Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Oh Belfry, What have you done?
The Pirates have been on just an incredible run.  That is no new news.  It is also not news that Haywood can always field a competitive team with whatever he is dealt.  Belfry has lost a lot mainly in the skill positions with some good kids to follow, but no Isaac Dixon types as of now.  So what does Haywood do?  Form potentially the most difficult non-district schedule in BHS history.  Give them props, they will not avoid anyone.  As of now here is how the first five look.  The specific dates and order is not stone cold, but they should look like this.

1.  Bowl game in Somerset we believe against Southwestern
2.  Pike County Bowl at Belfry.  Cov Cath
3.  LCA at Belfry
4.  Belfry at Louisville Central
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

And that's not counting Matney and JC at the end.

Good Luck Big Red!
[-] The following 1 user Likes bucslover68's post:
  • cuppett777
Week 1 is against PC.
(01-24-2021, 12:28 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Week 1 is against PC.
That may very well be right.  I was told SW, but PC makes sense since they were supposed to play there this past season.
  • FootballFan1999
Great schedule. RPI could take some big hits if they lose 4 or 5
Haywood isn't shy about competition.
This is a very tough schedule for sure, but like you all have stated, Coach Haywood has never shied away from competition. There is no doubt that he would schedule Trinity if he felt it would better his team. He is the goat for a reason.
Belfry/Louisville Central game is at Belfry not Central. Central comes to Pond Creek.
Belfry should play a schedule like that it. They recruit just like Louisville Trinity but only from West Va and Virginia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bulldogs4Ever's post:
  • Blue_Bird96
(01-24-2021, 02:17 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Belfry should play a schedule like that it.  They recruit just like Louisville Trinity but only from West Va and Virginia.
What you even talking about? Do you honestly believe that Haywood and his staff recruit? Do you think they go to kid's houses or make phone calls to get kids from other schools to come play for them? Do they pay them Tell? Tell us what you mean by that. No recruiting goes on I can assure you of that. Sometimes players come from Williamson or Tug Valley and most come way before they get to high school. And with WV not playing sports this past year and still not, kids come to Belfry just to be able to play. Just like I'm sure kids would leave Belfry to play for a WV school had WV been playing and KY not.
People always say winning teams recruit. Playing in 14 State Championships recruits kids not the coaches. Hayward is the GOAT no doubt about that. As long as Belfry keeps winning state championships kids will want to go play there. Who can blame them. Belfry’s winning does recruit players not the coaches!
[-] The following 1 user Likes watcher's post:
  • Gus McCrae
(01-24-2021, 07:17 PM)watcher Wrote: People always say winning teams recruit.  Playing in 14 State Championships recruits kids not the coaches.  Hayward is the GOAT no doubt about that.  As long as Belfry keeps winning state championships kids will want to go play there.  Who can blame them. Belfry’s winning does recruit players not the coaches!
Agreed. It's easy to point a finger and accuse. Pikeville gets accused of the same thing but Championships does it's own recruiting. Kids want to be part of success and will be willing to transfer for that reason. Just keep on winning !!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gus McCrae's post:
  • cuppett777
(01-24-2021, 02:17 PM)Bulldogs4Ever Wrote: Belfry should play a schedule like that it.  They recruit just like Louisville Trinity but only from West Va and Virginia.
lol.
(01-24-2021, 07:17 PM)watcher Wrote: People always say winning teams recruit.  Playing in 14 State Championships recruits kids not the coaches.  Hayward is the GOAT no doubt about that.  As long as Belfry keeps winning state championships kids will want to go play there.  Who can blame them. Belfry’s winning does recruit players not the coaches!

