Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Republican Governors making sense
There are some Republican Governors out there that live on the Planet Earth and are focused on doing what’s best for their state.  

I want to say Kudos to Jim Justice of West Virginia. 

This week he called out some colleagues in his party that are idiots and some on the other side that aren’t pushing for enough for Americans.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/transcript-...y-28-2021/
Every time I hear the name Jim Justice I think of a guy here in town that lived in my neighborhood growing up. Dude is so conservative he's probably far to the right of Jim Justice, the governor.   Corbin's Jim has walked three miles, same path, everyday for probably fifty years or more.  Rain, snow, ice, tornados, doesn't matter, Jim and his wife get their three miles in. Jim has easily walked the equivalent of around the world twice.  Smile

I'm thinking there was some controversy surrounding Jim Justice, the governor, a few years back, Can't remember what it was. He's obviously not a complete idiot. Lots of poor people in WVA.  West Virginian's are wanting their checks.
(03-07-2021, 03:36 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Every time I hear the name Jim Justice I think of a guy here in town that lived in my neighborhood growing up. Dude is so conservative he's probably far to the right of Jim Justice, the governor.   Corbin's Jim has walked three miles, same path, everyday for probably fifty years or more.  Rain, snow, ice, tornados, doesn't matter, Jim and his wife get their three miles in. Jim has easily walked the equivalent of around the world twice.  Smile

I'm thinking there was some controversy surrounding Jim Justice, the governor, a few years back, Can't remember what it was. He's obviously not a complete idiot. Lots of poor people in WVA.  West Virginian's are wanting their checks.
ole Jim is a big coal man.  He would feed school children coal if he could, but for COVID response and COVID relief he has demonstrated some common sense.
(03-07-2021, 03:36 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: Every time I hear the name Jim Justice I think of a guy here in town that lived in my neighborhood growing up. Dude is so conservative he's probably far to the right of Jim Justice, the governor.   Corbin's Jim has walked three miles, same path, everyday for probably fifty years or more.  Rain, snow, ice, tornados, doesn't matter, Jim and his wife get their three miles in. Jim has easily walked the equivalent of around the world twice.  Smile

He owes over 125 million dollars in judgements on unpaid bills and taxes, much of it to companies in KY plus the state of Ky.
(03-08-2021, 06:24 PM)The Outsider Wrote:

He owes over 125 million dollars in judgements on unpaid bills and taxes, much of it to companies in KY plus the state of Ky.
That's it !!!!   That's what I remember hearing awhile back.

(03-08-2021, 07:54 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

That's it !!!!   Doesn't pay his bills.  That's what I remember hearing awhile back. 

That's it !!!!   That's what I remember hearing awhile back.

That's it !!!!   Doesn't pay his bills.  That's what I remember hearing awhile back. 

A friend of mine from the area sued one of his coal companies 3-4 years ago and won a good sized judgement, still hasn't seen a dime of it yet.
The assumption that companies that go bankrupt do so to avoid "paying their bills" shows a deep ignorance of our economic and legal systems. Some of the best managed and most ethical coal mining companies in this country went bankrupt during and after the Obama/Biden War on Coal. Plummeting gas prices resulting from the increased production achieved through an increased usage of fracking helped speed their demise.

Coal mining companies have historically operated with much lower profit margins than companies in many other sectors of the economy, so as a rule, they do not operate with huge reserves of cash on hand. When the price of coal drops quickly and/or costs quickly skyrocket, coal companies begin operating as a deficit. When mines are temporarily closed, fixed prices to maintain mines to the point that they may be reopened later when prices recover are high compared to most industries. Mines have to be inspected by law, pumps and ventilation fans must continue to run, etc.

The assumption that companies that file bankruptcy could pay their creditors if they wanted to do so is almost always untrue and if bankruptcy courts find that individuals have hidden assets from them, somebody generally is charge with criminal offenses and sent to jail.

