Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Preseason 2A Rankings
Who you got as the top 10 teams in 2A heading into 2021? Here are my rankings as of right now.

1. LCA
2. Beechwood
3. Mayfield
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. West Carter
7. Murray
8. Breathitt County
9. Owensboro Catholic
10. Shelby Valley
1. Mayfield
2. LCA
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Caldwell Co
7. Undecided
8. Undecided
9. Undecided
10. Undecided

I think Mayfield will be strong with 9 starters returning per side. All State LB Rodgers went down on the 3rd play of the season with a blown ACL will return along with 2 linemen that were lost this season. The key for the Cards will be how much the Soph QB develops. If he develops like the last 4 the Cards QB's Mayfield will be really good. SR running back Galbreath was also out all but 4 games with ACL problems allowing the underclass backs to get most of the snaps and a ton of experience this past year. I feel like LCA will be really good again and I think Beechwood will be really good but I think replacing Harroget will cause a fall off. He accounted for a huge percentage of the Beechwood offense and its not a position that you can just plug the next man up and get anywhere close to the same results as Mayfield demonstrated with the growing pains of a young first year starter this year. BW and Mayfield both ran offenses that require a smart QB or the offense sputters.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MayfieldCardinal's post:
  • CowboyDad
This stings a little to say it but Somerset at 5 is a bit high. Not that I don’t think they won’t be there at the end of the season it’s just not been more important an off-season that I can remember in the last 4/5 seasons.

The cupboard isn’t bare by any means as there’s a lot of young talent. It was a tall task to lose 24 seniors last year and another 11 this season of the caliber they lost on a 2A team that dresses about 50-55.

One key piece will be needed is a QB to emerge. Hard to replace Kaiya Sheron. You won’t duplicate him but you have to find one that fits the offense and tailor an offense around whomever is the starter. Josh Gross is most likely and a very good athlete. Can’t judge him solely on the Corbin game. Next would be a sophomore Cayden Cimala or a freshman Josh Bruner.

They’ll have a very good rushing attack returning in Doan and Bailey and I really think the receiver corps has a chance to be pretty nice if some of the ones on the roster can step up and make things happen. Gavin Stevens was a huge addition and there’s a couple other kids in that junior class I wish were still playing that could be difference markers. They’ll need Kam Hughes, Chaz Reams and Grayson Turner to make strides to be able to give more weapons in the receiver corps.

The line will be young but they have some kids who will make some stands early and be starters for the season. They’ll be a good group for Somerset.

Defense will be anchored by Jacob and Jerod Smith. Replacing Tyler Harvey up front will be by committee until they find that person. Where they get hit the hardest will be at linebacker where they lose three seniors that really accounted for a huge majority of the tackles in Mikey Garland, Dyllan Keith and Brandon Jones. Those three will be incredibly hard to replace as Dyllan signed to play college ball and I have no doubt the Mikey and Brandon could have played next level as well had they chose to. I can see some tough kids in the mix who can move to a linebacker spot and make some plays but it’ll be a tough decision to make for the DC because Jerod could easily play linebacker but he’s a huge playmaker up front as a defensive end. Same for his brother Jacob. Possible to lose a lot up front of you move them around. You’d have to find great replacements up front if you make those switches.

I like the possibilities on this team. I like the upside but they’ll be one team at the start of the season and a much different one by end. It’s pretty scary yet pretty exciting to see what happens.

All that to say, maybe ranked 8-10 and have a chance to move up if they get all the pieces working together.
[-] The following 1 user Likes CowboyDad's post:
  • JustThinking
1. LCA
2. Beechwood
3. Mayfield
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Breathitt County
7. Murray
8. Caldwell County
9. West Carter
10. Middlesboro
(12-30-2020, 10:26 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: 1. LCA
2. Beechwood
3. Mayfield
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Breathitt County
7. Murray
8. Caldwell County
9. West Carter
10. Middlesboro
What is Breathitt County bringing back next year?

