Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(9)Alabama 70 Kentucky 59
Smile
All of the geniuses involved in signing Coach Calipari to a lifetime contract should be offered early retirement, assuming that they do not also have lifetime contracts. Retirements should take effective immediately.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Westside
Cal taking Mintz out in a crucial time in the game and they go on an 8-0 run to seal the win is one of Cal’s worst moments. Mintz was our best player last night.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(01-27-2021, 06:45 PM)Spud6 Wrote: Cal taking Mintz out in a crucial time in the game and they go on an 8-0 run to seal the win is one of Cal’s worst moments. Mintz was our best player last night.
All things considered , Mintz has been pretty solid this year.  I think he has met or exceeded what I expected from him ; the five-star guys, not so much.
We can not expect many wins when you can not shoot more than 32% outside the lane...it is really hard to understand that these 5 stars can not shoot...
The worst stat is Alabama hit 5 field goals in the second half and won the game
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Cal 's record is 22-21 against ranked teams since 2015.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Westside
Kentucky just plain sucks this year. Time to give up and move on to next year.

On a side note, did anyone hear or read the comment made by a former UK player that stated that Cal doesn't give a damn about winning college basketball games? Think it's time for Cal to move on.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Strikeout King's post:
  • jax
Of course he cares... UK really did not know just what a low mentally of the game this group would bring to the table.... even with that there lack of ability to shoot just kills them.... they play very hard now, good defense, just can not shoot, and the low understanding of the game....and they are no shows at the end
(01-28-2021, 02:34 AM)Strikeout King Wrote: Kentucky just plain sucks this year. Time to give up and move on to next year.

On a side note, did anyone hear or read the comment made by a former UK player that stated that Cal doesn't give a damn about winning college basketball games? Think it's time for Cal to move on.

It's an asinine statement, imo.  I think ever who said it is a damned fool, or else has an axe to grind, or possibly just has a low IQ.  Who said it?
Quote of the Week 2: “Cal couldn’t give a damn about winning college basketball games. If he’s getting guys who he knows he can end up developing into NBA players, you’re automatically going to win 30 games a year just from that alone. That’s what I loved,” former UK player De’Aaron Fox, on John Calipari preparing him for the NBA.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/uk-re...ff236.html

Fox has no axe to grind against Cal. Cal is a snake oil salesman. He only cares about getting kids to the pros because it feeds the ego. Cal has a history of literally telling players to leave. Why because he has already signed his next 5 or 6 and there is no room then he can't live up to the promises made to the kids and there families. As long as Cal is the HC i will not watch another game
(01-28-2021, 12:42 PM)cadets1988 Wrote: Quote of the Week 2: “Cal couldn’t give a damn about winning college basketball games. If he’s getting guys who he knows he can end up developing into NBA players, you’re automatically going to win 30 games a year just from that alone. That’s what I loved,” former UK player De’Aaron Fox, on John Calipari preparing him for the NBA.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/sports/uk-re...ff236.html

Fox has no axe to grind against Cal.  Cal is a snake oil salesman.  He only cares about getting kids to the pros because it feeds the ego.  Cal has a history of literally telling players to leave.  Why because he has already signed his next 5 or 6 and there is no room then he can't live up to the promises made to the kids and there families.  As long as Cal is the HC i will not watch another game

"He only cares bout getting kids to the pros" 
So he only cares about making sure his kids are taken care of financially for the rest of their lives. Sounds like a terrible person.

Who would you suggest we get?
Sick of Cal. Sorry, I just am. I feel that he thinks he's bigger than Kentucky Basketball and we're just so lucky to have him.
(01-28-2021, 05:24 PM)jax Wrote: Sick of Cal. Sorry, I just am. I feel that he thinks he's bigger than Kentucky Basketball and we're just so lucky to have him.

Cal’s always been this way 

And I personally think you have to have someone with that much confidence to coach at Kentucky
#BBFL
I think its idiotic to say Cal doesn't care about winning. College basketball coaches are competitive as hell. For most of them, winning is about all they care about. Cal cares a lot about winning and he also cares about his players. And I say this as a guy who is not a huge fan of Cal. I liked Pitino better as basketball x's and o's coach. Sure , Cal has a big ego. Most big-time coaches are pretty egotistical. But he seems like a pretty decent person and an okay coach. He does a great job of getting these five-star guys to buy into playing winning basketball(it hasn't worked this year but in years past , he has been exceptional at that).
If you told me that we could have the Boston Celtics coach right now if we wanted him, I'd say let's go for it in a heartbeat. But he's not walking through UK's locker room anytime soon. So , I ask you, who do we move on to that would give us a better chance of winning titles than Calipari?

