Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Damned Good Rock Song Not Heard in Decades - Help Me Out !
In this thread, I want to see if you can add to my playlist. I'm looking for some good rock tunes that I've not heard in a couple or three decades or more.  You know, just a great old rock song that's kinda gotten lost in the shuffle and doesn't get played  by our music sources or just an oldie that you had forgotten about but maybe heard recently for the first time in forever.  I'm wanting songs that make me say, "damned, that was a kick ass rock tune!"  Gimme a song that had a sound that just oozed the era from which it came and bonus points if it had some kick ass lyrics as well. My favorite decades for music were the 70's and  80's , so I'm especially looking for some stuff from those eras.

I'll start and you guys can  add to it. Tell me whether you give this song from 1982(Damn, almost forty years ago) a thumbs up or thumbs down. I hadn't heard this one for decades until I found it on you tube a few days ago.  Tell me what you think.  Doesn't this one immediately take you back to the eighties?

Is it just me or does it  remind you of Foreigner, only better?    Joe Lynn Turner  was an awesome  rock vocalist.   Come on,  you four or five guys that participate in these threads are my music critics.  I trust that you can give me some kick a$$ forgotten oldies to listen to this summer.

Every night i have the same old dream
'Bout you and me and what's in between
So many changes, so many lies
Try to run, try to hide
From everything that i feel inside
But i can't escape you or your frozen eyes...
Searching in the darkness
Fading out of sight
Love was here and gone like a thief in the night...
Stone cold...

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...g&usqp=CAU]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
I hadn’t heard that one in a while, would be right at home on a Foreigner record. Here’s a funky rocker from Aerosmith ‘Movin Out
[-] The following 1 user Likes vector#1's post:
  • jetpilot
I really enjoyed listening to Dire Straits when I was at UK but I tend to forget about them when I put together play lists. They cranked out some great albums but they also took some long breaks from touring and between album releases.

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin,' and your chicks for free
Now that ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We got to install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators
We got to move these color TVs

[Video: ]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jetpilot

https://youtu.be/eyZSWk-7zW0?list=PL22ye...kPRvj_DuaC
Hoot, if you were like me when you were at UK, you had your radio tuned to QQ 24/7. And this song from Red Rider was on heavy rotation.

And OCH, ‘Travellin’ Man’ is my absolute all-time favorite Seger song, which is saying a lot, because there is almost nothing of his I don’t love,
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-20-2021, 06:56 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Hoot, if you were like me when you were at UK, you had your radio tuned to QQ 24/7. And this song from Red Rider was on heavy rotation.

And OCH, ‘Travellin’ Man’ is my absolute all-time favorite Seger song, which is saying a lot, because there is almost nothing of his I don’t love,
I don't remember tuning to anything but QQ when I was in college. I thought that QQ had switched to a country format at one point, so I looked it up. I found that the station was forced to switch frequencies, so I must have tuned into the old frequency, which was 98.1.

When I was researching the history of the station, I ran across a QQ interview with Kruser that must have been done when he joined the station. If you remember campus parking the way that I do, you may appreciate this Q & A:

QQ: Did you go to UK?

KRUSER: I tried, but I couldn't find a place to park, so I went to the University of Dayton.
Yeah 98.1 became the Bull, Lexington’s big country station. QQ went to 100.1 I believe. And yeah UK parking, OMG. Park at Commonwealth and ride the campus buses. And I got towed once from in front of Haggin, and I couldn’t have been gone more than 10 minutes.

Here’s a great oldie from ZZ Top, ‘Balinese’

(03-20-2021, 04:08 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: In this thread, I want to see if you can add to my playlist. I'm looking for some good rock tunes that I've not heard in a couple or three decades or more.  You know, just a great old rock song that's kinda gotten lost in the shuffle and doesn't get played  by our music sources or just an oldie that you had forgotten about but maybe heard recently for the first time in forever.  I'm wanting songs that make me say, "damned, that was a kick ass rock tune!"  Gimme a song that had a sound that just oozed the era from which it came and bonus points if it had some kick ass lyrics as well. My favorite decades for music were the 70's and  80's , so I'm especially looking for some stuff from those eras.

I'll start and you guys can  add to it. Tell me whether you give this song from 1982(Damn, almost forty years ago) a thumbs up or thumbs down. I hadn't heard this one for decades until I found it on you tube a few days ago.  Tell me what you think.  Doesn't this one immediately take you back to the eighties?

Is it just me or does it  remind you of Foreigner, only better?    Joe Lynn Turner  was an awesome  rock vocalist.   Come on,  you four or five guys that participate in these threads are my music critics.  I trust that you can give me some kick a$$ forgotten oldies to listen to this summer.

Try to run, try to hide
Fading out of sight
Stone cold...

LOL I love that song and I just happened to be reading about the Rainbow Bar in West Hollywood last night and it was claimed Rainbow (the band) was named after that bar...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rainbow_Bar_and_Grill
(03-20-2021, 06:16 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I really enjoyed listening to Dire Straits when I was at UK but I tend to forget about them when I put together play lists. They cranked out some great albums but they also took some long breaks from touring and between album releases.

