Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bell County 58 Corbin 55
Final
Big win! I don’t know how good Corbin really is, but winning there ain’t easy regardless.
Didnt see longmire or patterson on the corbin bench. Could have used Patterson bad on the big kid from bell county.
(01-14-2022, 11:28 PM)HOFER Wrote: Didnt see longmire or patterson on the corbin bench. Could have used Patterson bad on the big kid from bell county.

Patterson may be the difference between Corbin being in the top 3 in the region and being where they are now, in the 6-8 range of the top teams.
(01-14-2022, 11:42 PM)The Outsider Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 11:28 PM)HOFER Wrote: Didnt see longmire or patterson on the corbin bench. Could have used Patterson bad on the big kid from bell county.

Patterson may be the difference between Corbin being in the top 3 in the region and being where they are now, in the 6-8 range of the top teams.

BINGO!!!

They are getting about as many touches on the court as they did on the gridiron.
loveeeeeee to see it
(01-15-2022, 01:24 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-14-2022, 11:42 PM)The Outsider Wrote:

BINGO!!!

They are getting about as many touches on the court as they did on the gridiron.
I figured if they were injured they'd still be on the bench or somewhere in the gym.  Didnt see them anywhere.  I suspect they are no longer on the team.  And after watching last night I think I understand why...
(01-15-2022, 11:26 AM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: loveeeeeee to see it
I’m pretty sure I heard Longmire and Mills ( both Seniors ) quit. I’m surprised Baker ( Senior ) Is still sitting while Freshman play over him. Defense Defense Defense. It looked a little better last night but still got some laziness that hurt us.
(01-15-2022, 12:34 PM)Playcaller66 Wrote:
(01-15-2022, 11:26 AM)WhomTheBellTolls Wrote: loveeeeeee to see it
I’m pretty sure I heard Longmire and Mills ( both Seniors ) quit. I’m surprised Baker ( Senior ) Is still sitting while Freshman play over him. Defense Defense Defense. It looked a little better last night but still got some laziness that hurt us.

saw the stewart kid only had 2 what’s going on there .. thought he was supposed to be the next big thing
We probably need to have a fun session

Film session
Surprised how many think they know basketball personnel better than Pietrowski. Easier to blame the coach than the players.
Same with football,
(01-17-2022, 12:30 AM)insideinfo Wrote: We probably need to have a fun session

Film session

Lol

(01-17-2022, 02:18 AM)insideinfo Wrote: Same with football,

Smile
(01-17-2022, 12:50 AM)HCS Wrote: Surprised how many think they know basketball personnel better than Pietrowski. Easier to blame the coach than the players.
Head Coach always takes the lumps Win or Lose. In the 13th Region Tony is approximately 6-7th best coach. He’s rode talent for years and now he’s got a ton of talent and it’s all about me not team. You run your Seniors off by playing 8th grader and Freshman. Everyone wants to shoot shoot and shoot but only a couple get back and play defense. DEFENSE.
Seniors being replaced by freshmen is just part of the game. It's been happening for years. The worst thing you can do is have a bunch of marginal seniors taking up roster spots and not getting game experience for younger guys on the verge of being key contributors.
The bottom line is the coach is in practice with them every day and knows better than anyone who can play and who can help. Parents, on the other hand, need someone to blame, and it does always fall on the coach, as you said.
Never been impressed with Corbin coach or Corbin basketball program. Always has underachieved and once again this year they won’t make it out of region. Always loved how Corbin fans troll other teams when they should stick to their own problems in Corbin
Hahahahaha!
(01-17-2022, 07:54 PM)Fan of many Wrote: Never been impressed with Corbin coach or Corbin basketball program. Always has underachieved and once again this year they won’t make it out of region. Always loved how Corbin fans troll other teams when they should stick to their own problems in Corbin
Not true.

