Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Let's Say You're Stranded on an Island With Hoot Gibson...And U Can Have Any 5 Albums
I had this nightmare last night that Hoot and I were the only inhabitants on some remote island and all the sum beach wanted to talk with me about was Joe and Hunter Biden and something about Chinese pedophiles .   So, after I awoke and  overcame over my fright , it got me to thinking ... what if I was stranded on an island all alone or with someone like Ted Cruz and my only solace was that I could have something to play music  and any 5 albums(CD's) that I wanted.   What albums would I choose?

So, I ask that of you, music fans, that same question:  if you were stranded on an island, thousands of miles from nowhere, but you could choose any 5 albums to play, what five would you choose???
I literally couldn’t name 5 albums lol
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(03-22-2021, 02:34 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I had this nightmare last night that Hoot and I were the only inhabitants on some remote island and all the sum beach wanted to talk with me about was Joe and Hunter Biden and something about Chinese pedophiles .   So, after I awoke and  overcame over my fright , it got me to thinking ... what if I was stranded on an island all alone or with someone like Ted Cruz and my only solace was that I could have something to play music  and any 5 albums(CD's) that I wanted.   What albums would I choose?

So, I ask that of you, music fans, that same question:  if you were stranded on an island, thousands of miles from nowhere, but you could choose any 5 albums to play, what five would you choose???

I'll  name my five albums one at a time. One album that I would definitely want with me is Boston's  self-titled debut album.

There's not a bad song on the album.  Even just casual music fans will recognize many of these songs:

1.  More Than a Feeling

2.  Peace of Mind

3. Foreplay/Longtime

4.  Rock & Roll Band

5. Smokin'

6. Hitch a Ride

7.  Something About You

8. Let Me Take You Home Tonight

Eight terrific tunes. It's virtually a greatest hits album that's not a greatest hits album. Great seventies rock & roll.
I think we have a personal connection to our very favorites albums. They take us back to a special time in our lives and allow us to relive some very powerful emotions that we experienced at that time.

Another one of my albums would have to be one that was released my freshman year in college and did I ever wear that sum b!tch  out. I think I've gone through three or four copies of this album.   A few years back , this album was certified "Diamond," for surpassing ten million albums sold . It went on to spend  15 weeks at #1 on the Billboard 200.  Again, there's not a bad song on the album.

Kevin Cronin ,  Gary Richrath & the boys from Champaign, Illinois with their mega- hit album " HI- INFIDELITY" :

1.  Don't Let Him Go

2.  Keep on Loving You

3.   Follow My Heart

4.   In Your Letter

5.   Take It on the Run

6.   Tough Guys

7.   Out of Season

8.   Shakin'  It Loose

9.   Someone Tonight

10. I  Wish You Were There

She doesn't like the tough guys

She said that they've got brains all where they sit

They think they're full of fire

She thinks they're full of sh!t

I knew the Boston debut album would be your first pick! But you are so right, the albums of our youth for our age group meant so much. The generations behind us are just about the song of the moment, not an entire album. But the albums are so often where the best songs are, deep cuts that don't get on the radio, but are better than so much that does.

Anyway, after that rant, here are my five off the top of my head. I was tempted to go for double albums just to have more content, or greatest hits albums, but I'll stick with the ones I would definitely want to have with me that were stand alone works. These are in no particular order.

1. Back in Black-AC/DC. We all thought they were done after Bon Scott passed. Then we heard this album. We were wrong.
2. Appetite for Destruction-Guns 'n' Roses. My favorite debut album. Not just the three songs everyone knows, but other classics like "Mr. Brownstone" and "Night Train". I've said before, if Axl hadn't gone coo-coo, they would have wound up being the greatest American rock band ever.
3. Live Bullet-Bob Seger. Clean and clear and just the best live album ever in my book. "Travellin Man/Beautiful Loser" is just as good as it gets.
4. 1999-Prince. For when I'm feeling like dancing on the island. All kinds of hits, but again some deeper cuts that are fantastic, like "Let's Pretend We're Married" and DMSR (Dance, Music, Sex, Romance). This one would make me wish Carrie Underwood was on the island with me.
5. At Folsom Prison-Johnny Cash-Gotta have a little country, and this is as good as it gets. A live album, and Johnny was a real scoundrel, loved it.
If you were a Fleetwood Mac fan in the 70's , you have to include one of the biggest selling albums of all time.

