Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will KY ever go to Class System in Baskeball?
I feel like there should be at least 4 classes in KY basketball.  I know it would do away with the mystique of the Sweet 16 but so what.   The All A is a nice event.  Football has 6 champions.  Basketball could at least have 4.  Would give some teams more of fighting chance.   Feel like baseball and softball should have classes to.  What’s your thoughts?
[-] The following 2 users Like DukeBoy's post:
  • Bluecat, WaterBoy15thregion
I think you have hit the nail on the head. Sometimes changes are good.
No way....
The member schools & the Board of Control will not allow a Class system for basketball.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
(01-11-2022, 12:50 PM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: No way....
The member schools & the Board of Control will not allow a Class system for basketball.

Why not? Would create more revenue. Would it not?
(01-11-2022, 02:18 PM)Huck Fin Wrote:
(01-11-2022, 12:50 PM)Pulp Fiction Wrote: No way....

Why not? Would create more revenue. Would it not?

Not necessarily, the sweet 16 is a huge draw at Rupp and many of the smaller class football games draw very sparse attendance in football. I believe the fear would be that you wouldn't draw as many people out for the smaller classes. You wouldn't be able to have the "sweet 16" of each class at Rupp so you'd have to limit it to like a Final 4 and title game for each class. Also a fear of driving away the average fan who doesn't have a team there that comes just to see the show if you dilute it by classes. 

Travel I believe is also a big concern, a lot of traditional rivalries would be lost or at least devalued if we went to a class system. I can think of several where I live that the allure of fighting for the district and region crown make the rivalries a big deal, losing that part of it could certainly lessen the meaning of those games.
Hoping they never go to a class system for basketball. Sweet 16 is special and always has been. It’s what makes Kentucky basketball so great!
[-] The following 2 users Like BiscuitNGravy's post:
  • Justthefacts1, Pulp Fiction
The All A tournament, and in recent years the 2A tournament, will keep a class system at bay.
I like the way it is right now. Indiana went to a class system a couple decades back and my cousin who lives in Franklin Co, Indiana said it watered it all down to the point there’s not much excitement anymore. Low attendance except for games with star players that Indiana or the other state universities are recruiting.
(01-11-2022, 03:40 PM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: Hoping they never go to a class system for basketball. Sweet 16 is special and always has been. It’s what makes Kentucky basketball so great!
The only thing the KHSAA can hang its hat on is the Sweet 16.
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I feel like it’s time for a change. New rivalries can start.
I pray it never happens.
Why kick a winning horse in the Azzz!!
I think I read or watched something that this topic almost happened in the late 80s. So this has been thought about or discussed for many moons.
No and it never should....
[-] The following 1 user Likes PHSFAN's post:
  • BCFF
Don't think that it will...
But we have the All-A and now the 2A.
We basically have an informal class system.
The All "A" gives everyone the best of both worlds - compete for a Class A title and have a chance to go to Rupp for the state tournament. I saw Harlan do that in the 1990s. The really good teams aren't looking for an easy way and want to compete against the big boys.
[-] The following 1 user Likes HCS's post:
  • BCFF
Well hell let’s just let Pikeville play Class 6A football then. How many basketball titles they got hanging in the gym over at Pikeville ?
^I wouldn't be shocked if Pikeville didn't move up to 2A sooner or later and then your team will have a much better chance at a playoff run every November....and NO before you ask if that were to happen there would be no refund or payment of any kind on the piece of property they own in your head.
Completely agree with HCS on best of both worlds. Pretty sure that a regional title and trip to Rupp by knocking off the big schools meant more to the small school that I graduated from than anything that a classed system could bring about.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dodger's post:
  • Panther Thunder
Small school doesn’t beat big school very often. State Title is a state title.
(01-14-2022, 03:18 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Small school doesn’t beat big school very often. State Title is a state title.

Yep, Harlan has two All "A" Classic banners and Cumberland girls had two. Just like a state championship for them - signs and everything else. Plus, Harlan played in three Sweet Sixteens. Pikeville has a chance to do both this year. Harlan could also make a run at both.
Well they could take the 4 overall champs from each class and let them play for the Overall King Title the next weekend. May even cut down on all the recruiting. Who knows.

And to be honest I don’t have a problem with Pikeville, I am happy for all their programs success. They have worked hard for what they have, nothing has came easy.
(01-14-2022, 11:29 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: Well they could take the 4 overall champs from each class and let them play for the Overall King Title the next weekend. May even cut down on all the recruiting. Who knows.

And to be honest I don’t have a problem with Pikeville, I am happy for all their programs success. They have worked hard for what they have, nothing has came easy.

Someone comes up with that every year, and I hate it worse than classes. Nothing worse than winning a state championship and then have to play another game and lose. WIth the All A you can win a state title and then have a chance to go back to district and regional competition and make another run in March, basically playing with house money.
(01-11-2022, 03:40 PM)BiscuitNGravy Wrote: Hoping they never go to a class system for basketball. Sweet 16 is special and always has been. It’s what makes Kentucky basketball so great!
I agree 100%.  It is what makes Kentucky High School basketball great.  1 Champion!
Just play the classes and call it a year. I bet if all the coaches in the state voted, they’d vote to have classes.
Let’s play the 10 football game season then let the top 20 RPI teams battle it out in football for 1 TRUE CHAMPION. Ain’t gonna happen I know but it’s really no different than basketball and baseball. Everything should be classed. Works for the entire country, why not Ky? Ky is special I guess. How many states had the HS holdback rule? Only KY, I bet.
This would be the worst decision ever! Nothing more irritating than having six state champions crowned. It kills me in football when some teams have like 10 of them. There should always only be one state champion in a sport. There are more state championship football rings in Kentucky than people!
It’s real fair when Trinity and several other schools can buy the kids they want when the public schools can’t. Real fair. Trinity run ruled everyone in the baseball state tournament this year, first round draft pick on the team that supposedly didn’t even live in KY. The other states have up to 8 champions. KY needs 4 classes in basketball and baseball bottom line. Get with the rest of the nation. Time for change.
How many state championships would Johnson Central,Boyle,Belfry,Danville, have if only one state champion? We might actually get a feel for who are really champs.

Let's call them class championship,not state championships! They won their class. State champion would be one team standing regardless of class .
What do you guys think about playing 8 sectional games for the boys and girls basketball tournaments, just like soccer, volleyball, baseball and softball. Once those sectional's are played the 8 girls winners and the 8 boys winners go to Rupp for a combined Single Boy/Girl Sweet 16, switch the games boy/girl and play through the tournament it'd give the girls participants the opportunity exposure to a much larger crowd, also cut down on the tournament cost. The girls attendance has been low, especially when you have 2 all girls private schools playing for the championship, which happens more often than not these days. I love the way it is now, but times are changing and I don't think it can stay they way it is with the economic impact that's happening in most of the state, go look at the past winners in all sports so many more champs in urban/private schools vs rural schools winning it all. Just fodder for thought on a boring snow day....
Trinity University would won almost every football State title the past 25 years if there was only 1 Champ.
Maybe so. That hasn't happened in basketball. I bet they would have lost some too,and the "state champion" title would be correct for whoever won it.