Crickets ....
That's a pretty revealing chart right there, OSH. If you had no idea what program it was, you would say the first program was super-elite, while the second one was very good, but not really dominant. Which is sort of where we are at right now, and unfortunately seem to be trending on down.
Calipari has won one title by recruiting more talent than anybody else during the period he has coached Kentucky. I think that the list of coaches in this country that could have done as well with less talent is a long one. Calipari's contract is the problem. Kentucky tied its hands by giving him the most lucrative contract in the NCAA with a huge buyout clause for no good reason. It does not really matter if there are 2, 5, or 50 coaches who could do better, Kentucky's options for signing anybody else to coach the 'Cats are very limited.

NBA franchises knew that Calipari was a mediocre coach when Kentucky extended his contract and most NCAA ADs would not have considered matching the terms of Calipari's old contract. Kentucky, or the state government, needs to clean house in the UK athletic department. Calipari has been operating an NBA farm program at UK. He was hired to win titles and he has won only one in 11 years, despite signing the best available talent of any coach during that period. 

UK is a longshot to make the NCAA field this season, which will hurt recruiting in the future. How well would Calipari fare with the 10th or 20th best recruiting class in the country? Is he capable of teaching current team members to play fundamentally sound basketball before next season opens?

Tubby Smith won 76 percent of his games at UK. John Calipari has won 79.4 percent of his games. Calipari is on pace to lose far more games this season than Tubby lost in his worst season at UK and Tubby never failed to earn a trip to the NCAA tournament. The current UK team is in danger of being Calipari's second UK team to miss the NCAA tournament. In fact, the current team is at risk of not making the NIT field.
(01-30-2021, 05:35 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Calipari has won one title by recruiting more talent than anybody else during the period he has coached Kentucky. I think that the list of coaches in this country that could have done as well with less talent is a long one. Calipari's contract is the problem. Kentucky tied its hands by giving him the most lucrative contract in the NCAA with a huge buyout clause for no good reason. It does not really matter if there are 2, 5, or 50 coaches who could do better, Kentucky's options for signing anybody else to coach the 'Cats are very limited.

NBA franchises knew that Calipari was a mediocre coach when Kentucky extended his contract and most NCAA ADs would not have considered matching the terms of Calipari's old contract. Kentucky, or the state government, needs to clean house in the UK athletic department. Calipari has been operating an NBA farm program at UK. He was hired to win titles and he has won only one in 11 years, despite signing the best available talent of any coach during that period. 

UK is a longshot to make the NCAA field this season, which will hurt recruiting in the future. How well would Calipari fare with the 10th or 20th best recruiting class in the country? Is he capable of teaching current team members to play fundamentally sound basketball before next season opens?

Tubby Smith won 76 percent of his games at UK. John Calipari has won 79.4 percent of his games. Calipari is on pace to lose far more games this season than Tubby lost in his worst season at UK and Tubby never failed to earn a trip to the NCAA tournament. The current UK team is in danger of being Calipari's second UK team to miss the NCAA tournament. In fact, the current team is at risk of not making the NIT field.

To paraphrase your friend , Lindsey Graham, " I say give me ten(actually I'll settle for three)coaches who would have done better. Just as no one provided Lindsey with a single documented case of what he was asking for, I haven't heard anyone mention a single coach who could get the top talent that Cal gets here and would be able to match his 8 of 10 winning percentage.  Not only does he get the top talent , he gets them to buy into a system that puts UK in a position to vie for a title every year(this season being an exception). 

As far as only one title in 11 years, anyone that knows the college basketball game knows that there is quite a fair amount of luck involved in winning a title, once the post-season begins.  Cal could easily have three or four in those elevens years with just a little luck.  Rogue official John Higgins was not Cal's fault in the UNC Elite Eight loss. Cal was good enough to lead UK to 38-0. Frank Kaminsky wasn't Cal's fault. Just a good night for a senior-laden Badger team. Btw, Higgins called that game as well.  