Saying teams  like Belfry don't recruit is like saying the media is honest. We all know littlle schools at wide spot in the road can't compete for a state championship every year without recruiting. The being a good team BS causes you to not have to recruit is comical. lol
(01-25-2021, 02:07 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

Saying teams  like Belfry don't recruit is like saying the media is honest. We all know littlle schools at wide spot in the road can't compete for a state championship every year without recruiting. The being a good team BS causes you to not have to recruit is comical. lol
This quote coming from pjdoug whose team has never won anything of any significance at any time in history.
[-] The following 2 users Like bucslover68's post:
  • cuppett777, PHSForever
(01-24-2021, 12:52 PM)Strikeout King Wrote: Belfry/Louisville Central game is at Belfry not Central. Central comes to Pond Creek.
I believe you are correct. What a home schedule! I pray COVID is under control and we can have normal games.
  • cuppett777
Best case scenario, 6-4.
Worst case scenario, 3-7 (lose to either Lawrence County or Pike Central)

Most likely situation, 5-5.
(01-25-2021, 10:52 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Best case scenario, 6-4.

I think Belfry will finish in the range of 5-5 to 7-3 with the losses coming to Cov Cath, LCA, and Johnson Central, Central, and possibly Pikeville. Think they win all district games and Pulaski. Pikeville will be the favorite going into the game next year I believe due to what Belfry lost and what Pikeville returns. Who will be the featured running back for Belfry since Dixon graduates?
Theres 2 sides to this. This is the schedule of a team that thinks they will be good and they will be prepared for anything come playoff time. On the flip side we are in an age now in kentucky where Belfry has little choice of who to play. Many cowards in the state who won't play anybody, more than it has ever been. The good teams are consolidating into schudule blocs and getting better because of it. The credit shouldn't be what it once was though. They don't have any choice. Nobody else will play.
(01-25-2021, 11:40 AM)pirateforlife Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 10:52 AM)EKUAlum05 Wrote: Best case scenario, 6-4.

I think Belfry will finish in the range of 5-5 to 7-3 with the losses coming to Cov Cath, LCA, and Johnson Central, Central, and possibly Pikeville. Think they win all district games and Pulaski. Pikeville will be the favorite going into the game next year I believe due to what Belfry lost and what Pikeville returns. Who will be the featured running back for Belfry since Dixon graduates?
Belfry is the top dog in 3A District 8 and will be until someone knocks them off but “DO NOT” discount Lawrence County or Pike County Central. Both teams bring back a lot.

Lawrence County lost almost no one that contributed. LC started out with 14 seniors to start the year but only had 8 seniors for the last game against Pike Central only 4 played. One offensive lineman, a defensive lineman, a cornerback, and a back up RB. Lawrence Co brings back over 90% of their offensive output and 90% of their defensive  output back. Losing Davis will hurt but Ferguson, Fletcher, and Strickland should all have big years behind a line that only loses one starter. 

Pike Central loses a big class of 15 with Bentley leading the way which is a huge loss, Slone will hurt a lot of D, and a few lineman. PC will still be tough with Anderson, Iricks, and Boykins. If they can build a line to protect them, watch out. 

I think this district will be a battle next year with Belfry losing what they lost and LC and PC bringing back what they bring back.
We go 0-5, win our trash district, get beat by JC for a 4-6 record. It’s a definite rebuilding year, with possibly another similar year to follow. We’ll deal with it and move on. I just hope we can keep that kind of schedule over the next 4-5 years when we’re ready to compete again.

To the Lawrence county crybaby that acts like Haywood recruits, go put your head up your own ass and then count how many Wayne Co. WV players walked the halls in your school. Your hypocrisy is almost as evident as your stupidity.
BELFRY will go 6-4 in regular season and by playoff time I would not want to play them. They have a real good sophomore and freshman class
(01-26-2021, 08:23 AM)Warriorhawk17 Wrote: BELFRY will go 6-4 in regular season and by playoff time I would not want to play them. They have a real good sophomore and freshman class
The best thing going for Belfry is 3A is not an incredibly difficult class right now and every team of substance not named Mercer County or Glasgow seems to have massive holes of their own.

If Belfry can win their District they have a legit chance of reaching the Semi-Finals just because nothing in the Bell County or Fleming County District is very scary on paper. As long as you aren't the 4 seed in the East you can draw the winner of one of those Districts.
(01-25-2021, 04:08 AM)bucslover68 Wrote:
(01-25-2021, 02:07 AM)pjdoug Wrote:

This quote coming from pjdoug whose team has never won anything of any significance at any time in history.

