Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reds' Baseball: Cardinals @ Reds (Opening Series)
Let's  play ball Reds' fans!!!

Luis  Castillo(4-6 , 3.21 ERA in 2020) is the opening day starter for the Redlegs and  Jack Flaherty( 4-3 , 4.91 ERA in 2020) is on the bump for the Cardinals.

Lineups:

Cardinals :

2B Edmand
1B Goldschmidt
3B Arenadao
SS Dejong
LF  O'Neill
 C Molina
CF Carlson
RF Williams
P  Flaherty

Reds:

LF  Winker 
RF  Castellanos
1B  Votto 
SS  Suarez
3B  Moustakas
CF  Senzel
2B  India
C  Barnhardt
 P Castillo

Cards with 6 big ones in the top of the 1st : Cards 6 Reds 0

Reds get  1 in the bottom of the first. Winker doubles and scores on a wild pitch.

Cards   6    Reds   1

Cards 7 Reds 1 Bottom 2

Two errors in two innings for Suarez.
I hope this is not an indication of how the Reds' season is going to be.
I haven't seen or heard very much about this season. What are expectations for the Reds this year? Will they be good enough to get the playoffs and win a series for the first time since the mid 90's?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(04-01-2021, 05:56 PM)Jarons Wrote: I hope this is not an indication of how the Reds' season is going to be. 
I haven't seen or heard very much about this season. What are expectations for the Reds this year? Will they be good enough to get the playoffs and win a series for the first time since the mid 90's?

I would like to say yes but it doesn't seem likely. The pitching staff has holes with Bauer gone and Sonny Gray injured and the bullpen is questionable. Suarez  moved to shortstop and has already committed two errors. The new second baseman has zero major league experience. Shogo Yakiyama is injured, as is Jared Lorenzen. David Bell hasn't impressed me in his tenure at Cinci.  I wish I could be more optimistic but a .500 season may be a big challenge.

11- 6  Cardinals  after  5 .    Castillo charged with   8 earnies in 3.1 innings -  a less than stellar  21.60  ERA .
(04-01-2021, 07:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 05:56 PM)Jarons Wrote: I hope this is not an indication of how the Reds' season is going to be. 

I would like to say yes but it doesn't seem likely. The pitching staff has holes with Bauer gone and Sonny Gray injured and  the bullpen is questionable. Suarez  moved to shortstop and has already committed two errors. The new second baseman has zero major league experience. Shogo Yakiyama is injured, as is Jared Lorenzen. David Bell hasn't impressed me in his tenure at Cinci.  I wish I could be more optimistic but a .500 season may be a big challenge.

Sad to say, the only current Reds that you mentioned is Sonny Gray and David Bell, the Manger. 
Even sadder, I didn't know opening day was coming up until yesterday. With fall sports happening right now in North Carolina has me all messed up. We are in the middle of football season. Baseball was the last thing on my mind.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Baserunning error cost the Reds a run in the bottom of the 6th . With bases loaded and one out, Castellanos hit a sharp liner to the outfield for the second out .Tyler Stephenson  got caught off second base. A run crossed the plate after Stephenson was tagged out.  Little League baserunning.

(04-01-2021, 07:34 PM)Jarons Wrote:

I would like to say yes but it doesn't seem likely. The pitching staff has holes with Bauer gone and Sonny Gray injured and  the bullpen is questionable. Suarez  moved to shortstop and has already committed two errors. The new second baseman has zero major league experience. Shogo Yakiyama is injured, as is Jared Lorenzen. David Bell hasn't impressed me in his tenure at Cinci.  I wish I could be more optimistic but a .500 season may be a big challenge.

Sad to say, the only current Reds that you mentioned is Sonny Gray and David Bell, the Manger. 
Even sadder, I didn't know opening day was coming up until yesterday. With fall sports happening right now in North Carolina has me all messed up. We are in the middle of football season. Baseball was the last thing on my mind.

I understand that. COVID has us all discombobulated . Are you a Reds fan or Braves fan?
(04-01-2021, 07:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Baserunning error cost the Reds a run in the bottom of the 6th . With bases loaded and one out, Castellanos hit a sharp liner to the outfield for the second out .Tyler Stephenson  got caught off second base. A run crossed the plate after Stephenson was tagged out.  Little League baserunning.

I understand that. COVID has us all discombobulated . Are you a Reds fan or Braves fan?

The Reds and whoever is playing the Yankees.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(04-01-2021, 08:16 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 07:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Baserunning error cost the Reds a run in the bottom of the 6th . With bases loaded and one out, Castellanos hit a sharp liner to the outfield for the second out .Tyler Stephenson  got caught off second base. A run crossed the plate after Stephenson was tagged out.  Little League baserunning.

