Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cincinnati McNicholas 27 Highlands 21
Any comments

I guess my question is how good is McNicholas? I know nothing about them l
(09-10-2021, 11:07 PM)bo67 Wrote: Any comments

I guess my question is how good is McNicholas? I know nothing about them l

They're tied for the league lead in the GCL Co-Ed with Hamilton Badin.

CalPreps rankings:
Ohio #101, Division 4 #9

McNick would be classed by size as 2A in KY.
Highlands has been hit hard by injuries before tonight‘s game and in tonight‘s game. The third string quarterback came in with 33 seconds in the first half and threw a really bad pass for an 80 yard INT. Prior to that very bad missed tackle lead to a 60 yard TD. Those two plays were the difference in the game. Highlands outplayed them in the second half, had the ball in the red zone twice in the last six minutes of the game but could not get it in. Highlands needs to get healthy!
Ok thanks. Is Noon injured
Noon was out for a few plays when he got hurt on a bone head play. He had a good game running the ball but his passing game is average , made a lot of poor decisions.
The talk of Highlands being “back” was a little premature. They were in a shootout with Simon Kenton, and Beechwood just throttled SK. Highlands has improved, but they are not, “back” yet.
[-] The following 2 users Like KentuckyHillBilly5321's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, sstack
If Highlands is back, then they should be ready for a game with Johnson Central. The main reason that Highlands seems to be "back" is that they have steadily watered down their schedule in recent years. Overall, teams in NKY have improved their programs and Highlands is no longer the only magnet for football talent in the area. I am not accusing Highlands of recruiting during their glory years, but parents wanting their kids to play in a great program naturally were attracted to the school. Football talent is more evenly spread through NKY now, which is a good thing, IMO.
(09-12-2021, 01:08 AM)KentuckyHillBilly5321 Wrote: The talk of Highlands being “back” was a little premature. They were in a shootout with Simon Kenton, and Beechwood just throttled SK. Highlands has improved, but they are not, “back” yet.
I agree it was premature and stated so. The talent is not great but coaching is SO MUCH BETTER!  QB is average. Good athlete, good runner but not a good passer/decision maker. No RB. Poor special teams. There is a new feel and you see adjustments being made by staff that was lacking with previous staff. There is excitement back where before the feeling was we can’t win with these coaches. Highlands should have won this game, two huge mistakes turned the game right before halftime giving them two long TD’s. One was a third string soph QB brought on the field due to injuries and he looked scared and overwhelmed. Even with giving up those TD’s highlands still had a chance to pull off the win. HHS fans see a brighter future. There is a lot of talent in freshman/sophomore classes.
(09-12-2021, 01:25 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: If Highlands is back, then they should be ready for a game with Johnson Central. The main reason that Highlands seems to be "back" is that they have steadily watered down their schedule in recent years. Overall, teams in NKY have improved their programs and Highlands is no longer the only magnet for football talent in the area. I am not accusing Highlands of recruiting during their glory years, but parents wanting their kids to play in a great program naturally were attracted to the school. Football talent is more evenly spread through NKY now, which is a good thing, IMO.
I don’t think the talent is anymore spread than before, I think coaching at other schools has improved tremendously and HHS coaching was awful. You say they watered down their schedule but they just scheduled the teams they always wanted to play but those teams would not play them just like teams won’t play JC. As long as local teams agree to play highlands I don’t see them traveling 3 hours for a game. And number one attraction to Highlands is academics!  There are always a few parents who  choose schools based on athletics (sad) but the first thing people say on why the move to Ft Thomas is for their national ranked academics. Perfect example is past president of NKU researched all local public and private schools and picked Highlands because of academics. He had a child who was a top athlete in the state, but sports did not factor into their decision (they did say it was nice to have top athletic programs but that it was just icing on the cake).