Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who takes advantage of a supplemental year?
How many kids does everyone think will take advantage of the supplemental year? I’m not hearing very many at Lawrence County is going to take the extra year. Just curious what others think will happen at other schools.
(03-28-2021, 11:35 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: How many kids does everyone think will take advantage of the supplemental year? I’m not hearing very many at Lawrence County is going to take the extra year. Just curious what others think will happen at other schools.
 Kind of hard to say at this point, do not think many school districts have said if they will or will not allow it yet.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • #GoCougs
I would predict a small percentage of students take advantage of this bill.
(03-28-2021, 10:15 PM)WestCarterComet Wrote: I would predict a small percentage of students take advantage of this bill.
After my senior year it would have been tough to convince me to come back for another year of high school even if I was able to have another year of sports.  I was pretty much mentally done by that point and ready to move on with my life.  Some may not have that mindset but I would say most would.
I agree that it'll probably be a very small percentage. Maybe a kid here or there that is looking for a college offer that hasn't come in yet, maybe kids that are newer to the game and need another year of experience & tape to get the college exposure. Other than that, I don't see the point.
I think some will, especially baseball and softball players that lost last season. But a lot of athletes around here have been held back and will be 19 before their senior year, so a lot that probably would can't.
Wonder how many kids come back for football and as soon as the season is over they drop out of school?
Who doesn't like a free "holdback" year? That's a common practice for some programs around here #sarcastic. They will definitely take advantage of this.
Expect a huge announcement any time on some key players coming back.
Not sure how many will do so now that the ruling by the NCAA that they will not recognize any grades or scores from students who use this that the will only take the original 4 years. The KHSAA had a video conference to provide this info to schools before the May 1 deadline. Plus kids who already had college interest why would they risk a injury and maybe knock them out of a chance to play college ball and get a free education.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 16BBall Fan's post:
  • A Tribe Called Quest
I am hearing Franklin County will have a few.
(04-28-2021, 09:50 AM)FCSPY Wrote: I am hearing Franklin County will have a few.

Wondering if any was coming back.
(03-28-2021, 11:35 AM)fewfirstchoice Wrote: How many kids does everyone think will take advantage of the supplemental year? I’m not hearing very many at Lawrence County is going to take the extra year. Just curious what others think will happen at other schools.
I liked the rule at first, because I didn't think many would even do it, but I have talked to about 5 coaches and they all have 6-7 doing it Seniors that is, you almost have to put an asterisk by next season its going to be crazy and kind of unfair in my opinion. Just feel for the kids who were thinking they were going to finally see the field/court this year. Just my thoughts.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Big Daddy Bull's post:
  • Iggyfan
Isaac Dixon from Belfry.
(04-28-2021, 05:24 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Isaac Dixon from Belfry.

I like Dixon.
(04-28-2021, 05:44 PM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 05:24 PM)jamesclay Wrote: Isaac Dixon from Belfry.

I like Dixon.

Dixon is a great kid.  Gonna by pass the PWO offer from WVU and use next year to get better...physically and mentally.   Like I say....for some kids...this is a great opportunity.  Any school would be proud to have Isaac as a student athlete.  Just a tremendous young man.
[-] The following 1 user Likes OutlawJoseyWales's post:
  • Bull got out!
More to come and going to be a lot of passing, rushing, tackles and interception record broken at all Highschool this year.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • Bull got out!
Don’t like the rule.

Hope Dixon can take advantage of it.

Still don’t like it.
Is the 19 year old age rule still in place?
Jagger Gillis from Boyle County is planning to return according to Twitter. I think he was a senior coming back for a second senior season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamesclay's post:
  • 64SUR
(04-28-2021, 08:55 PM)Oleballcoach Wrote: Is the 19 year old age rule still in place?

Yes
(04-28-2021, 07:39 PM)64SUR Wrote: More to come and going to be a lot of passing, rushing, tackles and interception record broken at all Highschool this year.
So you're saying that there is a possibility of another group of 'woodlawn holdback" coming back for their super senior season? Also is the QB going to move back to his home in Anderson Co or stay in the apartment that his mother "rents" in BC?  Wink
Always with the BC digs. Grow up dude. I don't think any of them should be allowed another year. I think it's a mistake.
Gillis is a Rebel through and through
(04-29-2021, 10:31 AM)olreb Wrote: Gillis is a Rebel through and through
This is an honest question... With these super/ extra year seniors coming back, what do they have to proved? I mean this class of 2021 have won 2 state championship (2017, 2020) state runner- up in 2019 and played almost a full season last year. So what is there to gain or prove? And #9 QB is a rebel through and through?
(04-29-2021, 10:38 AM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:
This is an honest question... With these super/ extra year seniors coming back, what do they have to proved? I mean this class of 2021 have won 2 state championship (2017, 2020) state runner- up in 2019 and played almost a full season last year. So what is there to gain or prove? And #9 QB is a rebel through and through?

I’d call him pure Rebel through and through! I watched him perform in that championship game last year. I work with a few people that lives in Anderson County. I showed them the newspaper front page material when Jagger transferred last year. No doubt I was keeping up with it since Haddix had went to Boyle.  They were telling me how talented he was. Also nothing but support for him as well. I have no problem with the kid doing what he did. I guess it’s a good thing I’m not commissioner. I think anyone should be able to go to school where they want to. Sports or no sports. I love the extra year. No different than staying back earlier in your career. Some kids didn’t know about a age rule and some parents take advantage of it earlier. Good luck to all the Super Seniors if that’s what you want to call them.
(04-29-2021, 10:49 AM)Bull got out! Wrote:
(04-29-2021, 10:38 AM)A Tribe Called Quest Wrote:

I’d call him pure Rebel through and through! I watched him perform in that championship game last year. I work with a few people that lives in Anderson County. I showed them the newspaper front page material when Jagger transferred last year. No doubt I was keeping up with it since Haddix had went to Boyle.  They were telling me how talented he was. Also nothing but support for him as well. I have no problem with the kid doing what he did. I guess it’s a good thing I’m not commissioner. I think anyone should be able to go to school where they want to. Sports or no sports. I love the extra year. No different than staying back earlier in your career. Some kids didn’t know about a age rule and some parents take advantage of it earlier. Good luck to all the Super Seniors if that’s what you want to call them.
Thx for the clarification, but I still didn't get any explanation on why these super senior would want to come back. I have shown all their accolade, so what is left to prove? (Al Bundy/ Polk High syndrome) lol. 5th yr grading and scores, I believe won't count into college entry (I could be wrong on that).    
I've yet to see a kid be against it. Seems the only gripe is from adults.
(04-29-2021, 11:38 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: I've yet to see a kid be against it. Seems the only gripe is from adults.

I’m really shocked. I ratchet jaw all day long at work on the construction jobs I’m at and see people from all over Kentucky. I haven’t ran into one person who didn’t say “ they would be crazy if they didn’t come back if they could “. That’s how I feel about it. You get on these forums and it’s shocking to see how many doesn’t like it. In reality, it’s all about the kids age anyways. Funny thing is, most the kids that will comeback are just kids who hasn’t stayed back like the rest that already have. I guess it’s acceptable if it’s in grade school.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • FootballFan1999
Only takes a shortened covid year to become a rebel! Lol