Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Songs you hate by bands you love
On the way to work this morning, a song came on the radio that automatically makes me change the channel, every single time.  It was the vomit-inducing "Jump" by Van Halen, a band I mostly love.  But I hated this song when it came out, and nearly 40 years later I still despise it.  I know a lot of people love it, but it's not the VH I know and love.

Anyway, that got me thinking that a good topic for a thread would be--what song by a band or solo act that you generally love just gets under your skin, makes you wonder 'what were they thinking?"  Not bands you can't stand anyway, but acts you like that whiffed on one.  I'll be interested in hearing these responses.
Two come to mind immediately. 

Kiss You All Over by Exile

Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus
(03-09-2021, 09:40 AM)Van Hagar Wrote: On the way to work this morning, a song came on the radio that automatically makes me change the channel, every single time.  It was the vomit-inducing "Jump" by Van Halen, a band I mostly love.  But I hated this song when it came out, and nearly 40 years later I still despise it.  I know a lot of people love it, but it's not the VH I know and love.

Anyway, that got me thinking that a good topic for a thread would be--what song by a band or solo act that you generally love just gets under your skin, makes you wonder 'what were they thinking?"  Not bands you can't stand anyway, but acts you like that whiffed on one.  I'll be interested in hearing these responses.

Great thread, as usual, VH.   This one's gonna require some thought. Most of the bands I really love I'm at least okay with most all of their songs. I'm going to have to dig deep to find tunes that I hate. I may have to go with the songs that I'm "not overly enthralled with." LOL
Hoot Gibson Wrote:Two come to mind immediately. 

Kiss You All Over by Exile

Achy Breaky Heart by Billy Ray Cyrus

Two strong entries there Hoot.  The Exile one I'm really with you on, because they wound up being a very good country band.  But this song---Nope!  And if you go back and listen to some of Billy Ray's stuff, like "Some Gave All", and "Where Am I Gonna Live When I Get Home," he did some strong work.  But he'll never totally escape Achy Breaky.
I saw Exile a few years back and they were still really, really good!
I replied too quickly. I don't love Exile or Billy Ray Cyrus but I really hate the two songs that I listed.

I do love Fleetwood Mac but every time that I hear "Tusk," I hit the skip button.
That makes more sense, I somehow didn’t peg you as a big Billy Ray Cyrus fan!
(03-09-2021, 12:53 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I replied too quickly. I don't love Exile or Billy Ray Cyrus but I really hate the two songs that I listed.

I do love Fleetwood Mac but every time that I hear "Tusk," I hit the skip button.

Fleetwood Mac is one of my favorite bands of all time  but Tusk(the single) is definitely not one of my favorite Mac songs.  Tusk(the album) IS my favorite FM album. Twenty songs and not really a bad song on the album. "Tusk," the single , is probably my least fav. on the record.  A masterpiece of an album, though.  I know a lot of folks were disappointed in the follow up to Rumours (how do you ever follow up a masterpiece)but I think they did just fine.   Some hidden gems on that LP. 
Boston - Don't Look Back
Aerosmith - Draw the Line
Doobie Brothers - What a Fool Believes
Chicago - Look Away
Michael Jackson - every song after Thriller album

And the song that sucks worse than anything has ever sucked before winner
Leif Garrett - I Was Made For Dancing
JP, since this was about songs you hate by acts you love, I guess we can assume you were a big Leif Garrett groupie back in the day? A Tiger Beat subscriber were you? Just messing with ya. I'm right with you on the Doobies and Chicago songs. And I like a good power ballad at times, but the Aerosmith song I really can't stomach is that "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing". I'm pretty sure it's their only number one song ever, but it blows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-11-2021, 02:11 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: JP, since this was about songs you hate by acts you love, I guess we can assume you were a big Leif Garrett groupie back in the day?  A Tiger Beat subscriber were you?  Just messing with ya.  I'm right with you on the Doobies and Chicago songs.  And I like a good power ballad at times, but the Aerosmith song I really can't stomach is that "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".  I'm pretty sure it's their only number one song ever, but it blows.
Haha Van I was just throwing that horrible song out there like others did in the thread, which is a great thread btw...
please keep the music threads coming and I'm sure you have an Adam Ant poster on your ceiling lol....
(03-11-2021, 11:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 02:11 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: JP, since this was about songs you hate by acts you love, I guess we can assume you were a big Leif Garrett groupie back in the day?  A Tiger Beat subscriber were you?  Just messing with ya.  I'm right with you on the Doobies and Chicago songs.  And I like a good power ballad at times, but the Aerosmith song I really can't stomach is that "Don't Wanna Miss A Thing".  I'm pretty sure it's their only number one song ever, but it blows.
Haha Van I was just throwing that horrible song out there like others did in the thread, which is a great thread btw...
please keep the music threads coming and I'm sure you have an Adam Ant poster on your ceiling lol....

I've got my  AA poster  positioned right between my Carl Sagan  and my Noam Chomsky .

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...E&usqp=CAc]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • jetpilot
(03-12-2021, 12:14 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-11-2021, 11:42 PM)jetpilot Wrote:

I've got my  AA poster  positioned right between my Carl Sagan  and my Noam Chomsky .

[Image: https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/image...E&usqp=CAc]
Lol!
Tommy James & The Shondells  -   "Mony Mony "

Love TJ&TS  but I'd need to paid some serious Money Money to sit through  "Mony Mony" again. And Billy Idol, be damned, for reviving it.