Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will KY ever go to Class System in Baskeball?
I would like to see private split from public personally but don’t want class system b it a private and public separate champion.
Split it up into 2 divisions

D1 and D2

Just like football, take class 1 2 3 and make it D2
4-5-6 D1

2 sweet 16s make more money
(01-16-2022, 01:22 PM)Spoozer12 Wrote: What do you guys think about playing 8 sectional games for the boys and girls basketball tournaments, just like soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball.  Once those sectional's are played the 8 girls winners and the 8 boys winners go to Rupp for a combined Single Boy/Girl Sweet 16, switch the games boy/girl and play through the tournament it'd give the girls participants the opportunity exposure to a much larger crowd,  also cut down on the tournament cost. The girls attendance has been low, especially when you have 2 all girls private schools playing for the championship, which happens more often than not these days. I love the way it is now, but times are changing and I don't think it can stay they way it is with the economic impact that's happening in most of the state,
go look at the past winners in all sports so many more champs in urban/private schools vs rural schools winning it all. 

Just fodder for thought on a boring snow day....

I like your thinking "outside of the box" on the boys/girls combined Sweet 16, but after a century of precedent I don't think you'll convince many that half of the Regional champions don't get to make the trip to Lexington.

There have been 58 Girls State Basketball Tournaments and there has never been a single championship game involving two all girls private schools.

If one looks at the KHSAA website and sees only the "State Team Title Composite Records" it's easy to draw the wrong conclusions. There's a simple reason urban and private schools have won more championships - they've been playing those sports 10-20-30 years before the KHSAA even sanctions a State Tournament for them. Add another decade or two before enough of our rural schools in an area start teams and can be grouped into a Region, and well, there's just no "catching up."
Keep dreaming. If it isn't broken don't fix it.
NEVER
The Wheel of Ky Basketball is broke.
It seems that the majority like the system that is in place for KY basketball.   My friends from surrounding states also wish they were structured the same for there state.  Everyone doesn’t get a green ribbon in KY.   It makes it that much sweeter when you make it to the regional/state tournament.  Just my opinion….
Your opinion because you ain’t competin
Going into the class system would ruin basketball in Kentucky. This is what makes the sweet 16 so awesome. When the little All "A" schools win region and get to compete against those big 5a schools. If I am not mistaken Highlands won state last year and they are an All "A" or 2a school.
Highlands is 5A.

Wouldn’t it be nice to ACTUALLY HAVE A SNOWBALLS CHANCE IN HELL OF WINNING a State Title. Nobody complains about football? Hell it’s 11 vs 11. 5 vs 5 in basketball. 9 vs 9 in baseball. Let everyone have a shot. More coaches would actually be more inspired to coach. May not have to recruit as much and destroy your home towns culture and screw the kids that’s been in these programs K-12.