Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 29 Belfry 0
(09-18-2021, 09:37 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:23 PM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 05:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: First off....congratulations to Pikeville.  Did what they needed to do to win the game.

Now for Belfry.  Look .....I love my Pirates.  Always will.  However....this season isn’t surprising. I predicted this past winter that Belfry was going to be severely challenged from an overall talent/ability standpoint.    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIRATES.  Stop asking ????  This is just the natural evolution of a program that has been decimated by the local economy  No jobs means  no families.  No families means no kids.  So instead of 70+ players....you barely have 35 or so.  Again.....many of us saw this coming.  It’s why the 2019 team and the run they  went on  will always be so special.  Somehow, that team and those kids stayed together.  A few had to move away....but must toughed  it out.          Haywood and Staff can still coach just as good as they always have.    Program is just suffering like the entire area is.  However....there is a a other group coming.  Some are in the building....some are on the field....some are on the way (middle school).  Again....if those families can figure out a way to stay intact and in the area for the next few years....You’ll see Belfry once again  be squarely in the mix.  Believe me....The King may have abdicated his throne...but he ain’t dead.  ???.
If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.
I hate to reply to this silliness but I will

1) Had a potential starting QB transfer then transfer backi.  The upperclassmen voted to not let him play...In the building

2) Injuries.  Still at least two big pieces of the team out... On the team, but not on the field

3) You do not win 7 state championships and have 7 runners up without a good DB coach.  The same DB coach has coached all the state championship teams and 4 of the runners up.
Not silly to point facts. Easy to coach when you have better athletes than your opponent. Go all way back to Knoxville Catholic game several years ago. Got beat because couldn’t defend the pass. Had very good athletes on team. Now forward to this year. Not as many athletes and have to teach and develop kids through your system and it’s not happening. Pikeville has beat Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the football.
Check the 2015 Belfry/Knox Catholic score and get back to me. Basically the same players each year. They had a pro named Amari Rodgers. No one else around here plays teams like that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucslover68's post:
  • OutlawJoseyWales
It’s the Jimmy’s and Joes not the X’s and O’s.
(09-18-2021, 05:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: First off....congratulations to Pikeville.  Did what they needed to do to win the game.

Now for Belfry.  Look .....I love my Pirates.  Always will.  However....this season isn’t surprising. I predicted this past winter that Belfry was going to be severely challenged from an overall talent/ability standpoint.    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIRATES.  Stop asking ????  This is just the natural evolution of a program that has been decimated by the local economy  No jobs means  no families.  No families means no kids.  So instead of 70+ players....you barely have 35 or so.  Again.....many of us saw this coming.  It’s why the 2019 team and the run they  went on  will always be so special.  Somehow, that team and those kids stayed together.  A few had to move away....but must toughed  it out.          Haywood and Staff can still coach just as good as they always have.    Program is just suffering like the entire area is.  However....there is a a other group coming.  Some are in the building....some are on the field....some are on the way (middle school).  Again....if those families can figure out a way to stay intact and in the area for the next few years....You’ll see Belfry once again  be squarely in the mix.  Believe me....The King may have abdicated his throne...but he ain’t dead.  ???.
If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.

1) Had a potential starting QB transfer then transfer backi.  The upperclassmen voted to not let him play...In the building

2) Injuries.  Still at least two big pieces of the team out... On the team, but not on the field

3) You do not win 7 state championships and have 7 runners up without a good DB coach.  The same DB coach has coached all the state championship teams and 4 of the runners up.
Not silly to point facts. Easy to coach when you have better athletes than your opponent. Go all way back to Knoxville Catholic game several years ago. Got beat because couldn’t defend the pass. Had very good athletes on team. Now forward to this year. Not as many athletes and have to teach and develop kids through your system and it’s not happening. Pikeville has beat Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the ball
I understand Dixon wasn’t playing but most everyone else played. Also he was QB1 from day one. Not kid who transferred and if team voted not to let him come back does he come out next year. Good middle school QB coming I believe but that doesn’t always turn into high school success.

