Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Paintsville 2021
(02-11-2021, 10:17 PM)bball_fan Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 10:05 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: It’s a good move for him. I look for Pikevilles coach to start looking at a bigger school in the near future. Class A is about done and if you wanna continue coaching you best be ready to make a move.

Can I ask what you mean by about done?
The KHSAA will have to start looking at the numbers situation when it comes to small class A schools.We are all in agreement that the numbers are declining.Soon they will have to drop a class.I assume the would sweep all of class a and 2A into one class.When that happens what do you think will happen to schools like Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland, NCC and Hazard? These are schools typically in the top five in class A every year.On average they will do good to finish in the top 10-15 in a ....if you wanna call it a super class.Now before some of you Pikeville fans crawl up my ass and assume I’m saying you can’t compete if this happens well....your right! That’s what I’m saying! Not like you do currently.if this happens...and I know it’s a big of but if it does happen that’s why I’m saying single A football as we’ve come to know it the last 15 years will be over.It’s a good time to get out before this happens.Joe done a good thing and others need to take notes and be looking .....that’s all I’m saying 
(02-12-2021, 11:33 AM)E's Army Wrote: Facilities at GRC are tremendous. Anybody have an idea how much a pay increase he is getting. He is at the point in his career where an increase in pay over next 5 years will make a huge difference on what he draws in retirement.
Chirico has never been a teacher, won’t be at GRC.
At GRC he will have a steady stream of kids. At Paintsville he would have had to continue relying on transfers year in and year out to add depth and boost the talent. Could he have done that? Probably. But it just seems to be less of a headache when you know you’ve got athletes coming up every year.
GRC has been horrible for years so it’s a good move, nowhere to go but up
GRC's stadium is TREMENDOUS. One of the best in the entire state.
I’m excited to see who they bring in. I would go out on a limb and say that they won’t keep the hire in house. Will need a big hire that bring some excitement. Excited for the search start! Anyone have ideas on who it could be? I have some ideas but not going to say who I think just yet.  Undecided
(02-12-2021, 03:44 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(02-11-2021, 10:05 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote: It’s a good move for him. I look for Pikevilles coach to start looking at a bigger school in the near future. Class A is about done and if you wanna continue coaching you best be ready to make a move.

The KHSAA will have to start looking at the numbers situation when it comes to small class A schools.We are all in agreement that the numbers are declining.Soon they will have to drop a class.I assume the would sweep all of class a and 2A into one class.When that happens what do you think will happen to schools like Paintsville, Pikeville, Raceland, NCC and Hazard? These are schools typically in the top five in class A every year.On average they will do good to finish in the top 10-15 in a ....if you wanna call it a super class.Now before some of you Pikeville fans crawl up my ass and assume I’m saying you can’t compete if this happens well....your right! That’s what I’m saying! Not like you do currently.if this happens...and I know it’s a big of but if it does happen that’s why I’m saying single A football as we’ve come to know it the last 15 years will be over.It’s a good time to get out before this happens.Joe done a good thing and others need to take notes and be looking .....that’s all I’m saying 
That would basically be how 1A used to be in the 4 class system.  If you look at the teams that won 1A before 2007 you will find teams that are currently 2A schools and the current 1A contenders very rarely made it to the championship game.  As far as Paintsville goes, I sincerely hope they can keep being competitive so the class can be somewhat strong.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Orange Blaze's post:
  • RAMDAD50
(02-12-2021, 07:59 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

That would basically be how 1A used to be in the 4 class system.  If you look at the teams that won 1A before 2007 you will find teams that are currently 2A schools and the current 1A contenders very rarely made it to the championship game.  As far as Paintsville goes, I sincerely hope they can keep being competitive so the class can be somewhat strong.
At one time signal A football was the most competitive football in the state. You had teams like Beechwood going across state lines and beating Moller. It was so competitive from top to bottom that the playoffs were a war ...a true war! It’s cupcake city and the sad thing is Blaze .....our Rams still don’t have a championship
(02-12-2021, 07:34 PM)MountainMamba Wrote: I’m excited to see who they bring in. I would go out on a limb and say that they won’t keep the hire in house. Will need a big hire that bring some excitement. Excited for the search start! Anyone have ideas on who it could be? I have some ideas but not going to say who I think just yet.  Undecided