1. LCA
2. Mayfield
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. West Carter
7. Caldwell Co.
8. Murray
9. Middlesboro
10. Breathitt Co.
(12-30-2020, 12:25 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:
(12-30-2020, 10:26 AM)Cat Daddy Wrote: 1. LCA
2. Beechwood
3. Mayfield
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Breathitt County
7. Murray
8. Caldwell County
9. West Carter
10. Middlesboro
What is Breathitt County bringing back next year?

1. LCA
2. Mayfield
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. West Carter
7. Caldwell Co.
8. Murray
9. Middlesboro
10. Breathitt Co.

In my opinion, Breathitt will be much improved next year. Breathitt played a lot of Freshman and Sophomores this year, and if I'm not mistaken they only graduate four or five seniors. Losing Long and Weddle will hurt, but the Bobcats have a lot of talented young players waiting for their opportunity. On offense, they only lose two starters, and four starters on defense. Turner as a senior, should be one of the best quarterbacks in 2A and four of the five starting offensive lineman return. Weddle is the only skill player on offense to graduate and Breathitt will plenty of returning offensive fire power in Fr -WR Sperry, Fr- RB Bowling, Sr -WR Ritchie, and JR-TE Hoskins. As a freshman, Sperry was in the top ten in the state in receiving yards for most of the year, and he could very well be an all-state player as a sophomore. Defensively, they return the majority of their defensive lineman in SR-Smith, JR-Hudson, SR-Herald, and S0-Perry. They will return JR-Tincher, JR-Hoskins, and JR-Bryant at the LB position and they should return all of their secondary, minus Weddle. Although, Breathitt may have taken a couple of steps back this year, due to a rebuilding year, I look for the Bobcats to take a couple of steps forward next year. 
With what LCA has coming back, they should be #1. Beechwood won’t be able to replace Hergott, but if they just get competent QB play from his replacement then they will be right in the mix again. They only lose 3 starters on offense, and 2 on defense.
I’d rank them
1. LCA
2. Beechwood
3. Mayfield
4. Danville
5. Somerset
I’m sorry but any list without LCA as #1 is garbage lol
LCA is loaded and have some studs coming up as freshman. They also have two legitimate Mr. Football candidates in their QB Drew Nieves and their WR Xaiver Brown. Their schedule has not been officially released yet but you will know early what's in their stable. Their staff never backs down from a quality opponent. From what I know it includes Pikeville, Belfry, CAL, Lex Cath and Boyle. Add that schedule to their district schedule which includes Danville and Somerset and you have probably the top SOS in the state for all classes. Beechwood returns quite a few dudes but looses 87% of their offense production. They will reload and be in the hunt, that's thier expectation year in and year out. I didn't get to watch a lot of Mayfield but they have to get a lot better based on what I saw against Murray in two games. I expect Danville to be better but they lose some key pieces on the o line I think. Somerset will find dudes to back fill, but losing Sheron, Grundy, Johnson and Gilmore is tough to replace. Until Breathitt steps up and plays some quality out of district opponents who knows but based on what I saw on film there is no way they compete with any team with speed.
I am going to amend my list to LCA at 1 followed by Mayfield at #2. I did not realize LCA had so much coming back
I wouldn't put Danville over Somerset. Danville losses tons of talent RB, QB plus more. Somerset will end up 2nd in district behind LCA. The 22 juniors most play. After this next year Jumpers will be back, but this they're in the passenger seat to LCA.
(01-06-2021, 12:08 AM)foozeball80 Wrote: I wouldn't put Danville over Somerset. Danville losses tons of talent RB, QB plus more. Somerset will end up 2nd in district behind LCA. The 22 juniors most play. After this next year Jumpers will be back, but this they're in the passenger seat to LCA.
Where are the QB and RB going? Wasn't Dawson a Sophomore and Burns just a Junior this season?
(01-06-2021, 12:08 AM)foozeball80 Wrote: I wouldn't put Danville over Somerset. Danville losses tons of talent RB, QB plus more. Somerset will end up 2nd in district behind LCA. The 22 juniors most play. After this next year Jumpers will be back, but this they're in the passenger seat to LCA.
Danville does not lose the QB or the best RB's, they lose 1 skill player that played the slot, they lose more in the line than anything else.
(01-09-2021, 01:53 PM)ThinThirty Wrote:
Danville does not lose the QB or the best RB's, they lose 1 skill player that played the slot, they lose more in the line than anything else.

