Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Paintsville 2021
I’ll say Melvin will get it also. They’ll try home run hire but in the end they’ll end up offering it to Mr. Melvin.
From the way it sounds from the Tiger faithful. Whomever takes this job is facing a “Ground Up” rebuild. If true, that will scare off the “Big Names” that they want to bring in. I hope Paintsville gets a coach who can keep the momentum going. I’m no Paintsville fan, but the rivalry between Pikeville and Paintsville is a good thing for both programs.
(02-16-2021, 09:20 PM)HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote: From the way it sounds from the Tiger faithful. Whomever takes this job is facing a “Ground Up” rebuild. If true, that will scare off the “Big Names” that they want to bring in. I hope Paintsville gets a coach who can keep the momentum going. I’m no Paintsville fan, but the rivalry between Pikeville and Paintsville is a good thing for both programs.

“Ground Up” rebuild?  They’ve got more coming back than what people realize. The only assistant that I know for a fact will not be there next year is Jordan Ray.
Paintsville has loads more talent returning than the Hazard team that beat Pikeville last year. Nothing close to a ground up rebuild. However, the new coach will need to put effort and resources into driving up numbers at the lower levels. Paintsville is small school (I think the 8 smallest that has football) so numbers will always be an issue.
(02-16-2021, 10:59 PM)2000PHS Wrote: Paintsville has loads more talent returning than the Hazard team that beat Pikeville last year. Nothing close to a ground up rebuild. However, the new coach will need to put effort and resources into driving up numbers at the lower levels. Paintsville is small school (I think the 8 smallest that has football) so numbers will always be an issue.
Lol. Pikeville has loads more talent than the Letcher Central team that beat Paintsville last year too. Pretty sure HP meant middle school on down (numbers) when he said ground up and wasn't downing anyone.
:woah: Rumor this way is a lot of players are transferring back to Floyd and Pike County.
If Paintsville can keep players from transferring out than they will have a solid team the next 2-3 years. That’s not the main issue. The issue is after the next 2 years they just don’t have the number of kids coming up from middle school. They would need to get a large chunk of transfers every year just to have enough players to compete at a decent level. Without Chirico that is going to be hard to do. This hire obviously changes all of that if they hit a home run.
I agree with those saying Paintsville will still be a threat in 1A and competitive amongst most of the programs in mountains for the next 1 or 2 years. After that, I’m afraid there’s going to be drop in overall talent. Still may have enough talent to compete in 1A though and that’s all that really matters.
For those saying it...what’s your idea of a “home run hire”
(02-17-2021, 01:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
(02-16-2021, 10:59 PM)2000PHS Wrote: Paintsville has loads more talent returning than the Hazard team that beat Pikeville last year. Nothing close to a ground up rebuild. However, the new coach will need to put effort and resources into driving up numbers at the lower levels. Paintsville is small school (I think the 8 smallest that has football) so numbers will always be an issue.
Lol. Pikeville has loads more talent than the Letcher Central team that beat Paintsville last year too. Pretty sure HP meant middle school on down (numbers) when he said ground up and wasn't downing anyone.
Paintsville has a top 3 team talent wise returning. Anything said otherwise is just fodder. You know that, I know that, anyone that follows 1A should know that. 

Paintsville from my memory has always had low numbers in middle school. The team Kash played on probably had less than 15 players and went to the state finals.
(02-17-2021, 08:28 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 01:12 AM)jetpilot Wrote:
Paintsville has a top 3 team talent wise returning. Anything said otherwise is just fodder. You know that, I know that, anyone that follows 1A should know that. 

Paintsville from my memory has always had low numbers in middle school. The team Kash played on probably had less than 15 players and went to the state finals.
I don't think anyone has been arguing with you. You got bent out of shape because you mistakenly thought HP was disrespecting.
But since you are pressing the issue I have no idea if Paintsville will be Top 3 team talent-wise or not.  But regardless I think it's easy to be a Top 3 talent team in Class A. That and a dollar might get you a cup of coffee somewhere.
2000 no clue if they will have top 3 talent next year or not and I agree numbers don’t always determine how good a team is. But the low numbers in Kash’s had a bunch of good players in those classes. The last two jr high teams at Paintsville may have been the weakest to ever come through the school.
Any word on who has applied for this job or who the leading candidates are at this point?
(02-18-2021, 11:52 AM)BBN2021 Wrote: Any word on who has applied for this job or who the leading candidates are at this point?

I’ve heard multiple names thus far, but I think it’s mostly speculation.
I don’t really know anyone personally involved in the process, but I’ve heard: Brian Melvin (has been a Chirico assistant for multiple years), Jason Arms (Paintsville grad on JC’s staff), Sullivan (Pikeville), and Russell’s HC.

Who knows if those are legitimate though. Like I said those are the names I hear most often.

(02-18-2021, 01:05 PM)BigBlue2010 Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 11:52 AM)BBN2021 Wrote: Any word on who has applied for this job or who the leading candidates are at this point?