Liberals who spread this kind of misinformation, with absolutely no evidence, make me sick. This is the kind of attitude that drives companies to offshore manufacturing operations to countries that appreciate the risks that companies take by investing in businesses that provide jobs and wealth. I don't really know anything about Jim Justice but I suspect that he would not have been electable if he had a reputation of being a shady operator as you have implied that he is.
(03-09-2021, 01:51 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The assumption that companies that go bankrupt do so to avoid "paying their bills" shows a deep ignorance of our economic and legal systems. Some of the best managed and most ethical coal mining companies in this country went bankrupt during and after the Obama/Biden War on Coal. Plummeting gas prices resulting from the increased production achieved through an increased usage of fracking helped speed their demise.

Coal mining companies have historically operated with much lower profit margins than companies in many other sectors of the economy, so as a rule, they do not operate with huge reserves of cash on hand. When the price of coal drops quickly and/or costs quickly skyrocket, coal companies begin operating as a deficit. When mines are temporarily closed, fixed prices to maintain mines to the point that they may be reopened later when prices recover are high compared to most industries. Mines have to be inspected by law, pumps and ventilation fans must continue to run, etc.

The assumption that companies that file bankruptcy could pay their creditors if they wanted to do so is almost always untrue and if bankruptcy courts find that individuals have hidden assets from them, somebody generally is charge with criminal offenses and sent to jail.

Liberals who spread this kind of misinformation, with absolutely no evidence, make me sick. This is the kind of attitude that drives companies to offshore manufacturing operations to countries that appreciate the risks that companies take by investing in businesses that provide jobs and wealth. I don't really know anything about Jim Justice but I suspect that he would not have been electable if he had a reputation of being a shady operator as you have implied that he is.
Obviously you can hold the highest office in the Country and be a flim-flam man.  Here are some links to stories on Justice, who has a net worth of 1.5 billion.

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/article231515148.html

https://www.propublica.org/article/see-whos-taken-billionaire-gov-jim-justice-to-court-over-unpaid-bills

https://www.governing.com/archive/tns-justice-virginia-taxes-governor-kentucky.html

(03-09-2021, 03:24 PM)The Outsider Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 01:51 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The assumption that companies that go bankrupt do so to avoid "paying their bills" shows a deep ignorance of our economic and legal systems. Some of the best managed and most ethical coal mining companies in this country went bankrupt during and after the Obama/Biden War on Coal. Plummeting gas prices resulting from the increased production achieved through an increased usage of fracking helped speed their demise.

Obviously you can hold the highest office in the Country and be a flim-flam man.  Here are some links to stories on Justice, who has a net worth of 1.5 billion.

https://www.propublica.org/article/see-whos-taken-billionaire-gov-jim-justice-to-court-over-unpaid-bills

https://www.governing.com/archive/tns-justice-virginia-taxes-governor-kentucky.html

You do have a point. Joe Biden is probably napping in the Oval Office right now and he abused his office of VP to get a Ukrainian prosecutor who was investigating his son's employer fired.

BTW, you posted three links to the same editorial - a link to an opinion piece written by a Lexington Herald-Leader columnist. What is it about liberals in this forum? If you had even clicked on all three links and glanced at the pages that came up, then you would have realized that it was the same editorial. Instead, you have about as much credibility as the Herald-Leader has. You posted another person's opinion in triplicate.
(03-09-2021, 03:41 PM)Hoot Gibson Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 03:24 PM)The Outsider Wrote:

You do have a point. Joe Biden is probably napping in the Oval Office right now and he abused his office of VP to get a Ukrainian prosecutor who was investigating his son's employer fired.

BTW, you posted three links to the same editorial - a link to an opinion piece written by a Lexington Herald-Leader columnist. What is it about liberals in this forum? If you had even clicked on all three links and glanced at the pages that came up, then you would have realized that it was the same editorial. Instead, you have about as much credibility as the Herald-Leader has. You posted another person's opinion in triplicate.
My bad, here you go.  Forbes called him the deadbeat billionaire.

https://appvoices.org/2019/02/13/gov-jim-justices-barren-mine-lands-and-unpaid-taxes/

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopher...9dfbc72acc

Here is the difference between Democrat and Republican
[-] The following 1 user Likes vector#1's post:
  • Cardfan1