Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kentucky’s proposed Bill
(02-06-2021, 04:49 PM)Lone Ranger Wrote:
(02-06-2021, 10:21 AM)plantmanky Wrote: After talking to a legal friend of mine, why not offer this to all students in all grades (like NCAA did) and not just seniors.  Couldn't that be a  title IX violation?

While I disagree that this isn’t an academic/education issue, I completely agree it should be offered for every student K-12. 
The Senate version of the Bill appears to be very well written and covers most all the main topics. Leave the KHSAA age limits in place just as it should. Every parent should have to opportunity to chose if this is best for their child or not. It gives the parent/guardian and student the opportunity to make a wholistic decision for what is best for their child. Some will use it, some will decide not to. Some kids are ready to move on, others feel the need to do it over. I do not see the drawbacks of giving parents and students an option to decide what is best for them.

Maybe not for them but there's no way districts are going to be able to accommodate this across the board.  The state isn't going to fund any of this, so districts will have to somehow find the facilities, resources, and teachers to staff more kids being in their building than normal.  For me it's one of those ideas that looks good in theory but has a ton of failures when you look at it from a practical point of view.
No smart high school kid is going to waste their time or a year of their life to spend another year in high school and participate in a"meaningless" high school athletics program. This bill is nothing but show by the lawmakers trying to show that they did try something to help and pick up a few votes in the next election.
As much as I love HS football and the kids who play it I do not think this is a good idea. The ripple effect will linger for years to come. Unfortunatley I think its a bandaid that has to be ripped off. My biggest concern is not the impact on the graduating senior but the underclassmen who will be filling those vacated positions and ultimatley hurt their chance to further their careers on the next level. This one is going to hairy if it passes and there will be people who abuse it. IMO it will be very difficult to manage.
I hope it passes!!!
Looks like the bill passed today by a committee. Now heading to the Senate, then has to be cleared by the House education committee and then signed by the governor.
This doesn’t need to happen. This just goes to show how we are sports driven and that’s all we care about
Senator did a great job presenting this Bill today. Made a lot of great points about vocational classes I never thought about before watching.
I really think this bill is a good opportunity for parents and students to be able to fill in any learning gaps that have happened due to virtual/online learning.  The inclusion of K-12 in the bill, will be detrimental to the young students in primary grades, where more learning gaps will take place, as it could be possible that the ripple effect will be athlete in the future only having three years of high school eligibility due to the age date. 

Looking at the past calenders of KHSAA sports and the knowledge  the KHSAA is ok with players being 19 and eligible.  I think they should look at the verbiage of age eligibility to allow any athlete that does not turn 20 before the end of the school years last season to be eligible.  As well as, roll back the date of date of birth to July 15th, which is typicall the first day of practice for fall sports. 

This would read as follows:

Sec. 1) AGE RESTRICTION a) Under KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes twenty (20) years old before the last day of the scheduled school year's season shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition at a KHSAA member high school. b) A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after July 15th shall remain eligible for the entire school year. 

If I have thought about this correctly, then this language would allow 19 year olds to play but not student-athletes that turn 20 during the school year.  

If we need to have 19 as the age: 

Sec. 1) AGE RESTRICTION a) Under KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes nineteen (19) years old before June 21st shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition at a KHSAA member high school. b) A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after June 21st shall remain eligible for the entire school year. 

The reason for that date, is it is the latest any season has run over the past 20 years; and should eliminate any 20 year olds from participation in any of the sports at age 20. 

Thoughts?
(02-26-2021, 05:02 PM)TheBear Wrote: I really think this bill is a good opportunity for parents and students to be able to fill in any learning gaps that have happened due to virtual/online learning.  The inclusion of K-12 in the bill, will be detrimental to the young students in primary grades, where more learning gaps will take place, as it could be possible that the ripple effect will be athlete in the future only having three years of high school eligibility due to the age date. 

Looking at the past calenders of KHSAA sports and the knowledge  the KHSAA is ok with players being 19 and eligible.  I think they should look at the verbiage of age eligibility to allow any athlete that does not turn 20 before the end of the school years last season to be eligible.  As well as, roll back the date of date of birth to July 15th, which is typicall the first day of practice for fall sports. 

This would read as follows:

Sec. 1) AGE RESTRICTION a) Under KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes twenty (20) years old before the last day of the scheduled school year's season shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition at a KHSAA member high school. b) A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after July 15th shall remain eligible for the entire school year. 

If I have thought about this correctly, then this language would allow 19 year olds to play but not student-athletes that turn 20 during the school year.  

If we need to have 19 as the age: 

Sec. 1) AGE RESTRICTION a) Under KRS 156.070 (2) (e), a student who becomes nineteen (19) years old before June 21st shall be ineligible for interscholastic athletic competition at a KHSAA member high school. b) A student who becomes nineteen (19) on or after June 21st shall remain eligible for the entire school year. 

The reason for that date, is it is the latest any season has run over the past 20 years; and should eliminate any 20 year olds from participation in any of the sports at age 20. 

Thoughts?
It has nothing to do with education. Take the sports out of it. If kids wanna come back for educational reasons only then yes.....but not for sports
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • Runrunrun
Why take sports out of it? There’s tons of kids who lost seasons and playoffs that didn’t get to play period. Heck, what if a kid is 17 and graduating and decides that he or she can come back for a year and then wants to play a sport and has never played. I think they can play if that’s what they want to do. Age isn’t a factor in this case.

I know ever since I was in school kids were staying back to get a advantage to try to get some help for there recruiting. It worked for most. But back then we didn’t have social media to announce everything.

I understand that some don’t want change of any kind. I’m sure back in the day, it was crazy to go to school when the family needed help on the farm lol.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bull got out!'s post:
  • Big Daddy Bull
Well, Bill just passed the Senate today unanimously 36-0. Now onto the House.
(03-02-2021, 09:48 PM)Cobraxx Wrote: Well, Bill just passed the Senate today unanimously 36-0. Now onto the House.

I just saw that too.
It is for all current HS students. Not just athletes. It just allows students that do take advantage of it to not have an impact on their athletic careers.

I wasn’t aware of anything passing about allowing students to repeat in the MS. I’ll need to look into that.
This is taking on the tone of being all about sports, but what gets lost is the fact that students in hybrid or remote learning settings all year did not get the education they deserve nor will they be on grade level at the end of the year. I don't want to get into the politics behind the decisions to open or not open schools, but the fact is the kids that did not have an in person learning experience are going to be behind the kids that did.
(03-02-2021, 09:48 PM)Cobraxx Wrote: Well, Bill just passed the Senate today unanimously 36-0. Now onto the House.

Put a running clock on the naysayers. Very nice.