Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who takes advantage of a supplemental year?
(05-19-2021, 04:53 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: Competition in your sport beyond the legislated grace period may impact your NCAA eligibility.

There is a reason only one state did this.
(05-19-2021, 04:53 PM)16BBall Fan Wrote: I think this statement from the NCAA about the Kentucky Supplemental Year pretty much says it all. Especially the last sentence the one I made bold. I would personally would be scared to death if had a Div. 1 athlete that they would be ruled ineligible.

An Important Message for Prospective NCAA Student-Athletes from Kentucky

Students and Counselors,

As you may have seen in the news, Kentucky recently enacted a law allowing for Kentucky K-12 students to enroll in a supplemental year of schooling to retake or supplement courses taken during the 2020-21 academic year as a result of the prolonged remote instruction and barriers created by the COVID-19 pandemic. There are some important considerations related to NCAA initial eligibility for high school students evaluating this option. Additional information regarding the potential impact on NCAA certification is provided below.

• For questions about your specific situation, please work directly with your high school counselor, the athletics compliance office at the NCAA school you plan to attend and/or the NCAA customer service center (877-262-1492).

Academic Eligibility

NCAA Division I requirements:

• 16 core-course units, to be completed within four years/eight semesters from the initial start of year 9.

• Core-course 10/7 progression requirement: 10 of the 16 required core-course units (including seven units in English, math or science) must be completed before starting the seventh semester.

• On-time graduates may also complete one additional core unit within a year after graduation and before initial full-time enrollment.

• For students initially enrolling full time in college during the 2021-22 or 2022-23 academic years, additional flexibility has been provided due to COVID-19.

image.thumb.png.3ebd679ed1f4bbe6db528b08ae572f6e.png

The impact of repeating a year is highly variable depending on a student's academic class and record; however, there could be a detrimental effect on a student's ability to meet Division I core-course requirements in some circumstances. Specifically, students in the freshman or sophomore classes during 2020-21 should ensure that they have a plan to meet the Division I requirement of completing 10 core-course units before starting the seventh semester.

• Academic eligibility in NCAA Division II or III should not be impacted.

Amateurism Certification

Generally, NCAA legislation permits students to continue participating in their sport one year after their expected high school graduation date (based on four years/eight semesters after the initial start of year 9) without impacting their NCAA eligibility.

• The only shorter grace period is Division I men's and women's tennis, which permits participation for six months after the expected graduation date.

As a result, if students repeat a year of high school, they should be mindful of the potential impact on their seasons of eligibility. Participating in their sport beyond the grace period could result in losing a season(s) of eligibility. Click here for additional information regarding these rules.

Impact of a Supplemental Year

In short, we strongly advise students and families considering this path to work with their high school counselor, the athletics compliance office at the NCAA school they would like to attend and the NCAA customer service center to ensure they have the best information available as they make decisions regarding their academic future. The following information provides key points student-athletes and their families need to consider when evaluation a supplemental year.

Seniors (expected graduation 2021/actual graduation 2022): Impact of Supplemental Year

image.thumb.png.30ef6cfe845117f6c1dd75aa7d34c9e5.png

Competition in your sport beyond the legislated grace period may impact your NCAA eligibility.
Bro, STOP IT... that's too much to read and understand for these folks and their kids lol. Simplify it for them. But you are on point tho, hopefully they read up on it and understand.
Carter County schools have declined the do over year.
Only in Kentucky. No wonder KY is almost dead last in education.
Boyd Co. and Ashland Ind. have approved the SSYP.
(05-25-2021, 02:05 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Only in Kentucky.  No wonder KY is almost dead last in education.