Seriously?   That’s what you’re focusing on?    Pass defense?   That’s the big issue??    Not even getting started with you.
(09-18-2021, 09:47 PM)Truewords Wrote:

Not silly to point facts. Easy to coach when you have better athletes than your opponent. Go all way back to Knoxville Catholic game several years ago. Got beat because couldn’t defend the pass. Had very good athletes on team. Now forward to this year. Not as many athletes and have to teach and develop kids through your system and it’s not happening. Pikeville has beat Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the ball
I understand Dixon wasn’t playing but most everyone else played. Also he was QB1 from day one. Not kid who transferred and if team voted not to let him come back does he come out next year. Good middle school QB coming I believe but that doesn’t always turn into high school success.
As you said, MS QB is a dandy.  Lack of development at QB overall is another big concern.  Hylton has to put in the work on and off the field case closed.  If he does, I say he has a chance.
  • OutlawJoseyWales
No doubt Jimmy’s and Joe’s are a big factor in ANY program finding success. However....you have a lot of teams with a lot of Jimmy’s and Joe’s and still struggle .....because they’re without the X’s and O’s.

That that’s a fact.

Not silly to point facts. Easy to coach when you have better athletes than your opponent. Go all way back to Knoxville Catholic game several years ago. Got beat because couldn’t defend the pass. Had very good athletes on team. Now forward to this year. Not as many athletes and have to teach and develop kids through your system and it’s not happening. Pikeville has beat Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the football.
You do realize that Knoxville Catholic had a dude named Amari Rodgers playing receiver that game don't you? Played for Clemson and now has a guy named Aaron Rodgers as his quarterback.
(09-18-2021, 09:42 PM)bucslover68 Wrote:

Check the 2015 Belfry/Knox Catholic score and get back to me.  Basically the same players each year.  They had a pro named Amari Rodgers.  No one else around here plays teams like that.
Johnson Central schedule has had some pretty good teams on it. You are correct Belfry during that span had amazing athletes easier to coach a Catron or Woolum. Hunter. To name a few. But when it comes down to even teams Belfry can not stop the pass. Belfry has always been the weakest in pass coverage. Now with limited numbers player development and technique is key and it’s not happening in the area of pass defense. Another example. Belfry started freshman center and he had to block a Belfry transfer all night who is a senior and playing harder than ever and someone had him ready. He did a very good job all night. Just my opinion
(09-18-2021, 09:58 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:42 PM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Truewords Wrote: If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.

Check the 2015 Belfry/Knox Catholic score and get back to me.  Basically the same players each year.  They had a pro named Amari Rodgers.  No one else around here plays teams like that.
Johnson Central schedule has had some pretty good teams on it. You are correct Belfry during that span had amazing athletes easier to coach a Catron or Woolum. Hunter. To name a few. But when it comes down to even teams Belfry can not stop the pass. Belfry has always been the weakest in pass coverage. Now with limited numbers player development and technique is key and it’s not happening in the area of pass defense. Another example. Belfry started freshman center and he had to block a Belfry transfer all night who is a senior and playing harder than ever and someone had him ready. He did a very good job all night. Just my opinion
Haywood will tell you it's usually not just the passing teams or running teams that beat you.  It's the teams that can do both.  Belfry will usually focus on stopping one or the other.
(09-18-2021, 09:50 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

Seriously?   That’s what you’re focusing on?    Pass defense?   That’s the big issue??    Not even getting started with you.

(09-18-2021, 10:00 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:50 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

