Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
14th Region Baseball Facilities
I stayed in Lexington several days and went to all the state tournament games.  While there I went to all the Lexington schools and noticed that every single field they had including Bryan Station who people say is in the rough part of town, had a press box and bathrooms at their fields.  Some of the high school fields in Lexington were pristine and immaculate.   My question is, why don't we do the same for the kids in the 14th region?  Money is there.  Dont they appropriate the funding correctly at the 14th Region Schools?  There are several fields that dont even have restrooms.  Hazard (Great Program), Perry County, Buckhorn, Owsley, Estill County, and the list goes on.  Several dont have press boxes either.  Perry doesnt, Buckhorn, Leslie, and some more.  I know they probably dont need all those things but lets try to get with the times and do whats best for the kids.  Give them nice things and make them feel as special as anyone else in the state.  14th Region needs to get with the times.
Estill is getting ready to start renovations on both the baseball and softball fields/facilities as well as the football field. I think renovations start in August. I think they will do both baseball and softball first then switch over to football once season is over.
I know that Breathitt county got FEMA relief money to build another hitting facility to accommodate baseball and softball. Coach Hamilton talked to me about it having a full infield and hitting lanes inside the cage to get out of the weather in the offseason. Other than that I am not sure why other schools dont do major field upgrades. I heard wolfe is building onto there facility as well.

As much as baseball goes around unlike basketball for region tournaments you would think these would be requirements to host.
Hard to broadcast district and regional softball and baseball games in 80 and 90 degree weather.
I don't know about the money being there - some of the poorest counties in the nation. Most of the schools are a quarter of the size of Lexington schools, some even smaller, and most have no history of nice baseball facilities.
The money is there. Need to make improvements and do WHATS BEST FOR THE KIDS. Time to get with the times.