Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Story Songs
Another of the all-timers from the country world that I can’t believe I forgot, ‘Pancho and Lefty’ by Willie Nelson and Merle Haggard.
Jim Croce died at 30, which cut his contributions to this category short but he had some great ones.

You Don't Mess Around with Jim
Bad, Bad Leroy Brown
Operator (That's Not the Way it Feels)
Working at the Carwash Blues
(02-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Jim Croce died at 30, which cut his contributions to this category short but he had some great ones.

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

Jim Croce has a lot of great songs.
(02-15-2021, 08:08 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Jim Croce died at 30, which cut his contributions to this category short but he had some great ones.

Bad, Bad Leroy Brown

Croce was a great storyteller in his music , as was Harry Chapin. Croce died in a plane crash and Chapin in a car accident.
Jim Croce ranks right there with John Prine and a few others as the greatest of the storytelling singers. And let's not forget "The Gambler" by Kenny Rogers, and a bunch of Eagles songs, led by "Lying Eyes." Honestly, I guess "Hotel California" would qualify as a story song, just left up to everyone's own interpretation of what it means.
One of the greatest, and most heartbreaking, story songs you’ll ever hear is “Jacob’s Dream” by Alison Kraus and Union Station. For some reason, I couldn’t get the video to link up for me, but find it and give it a listen. It’s a true story, just like “The Wreck of the EF” and with Alison’s haunting vocals it’s a really sad song.
(03-12-2021, 08:29 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: One of the greatest, and most heartbreaking, story songs you’ll ever hear is “Jacob’s Dream” by Alison Kraus and Union Station. For some reason, I couldn’t get the video to link up for me, but find it and give it a listen. It’s a true story, just like “The Wreck of the EF” and with Alison’s haunting vocals it’s a really sad song.

One of the best vocalists ever.

Was anyone else a fan of Dr. Hook growing up?