Pass defense is a big part. Turnovers improved I think only lost one fumble. But gave up several throwing TD’s. Why so hateful. This is a discussion forum correct?  PLAYER DEVELOPMENT is the biggest issue along with numbers. District play coming. A win will be one of the most helpful things that can happen for this team. Winning breeds winning
Go tell Coach Cassell he can’t coach DBs then holler back at us big guy. Hell, let me know when you go, I’ve got popcorn and all kinds of time.
(09-18-2021, 10:19 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Go tell Coach Cassell he can’t coach DBs then holler back at us big guy.  Hell, let me know when you go, I’ve got popcorn and all kinds of time.
Your getting way to worked up. Plus wouldn’t change a thing. Belfry had a coach who played DB in SEC and was pretty good at position and put him coaching TE’s Not putting anyone down just gave an opinion but numbers do not lie. Year in and year out if you beat Belfy you do it throwing. Do you disagree with that statement?
(09-18-2021, 10:26 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 10:19 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote: Go tell Coach Cassell he can’t coach DBs then holler back at us big guy.  Hell, let me know when you go, I’ve got popcorn and all kinds of time.
Your getting way to worked up. Plus wouldn’t change a thing. Belfry had a coach who played DB in SEC and was pretty good at position and put him coaching TE’s Not putting anyone down just gave an opinion but numbers do not lie. Year in and year out if you beat Belfy you do it throwing. Do you disagree with that statement?
Does Johnson Central beat Belfry with the pass when they beat Belfry? Who do you think Belfry should hire as db coach? Nick Saban?
(09-18-2021, 10:29 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
Does Johnson Central beat Belfry with the pass when they beat Belfry? Who do you think Belfry should hire as db coach? Nick Saban?
As a matter of fact Johnson Central has thrown the ball some. But has beat Belfry at its own game lately and that is one example. I just stated that belfry pass defense is it’s weakest point year in and out. Who is DB coach not my call. But since this is Pikeville Belfry post again Pikeville has beaten Belfry 3 years in a row with the pass. So have majority of other teams who beat them though that has been few in the past years but football is changing to a more spread out form and getting away from 3 yards and cloud of dust.
For reference, JC and Belfry threw a total of 73 passes combined last year.

All true but the best moment last night was a Pikeville fan trying to get a beer with his steak?
(09-19-2021, 01:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote:

All true but the best moment last night was a Pikeville fan trying to get a beer with his steak?
LOL from a Belfry perspective, yes!  I could have directed him pretty quickly to a bootlegger if he needed some that bad lol.
  • jetpilot
(09-19-2021, 01:34 AM)bucslover68 Wrote:

LOL from a Belfry perspective, yes!  I could have directed him pretty quickly to a bootlegger if he needed some that bad lol.
Haha I can't believe anyone from Pikeville doesn't know about Starters. Pikeville has crappy chains and no Starters lol...and the Steakhouse used to be awesome until they got rid of the buffet...
[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Gus McCrae
(09-19-2021, 02:15 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 01:34 AM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Truewords Wrote: If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.

Haha I can't believe anyone from Pikeville doesn't know about Starters. Pikeville has crappy chains and no Starters lol...and the Steakhouse used to be awesome until they got rid of the buffet...
Truth.
  • jetpilot

I whole heartedly disagree.  E-Town 2003, Owensboro Catholic 2004.  Both had D-1 QBs and E-Town had athletes at every position.  Look up those scores.  

As for Mr. Jones, I’m sure his input was beneficial in the secondary no matter the position he was coaching at the time.
(09-19-2021, 04:31 PM)Ok BoondockSaint Wrote:

I whole heartedly disagree.  E-Town 2003, Owensboro Catholic 2004.  Both had D-1 QBs and E-Town had athletes at every position.  Look up those scores.  

As for Mr. Jones, I’m sure his input was beneficial in the secondary no matter the position he was coaching at the time.
You obviously didn’t read my post. I said if you beat belfry. Belfry won both. With superior talent. David Jones was on that team. Doug Howard also who was a beast on both sides of the ball. Now that Belfry isn’t head and shoulders better you need Player development and teach current technique and that isn’t happening. bucslover 68 even stated QB development is questionable. It’s all just someone’s opinion.
(09-18-2021, 06:17 AM)bucslover68 Wrote: The highlight of my night, by far, was as me and the wife were eating at the steakhouse up next to the mall.  A Panther fan asks if they sell beer for him to have with his meal lol. Steeeerike!
Lol ! No doubt thought he was in WV where it's a wet county. They like to make visitors think the mall area and S.Williamson is in WV.
(09-19-2021, 05:37 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-19-2021, 04:31 PM)Ok BoondockSaint Wrote:

You obviously didn’t read my post. I said if you beat belfry. Belfry won both. With superior talent. David Jones was on that team. Doug Howard also who was a beast on both sides of the ball. Now that Belfry isn’t head and shoulders better you need Player development and teach current technique and that isn’t happening. bucslover 68 even stated QB development is questionable. It’s all just someone’s opinion.

I’m disputing your opinion with fact.  Johnson Central has gotten the best of us more so than not here lately.  Are they a passing team?

I’ll wait.

Beer is forbidden on Pond Creek, but the same person forbidding can be addicted to Marlboro reds abd Honey Buns yet nobody bats an eye.

