Poll: Who wins?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Pikeville
80.95%
Belfry
19.05%
* You voted for this item.

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Pikeville @ Belfry 9/17
Class 1A Pikeville (4-0) will travel to Class 3A Belfry (0-4)

Pikeville: Won against Wheelersburg (OH) 20-7, Letcher County Central 48-7, Bourbon County 1-0, Paintsville 43-21

Belfry: lost against Central 37-6, Lexington Christian 0-1, Covington Catholic 42-13, Pulaski County 55-13

This is a Rivalry game like no other recently with the last game going in favor of Pikeville 20-14. Pikeville comes into this matchup as the #1 team in Class 1A. 

Belfry needs no introduction as they in my eyes are still a threat to make a move to be in contention in Class 3A, will this be the game that turns Belfry's season around?

Thoughts?
Pikeville 42-14
Pikeville big
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Pikeville 35
Belfry 14
Is Dixon still at Qb? Normally I’d never question Coach Haywood, EVER but got to wonder is this where Dixon is the best fit? Just a question, I’ve not had the chance to watch any of the games and Belfry has played a complete schedule so far, definitely not had a week off so far….
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • PHS DYNASTY
Pikeville by possibly their biggest margin in the Heywood era.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Gitback Coach
(09-12-2021, 03:16 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Pikeville by possibly their biggest margin in the Heywood era.
Anyone know what the largest margin of victory for Pikeville is in this series? What about since Haywood has been at Belfry? Belfry HAS to hold onto the football and tackle a lot better than they have done so far this season or it will be embarrassing for pirate fans. Crazy how just a few short years ago Belfry was consistently putting running clocks on Pikeville and many were saying this series should be discontinued cause it wasn't competitive. Now Pikeville is the clear favorite and nobody would be in total shock if Pikeville puts the running clock on Belfry this year.
(09-12-2021, 03:22 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 03:16 PM)Scotty_Bronson Wrote: Pikeville by possibly their biggest margin in the Heywood era.
Anyone know what the largest margin of victory for Pikeville is in this series? What about since Haywood has been at Belfry? Belfry HAS to hold onto the football and tackle a lot better than they have done so far this season or it will be embarrassing for pirate fans. Crazy how just a few short years ago Belfry was consistently putting running clocks on Pikeville and many were saying this series should be discontinued cause it wasn't competitive. Now Pikeville is the clear favorite and nobody would be in total shock if Pikeville puts the running clock on Belfry this year.

Not knowing what year Haywood started at Belfry, the fact the two schools didn’t play from ‘66-‘77, I feel safe in saying a 34-point, 41-7 win for Pikeville in 1991 is the largest margin of victory for Pikeville during the Haywood era. 

The largest margin in series history is a 79-0 win by Pikeville in 1929. 

Belfry’s largest margin of victory is a 48-0 win in 2012.

Belfry leads the all-time series 38-33-2 according to my current records.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • Red and Black
(09-12-2021, 04:53 PM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(09-12-2021, 03:22 PM)pirateforlife Wrote:

Not knowing what year Haywood started at Belfry, the fact the two schools didn’t play from ‘66-‘77, I feel safe in saying a 34-point, 41-7 win for Pikeville in 1991 is the largest margin of victory for Pikeville during the Haywood era. 

The largest margin in series history is a 79-0 win by Pikeville in 1929. 

Belfry’s largest margin of victory is a 48-0 win in 2012.

Belfry leads the all-time series 38-33-2 according to my current records.
1984 was his first year at Belfry. He coached 9 seasons at Pburg prior to coming to Pond Creek.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pirateforlife's post:
  • Panther Thunder
In that case, Haywood is 27-10 vs. Pikeville while at Belfry.

McNamee is 5-12 vs. Belfry at Pikeville.
(09-12-2021, 02:54 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: Is Dixon still at Qb?  Normally I’d never question Coach Haywood, EVER but got to wonder is this where Dixon is the best fit?  Just a question, I’ve not had the chance to watch any of the games and Belfry has played a complete schedule so far, definitely not had a week off so far….
Imo, most, if not all Pirate faithful would agree that Dixon would be solid at rb for any Belfry team, but this is not your typical Belfry football team. If you took Isaac Dixon and put him in a triple option formation that we've seen Belfry produce through the years, then he would be at his best and racking up the yardage. Jmo.
Dixon is at his best at rb but the problem is they have noone else who can play the position in this offense. Just handling the snaps has been a problem in every game so far. Brett Coleman would have been a great option at fullback last season but they couldn't play him there bc noone else could play quarterback. The o line has struggled this season as well. This seems like just one of those years where the overall talent isn't there like it has been in recent years. Plus the competition they have played hasn't made it any easier.
[-] The following 2 users Like pirateforlife's post:
  • BoondockSaint, TD Hounds
I think Pikeville will win but I have a hard time believing Pikeville will put a running clock on Belfry especially on Pond Creek...I would love to see it happen though lol. Honestly though even though I still love it as much as ever I don't follow high school football near as close as I used too and I really don't know what to expect. I've got close friends that are hard-core fans of both programs so the vast majority of what I know and hear are what my friends tell me and what I read on BGR.

Admittedly it's a very uninformed prediction but I will take Pikeville over Belfry 26-14. I'm hoping for a injury free football game and both teams use the game to improve so that they are both playing their best football come playoff time and they can bring 2 more state titles back home to Pike County.