That's me .    I don't think I've ever rooted for the Yankees or the Dodgers in a game. If they played each other, I'd hope for a double forfeit.
(04-01-2021, 09:38 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(04-01-2021, 08:16 PM)Jarons Wrote:

(04-01-2021, 07:14 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I would like to say yes but it doesn't seem likely. The pitching staff has holes with Bauer gone and Sonny Gray injured and  the bullpen is questionable. Suarez  moved to shortstop and has already committed two errors. The new second baseman has zero major league experience. Shogo Yakiyama is injured, as is Jared Lorenzen. David Bell hasn't impressed me in his tenure at Cinci.  I wish I could be more optimistic but a .500 season may be a big challenge.

That's me .    I don't think I've ever rooted for the Yankees or the Dodgers in a game. If they played each other, I'd hope for a double forfeit.

I feel the same about the Dodgers. I also can't stand the Red Sox.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Btw,  Reds  lost  11-6 .

W Gallegos(1-0)
L  Castillo (0-1)

Cards'  HR:   O'Neill(1)  ,     Carlson(1)

Reds'   HR  :   Castellanos(1)  ,  Suarez(1)
4:10 PM   game time today .

Wainwright (5-3,  3.15 ERA  in 2020 )  is on the bump for the Cards and Tyler Mahle(2-2,  3.59 ERA in 2020) goes for the Redlegs.
Reds lead  9-4    mid 8th.

Reds win!   Reds win!     9- 6  .   Tomorrow will be the rubber game.
Reds routed the Cards 12-1 on Sunday to take the opening series of the season.   Nick Castellanos has been enfuego  to begin the season. He hit a three-run dinger today, his second homer in three games.  Jeff Hoffman struck out six in five innings to get the win for the Redlegs.
How dumb is that the Reds guy got suspended?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(04-05-2021, 08:16 PM)Spud6 Wrote: How dumb is that the Reds guy got suspended?

VERY dumb!  Yes, he was animated at the play at the plate and mouthed something to the catcher but then immediately backed away. I love that guy's passion!!! All he wants to do is win.

Castellanos with another homer,  giving the Reds a 3-2 lead against the Pirates in the bottom of the 7th.  Keep raking Nick!!!!
Reds won 5-3 over the Bucs last night to go to 3-1 on the season.

Trevor Cahill(1-2,3.24 ERA in 2020) takes the hill for Pittsburgh while Wade Miley (0-3, 5.65 ERA in 2020) will make his 2021 debut for the Redlegs.
Reds should be charged with molestation.   They are assaulting the Pirates 14-1  in the bottom of the 7th.

Reds  win  14-1.  Largest margin of victory over the Pirates in  26 years. Largest margin of victory over the Pirates at home in  95 years.

Reds have won four of their first five games and four straight.
Redlegs with  46 runs in 5 games . Best in  Reds' history through the first five contests .
Reds just decimate the Pirates again. Today it was 11-4.  Cincy sweeps the three-games series, outscoring the woeful Bucs  30-8 .   Reds have scored 57 runs in their first six games. That's the third most in history since 1900.

Luis Castillo with seven scoreless innings for the Redlegs today.   Reds are now 5-1 on the season.
Are the Reds going to win the World Series?
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Probably not. May not  even make the playoffs but I sure am enjoying this while it lasts. Who knows, maybe they will continue to surprise. The NL Central is a very winnable division. Hopefully, Sonny Gray will be back in the rotation in a couple of weeks. Then they will have two studs at the top of the rotation. If the other three guys in the rotation can just keep the Reds in ballgames, they will win a lot of games with the offense they have.  I really like the approach the players have at the plate so far. They are making the pitchers work more and making more contact at the plate than in previous years.  Keeping my fingers crossed. A lot better start than last year when they lost four of their first six.   GO REDS!!!
I’d have to do some research, but I seem to recall that the Reds have been horrible out of the gate in the last decade or so. Only six games into a 162 game season, but like you said it is sure nice. From no offense last year to a record start this year. Now they are going on a west coast swing, if they go .500 or better, I’ll really start to get excited.
(04-08-2021, 09:56 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: I’d have to do some research, but I seem to recall that the Reds have been horrible out of the gate in the last decade or so. Only six games into a 162 game season, but like you said it is sure nice. From no offense last year to a record start this year. Now they are going on a west coast swing, if they go .500 or better, I’ll really start to get excited.

West coast trips have traditionally been a nightmare for my Redlegs in recent decades. Hopefully, this season will be better. Like you said, Van, .500 or better on the left coast and I'll be a happy Reds' camper.
Reds leading Arizona  5-0   in the middle of the 6th inning in the desert.
The Reds blew a 5-0 lead but scored a go-ahead run in the top of the 10th inning on a RBI single by Tucker Barnhardt to win 6-5 .  Amir Garrett got in some trouble in the bottom of the 10th but induced a groundout with the bases loaded to secure the win for the Reds, who are now  6-1 on the season.