I don’t really know anyone personally involved in the process, but I’ve heard: Brian Melvin (has been a Chirico assistant for multiple years), Jason Arms (Paintsville grad on JC’s staff), Sullivan (Pikeville), and Russell’s HC.

Who knows if those are legitimate though. Like I said those are the names I hear most often.

Justin, not Jason. Lol

Justin, not Jason. Lol
I think Paul Sullivan of Pikeville is a pipe dream for Paintsville. I’m sure he likely would be the top candidate when Mac decides to step down. I don’t pretend to know for certain on that but I think people probably shouldn’t get their hopes up on that possibility.
(02-18-2021, 04:19 PM)PHSForever Wrote:

Justin, not Jason. Lol
I think Paul Sullivan of Pikeville is a pipe dream for Paintsville. I’m sure he likely would be the top candidate when Mac decides to step down. I don’t pretend to know for certain on that but I think people probably shouldn’t get their hopes up on that possibility.

I could see that being the case too. I had a guy tell me about 15 minutes ago, that there’s some rumors floating around that Belfry’s assistant coach (he couldn’t recall the name) has been mentioned.
JJ Strong
This is great. I remember when TJ left and all the Ram fans were throwing out these huge names haha. It’s signal A football fella’s and at one of the smallest schools in the state in eastern Kentucky. It will be someone that’s already on staff. But it’s cute to watch hahah ....keep on dreaming guys
[-] The following 1 user Likes RAMDAD50's post:
  • PHSForever
What “huge” names have you seen show up on this thread? Assistant coaches from other area schools are now considered “huge names”
(02-18-2021, 08:35 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: This is great. I remember when TJ left and all the Ram fans were  throwing out these huge names haha. It’s signal A football fella’s and at one of the smallest schools in the state in eastern Kentucky. It will be someone that’s already on staff. But it’s cute to watch hahah ....keep on dreaming guys
Huge names? Not sure who you would be talking about... Don’t worry though, I promise you Mike Salmons hasn’t been mentioned  Big Grin
(02-18-2021, 09:22 PM)MountainMamba Wrote:
(02-18-2021, 08:35 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: This is great. I remember when TJ left and all the Ram fans were  throwing out these huge names haha. It’s signal A football fella’s and at one of the smallest schools in the state in eastern Kentucky. It will be someone that’s already on staff. But it’s cute to watch hahah ....keep on dreaming guys
Huge names? Not sure who you would be talking about... Don’t worry though, I promise you Mike Salmons hasn’t been mentioned  Big Grin
Please take him haha
(02-18-2021, 09:22 PM)MountainMamba Wrote:
LOL
(02-17-2021, 01:43 AM)Old_Trojan Wrote: Woah Rumor this way is a lot of players are transferring back to Floyd and Pike County.
Lol what players from Floyd and pike county are you referring to? Good try though. I honestly can’t think of one player on Paintsville’s roster that is from pike county.

(02-18-2021, 04:19 PM)PHSForever Wrote:

Justin, not Jason. Lol
Guaranteed that it won’t be Sullivan!
(02-17-2021, 05:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I agree with those saying Paintsville will still be a threat in 1A and competitive amongst most of the programs in mountains for the next 1 or 2 years. After that, I’m afraid there’s going to be drop in overall talent. Still may have enough talent to compete in 1A though and that’s all that really matters.
Nobody cares.
(02-19-2021, 12:49 PM)The Real Guru2 Wrote:
(02-17-2021, 05:33 PM)BlackcatAlum Wrote: I agree with those saying Paintsville will still be a threat in 1A and competitive amongst most of the programs in mountains for the next 1 or 2 years. After that, I’m afraid there’s going to be drop in overall talent. Still may have enough talent to compete in 1A though and that’s all that really matters.
Nobody cares.

If you don’t care, go troll somewhere else.
I think they will have a lot of good applicants. Sullivan would be a home run for them. No matter where your at. Going from asst to HC is a step up.
Sullivan going to Paintsville would be Pikeville losing to Hazard last year level shocking IMO.
(02-19-2021, 09:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Sullivan going to Paintsville would be Pikeville losing to Hazard last year level shocking IMO.
I agree. Ain’t happening. Would be a great hire and a great experience for Paul but he isn’t leaving Pikeville for another 1A job and maybe not for any other job.
(02-19-2021, 09:48 PM)2000PHS Wrote:
(02-19-2021, 09:25 PM)jetpilot Wrote: Sullivan going to Paintsville would be Pikeville losing to Hazard last year level shocking IMO.
I agree. Ain’t happening. Would be a great hire and a great experience for Paul but he isn’t leaving Pikeville for another 1A job and maybe not for any other job.
Agreed on the great hire and great experience part. But stranger things have happened (Hazard). If he did go to Paintsville it would be very very good for Paintsville and very very bad for Pikeville IMO.
They should @ least give Melvin an interview. They owe that to him!!!