All 5 starters are over 50% with Hall being the exception and he is at 49.2% (one make away from being 50%).  As for BL goes when they play in the half court they are very good. Yes their Achilles heal is turnovers and a lot of teams see that now.  Curious to see how other teams guard them going forward and how they handle that.

I think of folks other than Johnson Central try to press BL they’ll be in for problems. Pikeville so big and athletic especially with Sammons at the top of the 1-2-2 no other teams in the 15th can mimic that. And then you have Worrix and Hall to chase down those high arching cross court passes that lead to fast breaks. Besides Johnson Central because their guards being so athletic. I don’t see them being bothered by pressure
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(01-16-2022, 07:56 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-16-2022, 07:01 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

I think of folks other than Johnson Central try to press BL they’ll be in for problems. Pikeville so big and athletic especially with Sammons at the top of the 1-2-2 no other teams in the 15th can mimic that. And then you have Worrix and Hall to chase down those high arching cross court passes that lead to fast breaks. Besides Johnson Central because their guards being so athletic. I don’t see them being bothered by pressure
I agree.  Got to have the horses to be able to do it.  I think though regardless if you have the personnel you can’t  sit back and play a half court defense against Frasure and Mims.  Look at East Ridge. They have the size but tried to play a zone and a slow down game and BL made them pay.  You have to try to put pressure on them regardless and try to take possessions away ala what Pikeville excels at.
Pikeville again showed that they are without a doubt the best team I the region.  They pulled away when they went 1-2-2 with Samons up top. Betsy Layne had an opportunity to go on a run to start the second half when Worrix was out, but the moment he came back in pikeville controlled the game. I don’t see how you guys are impressed with Pente’s defense on Worrix considering any time he wanted to get past him he did. Frazier really didn’t play that well, looks like he did cause he scored I believe 8 of his 20 when the game was already over.
Both of these teams have more talent than anyone in the region.  Pikeville has a lot more depth.  Betsy Layne does a good job of staying out of foul trouble.  I can't believe more teams do not attack the basket and push the tempo on them.  The real question is what happened to all of Betsy Layne's bench? Their top 5 is as good as any in the region but to win it all you have to have guys that can come in and play meaningful minutes and not just give a breather to the starters. Pente showed that he could help and I thought that he did a pretty good job. I think Betsy Layne is really missing guys like Rainey, Tackett, Hopkins and their are more also that were good young talent thats not playing anymore.  You could take the7-8 guys that used to play and beat some of the teams in the region.  What happened to all the Stumbo boys? Those were some really good young players.  Even the Williams boy that is a football stud looked really good a few years ago. They are in desperate need of guys like that. Jut my opinion
(01-17-2022, 02:16 PM)TheRoadWarrior Wrote: Both of these teams have more talent than anyone in the region.  Pikeville has a lot more depth.  Betsy Layne does a good job of staying out of foul trouble.  I can't believe more teams do not attack the basket and push the tempo on them.  The real question is what happened to all of Betsy Layne's bench? Their top 5 is as good as any in the region but to win it all you have to have guys that can come in and play meaningful minutes and not just give a breather to the starters. Pente showed that he could help and I thought that he did a pretty good job. I think Betsy Layne is really missing guys like Rainey, Tackett, Hopkins and their are more also that were good young talent thats not playing anymore.  You could take the7-8 guys that used to play and beat some of the teams in the region.  What happened to all the Stumbo boys? Those were some really good young players.  Even the Williams boy that is a football stud looked really good a few years ago. They are in desperate need of guys like that. Jut my opinion

Manna left to Pikeville two years ago when Brad Short got fired
Jake Rainey left this year to Floyd Central 
Byron Tackett decided he wasn’t going to play this year because he wanted to focus on baseball. He really would have helped 
Hopkins really doesn’t hurt losing him because we don’t need any more guards
#BBFL
I am old enough to remember all those old awesome Betsy Layne teams. BL has always had a ton of great athletes in the halls. If they can somehow get all their athletes out for basketball and not have them "focus" on baseball or football where BL will never go anywhere..........Betsy Layne will be a basketball powerhouse year in year out.
  • Westside
(01-17-2022, 10:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I am old enough to remember all those old awesome Betsy Layne teams. BL has always had a ton of great athletes in the halls. If they can somehow get all their athletes out for basketball and not have them "focus" on baseball or football where BL will never go anywhere..........Betsy Layne will be a basketball powerhouse year in year out.

