Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Gonzaga Among the Nation's Elite Basketball PROGRAMS ?
Are the Zags now one of the handful of elite college basketball programs?   I'm talking right there with  UK , Duke, Kansas,  UNC . 

I feel like this is pretty much a rhetorical question but let me make my case anyway.  Early on under Mark Few , Gonzaga was viewed as little more than a Cinderella invited to participate in what would inevitably be yet another coronation of one of basketball's bluebloods. But now as an established perennial powerhouse. the Zags deserve to be ranked among the nation's best programs. Here's my exhibits:

1. They recruit .  If you look at their 2020 class, they had three 4 star guys and one 5 star guy(Suggs). ESPN rated their 2020 class at #7. Plus, they always seem to bring  in some quality guys from overseas who can contribute.

2.  They  can coach .  What Mark Few has done there over the past 22 years has been amazing. He has won  83.4%  of his games in those 22 seasons and 91%  of his conference games over that span. Over the past five seasons, Few has a 92.4% winning percentage. Over the past nine seasons, he has won at a  91.8%  clip overall.

3.  Over the past five seasons, the Zags  are  18-7 against Top 25 teams, including wins over  Duke ,  Kansas,  Ohio St. , Arizona(twice) ,  Florida St. , West Virginia(twice),  Virginia ,  and  Iowa. This season they have beaten  their ranked opponents by an average of  13 ppg.

4.  In 4 of the last 8 NCAA tournaments, they have entered the tournament as a #1 seed ; this year, the #1 overall seed. They would have been a #1 seed last season had the tournament been held.

5.  They have made the NCAA Tournament in every season under Few( 21 for 21) ;  they have made  6 Sweet Sixteen's , 2  Elite Eight's , and  1  National Runner-up.  They are the consensus pick to win it all this year.

6.  In six of the past nine seasons they have won 30 or more games( in the other three they won 29, 28 and 26 in this COVID-shortened season)

7. Under Few, they have had  21 players go on to play in the NBA ;  8 first-round draft picks

8.  Over the last five seasons , they have a 159 - 13  record(18-7 against top 25)  and have lost only 3 conference games over that span ( 80-3 record in conference).

Do you agree with me that Gonzaga is one of the truly elite basketball programs in the country and not just a good program that plays in a weak

conference?   Let's face it,  UK  ,  U of L  ,   Duke , and UNC   were a collective  embarrassment this season.  Kansas is not that great(Gonzaga 

hung 102 on them) and storied programs  UCLA  and Michigan St. played in a First four game in this year's tourney.

Any comments,  criticisms  ?   I look forward to hearing your thoughts.
If they win a national championship. Yes

They have to win one before I consider them elite.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Gonzaga reminds me of the Jerry Tarkanian UNLV teams. They are big boys playing in a mid level conference. I believe when Mark Few leaves Gonzaga will fall back into mediocrity much like UNLV did when Tarkanian left.
To answer your question, yes, but only until Few leaves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jarons's post:
  • Van Hagar
I believe that it takes more than one NCAA Championship for a program to be considered elite. Gonzaga has a very good program but they have a history of under achievement, IMO.
Zaga has to win it all this year before we even bring them into this conversation.
(03-20-2021, 03:31 PM)Jarons Wrote: Gonzaga reminds me of the Jerry Tarkanian UNLV teams. They are big boys playing in a mid level conference. I believe when Mark Few leaves Gonzaga will fall back into mediocrity much like UNLV did when Tarkanian left.

I agree!!  Am I remembering correctly?  Did Tarkanian chew on rolled up towels when he got anxious?
(03-31-2021, 10:07 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(03-20-2021, 03:31 PM)Jarons Wrote: Gonzaga reminds me of the Jerry Tarkanian UNLV teams. They are big boys playing in a mid level conference. I believe when Mark Few leaves Gonzaga will fall back into mediocrity much like UNLV did when Tarkanian left.

I agree!!  Am I remembering correctly?  Did Tarkanian chew on rolled up towels when he got anxious?

Indeed he did.

(03-31-2021, 10:52 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 10:07 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:

Indeed he did.

Granny, what do you chew on when you get anxious?
Jerry Tarkanian was the John Calipari of his time. He was a great recruiter and a mediocre coach - even more mediocre than Calipari. Tarkanian recruited many players who had no interest in earning a degree under the guise of giving them a second chance.  Tark's NBA coaching career lasted 20 games before he was fired. Tarkanian always reminded me of Abe Vigoda.
I saw a list of greatest coaches back a few years ago that ranked Tark 9th greatest of all-time behind guys like Wooden, Coach  K,  Dean Smith  ,  Rupp, Knight,  Iba,  and Phog Allen. Many forget that Tark the Shark had nearly 500 coaching wins at schools OTHER than UNLV. He's not only the all-time winningest coach at Vegas but also at Long Beach St.  He won something like 65% of games in his career that were decided by six points or less. To me, winning close games is one indicator of someone who knows how to coach.
Article written prior to this year's NCAA tournament making the case that Gonzaga is best program in college basketball.  

https://www.theringer.com/2021/3/18/2233...sformation

Eleven of the top 12 scorers on this season's  Zags' roster were 4 or 5 stars guys according to 247Sports.  Also, if I'm not mistaken, they may well be adding two of the top five players in the country for next season.   Is the current Gonzaga program better than UK's?
I hope Zaga gets rolled Monday night. I am not a fan.
(04-04-2021, 02:13 AM)Westside Wrote: I hope Zaga gets rolled Monday night.  I am not a fan.
Boooooooooooooo
Elite is a term that plenty of people like to gatekeep and make up their own little rules for.

Gonzaga has grown to become a perennial top 5 team.
I'm so tired of the arguments about their conference and the schedule. They basically play the toughest schedule in the country until conference play starts.
They're a small school without a football program and the big conferences don't want them.
Let's just win this tonight so the haters will find something else to complain about.
(04-05-2021, 04:02 PM)zaga_fan Wrote: Elite is a term that plenty of people like to gatekeep and make up their own little rules for.

Gonzaga has grown to become a perennial top 5 team.
I'm so tired of the arguments about their conference and the schedule. They basically play the toughest schedule in the country until conference play starts.
They're a small school without a football program and the big conferences don't want them.
Let's just win this tonight so the haters will find something else to complain about.

Definitely no hater here. I love the Zags. Elite...?   After tonight, there should be no doubt.  Bring it home , Mr. Timme!!!
Zags are a Top 20 program. They however are not a Blue Blood or Elite.
I think since huskies and ducks have gotten better that area has gotten stronger in general. now if they can only join conferences and move san diego south things would make sense. PAC-12 is a mess. UNLV for Utah switch?
(07-05-2021, 05:30 AM)BakedJeff18 Wrote: I think since huskies and ducks have gotten better that area has gotten stronger in general. now if they can only join conferences and move san diego south things would make sense. PAC-12 is a mess. UNLV for Utah switch?

generally overrated imo. they dont play the basketball of teams with high SOS