Who else would have most certainly won more than 80% and more than one national title???
(01-30-2021, 06:32 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 05:35 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: Calipari has won one title by recruiting more talent than anybody else during the period he has coached Kentucky. I think that the list of coaches in this country that could have done as well with less talent is a long one. Calipari's contract is the problem. Kentucky tied its hands by giving him the most lucrative contract in the NCAA with a huge buyout clause for no good reason. It does not really matter if there are 2, 5, or 50 coaches who could do better, Kentucky's options for signing anybody else to coach the 'Cats are very limited.

To paraphrase your friend , Lindsey Graham, " I say give me ten(actually I'll settle for three)coaches who would have done better. Just as no one provided Lindsey with a single documented case of what he was asking for, I haven't heard anyone mention a single coach who could get the top talent that Cal gets here and would be able to match his 8 of 10 winning percentage.  Not only does he get the top talent , he gets them to buy into a system that puts UK in a position to vie for a title every year(this season being an exception). 

As far as only one title in 11 years, anyone that knows the college basketball game knows that there is quite a fair amount of luck involved in winning a title, once the post-season begins.  Cal could easily have three or four in those elevens years with just a little luck.  Rogue official John Higgins was not Cal's fault in the UNC Elite Eight loss. Cal was good enough to lead UK to 38-0. Frank Kaminsky wasn't Cal's fault. Just a good night for a senior-laden Badger team. Btw, Higgins called that game as well.  

Who else would have most certainly won more than 80% and more than one national title???
Calipari has not won more than 80 percent of his games. My point is that Kentucky is stuck with him, no matter how many better options may be available.

The loss to Wisconsin was not bad luck, it was bad coaching. It was the result of Calipari refusing to put his best five players into the starting line up. It was the result of not awarding Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis the starting positions that they had earned by mid season and allowing the big, slow Harrison twins too much time on the court. Wisconsin controlled the tempo and that was the key to their win. Booker, who is probably the best 3 point shooter ever to played 19 minutes and had zero 3-point attempts. Ulis played 17 minutes.

John Calipari is paid an annual salary of $8.5 million/year but the worst part of his contract is the $25 million buyout clause. IMO, the contract was one of the worst ever signed by a D1 basketball program.

I don't think it is possible to predict who would have won more games than Calipari has won but his record does not exactly tower above most of UK's former coaches. Based purely on coaching ability, any of the following might have done better, given the built in recruiting advantages that UK offers. I am sure that I have missed some lesser known coaches, but this is a good start. I have also included estimated salaries for each coach listed to give you an idea of what kind of bargain Calipari's current contract is.

NCAA Coaches

Mike Krzyzewski. Duke ($8.98 million)
Bill Self, Kansas ($4.48 million)
Jay Wright, Villanova ($4.4 million)
Roy Williams, North Carolina ($4.04 million)
Tony Bennett, Virginia Tech ($3.025 million)
Frank Martin, South Carolina ($2.95 million)
Bruce Pearl, Auburn ($2.7 million)
Mark Few, Gonzaga ($1.78 million)

NBA Coaches (all better than Calipari was as NBA coaches, some much better)

Gregg Popovich, San Antonio ($11 million)
Doc Rivers, Philadelphia ($10 million)
Nick Nurse, Toronto ($8 million)
Rick Carlisle, Dallas ($7 million)
Billy Donovan, Chicago ($6 million)
Steve Kerr, Golden State ($5 million)
Brad Stevens, Boston ($3.6 million)
Erik Spoelstra, Miama ($3 million)
Michael Malone, Denver ($2 million)
Quin Snyder, Utah ($2 million)
Mike Budenholzer, Milwaukee ($2 million)
(01-30-2021, 07:49 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

Calipari has not won more than 80 percent of his games. My point is that Kentucky is stuck with him, no matter how many better options may be available.

The loss to Wisconsin was not bad luck, it was bad coaching. It was the result of Calipari refusing to put his best five players into the starting line up. It was the result of not awarding Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis the starting positions that they had earned by mid season and allowing the big, slow Harrison twins too much time on the court. Wisconsin controlled the tempo and that was the key to their win. Booker, who is probably the best 3 point shooter ever to played 19 minutes and had zero 3-point attempts. Ulis played 17 minutes.

