Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolfe County 4 Perry County 3
Wolfe County wins the 14th Region Championship.
Was suppose to be Estill or Perry’s title to win all year long. But when the smoke settled it was Coach Benny Campbell and the Lady Wolves winning their 2nd straight regional title. 
Overlooked all year long but kept grinding and getting better every week. 
Congrats to the team and Coach Campbell.
Wolfe was probably the “underdog” all 3 region games according to most on here but they beat KCC, Estill and PCC. To win it all couldn’t of had a harder path to win it.
Benny Campbell is a heck of a coach! Can’t take anything away from him or his kids!! They get it done when necessary. Heck of a game...played by both teams.
Congrats Coach Campbell...you earned it on the field
How can such a big school with all that funding get beat by a little Class A school that barely fields enough kids to make a team? Not really sure how a team with a prestigious coaching staff can get beat time and time again by smaller schools. Think they would of figured it out by now.
(06-10-2021, 01:23 PM)DukeBoy Wrote: How can such a big school with all that funding get beat by a little Class A school that barely fields enough kids to make a team? Not really sure how a team with a prestigious coaching staff can get beat time and time again by smaller schools.  Think they would of figured it out by now.
How do you know they get “all that funding?” Who said they have a “prestigious coaching staff?” How can they get beat by them is they have a really solid team with experience and a great coach. They played well, made plays, and scratched out the victory.
No reason why a school the size of Perry Central with all those facilities should lose to a Class A school with very little funding and very few people. Simply no excuse. I dont care how good Coach Campbell is at Wolfe. Thats 2 times in a row they have slayed the Dragon. I lost a lot of money on that game last night. Im not a Perry fan but Im just in awe.
My suggestion is to not bet against Benny Campbell. Lol
From what I hear he maybe hanging it up after this season.
(06-10-2021, 06:18 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: From what I hear he maybe hanging it up after this season.
Wow would hate to see him go. He is a great guy and coach.
Well no one at Wolfe will ever say they will be better when Benny’s gone. He can coach there as long as he wants. If he does hang it up he will always be remembered as the person that built Wolfe’s program and took it to great heights.
Valid point about the size of the school and the funding. The 4 teams that played in the final 4 were the 3 biggest schools in the region and then Wolfe.
But it’s about how you develop your players and your team. No matter the size or the money.
If Benny coached at Perry he would still spend all of his time teaching the fundamentals each and everyday.
If I was betting I would say that UK basketball team has 4 times the budget and much better facilities than Gonzaga. Yet their program has been much better the last few years than UK’s is.
(06-11-2021, 12:47 AM)14th region fanman Wrote: Valid point about the size of the school and the funding. The 4 teams that played in the final 4 were the 3 biggest schools in the region and then Wolfe.
But it’s about how you develop your players and your team. No matter the size or the money.
If Benny coached at Perry he would still spend all of his time teaching the fundamentals each and everyday.
If I was betting I would say that UK basketball team has 4 times the budget and much better facilities than Gonzaga. Yet their program has been much better the last few years than UK’s is.

This! That could be said about different sports in the 14th too. Money and facilities dont win ball games. The players got to get it done on the field. A lot of coaches focusing on just W/L than developing the players, that is why these small schools like Wolfe is having success. 
Some of you are acting as if Wolfe County is unbelievably small in enrollment. Although they don’t have the enrollment of Perry, Estill and Knott, they are not Riverside or June Buchanan in size. They have close to 400 in their high school.
You can only put 9 kids 11 kids 5 kids on the field or court at a time all the other students at the school can only stand and watch or cheer or whatever they choose to do and has no say so in the out come of the game . School size don't matter when the game starts its the kids on the field or court that decide the game. Some kids are more talented or maybe a better coach but i dont think school size means a whole lot.
Lol so you don’t think it matters if you 175 girls to pick a team from compared to 500 girls? Why do they class football then?
Just like the sign says.......... SIZE MATTERS
Sounds like maybe we should go to classes in softball just like they do in football. Kentucky is one of the last states that do it this way in softball, baseball, and obviously basketball. Allows the Shelby Valleys of the basketball world to shock those Ballards, Scott County’s, or whomever it is in whatever sport.
I bet Coaches Bobby Ratliff and Lynn West are hoping/begging that Benny steps away!! Not quite worked out for the two region powerhouses over the last couple years.
Just sayin’
I don’t think Perry is a region powerhouse. They haven’t won a region title in 20+ years. If you are the biggest school in the region and haven’t won a regional title in 20 years you can’t be considered a powerhouse. As of now Perry is a regional contender.
I thought Perry Central done really good considering they lost the best player in the region. Kaylie Dixon. Shed been playing would been a big difference.
I seen Benny Campbell step down at Wolfe.
Wolfe County will miss Benny and forever be in debt to all of his hard work to make the program into what it is today. Most people don’t realize that when Benny took over Wolfe basically lost ever game they played and most was in blowout fashion. The next coach will be getting several players that have played in a ton of big games and won championships before. Benny didn’t leave the program in a complete rebuild like a lot of coaches do. Wolfe will be a contender again next year if they continue to work hard and improve. Excited to see the new coach get started.
Congratulations to Coach Campbell on a great career. HOF for sure in my book, from where he brought the program to where he leaves it.
Lucas Miller will be the new Alpha at Wolfe. The program will stay strong.
Lucas Miller won’t be the new coach he is the 14th region baseball and softball assigning Secretary. Wolfe will have a new coach soon and will be in good hands. I think the reason Lucas took the assigner job was it allowed him to watch his daughter play.