There line was good too! They were big men who had great feet.
Lexington Christian has to be number 1. Beechwood should be solid, but after reading about the West Carter game and watching the championship game, Cam Hergott will be difficult to replace.
Hearing players are leaving Somerset on a mass exodus. The twins going to prep school, the next best WR besides Grundy going to PC. If so, that's really going to hurt them with losing Grundy and Sheron as well.
(12-29-2020, 10:57 PM)MayfieldCardinal Wrote: 1. Mayfield
2. LCA
3. Beechwood
4. Danville
5. Somerset
6. Caldwell Co
7. Undecided
8. Undecided
9. Undecided
10.  Undecided

I think Mayfield will be strong with 9 starters returning per side.  All State LB Rodgers went down on the 3rd play of the season with a blown ACL will return along with 2 linemen that were lost this season.  The key for the Cards will be how much the Soph QB develops.  If he develops like the last 4 the Cards QB's Mayfield will be really good.  SR running back Galbreath was also out all but 4 games with ACL problems allowing the underclass backs to get most of the snaps and a ton of experience this past year.  I feel like LCA will be really good again and I think Beechwood will be really good but I think replacing Harroget will cause a fall off.  He accounted for a huge percentage of the Beechwood offense and its not a position that you can just plug the next man up and get anywhere close to the same results as Mayfield demonstrated with the growing pains of a young first year starter this year.  BW and Mayfield both ran offenses that require a smart QB or the offense sputters.
Cartwright is putting in the work.  Throwing with a lot of the QB in Western Kentucky (Wimsett, Pyror, Gibbs and more) trying to get better.  With the work he is putting in and the quality coaching of Mayfield, he should be ready for a good season.
[-] The following 1 user Likes TheBear's post:
  • MayfieldCardinal
(03-24-2021, 09:37 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Hearing players are leaving Somerset on a mass exodus. The twins going to prep school, the next best WR besides Grundy going to PC. If so, that's really going to hurt them with losing Grundy and Sheron as well.
Why, what's going on over there? How about that kid Hawkins, doesn't he have a couple of power 5 offers?
(03-24-2021, 09:37 AM)FootballFan1999 Wrote: Hearing players are leaving Somerset on a mass exodus. The twins going to prep school, the next best WR besides Grundy going to PC. If so, that's really going to hurt them with losing Grundy and Sheron as well.
Gavin Stevens going to PC? Haven't heard that rumor.
(03-24-2021, 01:13 PM)RoShamBo Wrote:
Gavin Stevens going to PC? Haven't heard that rumor.

Heard it last night. First I had heard of it.
The twins were excepted to a private school similar to a IMG school, but haven't left yet. According to sources the twins Don't want to leave. As far as Steve's goes this a first concidering a few weeks ago a family mermber was saying how excited he is for next year. As far as Somerset goes they will be fine. Everyone knows LCA has a lock on it. Somerset will be runner up with Danville's drama, clevenger gone plus talent leaving. Washington co. Loses a bunch. Anyone close to Somerset knows they are aware of this small class, and expect to be back in the running with the younger groups with loads of talent. I will get confirmation on this as well to see if they are for sure leaving.

(03-25-2021, 03:03 AM)foozeball80 Wrote: The twins were excepted to a private school similar to a IMG school, but haven't left yet. According to sources the twins Don't want to leave. As far as Steve's goes this a first concidering a few weeks ago a family mermber was saying how excited he is for next year. As far as Somerset goes they will be fine. Everyone knows LCA has a lock on it. Somerset will be runner up with Danville's drama, clevenger gone plus talent leaving. Washington co. Loses a bunch. Anyone close to Somerset knows they are aware of this small class, and expect to be back in the running with the younger groups with loads of talent. I will get confirmation on this as well to see if they are for sure leaving.        Confirmed Stevens leaving to PC but not for football, was told basketball reasons but that's from a family member source. 

Confirmed Stevens is leaving to PC. Was told by family source. Apparently it's due to basketball not football, and was told he probably won't play football next year. Now that could be misleading, but is from a close source