It will be in-house. No talent coming up in the middle school, barely enough to field a middle school team the last 2 years. I would say they’ll announce the new coach soon.
Superintendent didn’t do enough to keep Coach Chirico. Probably just wants to bring one of his buddies in. See what that gets him!!!! More 3-7 seasons on the horizon
Just saw on Facebook that offensive line coach Jordan Ray will be following Chirico to GRC. I haven’t heard if any other assistants will be going with him.
If thats indeed fact it is a HUGE loss. Paintsville is stout year in and out upfront. Personally, unless Paintsville has a bunch jump ship, they return a solid group of Jrs and Seniors next year. Should return 3 of 5 OL and 2 of 4 DL if im not mistaken. As well as Phelps at RB. Now, the future may not be exceedingly bright past the Soph class, but whoever comes in or takes over has a state title program, and one of the leading rushers and one of the best OL/DL in all of 1A. So im not sure how things are instantly over bc Joe is leaving. That being said though, its going to take some broad shoulders to step in ams continue what he has built.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scotty_Bronson's post:
  • Josiewales
(02-13-2021, 11:10 AM)Budsqueezer Wrote: Superintendent didn’t do enough to keep Coach Chirico. Probably just wants to bring one of his buddies in. See what that gets him!!!! More 3-7 seasons on the horizon
What are you talking about? Chirico’s actual job, the one that pays his bills, relocated him to be the Central Kentucky Sales Rep.
Tough blow. Will be interesting to see who all applies for this job, if they even post it.

And for any moderators on here. I don’t know what was going on with my account all season, but it never would let me log in until now. So I just got on here and read all season long lol.
(02-13-2021, 08:08 PM)Redneck Wrote: Tough blow. Will be interesting to see who all applies for this job, if they even post it.

And for any moderators on here. I don’t know what was going on with my account all season, but it never would let me log in until now. So I just got on here and read all season long lol.

At one of our weekly Bluegrass Rival's administrative meetings held at the Trump Tower we decided to do all that was possible to keep you, Redneck, from logging on to your account this season.  Mission accomplished!  

Big Grin

All kidding aside, Spud may have the answer to why you were unable to log on or may be able to find out why that occurred.
(02-13-2021, 09:42 PM)Westside Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 08:08 PM)Redneck Wrote: Tough blow. Will be interesting to see who all applies for this job, if they even post it.

At one of our weekly Bluegrass Rival's administrative meetings held at the Trump Tower we decided to do all that was possible to keep you, Redneck, from logging on to your account this season.  Mission accomplished!  

Big Grin

All kidding aside, Spud may have the answer to why you were unable to log on or may be able to find out why that occurred.

It’s no big deal. I actually enjoyed not being about to post on a lot of occasions. I probably would have got suspended anyways.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Redneck's post:
  • Westside
Word I heard from a couple of people today, they would give Grizzle a shot if he could show them how he would building at youth football and how he would be willing to commit contract wise. 

But, is that wishful thinking or the Paintsville camp talking. 

I also heard the majority of the coaches are also leaving.
Wasn't Somerset on Paintsville original schedule? Saw it got excited now it's not. Anyone know?
(02-13-2021, 10:38 PM)Redneck Wrote:
(02-13-2021, 09:42 PM)Westside Wrote:

Big Grin

It’s no big deal. I actually enjoyed not being about to post on a lot of occasions. I probably would have got suspended anyways.

That’s really weird redneck. I don’t know what would have caused that issue. Unless you randomly got out on a suspension and no one knew how or why you got suspended. I don’t know
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
I hope that Paintsville is open to giving members of the staffs at Paintsville and Johnson Central serious consideration for the HC job. Surely, between two Johnson Central schools that have made deep playoff runs and won state championships recently, there must be one assistant coach who warrants a shot at the job. 

Being mentored by a great head coach for several years in a successful program is better than having HC experience in a struggling program, IMO. I would hate to see Coach Matney lose an assistant but I am sure that he would be the first to congratulate any young man on accepting his first head coaching position.
^^^Paintsville just won a championship. They had several assistants under Chirico who learned his system. between those guys and plenty of people who would love to get the HC job, they should be fine if they can keep their numbers up. Plenty of talent still there, they will continue to be in the hunt for championships for the foreseeable future.
[-] The following 2 users Like jetpilot's post:
  • Blue_Bird96, MountainMamba
(02-14-2021, 08:22 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I hope that Paintsville is open to giving members of the staffs at Paintsville and Johnson Central serious consideration for the HC job. Surely, between two Johnson Central schools that have made deep playoff runs and won state championships recently, there must be one assistant coach who warrants a shot at the job. 

Being mentored by a great head coach for several years in a successful program is better than having HC experience in a struggling program, IMO. I would hate to see Coach Matney lose an assistant but I am sure that he would be the first to congratulate any young man on accepting his first head coaching position.
Johnson Central is very good at keeping their own. Most people on the coaching staff that would even be considered for the HC job would be crazy to leave their situation. I would love to see it, but that would be a long shot. Some things have happened over the years that have left a bad taste in the mouth of coaches at JC w/ kids transferring from JC to Paintsville and vice versa. I do think it is possible that maybe one JC coach would consider, but again very unlikely.
(02-15-2021, 01:18 AM)MountainMamba Wrote:
(02-14-2021, 08:22 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: I hope that Paintsville is open to giving members of the staffs at Paintsville and Johnson Central serious consideration for the HC job. Surely, between two Johnson Central schools that have made deep playoff runs and won state championships recently, there must be one assistant coach who warrants a shot at the job. 

