Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Whitley County Head Coaching Search
Anyone hearing anything?
I’ve only seen some talk of someone from the middle school seems to have interest.

I think if I were Whitley County and a search is on, you’d see if some assistant coach in a program that has a winning record or maybe recent state championship is even interested. A few phone calls from someone assisting with hiring or on a committee putting feelers out there.

I’d think Whitley could be an attractive job. They have a nice stadium. There’s talent in the area and you could be very competitive. I think there’s more to like than not about the job.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • OldColonel
I've talked to 3 coaches that I thought would be interested in Whitley Co job. All 3 told me not interested in the slightest, which surprised me a bit.

Are there any TN guys that might be interested?
From everything I’ve heard and seen the last couple of years has been the first time for as long as I can remember that Whitley Co has not been interested in doing a political hire. I thought Irwin was the prefect fit, if they could find someone similar it would be huge for the program. The bingo money should make this an attractive job for a lot of coaches, the right person with the know how, could really build something there...
[-] The following 1 user Likes TD Hounds's post:
  • OldColonel
(01-07-2021, 04:59 PM)CowboyDad Wrote: I’ve only seen some talk of someone from the middle school seems to have interest.

I think if I were Whitley County and a search is on, you’d see if some assistant coach in a program that has a winning record or maybe recent state championship is even interested. A few phone calls from someone assisting  with hiring or on a committee putting feelers out there.

I’d think Whitley could be an attractive job. They have a nice stadium. There’s  talent in the area and you could be very competitive. I think there’s more to like than not about the job.
That rumor about a middle school coach was started by the interested party or one of his relatives.  Believe me when I tell you there is zero interest from the administration in hiring anyone that currently coaches at the middle school, period!
[-] The following 1 user Likes OldColonel's post:
  • CowboyDad
I am curious about the hire they make. I know there has to be someone out there looking for a head coaching job and teaching gig. Heck, I could name a few folks to call but I’m not on the hiring committee. I know one that lives in Scott County Tennessee that coaches in Anderson County Tennessee that might entertain the idea.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • OldColonel
i hear double digit applicants......
some young but experienced. good bloodlines are in that stack.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KEEPITREAL's post:
  • OldColonel
I heard this morning they were looking strongly at Mark Payne from Southwestern
They must be keeping it close to the vest. No one is hearing anything?
Was told Steve Jewell is a new front runner, come in for a few years and hand the reigns off to his son. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, also not sure if it's true, but it's definitely being talked about by people.
Imo that would be a disaster
(01-11-2021, 09:57 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: Imo that would be a disaster

I tend to agree if I remember correctly one year he lost to South Laurel, Williamsburg, and Bell County in consecutive weeks and frankly it's hard to deny that Corbin was vastly improved after his departure. Then on top of all of that if the deal requires you to handcuff yourself with your next coach after him, it just seems like a recipe for disaster.
(01-12-2021, 01:38 AM)fridaynightfights Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 09:57 PM)TD Hounds Wrote: Imo that would be a disaster

I tend to agree if I remember correctly one year he lost to South Laurel, Williamsburg, and Bell County in consecutive weeks and frankly it's hard to deny that Corbin was vastly improved after his departure. Then on top of all of that if the deal requires you to handcuff yourself with your next coach after him, it just seems like a recipe for disaster.

The one thing Whitley needs to stay away from is politics, it’s been horrible there and is a big reason the program has suffered, hiring someone like Jewell would only serve to make it worse.
thoughts on the mark payne hire?
(01-12-2021, 11:33 AM)KEEPITREAL Wrote: thoughts on the mark payne hire?

Did they actually hire Mark Payne or you just asking for thoughts on him as a candidate?
(01-12-2021, 12:20 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

Did they actually hire Mark Payne or you just asking for thoughts on him as a candidate?
I was about to ask the same question.
(01-12-2021, 12:20 PM)fridaynightfights Wrote:

AS A CANDIDATE....
I could be a little biased but I think Mark Payne would be a great hire!!!
Please stop calling me Whitley County. I don’t want the job....I would take how ever the job as bingo president.
[-] The following 1 user Likes 64SUR's post:
  • BEChargers
Hearing top choice is an assistant from the Cumberlands.
Jay Bright may be Whitleys new man...
the cumberlands assistant.

larue co guys out...
somerset guy is out...
southwestern guy is out...
souths ol coach is out...
the staff guys that applied... out.

bright played under bland at cumberland and coached under his at mississippi college.....
bland is close to the program at whitley.

just my opinion  Tongue

(01-13-2021, 12:17 PM)KEEPITREAL Wrote: zeke eier may be Whitleys new man...
the cumberlands assistant.

larue co guys out...
somerset guy is out...
southwestern guy is out...
souths ol coach is out...
the staff guys that applied... out.

bright played under bland at cumberland and coached under his at mississippi college.....
bland is close to the program at whitley.

just my opinion  Tongue
Are we talking about bright or Eier? Saw both in the posts and got confused.
(01-13-2021, 02:29 PM)UCfan1 Wrote: Are we talking about bright or Eier? Saw both in the posts and got confused.

I just heard that Eier has been hired as the next Whitley HC
Heard the same from good source
(01-13-2021, 03:49 PM)fansville Wrote:
(01-13-2021, 02:29 PM)UCfan1 Wrote: Are we talking about bright or Eier? Saw both in the posts and got confused.

I just heard that Eier has been hired as the next Whitley HC
Who is he?  What does his resume look like?  Has it been announced publicly?

Looks like it’s official. The article is very basic. Does anyone have any other information on his resume? https://www.thetimestribune.com/sports/w...912d5.html
I'm really curious about his resume, looks really young and I wouldn't have imagined a position coach at Cumberlands would be their top choice.
[-] The following 1 user Likes fridaynightfights's post:
  • OldColonel
I am sure the great Whitley faithful are excited about this hire. Lol
[-] The following 1 user Likes Bossdaddy 4115's post:
  • FootballFan1999
Seems like a strange hire for HC at a 5A school to me. A 28ish yr old coach who is a rb coach at Cumberlands with no coordinator or HC experience over all of the other experienced guys that applied. Maybe I’m missing something or he is just a up and coming coaching stud. Either way, good luck to Whitley and their new staff
Can’t say much more than good luck. I can’t decide why this hire but whatever. Hope it pays off.
(01-12-2021, 10:29 PM)64SUR Wrote: Please stop calling me Whitley County.  I don’t want the job....I would take how ever the job as bingo president.

I wouldn't hire you as waterboy. git yer hind end out of here.
[-] The following 1 user Likes pjdoug's post:
  • TD Hounds