John Calipari is paid an annual salary of $8.5 million/year but the worst part of his contract is the $25 million buyout clause. IMO, the contract was one of the worst ever signed by a D1 basketball program.

I don't think it is possible to predict who would have won more games than Calipari has won but his record does not exactly tower above most of UK's former coaches. Based purely on coaching ability, any of the following might have done better, given the built in recruiting advantages that UK offers. I am sure that I have missed some lesser known coaches, but this is a good start. I have also included estimated salaries for each coach listed to give you an idea of what kind of bargain Calipari's current contract is.

NCAA Coaches

Hoot, I feel exactly the same way about Calipari as you. You put down exactly what I am thinking but in a more articulate manner. 
As far as the Wisconsin game, I will add the Calipari started sitting on the ball with only a six point lead with about four or five minutes to go, going away from the faster pace that got UK the lead. This led to consecutive shot clock violations. 
As far as coaches who are better than Calipari, I agree with all except Bill Self. I would replace him with Tom Izzo from Michigan State and Chris Beard from Texas Tech. I also believe Chris Mack at Louisville is a better coach than Calipari. A.W. Hamilton at EKU could be potentially better than Calipari. It's hard to tell until he moves to a bigger school.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-30-2021, 08:15 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 07:49 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:

NCAA Coaches

Hoot, I feel exactly the same way about Calipari as you. You put down exactly what I am thinking but in a more articulate manner. 
As far as the Wisconsin game, I will add the Calipari started sitting on the ball with only a six point lead with about four or five minutes to go, going away from the faster pace that got UK the lead. This led to consecutive shot clock violations. 
As far as coaches who are better than Calipari, I agree with all except Bill Self. I would replace him with Tom Izzo from Michigan State and Chris Beard from Texas Tech. I also believe Chris Mack at Louisville is a better coach than Calipari. A.W. Hamilton at EKU could be potentially better than Calipari. It's hard to tell until he moves to a bigger school.
I did not put a lot of time into the list. I am not a Bill Self fan but his record over the past five years was good enough to put him fairly high on the list that I used as a rough guide. I agree with Mack. In reality, some of the best college coaches work for mid majors and just have not received the national exposure yet that a deep tournament run would give them. 

I also left some pretty good NBA coaches off of the list. I am not sure how well he would have done at UK but I love watching Mike D'antoni coached teams. Steve Nash is in his first head coaching job, but I would be tempted to take a chance on him as a head coach.
How many of those coaches that Hoot listed would (1) give UK a better chance of winning national titles years after year and (2) be willing and available to come to Lexington?

The only one that I would definitely want( and I have wanted him for almost a decade now) is Brad Stevens. I would take him in a heartbeat. Would Brad leave Boston for Lexington? No. Would Few leave Spokane for Lexington? No. His program is better than UK's now.

None of those NBA coaches are leaving their gigs for Lexington. When a better option presents itself and/or if we have couple more 11-15 type seasons , then I'm in agreement about moving on from Cal.
(01-30-2021, 09:28 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: How many of those coaches that Hoot listed would (1) give UK a better chance of winning national titles years after year and (2) be willing and available to come to Lexington?

The only one that I would definitely want( and I have wanted him for almost a decade now) is Brad Stevens. I would take him in a heartbeat.  Would Brad leave Boston for Lexington?  No.    Would Few leave  Spokane for Lexington?  No.  His program is better than UK's now.   

None of those NBA coaches are leaving their gigs for Lexington.  When a better option presents itself  and/or  if we have  couple more  11-15  type seasons , then  I'm  in agreement about moving on from Cal.
Cal has not been doing a great job over the past five years and he is doing a pretty bad job this year in particular. 

How many coaches would turn down an offer to double or triple their salary in exchange for coaching in one of the nation's elite programs? There may be a few exceptions, but in general a basketball coach is no more willing to stay in a position where he makes a third to half the salary that he could make elsewhere than people working in other occupations are.

Calipari has been able to recruit top talent to UK by selling recruits on his ability to prepare them for the NBA. Calipari was a mediocre NBA coach who was fired after a brief NBA career. Why would a more successful NBA coach not be able to sell the same message to recruits?