Better wear your useless masks over here too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoondockSaint's post:
  • Gus McCrae

So....according to you.....I wanna make sure this is clarified.....Haywood and staff are failing in “player development”?    Also failing to teach current techniques?   Also....only relied on superior talent to win those 7 Championships?    No coaching input...no direction, no leadership, no development essentially at all??   Essentially what you’re saying is that Belfry’s staff is woefully lacking in all things football related....and needs superior talent to have success.     Please.      I’m sorry but you sound like an upset parent....whose child isn’t getting enough playing time to your satisfaction.    I get that it’s “just your opinion”.......but dude....... really?
(09-20-2021, 12:49 AM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:

So....according to you.....I wanna make sure this is clarified.....Haywood and staff are failing in “player development”?    Also failing to teach current techniques?   Also....only relied on superior talent to win those 7 Championships?    No coaching input...no direction, no leadership, no development essentially at all??   Essentially what you’re saying is that Belfry’s staff is woefully lacking in all things football related....and needs superior talent to have success.     Please.      I’m sorry but you sound like an upset parent....whose child isn’t getting enough playing time to your satisfaction.    I get that it’s “just your opinion”.......but dude....... really?
You are not correct. 1. No kid playing just watch a lot of eastern ky high school football. Never said anything bad about coaching staff. Actually if you will read post all way through I bragged on freshman center against Pikeville senior and that coaching staff had him prepared. 2. All I have said is when they lost it was mainly due to poor pass defense. 3 Belfry had superior talent from 2010-2019. Lost avg of 2 games per year makes coaching much easier. 4. This season has been hard on team and belfry fans but I have seen several post where people posted saw this coming so if they did why didn’t coaches and say I’ve got to step my game up and be better and prepare my kids better. Even with Dixon out Friday adjustment was made at the half and played much better. 5. I’ll say it again Pikeville has beaten Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the football. 6. They will throw the ball next year too and if something doesn’t change outcome will be the same. Finally this is a discussion forum several of you get but hurt when someone doesn’t agree with you but I do applaud the loyalty to your team but sometimes the Truth hurts.

(09-19-2021, 11:57 PM)BoondockSaint Wrote:

I’m disputing your opinion with fact.  Johnson Central has gotten the best of us more so than not here lately.  Are they a passing team?

I’ll wait.

Beer is forbidden on Pond Creek, but the same person forbidding can be addicted to Marlboro reds abd Honey Buns yet nobody bats an eye. 

Better wear your useless masks over here too.
Once again you don’t read whole or all posts. I did say JC throws some but has been the exception to the rule and beat Belfry at their own game with a Belfry guy at the helm. Go watch game clips. Johnson Central has the ability to throw the ball and if needed does it. But why throw if avg 10+ yards a carry. Belfry had that ability during run of championships. Browning kid was great QB but why throw when Hunter was averaging 17+ yards a carry.
A few quick points after scanning this thread:

1. Pikeville is a fantastic program with a fantastic team this year. Actually was expecting this to be uglier than it was. I see a title in their immediate future, and am ultra impressed with how well rounded and well coached they are.

2. For anyone who is asking "what's wrong with Belfry?", the writing for this has been on the wall for a while and a couple people have been warning all that it was coming. Simply put, after the highest of high water marks in program history a number of factors have came together that has created a severe and noticeable dip in the talent pool for about a two-three year window. The good news is better days are ahead with a MS State Title last year and possible another one coming this year, but simply put... there is just not enough able bodies for about a three class cycle.

3. Compounding all this is a noticeable apathy and unfair expectations considering the current state. When you have been accustomed to a level of success, expectations also rise on multiple levels. The support for the program is feeling this, the expectations of parents for playing time and success resemble this, and that success has also caused Belfry to have to SEVERELY over schedule just to get a full schedule in. This schedule would have been great three or four years ago, but it is a nightmare now and losing will make things fester that would have never came to the surface when a team is winning.

4. As for the Dixon debate,,, I will echo my statements from the off-season. I wish the kid a ton of success and hope he gets what he came back for, but I hate the rule the KHSAA put in. I will never say he made the wrong decision as I cannot put myself into the shoes of of him or his family. All I will say now that we are a few weeks into it is it is a hard row when you are a superstar without other superstars around you.