Because they don't recruit in Tennessee.duh
What do you all mean by recruit, paying players/families or coaches, players or whoever just talking to them?

I see nothing wrong with taking to families about their options and letting them decided, money changing hands is a different story though.
pjdoug Wrote:
watcher Wrote:People always say winning teams recruit.  Playing in 14 State Championships recruits kids not the coaches.  Hayward is the GOAT no doubt about that.  As long as Belfry keeps winning state championships kids will want to go play there.  Who can blame them. Belfry’s winning does recruit players not the coaches!

Now dougie…..why do you want to go down this road again? Smile   This has been beaten to death.   Do kids transfer to Belfry from WVA?  Yes.   99.9% of those kids all live within 3-6 miles from the school building.   Whether you want to admit it or not....playing for Coach Haywood is a big incentive.  Proximity, nice school, top notch facilities....those are all important vs driving 40-45 minutes away to the nearest school in Mingo.   For the other poster who asked about "paying" and money changing hands.....No Belfry isn't involved in anything like that.     To the other poster that mentioned Virginia kids......I could be wrong....but I simply cannot remember any player transferring from Virginia.   If another Belfry poster knows of one, please post it.   I've been around the program a LONG time.....I just don't remember anyone.    BTW Dougie…...I'm glad you're feeling better.  I hadn't seen much activity out of you....even on the Whitley Coaching thread....glad you're doing well my friend.

bucslover68 Wrote:The Pirates have been on just an incredible run.  That is no new news.  It is also not news that Haywood can always field a competitive team with whatever he is dealt.  Belfry has lost a lot mainly in the skill positions with some good kids to follow, but no Isaac Dixon types as of now.  So what does Haywood do?  Form potentially the most difficult non-district schedule in BHS history.  Give them props, they will not avoid anyone.  As of now here is how the first five look.  The specific dates and order is not stone cold, but they should look like this.

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
Very daunting schedule for a program that is in full rebuild mode.  I definitely see the Pirates taking another step back this upcoming season.   A lot of holes to fill.
(02-02-2021, 02:19 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
pjdoug Wrote:
watcher Wrote:People always say winning teams recruit.  Playing in 14 State Championships recruits kids not the coaches.  Hayward is the GOAT no doubt about that.  As long as Belfry keeps winning state championships kids will want to go play there.  Who can blame them. Belfry’s winning does recruit players not the coaches!

Now dougie…..why do you want to go down this road again? Smile   This has been beaten to death.   Do kids transfer to Belfry from WVA?  Yes.   99.9% of those kids all live within 3-6 miles from the school building.   Whether you want to admit it or not....playing for Coach Haywood is a big incentive.  Proximity, nice school, top notch facilities....those are all important vs driving 40-45 minutes away to the nearest school in Mingo.   For the other poster who asked about "paying" and money changing hands.....No Belfry isn't involved in anything like that.     To the other poster that mentioned Virginia kids......I could be wrong....but I simply cannot remember any player transferring from Virginia.   If another Belfry poster knows of one, please post it.   I've been around the program a LONG time.....I just don't remember anyone.    BTW Dougie…...I'm glad you're feeling better.  I hadn't seen much activity out of you....even on the Whitley Coaching thread....glad you're doing well my friend.

bucslover68 Wrote:The Pirates have been on just an incredible run.  That is no new news.  It is also not news that Haywood can always field a competitive team with whatever he is dealt.  Belfry has lost a lot mainly in the skill positions with some good kids to follow, but no Isaac Dixon types as of now.  So what does Haywood do?  Form potentially the most difficult non-district schedule in BHS history.  Give them props, they will not avoid anyone.  As of now here is how the first five look.  The specific dates and order is not stone cold, but they should look like this.