I am not in favor of firing Calipari. It is not fair to whoever is paying his salary to ask them to shell out $25 million to get rid of him. UK signed a bad contract and the best way to avoid preventing that from happening in the future is to fire the AD and everybody else responsible for that contract, IMO. As for Calipari, UK signed him to a lifetime contract and I think that he should retire whenever he is ready. I just hope that UK learns a lesson from this experience. They apparently did not learn any lessons after hiring Eddie Sutton and Billy Gillispie and negotiating their contracts.
One of the coaches that Hoot listed as better than Cal is Bruce Pearl. I think that is debatable but let's suppose Mr Gibson is right. How many of you folks would want Bruce at the helm of UK? Not only would I not want him coaching my son if I had one, I wouldn't want his sweaty, slimy body near my cheerleader daughter either. He is as skanky as they come, probably as likely as running afoul of the law as he is running afoul of college basketball rules. Having Bruce Almighty sweating all over Rupp Arena would be the basketball equivalent of taking a dump in the nation's Capitol. Unthinkable.
(01-30-2021, 10:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: One of the coaches that Hoot listed as better than Cal is Bruce Pearl.  I think that is debatable but let's suppose Mr Gibson is right.  How  many of you folks would want Bruce at the helm of UK?  Not only would I not want him coaching my son if I had one, I wouldn't want his sweaty, slimy  body near my cheerleader daughter either.  He is as skanky as they come, probably as likely as running afoul of the law as he is running afoul of college basketball rules.  Having  Bruce Almighty sweating all over Rupp Arena  would be the basketball equivalent of taking a dump in the nation's Capitol. Unthinkable.
I never suggested hiring Bruce Pearl. He is hands down a better coach than John Calipari but I would not want him coaching UK. You challenged me to list coaches who would have done a better job coaching UK than Calipari and I produced a long list of coaches. Now, you can debate a few of them individually if you want, but that was not the purpose of the list. The point is there are many better basketball coaches in this country that John Calipari. I would rate Calipari as no better than the fourth best coach in UK history, behind Rupp, Pitino, and Hall. The man is not irreplaceable.

As for ethics, let's not forget that Calipari left the programs at UMass and Memphis in shambles when he left those programs. I know that the NCAA never connected Calipari to the violations at those two schools, which occurred during Calipari's tenure, but at the very least he did not provide proper oversight to the programs that he ran. For that reason, I was disappointed when Kentucky hired Calipari and I would be disappointed if they hired Pearl for the same reason.
(01-30-2021, 11:04 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(01-30-2021, 10:55 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: One of the coaches that Hoot listed as better than Cal is Bruce Pearl.  I think that is debatable but let's suppose Mr Gibson is right.  How  many of you folks would want Bruce at the helm of UK?  Not only would I not want him coaching my son if I had one, I wouldn't want his sweaty, slimy  body near my cheerleader daughter either.  He is as skanky as they come, probably as likely as running afoul of the law as he is running afoul of college basketball rules.  Having  Bruce Almighty sweating all over Rupp Arena  would be the basketball equivalent of taking a dump in the nation's Capitol. Unthinkable.
I never suggested hiring Bruce Pearl. He is hands down a better coach than John Calipari but I would not want him coaching UK. You challenged me to list coaches who would have done a better job coaching UK than Calipari and I produced a long list of coaches. Now, you can debate a few of them individually if you want, but that was not the purpose of the list. The point is there are many better basketball coaches in this country that John Calipari. I would rate Calipari as no better than the fourth best coach in UK history, behind Rupp, Pitino, and Hall. The man is not irreplaceable.

As for ethics, let's not forget that Calipari left the programs at UMass and Memphis in shambles when he left those programs. I know that the NCAA never connected Calipari to the violations at those two schools, which occurred during Calipari's tenure, but at the very least he did not provide proper oversight to the programs that he ran. For that reason, I was disappointed when Kentucky hired Calipari and I would be disappointed if they hired Pearl for the same reason.

I gotcha. That's fair enough, Hoot.

I just think there is a bunch of factors that go into determining whether a man is a good coach.  X's and O's are only part of the equation. Cal is okay as an in-game coach but there are others who are better.  Where Cal has excelled is in motivating these star-studded , highly-prized athletes to buying into his team-first concept and molding them into a championship caliber squad. As I mentioned before, Cal could easily have four championships at UK with a little luck and a couple of things falling into place.

Is there anyone out there right now( willing and available to come here), BGR fans and Cal detractors, that you would be more satisfied with than Cal?