Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Estill County 47 Owsley County 43
Final from Booneville. 

Good back and forth game. 

8th grader Callie Snowden with a huge clutch 3 in the closing seconds to put Estill up 45-43. Owsley had two chances but missed and Estill had an outlet pass that ended in a layup as the buzzer sounded to make it 47-43. 

From the video looked like Owsley had a big depleted bench. Good game.
This game turned in the last 30 seconds. Owsley had a 1 point lead and possession of the ball and it seemed they had decided to hold the ball and force Estill to foul. But instead one of the players took a difficult double teamed shot on the baseline that missed and Estill’s eighth grader Snowden gave them the lead with a big 3 a few seconds later, her only points of the game. Owsley missed again and the Lady Engineers scored a run out layup at the horn.

Good game. Tough district loss for Owsley.
Who was out for Owsley?
(12-18-2021, 12:54 AM)Reds#1Fan Wrote: Who was out for Owsley?

Not sure who all was out. From the video it looked like Owsley had like 6-8 players dressed total. Not sure how accurate that is though. 

I will say that's the first district game I've ever seen that was almost empty. Not a crowd at all which is surprising especially in Booneville. That little gym is usually packed when district games are played.
(12-18-2021, 01:48 AM)Strikeout King Wrote:

Not sure who all was out. From the video it looked like Owsley had like 6-8 players dressed total. Not sure how accurate that is though. 

I will say that's the first district game I've ever seen that was almost empty. Not a crowd at all which is surprising especially in Booneville. That little gym is usually packed when district games are played.
Seems to be the case this year because teams are starting to go away with district game double headers. It is tough to get a crowd when both your boys and girls are playing in different places. I hate it.

The visitors side was almost empty but the side that Owsley’s crowd sat on was full. Big home crowd. From the camera angle on tv it didn’t show that. But Estill didn’t bring their usual crowd. Being able to watch games on streaming services could be a reason people aren’t traveling to away games.

On the question about the number of Lady Owls players, there are eight high school girls on the roster. Coach Smith sometimes also dress an eighth grader and a seve nth grader but they rarely play due to inexperience. There’s not enough players for a junior varsity.
Owsley County’s enrollment in grades 9-12 is only 200, so sometimes the numbers get a little thin. However, there’s a large group of talented sixth graders on the way up next year. The sixth grade team was 20-0 this year when playing in games with only in ñ sixth grade opponents. They did lose a few games when they joined the one seventh grade girl and one eighth grade girl for a few middle school contest, but regardless of talent ability sixth grade girls will always struggle against eighth grader age girls. Regardless, the numbers should go back up next year.
Didn’t Estill boys also play a district game at Lee Co. same night?
(12-18-2021, 06:40 PM)Justthefacts1 Wrote: Didn’t Estill boys also play a district game at Lee Co. same night?
Yes, boys district contest with Lee at Estill, and that also was probably a reason the visitors side of the gym was pretty empty. The other side, however, which was out of the tv camera’s view, was quite full.