Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Best Live Performances of All-Time by Solo Artist or Group !!!!!
I got to thinking about some of the single greatest live performances ever by a solo artist or a group.  One that immediately comes to mind for me is Bobby Hatfield's 1965 performance of "Unchained Melody" on the Andy Williams Show.    Bobby was nervous because his parents were in the audience and he wanted to deliver a perfect performance for mom and dad.  Man, did he ever!!!   Mama must have been mighty proud.

Dude had just a simple little microphone and his amazing voice.  NO lip sync, no autotune , just opens his mouth and magic comes out. Watch at the very end where Bobby bites his lip and smiles. He knew he nailed the perfect performance for mom and dad.  Bobby was only 25 at the time.  RIP. Legend.

One of my favorite performances from the last thirty years occurred on David Letterman's finale  on NBC in 1991.   Letterman was leaving NBC for CBS after eleven plus years doing Late Night. Conan was taking over David's show and Leno had been hired to take over for Carson on The Tonight Show (much to Letterman's dismay). The one guest that David had always wanted on the show in that time but couldn't ever make it happen was Springsteen. Guess who shows up on his last show at NBC?  

Most performers would just show up for the audience and just mail in the performance.  Not  "The Boss."  He proceeded to tear the joint apart with a riveting and memorable live performance, even jumping on top of Schaeffer's piano near the end.   One of the great television moments in the last three decades.    Oh, how I miss those Glory Days!!!  Enjoy!!!

July 13, 1985 ...  Wembley Stadium ...  Live Aid .   Need I say more?   Rock's greatest showman delivered 21 minutes of pure rock 'n roll euphoria.

The best singer the world has ever known delivering a live performance for the ages. The date was  1971, Live from the BBC concert.  Here's "Superstar" from that concert. So hauntingly beautiful!   Man, was this lovely lady a superstar for the ages!!! Again, no lip sync, no autotune, just  a beautiful instrument this woman was blessed with from birth.  I LOVE this woman!!!

Jan. 14, 1973 , Elvis performed live from Honolulu in a concert called "Aloha from Hawaii."  It was broadcast live in more than 40 countries. It was broadcast in the U.S. on April 4( some event known as Superbowl VII was on American TV's on Jan. 14). It is estimated that between a billion and 1.5 billion people viewed the King's special.  I was only 11 years old but I was one of those billion viewers glued to my grandparents' TV set. Elvis was magnificent that night.   Here's EAP  with "American Trilogy"  from  Aloha from Hawaii.