Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
"Odd " Foods That You Enjoy ???
The other food thread got me to thinking about some of the odd things people like to eat. I'd like to hear some of your strange food choices. Or maybe it's not the dish itself that is odd but maybe something you like to eat it in combination with that makes people stare at you kinda funny.  Also, feel free to talk about a food that you hated earlier in life but you enjoy now, or vice versa.

From the time I was very young, I have liked to put mayonnaise in my soup beans. My dad did this when I was a kid and , like most boys, I wanted to be like dad.  If I don't have a glob of mayonnaise to put in my beans, it's just not the same. On more than one occasion when I have ordered a bowl of pintos at Cracker Barrel and asked for some mayonnaise to put in them, the server looked at me like it was the strangest request ever. LOL

Also, from the time I was little, my pawpaw made pickled corn. That's right, pickled corn !  He would can jars of pickled corn every year. I HATED IT!!!!   Now, I LOVE IT !!!   It is definitely an acquired taste for mature palettes , I guess. When I mention pickled corn to people, especially people a lot younger than me, they look at me like I'm crazy. Most have never even heard of it. I especially love it around the holidays.

What are some of the more bizarre food choices you or someone in your family enjoys?
I dip french fries and potato chips in mayonnaise. I put potato chips on my bologna sandwich.
My oldest son and I put syrup on our scrambled eggs.
Before I fill my bowl with chili, I put a glob of apple jelly in the bottom of the bowl. I don't think it's strange. My kids will look at me like I have two heads and tell me how weird I am.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-23-2021, 03:49 PM)Jarons Wrote: I dip french fries and potato chips in mayonnaise. I put potato chips on my bologna sandwich.
My oldest son and I put syrup on our scrambled eggs.
Before I fill my bowl with chili, I put a glob of apple jelly in the bottom of the bowl. I don't think it's strange. My kids will look at me like I have two heads and tell me how weird I am.

Jarons, you're disgusting !  LOL

I have done the potato chips on bologna sandwich many times.  Love it !

My thing with eggs is ketchup. Love eggs and ketchup!!!

Who would eat a damned green olive... they're awful. But I do! Last night , I had some creamed cheese, potato chips, and green olives. I never eat olives unless I have some sort of cheese. Vermont White Cheddar (Extra Sharp) with crackers and green olives... nice snack!!!
We always pickled some corn. We also pickled green beans, and that was one of my favorites when I was a kid. I think I'll make some this summer when I'm canning!!

We also strung up whole beans on white twine, and threw them over the clothes line to dry. Shuck beans, leather britches....I've heard them called several things. I haven't had any since my mom passed away in 2004. That was always what she fixed when we had Thanksgiving dinners.

My grandmother liked pigs brains in her scrambled eggs. I accidently walked in the kitchen when she was eating those, and threw up like a fire hose. Whenever we killed hogs, mom would put the whole head in the fridge to save to make souse meat. Anybody ever eat that? It's also disgusting!
(01-23-2021, 04:40 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: We always pickled some corn.  We also pickled green beans, and that was one of my favorites when I was a kid.  I think I'll make some this summer when I'm canning!!

We also strung up whole beans on white twine, and threw them over the clothes line to dry.  Shuck beans, leather britches....I've heard them called several things.  I haven't had any since my mom passed away in 2004.  That was always what she fixed when we had Thanksgiving dinners.

My grandmother liked pigs brains in her scrambled eggs.  I accidently walked in the kitchen when she was eating those, and threw up like a fire hose.  Whenever we killed hogs, mom would put the whole head in the fridge to save to make souse meat.  Anybody ever eat that?  It's also disgusting!

My grandmother used to make leather britches. I couldn't stand them.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-23-2021, 04:40 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: We always pickled some corn.  We also pickled green beans, and that was one of my favorites when I was a kid.  I think I'll make some this summer when I'm canning!!

We also strung up whole beans on white twine, and threw them over the clothes line to dry.  Shuck beans, leather britches....I've heard them called several things.  I haven't had any since my mom passed away in 2004.  That was always what she fixed when we had Thanksgiving dinners.

My grandmother liked pigs brains in her scrambled eggs.  I accidently walked in the kitchen when she was eating those, and threw up like a fire hose.  Whenever we killed hogs, mom would put the whole head in the fridge to save to make souse meat.  Anybody ever eat that?  It's also disgusting!