(01-17-2022, 05:13 PM)HCS Wrote: Seniors being replaced by freshmen is just part of the game. It's been happening for years. The worst thing you can do is have a bunch of marginal seniors taking up roster spots and not getting game experience for younger guys on the verge of being key contributors.
The bottom line is the coach is in practice with them every day and knows better than anyone who can play and who can help. Parents, on the other hand, need someone to blame, and it does always fall on the coach, as you said.

Truth!
Corbin has made Sweet 16 a total of 7 times since 1960

7 times in 60 plus years is underachieving for what Corbin has every year with talent compared to most every other team. Can either blame the kids or the coaches. Either way Corbin has a bigger budget, better facilities, and players that miraculously show up from time to time. Corbin even gets to play the region in Corbin every year and has no travel to worry about like Harlan Co whose gym is the best and should be allowed to host every other year.
[-] The following 2 users Like Fan of many's post:
  • Black Bear Cuz, Gridiron_Raid
Corbin does have a lot of advantages and are set up to succeed. That being said their coach does a very good job. His record speaks for itself. I don’t like Corbin, but no reason to say someone can’t coach when they have had great success.
Who do we listen to? Some Harlan County whiny boy or someone who has been watching Corbin basketball games for nearly fifty years? Let's go with the one who has been watching games for half a century. Saying Pietrowski is the sixth or seventh best coach in the region is something you might hear in an insane asylum or, based on the above comments, a dark dingy basement somewhere in Harlan County. Tony has won with less talent than any other coach at the top schools in the region for years. I can't think of the last time that Corbin had more talent than Knox, North and South Laurel, or even Harlan County. Built in advantages for Corbin? Let's hear them.

To my knowledge, Corbin hasn't had a one woman feeder program like Knox Central has had for years. The Laurels have had better talent for years than Corbin. Corbin does well in competing with these schools. Corbin's biggest advantages over the years have been that they are consistently one of the best academic schools in the state and have had really good coaching on the basketball side. Find me four better coaches in succession than Rodney Woods, Billy Hicks, Mike Deaton, and Tony Pietrowski.

Now, Tony, go out tonight and beat Jeff Davis. Four years is long enough.
Tony is without a doubt one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the region, maybe the top 1. It's blurry to pick who exactly is the top but to rank him outside of 4 at this point would be insane. I will say this region has a ton of good coaches Tony, Davis, Sizemore, Morris, Jones and Patterson are all extremely good coaches and are probably my top 6. I don't mean disrespect to Valentine but until he wins the region, especially with the talent he has now he doesn't belong in the conversation at all. I will add Coach Taylor at Barbourville is in his first year as a head coach but he will likely wind up being a very good coach there, and the same could be said for Swords at Williamsburg. Coaching wise the region is probably as deep as it's ever been, but even in this era at present I don't think you could justify Coach P lower than 3rd at this point among current coaches. Rankings could change as others careers progress, but he's done more than enough to solidify himself in the elite top tier of coaches in this region.
Corbin lost by 18 to a decent south laurel team, and when I say decent it’s because this isn’t the best team south has had and are below their standards
Corbin is either underachieving or they just aren’t any good. Yes it’s easy to blame the coach but ultimately isn’t that whose fault it is.
(01-19-2022, 01:31 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: Tony is without a doubt one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the region, maybe the top 1. It's blurry to pick who exactly is the top but to rank him outside of 4 at this point would be insane.  I will say this region has a ton of good coaches Tony, Davis, Sizemore, Morris, Jones and Patterson are all extremely good coaches and are probably my top 6. I don't mean disrespect to Valentine but until he wins the region, especially with the talent he has now he doesn't belong in the conversation at all. I will add Coach Taylor at Barbourville is in his first year as a head coach but he will likely wind up being a very good coach there, and the same could be said for Swords at Williamsburg. Coaching wise the region is probably as deep as it's ever been, but even in this era at present I don't think you could justify Coach P lower than 3rd at this point among current coaches. Rankings could change as others careers progress, but he's done more than enough to solidify himself in the elite top tier of coaches in this region.
Akal is also a very good coach.
(01-19-2022, 03:29 PM)ArJay Wrote:
(01-19-2022, 01:31 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote: Tony is without a doubt one of the top 3 or 4 coaches in the region, maybe the top 1. It's blurry to pick who exactly is the top but to rank him outside of 4 at this point would be insane.  I will say this region has a ton of good coaches Tony, Davis, Sizemore, Morris, Jones and Patterson are all extremely good coaches and are probably my top 6. I don't mean disrespect to Valentine but until he wins the region, especially with the talent he has now he doesn't belong in the conversation at all. I will add Coach Taylor at Barbourville is in his first year as a head coach but he will likely wind up being a very good coach there, and the same could be said for Swords at Williamsburg. Coaching wise the region is probably as deep as it's ever been, but even in this era at present I don't think you could justify Coach P lower than 3rd at this point among current coaches. Rankings could change as others careers progress, but he's done more than enough to solidify himself in the elite top tier of coaches in this region.