Johnson Central is very good at keeping their own. Most people on the coaching staff that would even be considered for the HC job would be crazy to leave their situation. I would love to see it, but that would be a long shot. Some things have happened over the years that have left a bad taste in the mouth of coaches at JC w/ kids transferring from JC to Paintsville and vice versa. I do think it is possible that maybe one JC coach would consider, but again very unlikely.
Every HC worth his salt should be devoting time every day developing his staff so that if they choose, they will be ready to take over a program as HC some day, IMO. Good coaches are good teachers and that includes training their staffs as well as their players. I have not kept up with who is on JC's staff but I know that there was at least one PHS alumnus on Matney's staff who, if he is still there, would certainly be ready for a HC job if he wanted one.

I am aware of things that have happened between Paintsville and JC, going back to the early 70s, in multiple sports and at multiple levels, but most of those responsible for what happened are no longer around. Maybe it's time to let go of old grudges and elevate the rivalry to a more friendly level.
(02-12-2021, 10:42 PM)RAMDAD50 Wrote:
(02-12-2021, 07:59 PM)Orange Blaze Wrote:

At one time signal A football was the most competitive football in the state. You had teams like Beechwood going across state lines and beating Moller. It was so competitive from top to bottom that the playoffs were a war ...a true war! It’s cupcake city and the sad thing is Blaze .....our Rams still don’t have a championship
Beating Moeller? What year was that? Do not think they have ever beaten or played any GCL teams.
(02-15-2021, 07:49 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Every HC worth his salt should be devoting time every day developing his staff so that if they choose, they will be ready to take over a program as HC some day, IMO. Good coaches are good teachers and that includes training their staffs as well as their players. I have not kept up with who is on JC's staff but I know that there was at least one PHS alumnus on Matney's staff who, if he is still there, would certainly be ready for a HC job if he wanted one.

I am aware of things that have happened between Paintsville and JC, going back to the early 70s, in multiple sports and at multiple levels, but most of those responsible for what happened are no longer around. Maybe it's time to let go of old grudges and elevate the rivalry to a more friendly level.
Totally agree! Just don’t see someone from JC taking this job IMO.
Justin Arms from JC would be a great hire IMO. He is a really solid football coach and a good teacher. Obviously I don’t want JC to lose him though.

(02-15-2021, 02:13 PM)Mister D Wrote: Justin Arms from JC would be a great hire IMO. He is a really solid football coach and a good teacher. Obviously I don’t want JC to lose him though.

Like others have said it would be hard to pull anyone away from JC. I honestly don’t think Justin would leave JC right now but definitely something Paintsville should consider.
(02-15-2021, 02:13 PM)Mister D Wrote: Justin Arms from JC would be a great hire IMO. He is a really solid football coach and a good teacher. Obviously I don’t want JC to lose him though.

Like others have said it would be hard to pull anyone away from JC. I honestly don’t think Justin would leave JC right now but definitely something Paintsville should consider.
I’m sure Paintsville will reach out to him, they have in the past. However, it is possible he is the “next in line” at JC so he very well could be waiting his turn there. Definitely not a bad situation to be in for him.
(02-15-2021, 02:22 PM)2000PHS Wrote:

I’m sure Paintsville will reach out to him, they have in the past. However, it is possible he is the “next in line” at JC so he very well could be waiting his turn there. Definitely not a bad situation to be in for him.
He is a Paintsville Alumn, but he is in a perfect situation a JC. Paintsville would be very lucky if they got their hands on him. IMO I don’t see it happening. I hope I’m wrong though because he would be the kind of hire that keeps Paintsville at a competitive level. I’m not 100% sure but I think he did put in for the job when Chirico got it. A lot can happen in roughly 10 years though. On the other hand, Paintsville has a good group of men returning. Arguably one of the best RB’s in the state, a few hard nosed experienced lineman, and the defense should still be stout. The coach coming in has at least 2-3 more years of having a few playmakers on the field, but after that the 14 man middle school teams just won’t cut it. They will have to have transfers or try to get more kids to come out. Has to start at the bottom. From elementary to middle school they need to be getting kids to come out and play.
(02-15-2021, 11:40 AM)MountainMamba Wrote:
(02-15-2021, 07:49 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Totally agree! Just don’t see someone from JC taking this job IMO.
Honestly, I don’t see Paintsville Hiring them even if they did.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blue_Bird96's post:
  • MountainMamba
I will make my prediction like the news stations on election night. THOMCAT declares Brian Melvin as the next head coach of the Paintsville Tigers.