Released early in 1977, this album  hit #1  in April  and spent an INSANE   31 weeks  in the #1   spot .   Late last year, after more than 42 years, this album again made it back into the top 10.   Rolling Stone  listed it as the 7th greatest rock album of all-time in its list of the 500 greatest rock albums .  If Hoot was within earshot of me on that island , he would have to ilisten to a lot of RUMORS  :

1.   Second Hand News

2. Dreams

3. Never Going Back Again

4.. Don't Stop

5. Go Your Own Way

6. Songbird

7. The Chain

8. You Make Loving Fun

9. I Don't Want to  Know

10. Oh Daddy

11. Gold Dust Woman

The band members were doing a lot of fighting amongst themselves during the birth of the album. Breakups and breakdowns sometimes make for really good music.  Wonder who Buckingham was talking about here:

One thing I think you should know
I ain't gonna miss you when you go
Been down so long
I've been tossed around enough
Aww, couldn't you just
Let me go down and do my stuff

I know you're hopin' to find
Someone who's gonna give you peace of mind
When times go bad
When times go rough
Won't you lay me down in tall grass
And let me do my stuff

Do it, do it, do it
I'm just second hand news

For my next album , I'm  going with one that has some personal meaning. It takes me back to a special time in my life when I was transitioning from adolescent to adult and with all of those emotions that go along with that. This album has incredible lyrics and gorgeous music , performed and written by a man in his twenties with an incredible vocal  instrument and spirit much older than someone in their twenties.  If you ever have an extra 45 minutes to spare, go on you tube and play the whole album through from beginning to end and see if it doesn't make you reflect on life, love, and the universe. Some of the songs, while  very beautiful,  make me sad , as I contemplate loves lost , the end of innocence, youth, and all that is irretrievable and irreconcilable.

DAN FOGELBERG -    SOUVENIRS

Side  1

1.  Part of the Plan 

2. Changing Horses

3. Illinois

4.  Better Change

5. Souvenirs

6. The Long Way

Side  2

1.  As the Raven Flies

2. Song from Half Mountain

3. Morning Sky

4. (Someone's Been) Telling You Stories

5.  There's a Place in the World  For a Gambler
Good choices! Mine are some of the same:
1 - Rumours
2 - Live Bullet
3 - Boston
4 - Frampton Comes Alive
5 - Book of Dreams by Steve Miller Band. Loved every song and have owned the vinyl, 8-track, cassette and CD over the years lol...
If I was going to be stranded on an island, I would want it to be with jetpilot!!

Blush Sick YouRock
[-] The following 2 users Like Granny Bear's post:
  • jetpilot, Old School Hound
(03-24-2021, 09:19 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: If I was going to be stranded on an island, I would want it to be with jetpilot!!

Blush Sick YouRock

Good point, Granny.   Hoot's Parlor account wouldn't be as helpful. Smile

How do you release a double album that goes multi-platinum, breaks the Top 5, spawns multiple hit singles and spends months in the Top 40 while still being widely regarded as an artistic folly and a flop? Ask Fleetwood Mac. After all, that's exactly what they did with 1979's Tusk.

Tusk , FM's follow-up to Rumors , didn't achieve anywhere near the commercial success of its legendary predecessor. But how do you follow one of the best rock albums of all time?  Personally, I LOVE Heart  this album.   Tusk is a double album(20 songs I believe) that has Buckingham's imprint all over it.  The album really displays Lindsey's creativity and willingness to take risks and go a different direction from the hugely successful Rumors . Some derisively called Tusk "Lindsey's Folly." I call it Lindsey's masterpiece. There is some brilliant work on here from the trio of Christine McVey,  Stevie Nicks, and the aforementioned, Buckingham. You have McVey's smooth as silk vocals on "Over & Over,"  "Brown Eyes." or  "Honey Hi,"   and  Nicks' haunting and sad  "Storms,"  and "Beautiful Child,"   and ,  if you want radio-friendly moments there are six released singles, including the top 10 title track, along with "Sara"(peaked at #7) , and "Think About Me"(peaked at #20).  This is a terrific album that I would have to have on my island.
I know I said  five albums, but I'm going to have to sneak a 6th CD in my shorts and hope that Hoot doesn't find out. He would probably call me a lyin', cheatin' liberal for doing so but I have to include an EJ  album .   Reginald Kenneth Dwight, known to all of us as Elton John, has been one of th biggest sources of my musical listening pleasure for fifty years. I have seen more EJ shows than any other artist.  Which EJ album would I have with me on the island?   With  30 studio albums , 5 live albums , 18 compilation albums , and 7 soundtrack albums, there is a plethora of choices.  Since I can't go with a greatest hits album, per island rules, I am going with the 3Xplatinum sixth studio  release from January of '73 :

*** DON'T SHOOT ME I'M ONLY THE PIANO PLAYER ****

1.  Daniel

2.   Teacher I Need You

3.    Elderberry Wine

4.    Blues for My Baby and Me

5.    Midnight Creeper

6.     Have Mercy on the Criminal

7.     I'm Gonna be a Teenage Idol

8.      Texan Love Song

9.      Crocodile Rock

10.      High Flying Bird

*  a 1995  reissue of this album also included four bonus tracks, including the beautiful "Skyline Pigeon."

There are six songs on this album that I REALLY like- the first four  and the last two on .   Two of my all-time favorite EJ songs are on this album- "Blues for My Baby & Me"   and "High Flying Bird."

Here's the sad but beautiful "Blues for My Baby& Me,"  featuring one of the most beautiful women that ever lived on this planet:

(03-24-2021, 09:19 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: If I was going to be stranded on an island, I would want it to be with jetpilot!!

Blush Sick YouRock
Awwww, what a sweetheart! I wish I could like this 1000 times!