Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Guilty pleasure movies
Sorta hate to start another thread while we are on fire with the music ones, but mentioning ‘Boogie Nights’ in one of the music threads got me thinking about movies that we love that maybe weren’t always loved by the critics. They usually don’t know crap anyway. So what movie or movies do it for you, you’ll stop and watch almost any time it’s on the air?

I’ll start with my all-time favorite, the best action movie ever——‘Point Break.’ I mean my goodness. Patrick Swayze. Keanu Reeves. Gary Busey. Anthony Kiedis and Flea from the Chili Peppers as surf punks. The greatest skydiving scenes ever. ‘Special Agent Utah”.  Just perfection.  And I’m the straightest guy in the world, but I always had a bro-crush on Patrick Swayze, he just oozed cool out of every pore of his body.
I am not a big fan of Hollywood or the movies that ît produces. I đo like movies that plow new ground i instead of recycling the same old plots.

1. Office Space - Anybody who works in or has ever worked in a cubical has no excuse for having never watched this movie at least once. I notice something new every time I watch it. In fact, most people who have ever had a job will enjoy it.

2. Wag the Dog - The đefinitive political satire. When it was released, most people assumed that its target was the Clinton administration but if you follow politics, you will have no trouble finding scenes that remind you of whatever administration you disliked the most.

3. What About Bob? - One of two  Bill Murray movies to make my short list. Richard Dreyfuss was also great in this one.

4. Groundhog Day - Bill Murray movie #2.

5. My Cousin Vinny - Any movie with Joe Pesci can't be bad but Fred Gwynne and Marissa Tomei were also great.

6.  O Brother Where Art Thou? - I'm not a fan of George Clooney or his politics but he was born to play the role of Everett in this movie. The rest of the cast and the music were great as well.
(03-13-2021, 08:14 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: Sorta hate to start another thread while we are on fire with the music ones, but mentioning ‘Boogie Nights’ in one of the music threads got me thinking about movies that we love that maybe weren’t always loved by the critics. They usually don’t know crap anyway. So what movie or movies do it for you, you’ll stop and watch almost any time it’s on the air?

I’ll start with my all-time favorite, the best action movie ever——‘Point Break.’ I mean my goodness. Patrick Swayze. Keanu Reeves. Gary Busey. Anthony Kiedis and Flea from the Chili Peppers as surf punks. The greatest skydiving scenes ever. ‘Special Agent Utah”.  Just perfection.  And I’m the straightest guy in the world, but I always had a bro-crush on Patrick Swayze, he just oozed cool out of every pore of his body.

I agree about Swayze. No matter the role... cool dude. The guy even tried his hand at singing and had a hit song.   Plus,  he was in one of my favorite SNL skits of all time.

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...A&usqp=CAU]
I wouldn't call these movies guilty pleasure. I am not a fan of a lot of movies but I am definitely loyal to these few movies
1. Back to the Future- Absolutely my favorite movie of all time. I have seen this movie hundreds of times maybe a thousand no exaggeration. Every time I see this movie I notice something that I had never noticed before. Parts two and three are good. Not nearly as good as the original. Coolest thing is my oldest son loves this movie as much as me.
2. My Cousin Vinny- I watch it every time I come across it. One of the funniest movies I ever seen.
3. Wayne's World- Loved the skit on SNL. I was 16 when it came out, it takes me back to a time when I was young and stupid. It brings back many memories.
4. Schindler's List- Not the happiest of movies, something about it that draws my attention.
5. Shawshank Redemption- Same reason as Shindler's List.
6. The Sandlot- How can you not like a movie about kids playing baseball?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Like Jarons , I'm not a huge movie watcher. I do like a lot of the classic movies from way back.

However,  as far as movies that maybe critics or a lot of people panned,  I like" Fast Times at Ridgemont High"(takes me back to HS and all the silliness and drama of those days). I mean, Phoebe Cates and Jennifer Jason Leigh is worth the 90 minutes spent watching.

I also like the 80's movie  "Bad Boys" with Sean Penn .  Also, I will watch  the original "Vacation"  as well as  "Christmas Vacation" anytime they are on TV.  And I will watch "Dumb and Dumber" every time it's on.

I like Fast Times, but the movie that always, always takes me back to my teenage years is ‘Dazed and Confused.’ The music, the partying, the urge to get out of your small town, it was like Texas had been transported to eastern Kentucky.
(03-13-2021, 08:48 PM)Jarons Wrote: I wouldn't call these movies guilty pleasure.  I am not a fan of a lot of movies but I am definitely loyal to these few movies
1. Back to the Future- Absolutely my favorite movie of all time.  I have seen this movie hundreds of times maybe a thousand no exaggeration. Every time I see this movie I notice something that I had never noticed before. Parts two and three are good. Not nearly as good as the original. Coolest thing is my oldest son loves this movie as much as me.
2. My Cousin Vinny- I watch it every time I come across it.  One of the funniest movies I ever seen.
3. Wayne's World- Loved the skit on SNL. I was 16 when it came out, it takes me back to a time when I was young and stupid.  It brings back many memories.
4. Schindler's List- Not the happiest of movies, something about it that draws my attention.
5. Shawshank Redemption- Same reason as  Shindler's List.
6. The Sandlot- How can you not like a movie about kids playing baseball?
Wow, my favorite movie also. Really just the perfect movie in every way. Literally every single minute is pure joy.
Guilty pleasure movies

also
Office Space
Napoleon Dynamite
The Big Lebowski

NOT my favorite movies but gotta love guilty pleasures.
Re-watched one of my favorite guilty pleasure movies last weekend, “The Lost Boys.” Campy and sorta silly, yes. But perfect casting (wasn’t hard to see Kiefer Sutherland was a star) and a perfect movie when you were a teenager.
^^^Great movie and great soundtrack...

Watched Arthur today on TCM and laughed my butt off.

Almost Famous on TCM right now. Excellent...