Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pikeville 29 Belfry 0
Final.
Belfry is going to struggle all yeaar to beat decent teams bc of their offense. The big explosive play we've been used to from the option isn't there this year. Don't be surprised if Magoffin gives Belfry problems next week especially if Dixon doesn't play. The QB Litterall is a gunslinger and the wr Barnett kid will be the best athlete on the field if Dixon doesn't play.

Hats off to Pikeville they are the better team by far this year. This is hard for Belfry fans. They are 0-5 and all losses have really been lopsided. I'll go ahead and assume the LCA would have been the worst if they would have played it after I seen what they done to Boyle and Lex Cath tonight. Belfry already has lost 5 games this year. During their 4 peat from 13-16 Belfry lost 5 games total during that 4 year run.
Way to go Panthers!
Rough year for pond creek nation
What has happened to belfry?
Congratulations to the Panthers well deserved tonight
Congratulations Pikeville!
Toughest schedule in school history and the talent pool dipped simultaneously. Absolute worst case scenario. It won’t last long, 2-3 years, then there will be another dip.

After that, it’s uncertain.
First shutout of Belfry by Pikeville since 1956. (although there may be an issue, but 1955 was also a shutout)

First back to back wins at Belfry since 1981 & 1983.

Three consecutive wins over the Pirates since 1998, 1999, & 2000.
Coming from an outsider looking in and this could be completely wrong but

The fan support for Belfry is maybe half what it use to be. Their bleachers looked like they were still divided up into every other seat at 50% capacity like last year. No fans in the stands. And when Pikeville rolls into town thst is normally a big time atmosphere so it was sad to see that.

Then you didn’t have Dixon tonight so the game was over before it started. Belfry couldn’t get the ball going at all because they had no big play threat. Pikeville always has a great gameplan for belfry games but tonight it was more belfry just not having very good athletes. They have a physical line who blocks hard until the whistle blows but their backs aren’t hitting holes and getting yards through contact like you’d normally see. They are missing Dixon for big plays and then a consistent FB thst belfry loves to just hand to and get you 3-5 yards no matter what.

And then this isn’t a typical 1A Pikeville team. They have 65 kids on their roster and I heard a parent saying tonight in the stands they have 125 seniors graduating this year. That’s crazy for a 1A private school. Belfry I counted had 36 players on their sideline. I’ve never seen belfry without 50-60 in my time. Sad to see

Finally, I just feel like the coaching staff has mailed this season in up to this point. They knew that we’re losing tonight and didn’t really seem to get after it on the sideline. I’m use to seeing belfry coaches getting into players butts on miscues and bad plays. Tonight it was high fives and clapping hands when they were down 29 in the fourth quarter to a rival at home. I think they knew they’d be licking their wounds by this time after their really tough schedule but it’s just sad to see belfry down this bad to where they don’t play Pikeville competitive on their home field in front of a 50% full home side stadium. Belfry being good st football is good for the mountains.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 2 users Like Spud6's post:
  • BoondockSaint, Gus McCrae
It’s hard to argue with anything you said, aside from this. Belfry coaches never quit coaching. They simply knew they were outmanned tonight and kids shouldn’t be chewed out for being out matched.

It is what it is. Pikeville had the better team, congratulating kids for competing throughout is a good thing. That’s just my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BoondockSaint's post:
  • pirateforlife
(09-18-2021, 12:38 AM)BoondockSaint Wrote: It’s hard to argue with anything you said, aside from this.  Belfry coaches never quit coaching.  They simply knew they were outmanned tonight and kids shouldn’t be chewed out for being out matched. 

It is what it is.  Pikeville had the better team, congratulating kids for competing throughout is a good thing.  That’s just my opinion.