Education is horrible in 95% of public schools now. Kentucky is by no means alone.
Saw where McCracken County had 2 who were, Hunter Bradley and Zander Mayes who were the leading rusher and leading receiver. I was surprised anyone at McCracken County would do this. If so that makes them a bigger contender in 6A than without them.
(04-29-2021, 09:15 AM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 07:39 PM)64SUR Wrote: More to come and going to be a lot of passing, rushing, tackles and interception record broken at all Highschool this year.
So you're saying that there is a possibility of another group of 'woodlawn holdback" coming back for their super senior season? Also is the QB going to move back to his home in Anderson Co or stay in the apartment that his mother "rents" in BC?  Wink
IN 1999 when BC won their first state championship they had a 5th year senior (I won't say his name). They filed an injunction in court to fight the 4 year and age rule and the KHSAA could not stop him from playing. This player was a D1 player that played at 19 years old and was an absolute difference maker in their season. So this isn't the first time things like this have happened. I just don't get how some programs (if they are cheating the system by encouraging hold backs and all that kind of stuff or recruiting/ pulling/ borrowing players from other counties that have two residences etc. or just moved because they got word they were wanted) and their fans can boast so loudly and publicly about how great their program is. Any time you put an all-star team of players from area counties together it will usually be better than the schools they got those kids from and the other opponents. That is why people debate public vs private etc. When a school can win their state championship with kids on their team that are living in an adjoining state do they really have a 'state' champion or just a well coached all-star travel team?  This is not a jab at BC or any one program. Just something to think about. It won't change anything but it's just my thoughts on how poorly the cheating is addressed in Kentucky. If I ever won a state championship I would want it by having the kids that I am supposed to have. Not by sneaking around and doing it the way some are in our state and I am sure in many states. When a QB from halfway across the country shows up because he is related to someone in the program and suddenly he is eligible etc. all rules are out the window. Or when the KHSAA doesn't want to fight the lawyer the family has due to finances etc. then what happens is politics and money rule the day. That's where we are for now.
I don’t consider having hold backs cheating. Every kid has a opportunity to play til there 19 according to the rules if parents choose not to take advantage of this it’s there fault. I know some of the better football programs have been taking advantage of this rule for years and counties like where I live are just now starting to catch up on this. Most parents now is just starting there kids in school late instead of holding back.
(05-16-2021, 11:56 AM)2000PHS Wrote: Eager to see what the strength of schedule experts opine about this one. Haha

No matter what the record is, the open week will be a welcomed event to say the least.

Well done Paintsville staff for putting together a challenging schedule.
(06-01-2021, 03:06 AM)Future Wrote: IN 1999 when BC won their first state championship they had a 5th year senior (I won't say his name). They filed an injunction in court to fight the 4 year and age rule and the KHSAA could not stop him from playing. This player was a D1 player that played at 19 years old and was an absolute difference maker in their season. So this isn't the first time things like this have happened. I just don't get how some programs (if they are cheating the system by encouraging hold backs and all that kind of stuff or recruiting/ pulling/ borrowing players from other counties that have two residences etc. or just moved because they got word they were wanted) and their fans can boast so loudly and publicly about how great their program is. Any time you put an all-star team of players from area counties together it will usually be better than the schools they got those kids from and the other opponents. That is why people debate public vs private etc. When a school can win their state championship with kids on their team that are living in an adjoining state do they really have a 'state' champion or just a well coached all-star travel team?  This is not a jab at BC or any one program. Just something to think about. It won't change anything but it's just my thoughts on how poorly the cheating is addressed in Kentucky. If I ever won a state championship I would want it by having the kids that I am supposed to have. Not by sneaking around and doing it the way some are in our state and I am sure in many states. When a QB from halfway across the country shows up because he is related to someone in the program and suddenly he is eligible etc. all rules are out the window. Or when the KHSAA doesn't want to fight the lawyer the family has due to finances etc. then what happens is politics and money rule the day. That's where we are for now.

The player you speak of tore his ACL first game of his Sr. season against Beechwood.  UL dropped his scholarship offer after the injury, and no one was interested from any other D1 schools.   He did win a court decision and was able to come back for another Sr. season and earned another scholarship to the University of Louisville with his play on the field.  This kids life was changed because of this decision.  My question to you is....In your eyes was this a bad decision?  With or without this person Boyle still would have won the State Championship that year.  

Since you brought it up.....What All Star Players did Boyle have in 99, 00, 01, 02, 03, 09, 10, and 2017 State Championships from any surrounding counties? 

I'd say if you have any proof of cheating going on at Boyle or any other school, I suggest you contact the KHSAA!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rebel55's post:
  • Bull got out!
And again my point is proven. So many fans, coaches etc will convince themselves they are in the right and justify it in their minds. So goes the hamster wheel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Future's post:
  • Gitback Coach
Did you ever consider the fact that people aren’t moving their kids because of sports but because of academics and facilities. Most of the schools you are referring to score in the top of the state year after year, Boyle Co in particular, best I remember, ranked in the top 5. It’s always the same song and dance if we had our kids from so and so we’d be able to win, when most of the time it’s all a rumor and the kid is actually going in the district they live in. It doesn’t really matter any longer, if you haven’t heard the legislature passed in March that parents can send their kids to whatever school they want, so there’s no longer any rules being broken.
Life goes on and so should student athletes.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • Gitback Coach
Braxton O'Hara will be taking advantage of the supplemental year. He transferred from Breathitt last year and played for GRC. He is transferring back to Breathitt and he will be a big contributor for the Bobcats, on both sides of the ball. Also, starting LB Ethan Gibson is returning as well.
Thought THE HOLDBACK RULE stated said you had to repeat in the school you graduated from? So how will Ohare be eligible?
(07-28-2021, 01:19 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Thought THE HOLDBACK RULE stated said you had to repeat in the school you graduated from? So how will Ohare be eligible?
I believe he transferred back to Breathitt after Christmas Break and graduated from Breathitt.
I dont think so but I may be wrong.