Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Coal Mining Stickers
Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
(08-26-2021, 03:10 PM)Westside Wrote: Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
I was on a mine rescue team for a couple of years and built a small collection but I have lost track of it over the years. One of my roommates' father had a huge collection. He was a longtime Safety Director for a large coal company with operations in WV, VA, and KY and began collecting them when he was a young man. Mine rescue and first aid competitions were great places to trade stickers with miners from other companies around the country.
(08-26-2021, 05:20 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(08-26-2021, 03:10 PM)Westside Wrote: Have any of you in the past or do any of you currently collect coal mining stickers.  When I was a kid in the early 80's it was a big hobby around eastern Kentucky.  I kept my old collection and have recently started buying a few here and there.  i don't have a lot.  I guess i have 200-300 in my collection.  It's relatively cheap hobby, and I guess it has a bit of nostalgia to it.
I was on a mine rescue team for a couple of years and built a small collection but I have lost track of it over the years. One of my roommates' father had a huge collection. He was a longtime Safety Director for a large coal company with operations in WV, VA, and KY and began collecting them when he was a young man. Mine rescue and first aid competitions were great places to trade stickers with miners from other companies around the country.

I still have my original collection.  It isn't substantial by any means, but I'm glad I still have it.  I drove a rock truck for a surface mine in Jackson County back in the late 90's.  Collecting stickers didn't even cross my mind at that point.  Besides, when I think of coal mining stickers, I think of deep mines, not strip mines.