And that’s fair. I should’ve said it’s weird for Belfry staff to be in a position to have to coach like that is a better way to say it like you did.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spud6's post:
  • BoondockSaint
Belfry has always had around 60 players sometimes 70 plus for as long as I can remember before this year. When you only have around 35 that means there will be less fans bc less parents and grandparents to come watch the games. There are some fans who do not have any kids or relatives who play that come watch but not like there used to be. As far as the coaches mailing it in, that's not the case at all. They knew they were outmanned and would need help from Pikeville to have any chance of winning. Kind of like when Belfry was on their dominant run for about 8 years. I'm sure coach Mac didn't get all over his kids for not trying hard enough when they were getting running clocks put on them just about every year by Belfry. Those years Belfry just was the far superior team. Now this year it was Pikeville. If Pikeville doesn't just win 1a but steamrolls every team in it's path I will be utterly shocked. They are doggone good.
^ exactly why belfry didn’t allow the game to be streamed anywhere.
Normally I would say Belfry better get a win soon or this isn't a rivalry anymore, since I heard that from Belfry fans a million times over the years. But the truth is although I would rather eat a double turd sandwich than ever lose to Belfry, I hate to see them like this. I want them to go 9-1 every year in the regular season and win the 3A championship. So here are a few random thoughts...

Belfry played with a lot of fire even though they were outmatched. Run defense is pretty good but pass defense needs work. I don't fault their coaching but if you never ever ever throw the ball...I think Belfry staff is getting new QB reps so they can be back to Belfry football by playoffs. 5 or 6 passes per game and QB runs the offense with Dixon back to his old spot where he can do serious damage.

As for Pikeville, they can get a little sloppy at times but the talent level is through the roof. Defense doesn't get enough credit, all scores against Pikeville this year have been off of turnovers + a kickoff ran back on special teams.

The big tell from this Pikeville team is they are putting devastating runs on teams like 2019. 36-0 run vs. Paintsville, 41-0 run vs Letcher Central, 20-0 run vs Wheelersburg w/no points given up in last 3 3/4 quarters, and 29-0 vs Belfry.

This post comes with a huge grain of salt as always, just one guy's opinion. Good luck to both teams the rest of the way.
[-] The following 3 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • BoondockSaint, Footballfan98, Patriot1

(09-18-2021, 12:29 AM)Spud6 Wrote: Coming from an outsider looking in and this could be completely wrong but

And then this isn’t a typical 1A Pikeville team. They have 65 kids on their roster and I heard a parent saying tonight in the stands they have 125 seniors graduating this year. That’s crazy for a 1A private school. 

Pikeville isn't a private school. 
The highlight of my night, by far, was as me and the wife were eating at the steakhouse up next to the mall. A Panther fan asks if they sell beer for him to have with his meal lol. Steeeerike!
[-] The following 2 users Like bucslover68's post:
  • Gus McCrae, Panther Thunder
Why didn’t Dixon play?
(09-18-2021, 07:58 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: Why didn’t Dixon play?
Injured last week at Central.
If it makes Belfry fans feel any better, Louisville Trinity is 0-5 as well lol
What type of injury?
(09-18-2021, 09:48 AM)lcgrad2002 Wrote: What type of injury?

Neck or Head. I’ve heard both. Not sure on either
#BBFL
(09-17-2021, 11:34 PM)rookie57 Wrote: What has happened to belfry?
As an outsider looking in, the Pirates’ performance thus far this season is shocking. 

It’s almost as if they watched Somerset’s rapid plummet and said, “Here—hold my beer.”
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gitback Coach's post:
  • rookie57
(09-18-2021, 05:06 PM)Gitback Coach Wrote:
(09-17-2021, 11:34 PM)rookie57 Wrote: What has happened to belfry?
As an outsider looking in, the Pirates’ performance thus far this season is shocking. 

It’s almost as if they watched Somerset’s rapid plummet and said, “Here—hold my beer.”
That’s funny right there
First off....congratulations to Pikeville. Did what they needed to do to win the game.