Oh my gosh, I  LOVE  shuck beans !!!!   My grandparents had them quite often- my favorite green bean.    I can still see my granny and pawpaw sitting on their back porch breaking up beans. They would take an old screen door and lay the beans out on it to dry in the sun.  Great memories!

(01-23-2021, 04:43 PM)Jarons Wrote:

Shuck beans, you hate,  but apple jelly with chili you love.  You're an odd fellow, Jarons.   LOL
[-] The following 2 users Like Old School Hound's post:
  • Granny Bear, Jarons
(01-23-2021, 04:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Oh my gosh, I  LOVE  shuck beans !!!!   My grandparents had them quite often- my favorite green bean.    I can still see my granny and pawpaw sitting on their back porch breaking up beans. They would take an old screen door and lay the beans out on it to dry in the sun.  Great memories!

Shuck beans, you hate,  but apple jelly with chili you love.  You're an odd fellow, Jarons.   LOL

LOL!! It takes all kinds to make the world go around. 
How do you feel about pepperoni or smoked sausage in your spaghetti sauce? A favorite with my boys and I.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I used to love that Jarons, but I don't eat processed meat anymore. Cholesterol.

I remember my daddy curing the hams that we would butcher up. He would rub the salt on with his hands. He had a scar on his pointer finger around the second joint. When the hams dehydrated to the point that the bone stuck out enough to reach that scar, the curing was complete.
(01-23-2021, 05:09 PM)Jarons Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 04:51 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

LOL!! It takes all kinds to make the world go around. 
How do you feel about pepperoni or smoked sausage in your spaghetti sauce? A favorite with my boys and I.

A hellava lot better than I feel about apple jelly chili !!!   LOL
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • Granny Bear
Shuck beans!! Hadn’t had them in years. I have an older lady that comes in where I work once a month, I’ve always tried to help her with whatever she needed. Then lo and behold about three autumns ago, she came in with a big bag of shuck beans to thank me for helping her. And now she has every fall since. Love her. And really love shuck beans!!
(01-23-2021, 08:18 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Shuck beans!! Hadn’t had them in years. I have an older lady that comes in where I work once a month, I’ve always tried to help her with whatever she needed. Then lo and behold about three autumns ago, she came in with a big bag of shuck beans to thank me for helping her. And now she has every fall since. Love her. And really love shuck beans!!

Could eat a whole potful right now. Smile

How about cornbread and milk? Always a good late-night treat. My pawpaw would take a big piece of cornbread left over from supper and crumble it up in big ole glass of buttermilk. I prefer the sweet milk.
I like peanut butter with chili. ( Okay, Jarons) I like to dip my peanut butter sandwich in my chili. Same for vegetable soup. Insert peanut butter sandwich into chili or soup then insert sandwich into mouth. Then smile.
I used to think I ate some strange food combinations, but this thread has made me realize I am normal, and you all are a bunch of freaks. Thank you!!!!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Westside's post:
  • Jarons
(01-23-2021, 09:18 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(01-23-2021, 08:18 PM)Van Hagar Wrote: Shuck beans!! Hadn’t had them in years. I have an older lady that comes in where I work once a month, I’ve always tried to help her with whatever she needed. Then lo and behold about three autumns ago, she came in with a big bag of shuck beans to thank me for helping her. And now she has every fall since. Love her. And really love shuck beans!!

How about cornbread and milk?  Always a good late-night treat.  My pawpaw would take a big piece of cornbread left over from supper and crumble it up in big ole glass of  buttermilk. I prefer the sweet milk.

I don't think this is strange at all.  It's a southern thang.  The only problem I have with it is that I always get choked eating it.
(01-24-2021, 01:38 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I like peanut butter with chili. ( Okay, Jarons)  I like to dip my peanut butter sandwich in my chili.  Same for vegetable soup. Insert peanut butter sandwich into chili or soup then insert sandwich into mouth.  Then smile.

Dipping peanut butter and jelly sandwich in chili is the best part about eating chili.  That's how I discovered the wonderful and delicious jelly in the chili.  Some jelly fell in my chili.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
(01-24-2021, 01:38 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I like peanut butter with chili. ( Okay, Jarons) I like to dip my peanut butter sandwich in my chili. Same for vegetable soup. Insert peanut butter sandwich into chili or soup then insert sandwich into mouth. Then smile.