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
Very daunting schedule for a program that is in full rebuild mode.  I definitely see the Pirates taking another step back this upcoming season.   A lot of holes to fill.
I hope you're doing well and wish all of you nothing but the best, but you know I'm gonna poke a little when the  fertilizer is being spread .lol. I've had a rough time but I never ever give up.  I'll make it through stormy weather and awake to clear sailing  Smile . Don't ever take what I say personally  . I love my fellow Kentuckians and West Virginians Smile
(02-02-2021, 02:19 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
pjdoug Wrote:

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
I have absolutely no problem with kids transferring. I believe kids should be able to go where they want. But to say 99.9% of the West Virginia kids that transfer to Belfry live 3-6 miles from campus just isn’t true. The majority come from Delbarton, Nolan, Lenore, Kermit, Dingess, and Matewan which are considerably further than 6 miles from Belfrys campus. Delbarton and Matewan being the closest at around 15 miles each from Belfrys campus.
fewfirstchoice Wrote:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
pjdoug Wrote:

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
I have absolutely no problem with kids transferring. I believe kids should be able to go where they want. But to say 99.9% of the West Virginia kids that transfer to Belfry live 3-6 miles from campus just isn’t true. The majority come from Delbarton, Nolan, Lenore, Kermit, Dingess, and Matewan which are considerably further than 6 miles from Belfrys campus. Delbarton and Matewan being the closest at around 15 miles each from Belfrys campus.
Sounds like to me...you're the expert on Belfry.   Neither Delbarton nor Matewan are 15 miles from the school....I should know....my wife is from there.   Now in all fairness...Lenore would be about 15 miles from the campus.... and I do know of a couple of kids who lived there.  Nolan is about 6 miles away....right up 119.   Dingess and Kermit??   Not saying Belfy's NEVER had kids from either.....but if so....I wasn't aware of it.
(02-04-2021, 01:36 PM)OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
fewfirstchoice Wrote:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
pjdoug Wrote:

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
Sounds like to me...you're the expert on Belfry.   Neither Delbarton nor Matewan are 15 miles from the school....I should know....my wife is from there.   Now in all fairness...Lenore would be about 15 miles from the campus.... and I do know of a couple of kids who lived there.  Nolan is about 6 miles away....right up 119.   Dingess and Kermit??   Not saying Belfy's NEVER had kids from either.....but if so....I wasn't aware of it.
I know Belfry pretty well. I’ve worked in the area for many years along with my whole family. The Nolan Toll bridge is right at 8 miles from the high school coming straight up 119. You’re correct Delbarton and Matewan aren’t 15 miles away both are right at 13 miles away, my bad. My many years traveling over there and GPS are pretty spot on. I’m not going to name any kids names but Belfry has 2 kids from Kermit on the team right now and 1 from Dingess. Saying this I don’t care just don’t try to make an argument on misleading information. I don’t care if the kid lives 100 miles away if they want to attend Belfry they should be allowed to IMO.
fewfirstchoice Wrote:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
fewfirstchoice Wrote:
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:
pjdoug Wrote:Saying teams  like Belfry don't recruit is like saying the media is honest. We all know littlle schools at wide spot in the road can't compete for a state championship every year without recruiting. The being a good team BS causes you to not have to recruit is comical. lol

3.  LCA at Belfry
5.  Pikeville at Belfry.

Good Luck Big Red!
I know Belfry pretty well. I’ve worked in the area for many years along with my whole family. The Nolan Toll bridge is right at 8 miles from the high school coming straight up 119. You’re correct Delbarton and Matewan aren’t 15 miles away both are right at 13 miles away, my bad. My many years traveling over there and GPS are pretty spot on. I’m not going to name any kids names but Belfry has 2 kids from Kermit on the team right now and 1 from Dingess. Saying this I don’t care just don’t try to make an argument on misleading information. I don’t care if the kid lives 100 miles away if they want to attend Belfry they should be allowed to IMO.
Well...I'm not as tuned in to this current team as I have been in the past.  Covid, Graduation and other coaching duties away from the area have distanced me from the program since 2019