Now for Belfry. Look .....I love my Pirates. Always will. However....this season isn’t surprising. I predicted this past winter that Belfry was going to be severely challenged from an overall talent/ability standpoint. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIRATES. Stop asking ???? This is just the natural evolution of a program that has been decimated by the local economy No jobs means no families. No families means no kids. So instead of 70+ players....you barely have 35 or so. Again.....many of us saw this coming. It’s why the 2019 team and the run they went on will always be so special. Somehow, that team and those kids stayed together. A few had to move away....but must toughed it out. Haywood and Staff can still coach just as good as they always have. Program is just suffering like the entire area is. However....there is a a other group coming. Some are in the building....some are on the field....some are on the way (middle school). Again....if those families can figure out a way to stay intact and in the area for the next few years....You’ll see Belfry once again be squarely in the mix. Believe me....The King may have abdicated his throne...but he ain’t dead. ???.
[-] The following 3 users Like OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • BoondockSaint, rookie57, Westside
I was thinking about the game last night and how much Belfry struggled on offense without Dixon. Is Belfry the only player for Belfry this year to score a td? I believe he is but someone correct me if I'm wrong.
(09-18-2021, 05:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: First off....congratulations to Pikeville.  Did what they needed to do to win the game.

Now for Belfry.  Look .....I love my Pirates.  Always will.  However....this season isn’t surprising. I predicted this past winter that Belfry was going to be severely challenged from an overall talent/ability standpoint.    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIRATES.  Stop asking ????  This is just the natural evolution of a program that has been decimated by the local economy  No jobs means  no families.  No families means no kids.  So instead of 70+ players....you barely have 35 or so.  Again.....many of us saw this coming.  It’s why the 2019 team and the run they  went on  will always be so special.  Somehow, that team and those kids stayed together.  A few had to move away....but must toughed  it out.          Haywood and Staff can still coach just as good as they always have.    Program is just suffering like the entire area is.  However....there is a a other group coming.  Some are in the building....some are on the field....some are on the way (middle school).  Again....if those families can figure out a way to stay intact and in the area for the next few years....You’ll see Belfry once again  be squarely in the mix.  Believe me....The King may have abdicated his throne...but he ain’t dead.  ???.
If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.
(09-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Truewords Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 05:47 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote: First off....congratulations to Pikeville.  Did what they needed to do to win the game.

Now for Belfry.  Look .....I love my Pirates.  Always will.  However....this season isn’t surprising. I predicted this past winter that Belfry was going to be severely challenged from an overall talent/ability standpoint.    THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE PIRATES.  Stop asking ????  This is just the natural evolution of a program that has been decimated by the local economy  No jobs means  no families.  No families means no kids.  So instead of 70+ players....you barely have 35 or so.  Again.....many of us saw this coming.  It’s why the 2019 team and the run they  went on  will always be so special.  Somehow, that team and those kids stayed together.  A few had to move away....but must toughed  it out.          Haywood and Staff can still coach just as good as they always have.    Program is just suffering like the entire area is.  However....there is a a other group coming.  Some are in the building....some are on the field....some are on the way (middle school).  Again....if those families can figure out a way to stay intact and in the area for the next few years....You’ll see Belfry once again  be squarely in the mix.  Believe me....The King may have abdicated his throne...but he ain’t dead.  ???.
If they are on the team why are they not on the field? If they are in the building why are they not on the team?I’m confused on those remarks. Agree with you on the other parts. Still believe they need someone to coach the DB’s. Belfry has always had a weak pass defense.
I hate to reply to this silliness but I will

1) Had a potential starting QB transfer then transfer backi.  The upperclassmen voted to not let him play...In the building

2) Injuries.  Still at least two big pieces of the team out... On the team, but not on the field

3) You do not win 7 state championships and have 7 runners up without a good DB coach.  The same DB coach has coached all the state championship teams and 4 of the runners up.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucslover68's post:
  • OutlawJoseyWales
(09-18-2021, 09:23 PM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(09-18-2021, 09:14 PM)Truewords Wrote:

I hate to reply to this silliness but I will

1) Had a potential starting QB transfer then transfer backi.  The upperclassmen voted to not let him play...In the building

2) Injuries.  Still at least two big pieces of the team out... On the team, but not on the field

3) You do not win 7 state championships and have 7 runners up without a good DB coach.  The same DB coach has coached all the state championship teams and 4 of the runners up.
Not silly to point facts. Easy to coach when you have better athletes than your opponent. Go all way back to Knoxville Catholic game several years ago. Got beat because couldn’t defend the pass. Had very good athletes on team. Now forward to this year. Not as many athletes and have to teach and develop kids through your system and it’s not happening. Pikeville has beat Belfry 3 years in a row throwing the football.