Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Volleyball in trouble in Kentucky?
So I happened to see where there were 3 High School teams that were posting during the dead period that they needed Head Coaches, just days before the season starts.  

This made me wonder if Volleyball is in trouble in KY if they cant find coaches.  Thoughts?
Volleyball seems to have higher turnover in coaches than the other sports. Two biggest reasons are probably low pay and lack of respect for the game.
(07-13-2021, 11:06 AM)justthefacts Wrote: Volleyball seems to have higher turnover in coaches than the other sports. Two biggest reasons are probably low pay and lack of respect for the game.
Most likely
(07-13-2021, 11:06 AM)justthefacts Wrote: Volleyball seems to have higher turnover in coaches than the other sports. Two biggest reasons are probably low pay and lack of respect for the game.
I get that, but you have one school in particular that the AD is doing tryouts because they dont have a coach yet.  The season has started and no coach.  Is that a norm?
(07-14-2021, 10:47 PM)plantmanky Wrote:
I get that, but you have one school in particular that the AD is doing tryouts because they dont have a coach yet.  The season has started and no coach.  Is that a norm?
What school doesn’t have a coach with the season not far from starting?
There are 267 volleyball teams in the KHSAA. So 264 of them have coaches. I think the sport is growing and thriving. Hopefully we can get Boys Volleyball sanctioned sooner than later!
(07-17-2021, 03:10 PM)vbtalk Wrote: There are 267 volleyball teams in the KHSAA. So 264 of them have coaches. I think the sport is growing and thriving. Hopefully we can get Boys Volleyball sanctioned sooner than later!
I think you are right, volleyball has grown leaps and bounds over the last 5 years in KY.  Seeing more and more Club level teams pop up even here in the Eastern KY areas.  Problem is, IMO, coaches that truly know anything about volleyball in this area are few and far between.  Just guessing, off the top of my head real fast, in the 15th/16th region alone there is probably only 2-3 coaches with any real college volleyball experience, most others MIGHT have played some high school volleyball playing experience, if that.  Not saying you have to have collegiate level playing experience to be a good volleyball coach, but knowledge of the game certainly helps.
(07-21-2021, 10:14 AM)Creeker Wrote:
(07-17-2021, 03:10 PM)vbtalk Wrote: There are 267 volleyball teams in the KHSAA. So 264 of them have coaches. I think the sport is growing and thriving. Hopefully we can get Boys Volleyball sanctioned sooner than later!
I think you are right, volleyball has grown leaps and bounds over the last 5 years in KY.  Seeing more and more Club level teams pop up even here in the Eastern KY areas.  Problem is, IMO, coaches that truly know anything about volleyball in this area are few and far between.  Just guessing, off the top of my head real fast, in the 15th/16th region alone there is probably only 2-3 coaches with any real college volleyball experience, most others MIGHT have played some high school volleyball playing experience, if that.  Not saying you have to have collegiate level playing experience to be a good volleyball coach, but knowledge of the game certainly helps.
Couldn’t agree more. We definitely have a coaching shortage. Lots of good coaches out there who never played volleyball in college. Quite a few also who never played at all and learned the sport as an adult. My suggestion to a school in need would be get a head coach who can manage a program - scheduling, transportation, logistics, dealing with parents, etc... then get a recent grad or local college student who has recently played volleyball to handle the skills specific part. Educators are crafty... teach them the basics and they’ll figure out a way to get it to the kids in a way that works.
[-] The following 1 user Likes vbtalk's post:
  • nemo
I've been following Kentucky high school volleyball for over 50 years. I'm excited that the sport is finally filling in all the corners of the state. I think "vbtalk" is spot on in his suggestions to widen and improve the coaching pool.

The number of teams has doubled in the last 25 years to 267 in 16 regions. The year of the first sanctioned state tournament in 1979, only 39 schools offered the sport in four Regions (one in Louisville, two in NKY, and one state "At Large.") Only a few schools west of Ft. Knox or south of Lexington and Ashland played, and not a single Louisville public school offered the sport until the following year. Northern Kentucky schools had been playing since the mid 1940s and the private schools in Louisville since the mid 1950s.

Several small to midsize schools that tried to field both girls soccer and volleyball teams have dropped soccer in the last 20 years. I think that's sound thinking.

Volleyball does have the highest coaching turnover rate of any of the "ball" sports. The median head coaching stint since 2010 is TWO years.

This season roughly half of the 267 schools have head coaches with less than two years of career HC experience, and nearly 50 of them are in their first year in the position ever.

89 schools have had between five to seven coaches since 2010. In these last twelve years, there have been over 150 one-and-done coaches who haven't become a HC at any other school. 37 schools are on their third coach in four years, two are on their fourth. In football or basketball, three or more coaches over the career of a high school player would cause an uproar in a community. Nearly 40 schools are in this position this season and hardly anyone bats an eye.

If you're wondering why your school or region isn't more successful on a statewide level, look no further. The ability of most schools to attract and retain experienced, qualified, and committed coaches outside of the Louisville, Lexington, Northern Kentucky, and Bowling Green metro areas is extremely low.

The challenges of building a volleyball culture where none existed before, often times from scratch are tremendous. A lower pay scale for as much or more work with fewer resources than other established sports is a tough sell. Is there enough support among community stakeholders to make building a program worthwhile?

I get that the sport is considered a "minor" one at most schools, and a girl's sport at that. The number of 5A/6A size schools staffing 2-3 coaches and trying to maintain Varsity/JV/Frosh programs with no volunteer help is stunning. A statewide sampling of roster turnover (participation through Senior year) at 1A - 4A size schools is revealing too - not good. I'd hate to think of players dropping a great sport due to a lack of stable, consistent coaching or leadership.

At this stage of the sport in 90% of the state, solid coaching (organization and player development) matters most. 40+ years on and there are still lots of growth opportunities.
Vb would be a lot better if the state tournament could be held at a college facility. Nothing against Valley or GRC, they’re good. But every HS player in the state doesn’t dream of playing ther. How about Memorial Coliseum instead?
^ I would agree with that whole heartedly.