I just spoon peanut butter straight from the jar and dip it in my soup, then take the spoon back out and eat it. I’ve eaten either Campbell’s Chunky and peanut butter or leftovers from home at work for lunch probably 95% of the time in last 26 years. (Tip for young adults just starting out—take your lunch to work, don’t eat out. Saves a huge amount of $$$ over course of a year. Hope my youngest reads this.)
(01-24-2021, 06:59 AM)Westside Wrote:

How about cornbread and milk?  Always a good late-night treat.  My pawpaw would take a big piece of cornbread left over from supper and crumble it up in big ole glass of  buttermilk. I prefer the sweet milk.

I don't think this is strange at all.  It's a southern thang.  The only problem I have with it is that I always get choked eating it.

Hiatal hernia???
(01-24-2021, 08:48 AM)Van Hagar Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 01:38 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: I like peanut butter with chili. ( Okay, Jarons)  I like to dip my peanut butter sandwich in my chili.  Same for vegetable soup. Insert peanut butter sandwich into chili or soup then insert sandwich into mouth.  Then smile.

I just spoon peanut butter straight from the jar and dip it in my soup, then take the spoon back out and eat it. I’ve  eaten either Campbell’s Chunky and peanut butter or leftovers from home at work for lunch probably 95% of the time in last 26 years. (Tip for young adults just starting out—take your lunch to work, don’t eat out. Saves a huge amount of $$$ over course of a year. Hope my youngest reads this.)

Yep, for times when I have found myself out of bread, I'll just spoon me out a glob of PB  and into the chili it goes.
I like to do the same thing with a tuna fish sandwich and tomato soup. Dip into soup and insert into mouth.
Anyone remember cracklin' bread?
(01-25-2021, 11:27 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: Anyone remember cracklin' bread?

Yep.  My granny used to make cracklings.
(01-24-2021, 11:01 AM)Granny Bear Wrote:
(01-24-2021, 06:59 AM)Westside Wrote:

Hiatal hernia???

I'm not sure what it was.
I just tried Gjetost (Norwegian brown cheese) for the first time and it will probably become part of one of my go-to breakfasts. It is made by cooking down whey, which is a by product of the cheese making process with milk or cream, until it caramelizes into a cheese-like product. It is part of one of the most popular quick breakfasts in Norway. People place thin slices of brown cheese on toast or thin waffles and then spread fruit preserves on it. It is made from cow's milk or a combination of cow and goat milk.

It is said that most people either love or hate brown cheese. For me, it was love at first bite. It is not easy to find in the U.S., but our local Wegman's grocery store carries it.
I've never heard of that Hoot.
(03-30-2021, 10:32 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: I've never heard of that Hoot.
I've been binge watching some entertaining YouTube travel channels and I also subscribe to several cooking channels. YouTube's algorithm suggested some Norwegian videos to me and one of them included Norwegian breakfasts.

Not long after we were married, my wife and I took a two week trip across the north shore of Lake Superior. In Wisconsin, we tried chocolate cheese and loved it. I have never eaten it since. Brown cheese reminded me of that experience, so I decided to give it a shot. So, for the past three days, my breakfast has consisted of two English crumpets spread with butter, brown cheese, and raspberry preserves. I highly recommend the combination. Brown cheese is also a great source of vitamin B12. I also highly recommend chocolate cheese if you every have a chance to try it.

I recently tried a popular English breakfast that includes Marmite, which I had not heard of until recently. The Brits spread butter and a very thin layer of Marmite on toast. They say that it is another food that people tend to love or hate. So far, I am firmly in the hate column. The stuff is disgusting. I spread it on a crumpet and I thought I was spreading it very thin but I must have used too much. Yuck!

Marmite is very nutritious and it is a great source of B complex vitamins. It is a yeast extract and a byproduct of beer brewing. Similar products, such as Vegemite are sold in countries such as Australia. Small amounts are often added to stews. I plan to add a teaspoon to the next batch of chili that I make. Supposedly, it intensifies meat flavor in dishes the way that MSG and soy sauce does. Marmite is very salty.
Well, I've never had chocolate cheese either!

I need to get out more.