Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Favorite Females Singers : The 1960's
I thought I would just do these by the decade, rather than lump them all together.  For those who remember way back to the sixties(I was born in that decade), who do you think were some of the best female popular music or rock singers from that era ? Obviously, I was just a young child for much of that decade but I can still remember hearing a lot of the music that my mom and dad played around the house. Plus, as I got older, I enjoyed taking a look back at the music from the decade of my early life. 

There were some terrific female voices from the sixties . I'll start with a Brit who had an amazing vocal instrument.

Here's the "Queen of White Soul," Dusty Springfield (No kin to Rick) with   "Son of a Preacher Man"  from Ed Sullivan.   What an incredible performance.  Soulful, velvety voice.  And what a hairdo !!!!!   You'd think she was from Memphis instead of London.  Elton John once went so far to say that Dusty was possibly the greatest white singer ever.

Granny, did you ever sport a bouffant/ beehive like Miss Dusty?

It was always who is better Linda Ronstadt or Stevie Nicks. There is no right or wrong. Need to think more to add others. Love Dusty Springfield too...

No better voice than Chrissie Hynde. Loved every Pretenders song.

She wrote this about having a child...beautiful

Lyrics

Show me the meaning of the word
'Cause I've heard so much about it
They say, "Hey, you can't live without it"
Welcome to the human race
With its wars, disease and brutality
You with your innocence and grace
Restore some pride and dignity
To a world in decline
Welcome to a special place
In a heart of stone that's cold and gray
You with your angel face
Keep the despair at bay
Send it away, and
I don't want to live without it
I don't want to live without it
Oh, I want love
I want love
I want love
Welcome here from outer space
The Milky Way is still in your eyes
You found yourself a hopeless case
One that's seeking perfection on earth
That's some kind of rebirth, so
Don't make me live without it
Oh, love
I want love
I want
Love
I want love

Always loved Janet Jackson

Embarrassed but yes a crush...

Dale Bozzio, Berlin

Dang sorry OSH just saw 60s...
60s

Good cover

(12-14-2021, 01:28 AM)jetpilot Wrote: Dang sorry OSH just saw 60s...
No problem, buddy.  I'll get to those decades before long. Just thought I'd go decade by decade.

I can't think of the sixties without these next two legends.

First ...  JJ .   One of the things I liked about her is she made you feel like she lived every word of every song she sang --- AND SHE PROBABLY DID!!!  So much soul... so much hurt in her voice.   She sang pain until it was oozing out of her pores. 

I can't get enough of this...

I can't think of the 60's without thinking of Mama Cass Elliot. She was one of the best singers of that era---and any era for that matter. What a talent!!!  What a loss .  She left WAY too soon.

Here's a young Cass doing "California Dreamin' "  and "Monday Monday."    Can you imagine some of the singers now trying to lay down these two tracks LIVE without auto-tune?

When I was just a little tyke, I remember hearing this song play on the radio and I fell in love with it AND the woman singing it. Couldn't wait to hear it again... and again. Gorgeous lady. Great singer.

PETULA CLARK

[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^Love that! Reminds me of my awesome momma.

Carpenters remake is better
Last and best one

Though she was still a force of nature in the seventies and eighties, Grace Slick personified the late sixties as far as I'm concerned. Woodstock, acid-dropping hippies, flower power, Haight-Asbury. I loved J. Starship in the seventies but it all started with Grace's Airplane in the sixties. She was a stunning beauty with great charisma and a penchant for saying and doing whatever the hell she wanted. And let's not forget that powerful vocal instrument...

Grace Slick and the Airplane from the Smothers Brothers Show :

Oh I LOVE all these singers!! Joplin's voice was so raw and soulful. Shame she died so young! I think she was mid=twenties or so??

Petula Clark was one of my favorites, even though nothing to compare to the Supremes!!! I also liked Karen Carpenter. She died very young as well.

I never wore a beehive in my life!!! I was a teenager in the 60s and my hair was very long and very straight. I have a lot of natural curl, so I used to iron it with a real iron to get it straight.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot

Loved this remake

Does anyone remember Judith Durham of the Seekers? She was noted as having one of the best female singing voices in the world. They had some big hits in the 1960’s such as “Georgy Girl”, “A World of Our Own”, “The Carnival Is Over”, “Morningtown Ride”, “I’ll Never Find Another You”.
Judith joined the band in the early 1960s and left when they were at their peak of success in the late 1960s. She wanted to go solo. But she came back about 20 years later and they toured again to huge audiences.
Their music was mostly folk but they were excellent at it. And Judith was the centerpiece. Simply an amazing voice. They were still singing until just a few years ago but I think age and health issues finally ended her and the band’s long careers.
(12-27-2021, 11:46 AM)LOOKAYANNER Wrote: Does anyone remember Judith Durham of the Seekers? She was noted as having one of the best female singing voices in the world. They had some big hits in the 1960’s such as “Georgy Girl”, “A World of Our Own”, “The Carnival Is Over”, “Morningtown Ride”, “I’ll Never Find Another You”.
Judith joined the band in the early 1960s and left when they were at their peak of success in the late 1960s. She wanted to go solo. But she came back about 20 years later and they toured again to huge audiences.
Their music was mostly folk but they were excellent at it. And Judith was the centerpiece. Simply an amazing voice. They were still singing until just a few years ago but I think age and health issues finally ended her and the band’s long careers.

Judith was amazing and the Seekers were terrific !!!  

https://youtu.be/wZf41UudAbI?list=RDEMCl...NWQThbul1A

Aside from Karen Carpenter, Judith Durham had, quite possibly, as pure a singing voice as anyone ever.