Now in terms of the new pass defense discussion in this thread:
5. You can critique things without suggesting a coach is doing a bad job. Belfry wouldn't have all the rings in the trophy case and wouldn't have the tradition of excellence they have if they were poorly coached. With that said, there is definite truth that Belfry as a program isn't exactly the picture for how to defend the pass, but I think that comes down to other factors far more than coaching itself...

6. The first is the Triple Option gives and the Triple Option takes away. The option offense is a great equalizer and allows Belfry to compete with a system built with interchangeable parts on offense. The downfall is you practice against what you know. Your 1's either run against scout teamers or they run against your 1's playing a triple option. There is now way to replicate game speed and skill from a capable pass offense. Additionally, where 7 on 7 is invaluable for these spread teams to get reps and competition, Belfry is basically a non-factor because they are not running nay of those schemes in their base offense. That's a lot of coaching and skill and actual competitive reps they don't get to truly benefit from.

7. Belfry's overall defensive scheme for years is the biggest culprit to their pass defense woes, it is probably also my loudest critique of the program even when they have been at their best. If you spread the field Belfry runs their hybrid 3-4 defense where they use their DE/OLB's heavily by dropping them into the flats for a zone coverage. They may pinch an end or blitz a backer, but usually Belfry is content playing zone while only bring three or four in pass defense which means they usually are bringing less than the number of linemen protecting the QB.

The goal is simple.. make a team drive the ball with multiple completions or multiple plays and put the responsibility on them to execute. Once they get into the redzone when the field shrinks Belfry then tightens down and tries to force a turnover on downs or a Field Goal attempt.

The problem is, better teams and better coached teams (see Pikeville) are content taking what Belfry gives and use a patient approach of mixing run and pass. They exploit the DE's dropping into the flats with better running lanes and have receivers capable of sitting in soft spots and a QB capable of delivering it. You also see the occasional coverage bust that results in big play ability. It's also why a mobile QB hurts Belfry so often. Without a heavy pass rush and with the defense spread across 30 yards, all it takes is one missed open field tackle for a scramble to go from 6 yards to 26 yards.

When you have the 2014 or 2015 team where you can score basically every possession and force the opposition to keep up, this defensive philosophy makes a ton of sense. You also had Ray Horton who neutralized that numbers disadvantage when he required two or even three linemen to keep him from pressuring the QB.

With the current team it really doesn't.. especially with how they turn the ball over.

8. The one thing I will openly critique is it consistently baffles me how injury prone and prone to cramping Belfry is year after year. They have to up their game in this regard as tactics and strategies are outdated compared to what you see from other top level programs around the State and Country. One year with the injury bug biting early in the season is normal.. when you are missing mutiple starters the first quarter of a season every season, well that is a trend.

9. For all of this... if Belfry wins the District... a Semi-Finals push is still a legitimate option somehow. 3A is not very strong right now.

I will wander back into the shadows again. Good luck to this team, better days are coming for Belfry football, but this season is going to be ugly and even if you had an all-star Coaching staff of Haywood, MacNamee, Matney (prayers up BTW), Dixon, and Holcomb... Belfry would still be winless right now. Just not enough bodies and enough talent to match the schedule in front of them. The Belfry staff is working their butts off, but you can only do so much with what they have on the current roster.

Good luck Panthers! jetpilot... miss ya and the banter buddy. Enjoy your run with this special team!
[-] The following 1 user Likes EKUAlum05's post:
  • Red and Black
(09-20-2021, 02:52 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: A few quick points after scanning this thread:

1. Pikeville is a fantastic program with a fantastic team this year. Actually was expecting this to be uglier than it was. I see a title in their immediate future, and am ultra impressed with how well rounded and well coached they are.

2. For anyone who is asking "what's wrong with Belfry?", the writing for this has been on the wall for a while and a couple people have been warning all that it was coming. Simply put, after the highest of high water marks in program history a number of factors have came together that has created a severe and noticeable dip in the talent pool for about a two-three year window. The good news is better days are ahead with a MS State Title last year and possible another one coming this year, but simply put... there is just not enough able bodies for about a three class cycle.

3. Compounding all this is a noticeable apathy and unfair expectations considering the current state. When you have been accustomed to a level of success, expectations also rise on multiple levels. The support for the program is feeling this, the expectations of parents for playing time and success resemble this, and that success has also caused Belfry to have to SEVERELY over schedule just to get a full schedule in. This schedule would have been great three or four years ago, but it is a nightmare now and losing  will make things fester that would have never came to the surface when a team is winning.