Go Panthers!!
Belfry is much better than their record. I honestly feel like their backfield is better than last year. Fumbles are the issue. They normally have that fixed by now. I expect it will be fixed by this weekend.
I guess ill make the 2 hour trip for this one even though I don't expect a close game. I think Belfry keeps it closer than expected for a quarter or so but the Panthers pull away. Belfrys only chance of keeping it close is to line Dixon up at back and hand it off to him 40 times.
49-14
With JV playing most of 4th for pikeville

Anyone know why more of Belfry players didn't take advantage of the 5th year rule?
i hate to say it but looks like 3 in a row for Pikeville,if Belfry holds on to the ball it will be a better game,if not running clock..Go Pirates
Belfry is better than their record indicates. I haven’t had a chance to watch their last two games, but I watched some of the Pulaski game and they made some plays, just turned the ball over a ton and when you do that games get lopsided quickly.

I think it’ll take Belfry playing a near perfect game to keep this one competitive. Pikeville just has too much for Belfry this year.

Panthers win, 34-14.
Pikeville 42-14
(09-13-2021, 01:33 AM)pjdoug Wrote: Pikeville 42-14
Well I now know my prediction is garbage. Hahaha
Pikeville 49-7
I remember back in the late 80’s when Pikeville was riding the states longest active winning streak and rolled into Vipperman to face a 1-3 Belfry team. That winning streak ended that night. A wounded animal backed into a corner is extremely dangerous. If Pikeville isn’t careful this could not end well, my opinion is that they’re still facing quite possible the single most dangerous running back that they’ve faced all season. All it will take is for Dixon to bust one or two big plays and all of the sudden the Pirates will have some confidence. Also Pikeville coming off a long road trip and very physical battle with a very good Wheelersburg squad, and quite possibly looking ahead to what could be the best team on their schedule in LCA......This very well could be a let down game for the Panthers. Another test for the Panthers to see if they have the maturity to bring that hunger and fight week in and week out. I mean they should, it’s Belfry.....that should be enough. But I thought the same about Hazard last year. I do think you can throw out the records for this one, but at the end, if they bring it like they have the last couple weeks, I think Pikeville still wins by a few scores. But all you guys predicting a running clock, too much pride over there on Pond Creek for that. Won’t happen. Good luck to both teams on an injury free game, always fun watching these two teams play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Micro-Brew's post:
  • jetpilot
^^^I agree with all of this. If Pikeville doesn't bring their A game the drive back will be very sad. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon back at RB for this one. The QB experiment was a very bad idea and has failed. If there is any team that can get Belfry fired up and raise their level of play by a couple notches, it is Pikeville. Belfry is very very dangerous in this spot. You can throw out what they have done up to this point IMO.
I think this one will be closer than we expect. I went back and rewatched the central game last night and Belfry looks like an uncharacteristic Haywood team. Haywood is a fundamentals guy, but this belfry team is terrible with their fundamentals. Missed block assignments, arm tackling, not protecting the football… I think they’ve got what it takes to win 3A still, but not if they don’t start playing Haywood football.

Pikeville 28
Belfry 21
(09-13-2021, 08:36 AM)2000PHS Wrote:
(09-13-2021, 01:33 AM)pjdoug Wrote: Pikeville 42-14
Well I now know my prediction is garbage. Hahaha

it usually is, so you should be used to it by now. lol
(09-13-2021, 10:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I agree with all of this. If Pikeville doesn't bring their A game the drive back will be very sad. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon back at RB for this one. The QB experiment was a very bad idea and has failed. If there is any team that can get Belfry fired up and raise their level of play by a couple notches, it is Pikeville. Belfry is very very dangerous in this spot. You can throw out what they have done up to this point IMO.
Booooooo. I was looking for a more traditional post from you “anyone who wants Belfry and +17 bring a sack full of money on Friday”
[-] The following 1 user Likes 2000PHS's post:
  • jetpilot
(09-13-2021, 10:01 AM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^I agree with all of this. If Pikeville doesn't bring their A game the drive back will be very sad. I also wouldn't be surprised to see Dixon back at RB for this one. The QB experiment was a very bad idea and has failed. If there is any team that can get Belfry fired up and raise their level of play by a couple notches, it is Pikeville. Belfry is very very dangerous in this spot. You can throw out what they have done up to this point IMO.

skeered ain't ye?
(09-13-2021, 11:55 AM)2000PHS Wrote:
Booooooo. I was looking for a more traditional post from you “anyone who wants Belfry and +17 bring a sack full of money on Friday”

I'll take the Pirates on a $2 bet. Jetpilot will pay you if I lose. lol
[-] The following 2 users Like pjdoug's post:
  • jetpilot, Patriot1
Jet.  What is the calpreps pick for this game? I was thinking 35-10 Panthers.
(09-14-2021, 09:23 AM)bucslover68 Wrote:
Before he does, even Calpreps cautions use of the projections before October 1st lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Panther Thunder's post:
  • jetpilot
(09-14-2021, 09:46 AM)Panther Thunder Wrote:
(09-14-2021, 09:23 AM)bucslover68 Wrote:
Before he does, even Calpreps cautions use of the projections before October 1st lol
Lol Jet’s never been too cautious!