Now look at them yo-yo's, that's the way you do it
You play the guitar on the MTV
That ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Money for nothin,' and your chicks for free
Now that ain't workin', that's the way you do it
Lemme tell ya, them guys ain't dumb
Maybe get a blister on your little finger
Maybe get a blister on your thumb

We got to install microwave ovens
Custom kitchen deliveries
We got to move these refrigerators
We got to move these color TVs

[Video: ]

Dire Straits is definitely all time classic...and Mark Knopfler is one one the most underrated guitarists ever.
I appreciate all the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.  I miss those carefree times in the seventies and early eighties playing pick up games in the neighborhood and listening to all that good rock music  When I was living in Richmond and going to EKU ,  WKQQ was one of my go-to stations for rock.  Here in SE KY in the mid-seventies to early eighties, our go-to station was WOKI  Knoxville-Oak Ridge.  

Here's one that I still listen to several times a year and I've mentioned this one before but it's just such a darn good one. I wish I had a nickel for every time I cruised around town with this one blasting. One of the great songs to listen to while in the driver's seat.  

Oh, and there's some great cars in this video I thought you might enjoy as well . All us old guys like our fast cars .  Heart       Cool 

^^^Love that OSH

You will appreciate this one, and here is the top comment:

This album, headphones, lava lamp, my led zeppelin black light poster, four finger lid of weed for $10.00, in a time when cops would just make you pour out your beer and sex couldn't kill you.

And I know I don't have to tell you it's Sammy Hagar on vocals.
(03-20-2021, 11:13 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 04:08 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: In this thread, I want to see if you can add to my playlist. I'm looking for some good rock tunes that I've not heard in a couple or three decades or more.  You know, just a great old rock song that's kinda gotten lost in the shuffle and doesn't get played  by our music sources or just an oldie that you had forgotten about but maybe heard recently for the first time in forever.  I'm wanting songs that make me say, "damned, that was a kick ass rock tune!"  Gimme a song that had a sound that just oozed the era from which it came and bonus points if it had some kick ass lyrics as well. My favorite decades for music were the 70's and  80's , so I'm especially looking for some stuff from those eras.

Try to run, try to hide
Fading out of sight
Stone cold...

LOL I love that song and I just happened to be reading about the Rainbow Bar in West Hollywood last night and it was claimed Rainbow (the band) was named after that bar...

I thought you might like that one as well as I do.    Does it put you mind of Foreigner?
(03-21-2021, 12:07 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Try to run, try to hide
Fading out of sight
Stone cold...

I thought you might like that one as well as I do.    Does it put you mind of Foreigner?
I like Foreigner yes but I like Stone Cold better than Foreigner...my favorite Foreigner songs are actually their slow songs...maybe that belongs on the can't believe I like thread lol...

(03-21-2021, 12:19 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-21-2021, 12:07 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Try to run, try to hide
Fading out of sight
Stone cold...

I like Foreigner yes but I like Stone Cold better than Foreigner...my favorite Foreigner songs are actually their slow songs...maybe that belongs on the can't believe I like thread lol...

I agree with you. I like "Stone Cold"  better than any of Foreigner's songs.

This dude was the essence of SMOOTH ... easy listening at its best, whether you're listening from Baker Street or Main St.

[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, jetpilot
(03-20-2021, 11:43 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Love that OSH

You will appreciate this one, and here is the top comment:

This album, headphones, lava lamp, my led zeppelin black light poster, four finger lid of weed for $10.00, in a time when cops would just make you pour out your beer and sex couldn't kill you.

And I know I don't have to tell you it's Sammy Hagar on vocals.

Ah, Montrose. Ronnie Montrose great on guitar and Sammy as a young pup. Here is my favorite from them, one Sammy usually still does in concert.

Or this one, another classic.

Sammy has put on a few pounds since those days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
I GOT TO GOT TO HAVE YOU! Cannot believe this is 45 years old.

50   years ago   !!!!!

• jetpilot
I used to go to high school with a guy by the name of Dan Steely and listen to a band by the name of  Steely Dan:

Like 2 great songs in one

[-] The following 1 user Likes jetpilot's post:
  • Old School Hound
Right back at you, Jetson .

[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot, Van Hagar
tag, you're it

laurierken
4 years ago
I don't always listen to Zeppelin, but when I do, my neighbors do also.

A fantastic ZZ TOP song, one of their best.

And a hidden gem from my boy Sammy that you didn’t hear on the radio.

If you ask me there is a severe shortage of bagpipes in today's rock music .   lol     Thanks, Bon.

(03-28-2021, 11:05 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I used to go to high school with a guy by the name of Dan Steely and listen to a band by the name of  Steely Dan:

So in the phone book he is listed as Steely Dan.
(04-04-2021, 09:07 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-28-2021, 11:05 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: I used to go to high school with a guy by the name of Dan Steely and listen to a band by the name of  Steely Dan:

So in the phone book he is listed as Steely Dan.

Indeed .    And if I ever lose his number, that's the first place I'll look.   Smile 

• jetpilot
Here’s a dandy little rocker I’ll bet you’ve not heard in a while, from an underrated group, the Baby’s. John Waite is a damn good singer.