4. As for the Dixon debate,,, I will echo my statements from the off-season. I wish the kid a ton of success and hope he gets what he came back for, but I hate the rule the KHSAA put in. I will never say he made the wrong decision as I cannot put myself into the shoes of of him or his family. All I will say now that we are a few weeks into it is it is a hard row when you are a superstar without other superstars around you.

5. You can critique things without suggesting a coach is doing a bad job. Belfry wouldn't have all the rings in the trophy case and wouldn't have the tradition of excellence they have if they were poorly coached. With that said, there is definite truth that Belfry as a program isn't exactly the picture for how to defend the pass, but I think that comes down to other factors far more than coaching itself...

6. The first is the Triple Option gives and the Triple Option takes away. The option offense is a great equalizer and allows Belfry to compete with a system built with interchangeable parts on offense. The downfall is you practice against what you know. Your 1's either run against scout teamers or they run against your 1's playing a triple option. There is now way to replicate game speed and skill from a capable pass offense. Additionally, where 7 on 7  is invaluable for these spread teams to get reps and competition, Belfry is basically a non-factor because they are not running nay of those schemes in their base offense. That's a lot of coaching and skill and actual competitive reps they don't get to truly benefit from.

7. Belfry's overall defensive scheme for years is the biggest culprit to their pass defense woes, it is probably also my loudest critique of the program even when they have been at their best. If you spread the field Belfry runs their hybrid 3-4 defense where they use their DE/OLB's heavily by dropping them into the flats for  a zone coverage. They may pinch an end or blitz a backer, but usually Belfry is content playing zone while only bring three or four in pass defense which means they usually are bringing less than the number of linemen protecting the QB.

The goal is simple.. make a team drive the ball with multiple completions or multiple plays and put the responsibility on them to execute. Once they get into the redzone when the field shrinks Belfry then tightens down and tries to force a turnover on downs or a Field Goal attempt.

The problem is, better teams and better coached teams (see Pikeville) are content taking what Belfry gives and use a patient approach of mixing run and pass. They exploit the DE's dropping into the flats with better running lanes and have receivers capable of sitting in soft spots and a QB capable of delivering it. You also see the occasional coverage bust that results in big play ability.  It's also why a mobile QB hurts Belfry so often. Without a heavy pass rush and with the defense spread across 30 yards, all it takes is one missed open field tackle for a scramble to go from 6 yards to 26 yards.

When you have the 2014 or 2015 team where you can score basically every possession and force the opposition to keep up, this defensive philosophy makes a ton of sense. You also had Ray Horton who neutralized that numbers disadvantage when he required two or even three linemen to keep him from pressuring the QB.

With the current team it really doesn't.. especially with how they turn the ball over.

8. The one thing I will openly critique is it consistently baffles me how injury prone and prone to cramping Belfry is year after year. They have to up their game in this regard as tactics and strategies are outdated compared to what you see from other top level programs around the State and Country. One year with the injury bug biting early in the season is normal.. when you are missing mutiple starters the first quarter of a season every season, well that is a trend.

9. For all of this... if Belfry wins the District... a Semi-Finals push is still a legitimate option somehow. 3A is not very strong right now.

I will wander back into the shadows again. Good luck to this team, better days are coming for Belfry football, but this season is going to be ugly and even if you had an all-star Coaching staff of Haywood, MacNamee, Matney (prayers up BTW), Dixon, and Holcomb... Belfry would still be winless right now. Just not enough bodies and enough talent to match the schedule in front of them. The Belfry staff is working their butts off, but you can only do so much with what they have on the current roster.

Good luck Panthers! jetpilot... miss ya and the banter buddy. Enjoy your run with this special team!
I do believe we are saying the same thing but I do believe you may have did a better job saying it. It is the approach and technique that needs changed. Successful programs do evolve as needed and I believe it to be the case needed here. But I’m not sure it will happen. Belfry will continue to face teams that are spreading the field so focus and defense approach must change.