Yes he is, but he needs to win a few games in the Region tournament to move up in a higher tier to me. Coach P, Davis, Sizemore, Morris, and Patterson have all won the Region hard for me to put Akal ahead of those guys when he doesn't have a win in the boys region tournament yet. He had a lot of success as the girl's coach but the girl's game and boy's game are different games and different styles. I need to see success in the boy's style before I rate him above those guys.
Yes the defense was abysmal. Not sure about the matchups....the big kid for bell county was eating corbin up down low and corbin put the smallest kid on the floor on him. The corbin kid looked athletic and had some hops but the bell county kid had probably 40 pounds and several inches on him so it went about as expected. And I'm sure the coach's son will be a great ball player before its over but his defense needs some serious work right now. I'd say it will come along as he gets stronger and his coordination gets better. But they were driving right past him every time, looked like he had lead in his shoes and couldn't move laterally. I was looking for Patterson to D up the big kid from Bell but I guess hes not around.
I think Pietrowski is top 5 in the region. It always get sticky when you have your kid playing for you. Obviously, he’s going to get every opportunity and the benefit of the doubt most times. With that said, I have Pietrowski, Davis, Jones, Patterson, and Sizemore in my top 5 (no particular order). I have Valentine and Gray on the outside of that group.
(01-19-2022, 03:29 PM)ArJay Wrote:

Yes he is. VERY good. The 13th has as many good coaches as any region in the state.

(01-19-2022, 07:48 PM)TheProfessor33 Wrote: I think Pietrowski is top 5 in the region.  It always get sticky when you have your kid playing for you.  Obviously, he’s going to get every opportunity and the benefit of the doubt most times.  With that said, I have Pietrowski, Davis, Jones, Patterson, and Sizemore in my top 5 (no particular order).  I have Valentine and Gray on the outside of that group.
Glad someone mentioned Glenn Gray. Contrary to his detractors on here, he's a good coach.
It is kind of hard to believe that SL has beaten Corbin 11 times in a row. Tony P is clearly one of the best coaches in the region along with T Patterson obviously with his current championship record and Mike Jones who also has a ring. Valentine has yet to prove he belongs in the discussion considering he has a 5 star player, but has no region title yet… Derrick Akal is a great coach also and I am going out on a limb and say that he has a great chance to join the boys region title fraternity this year as well…..Remember where you heard it first! I’m predicting the Dragons might be a Cinderella story come Region tourney time, they have something special about them this year with athleticism along with maturity and toughness!!! Watch out for the fire breathing Dragons this year……..
(01-17-2022, 02:18 AM)insideinfo Wrote: Same with football,
Say what you want about b-ball. But the reason we lost in football was 100% on Dudley Hilton jr. (Greer). Not 99.8%, 100%!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hound05's post:
  • Bull got out!