A lot of folks forget Betsy Layne won an All A State Championship in 2011. Betsy Layne just has never been able to make a run in the region.
#BBFL
(01-17-2022, 10:54 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 10:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I am old enough to remember all those old awesome Betsy Layne teams. BL has always had a ton of great athletes in the halls. If they can somehow get all their athletes out for basketball and not have them "focus" on baseball or football where BL will never go anywhere..........Betsy Layne will be a basketball powerhouse year in year out.

A lot of folks forget Betsy Layne won an All A State Championship in 2011. Betsy Layne just has never been able to make a run in the region.
It’s a great accomplishment and one BL should be very proud of.  Seems like tho a lot of BL fans I talk to always bring this up.  It’s been what 10-11 years ago.  Most of these kids now weren’t even in middle school.  It’s all about what have you done for me lately. One district title since then maybe?   Coach Newsome is a good coach. If I had one criticism it seems like he has ran off some of the depth BL would have had this year and in year 2 is relying on 5 guys instead of taking the off season and early parts of the season to develop his bench(Winning is nice but developing players and taking early losses is ok)  BL has a team to compete for the Region but with no bench that could come back to bite them in the end.  If we also look at the hold back rule.  Yes Pikeville benefited with Worrix but they go 8-9 deep.  They would more than likely been just fine without him.  BL got 2 of those 5 guys back because of it. Just imagine if they didn’t and no one was developed in the off season to help.

So you agree with my post or no hehe
(01-17-2022, 11:15 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

It’s a great accomplishment and one BL should be very proud of.  Seems like tho a lot of BL fans I talk to always bring this up.  It’s been what 10-11 years ago.  Most of these kids now weren’t even in middle school.  It’s all about what have you done for me lately. One district title since then maybe?   Coach Newsome is a good coach. If I had one criticism it seems like he has ran off some of the depth BL would have had this year and in year 2 is relying on 5 guys instead of taking the off season and early parts of the season to develop his bench(Winning is nice but developing players and taking early losses is ok)  BL has a team to compete for the Region but with no bench that could come back to bite them in the end.  If we also look at the hold back rule.  Yes Pikeville benefited with Worrix but they go 8-9 deep.  They would more than likely been just fine without him.  BL got 2 of those 5 guys back because of it. Just imagine if they didn’t and no one was developed in the off season to help.

I only mentioned it because he mentioned the glory days of Betsy Layne basketball. But I agree with you, we haven’t done crap since the year JR hung it up and we’ve had talent
#BBFL
(01-18-2022, 02:19 AM)Spud6 Wrote:
(01-17-2022, 11:15 PM)Grinch1 Wrote:

I only mentioned it because he mentioned the glory days of Betsy Layne basketball. But I agree with you, we haven’t done crap since the year JR hung it up and we’ve had talent
With that team those players were developed from a very young age and it wasn’t just a few players. That seems to be the problem lately at BL. Only a select few players get the attention and the other are just Jersey wearers.  More players need develop/experience.
That was my point.  BL will have consistent talent but I think everyone knows this is the year if it is going to happen. They could very well win it but you have to get very lucky to escape injury and foul trouble when you are not subbing anyone.  With the players that were there they should have a least a couple that could come off the bench now. Even with all the kids that you have mentioned above there were also several more that does not play anymore.  Ash, Straton, Martin and Williams are a few.  Thats a lick for the future. I would think they could use Hopkins now also or at least have him if needed. BL had a shot of winning the other night because they actually gave Mims the ball. I don't know how smart it was to schedule a game in the middle of the tournament and only let Mims play so he could get 40 and pad his stats. That may keep parents happy but aint going to win ballgames.