(09-20-2021, 03:22 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-20-2021, 02:52 PM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: A few quick points after scanning this thread:

3. Compounding all this is a noticeable apathy and unfair expectations considering the current state. When you have been accustomed to a level of success, expectations also rise on multiple levels. The support for the program is feeling this, the expectations of parents for playing time and success resemble this, and that success has also caused Belfry to have to SEVERELY over schedule just to get a full schedule in. This schedule would have been great three or four years ago, but it is a nightmare now and losing  will make things fester that would have never came to the surface when a team is winning.

6. The first is the Triple Option gives and the Triple Option takes away. The option offense is a great equalizer and allows Belfry to compete with a system built with interchangeable parts on offense. The downfall is you practice against what you know. Your 1's either run against scout teamers or they run against your 1's playing a triple option. There is now way to replicate game speed and skill from a capable pass offense. Additionally, where 7 on 7  is invaluable for these spread teams to get reps and competition, Belfry is basically a non-factor because they are not running nay of those schemes in their base offense. That's a lot of coaching and skill and actual competitive reps they don't get to truly benefit from.

7. Belfry's overall defensive scheme for years is the biggest culprit to their pass defense woes, it is probably also my loudest critique of the program even when they have been at their best. If you spread the field Belfry runs their hybrid 3-4 defense where they use their DE/OLB's heavily by dropping them into the flats for  a zone coverage. They may pinch an end or blitz a backer, but usually Belfry is content playing zone while only bring three or four in pass defense which means they usually are bringing less than the number of linemen protecting the QB.

The problem is, better teams and better coached teams (see Pikeville) are content taking what Belfry gives and use a patient approach of mixing run and pass. They exploit the DE's dropping into the flats with better running lanes and have receivers capable of sitting in soft spots and a QB capable of delivering it. You also see the occasional coverage bust that results in big play ability.  It's also why a mobile QB hurts Belfry so often. Without a heavy pass rush and with the defense spread across 30 yards, all it takes is one missed open field tackle for a scramble to go from 6 yards to 26 yards.

I do believe we are saying the same thing but I do believe you may have did a better job saying it. It is the approach and technique that needs changed. Successful programs do evolve as needed and I believe it to be the case needed here. But I’m not sure it will happen. Belfry will continue to face teams that are spreading the field so focus and defense approach must change. Don’t fade back into shadows this forum needs more posts like this. 
For Belfry to have their best chance to win ballgames they must find a way to get Dixon in space with the ball. Not saying it needs to be their base offense but if he is going to be the qb then they need to spread the defense out. It's hard to run the ball when the other team knows their is 0 percent chance of passing the ball. They can being all 11 guys within 8 yards of the LOS and no matter how good the line is it will be hard to consistently move the ball against. Heck, if you have watched any of the middle school team this year , who has a very good qb who may start next year for the HS team, they have went 5 wide some this year. That leaves less defenders in the box and allows Dixon to do what he does best which is to make people miss or break a tackle then it's a foot race to the goal line and he isn't going to lose many of those. Belfry done some of this back in I think it was 09 with Thomas Varney. I haven't really seen Belfry try it this year. I know the hardest part of the schedule is over other than JC at the end of the regular season but I think it would be helpful to at least give it a try. Belfry pass defense reminds me of UK football pass defense right now. Keep everything in front of you then fly to the ball and tackle and force the other team to execute and move the ball down the field with several plays.
^^^
Let's also give credit where it is due.

I have also seen this "Bend But Don't Break" defense work to perfection.

DeSales two years ago is a perfect example. DeSales got greedy and went for the big play too often an it worked to belfry's advantage.

Somerset in 2010 was another prime example where Belfry pulled a major upset because Somerset did not stay patient.

It worked well against that loaded Bourbon County offense in the Semi's in 2012 and 2013 when Bourbon refused to be complacent with 10-12 play drives after they had lit the scoreboard up all season with record setting RB's and a big play pass offense. It also shut out a high powered Wayne County offense in the Finals (although Mother Nature also helped a lot that day).
I think with Dixon at qb Belfry could run a very similar style of offense to what UK ran a few years ago when they had to move Lynn Bowden to qb. Even though they were running the ball 95 percent of the time they still spread the field with multiple recievers bc the defense still had to put someone on them which took an extra guy out of the box. This allows your best athlete to get in a one on one situation which Dixon will win more often that not. Not saying I'm right but it's just a thought I've considered.