Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your book recommendations
Please post recommendations for you favorite books here. My favorite genre is science fiction, not to be confused with fantasy, where things happen because of "magic." Most of the "reading" that I do is through unabridged audio books. I will be listing my favorites a few at a time in separate posts below but number one on my list is the Destiny's Crucible series by Olan Thorensen.

Destiny's Crucible
John Scalzi is arguably the best living contemporary science fiction author and my favorite books that he has written is the Old Man's War series.

Another very popular contemporary sci-fi series was written by Dennis Taylor and is known as the Bobiverse series.

The Audible versions of both Old Man's War and the Bobiverse have outstanding narrators. The quality of narration makes a huge difference when you choose to listen to a book instead of reading it.
You need to diversify! :)

Since CoVid, four of my old old high school buddies and I have formed a book club, and virtually meet once a month to discuss. I am a mystery person, BUT the first two choices that we read were marvelous!

If you feel adventurous, try reading "Giver of the Stars". It is a true story, with 5 fictional main characters and is a wonderful read. It is set close to your old stomping grounds.

Another one we read that I just loved is "Where the Crawdads Sing". Another great read!!!
(08-23-2020, 09:32 AM)Granny Bear Wrote: You need to diversify!  Smile

Since CoVid, four of my old old high school buddies and I have formed a book club, and virtually meet once a month to discuss.  I am a mystery person, BUT the first two choices that we read were marvelous!

If you feel adventurous, try reading "Giver of the Stars".  It is a true story, with 5 fictional main characters and is a wonderful read.  It is set close to your old stomping grounds.

Another one we read that I just loved is "Where the Crawdads Sing".  Another great read!!!
Point taken, Granny. My current reading habits do extend beyond sci-fi, but that is where most of my time spend reading fiction lies. Most of my reading actually involves non-fiction computer, 3D printing, and ham radio books and articles.

Thank you for the recommendations. I have added both books to my Audible wish list.

If you are not a sci-fi fan, then you may enjoy these:

An Officer and a Spy by Robert Harris- This is a historical novel closely based on a true story of a Jewish French Army officer, Major Alfred Dreyfus, who was framed, charged, tried, and convicted of treason in France in the late 19th century. The French government made Dreyfus the most hated man in France and even re-opened the notorious Devil's Island prison, where Dreyfus became its only prisoner before he was finally cleared of any wrongdoing. The French government expected Dreyfus to die of some tropical disease or be driven to suicide on the island. The description of life in Paris, espionage, and investigation methods employed in the 19th century are very interesting. The story is one of the most disturbing miscarriages of justice that I can imagine but it is also a very inspirational story with several heroic characters. I listened to the Audible version and the narration was excellent.

Besides sci-fi, I also enjoy good post-apocalyptic books, which are usually not sci-fi. There are a couple of authors who are from Virginia that have written series of novels that are set in Virginia and eastern Kentucky, with part of one series taking place along the Appalachian Trail. I think that you would enjoy the following series by Franklin Horton, who lives in the mountains of western Virginia:

The Borrowed World series

Locker 9 series

Mad Mick series (spin-off of Locker 9 series)

[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Granny Bear
11/22/63 by Stephen King. Easily best book I’ve read. It’s fictional but with non fiction events in it. It’s solid.
I have read every book that Stephen King has written. He also wrote several under a pseudonym that I have read as well. I can't recall that name just now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Granny Bear's post:
  • FootballFan1999
(08-25-2020, 12:07 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I have read every book that Stephen King has written.  He also wrote several under a pseudonym that I have read as well.  I can't recall that name just now.

Great taste! I’m about to start the Dark Tower series. Missing a few but going to pick them up once I start
I prefer books on early U.S. history.  My two favorite books are Boston and the Dawn of American Independence by Brian Deming and John Adams by David McCollough.
I don't read many books to a fault. I'm not a big bible thumper, however, it is the last book I read out of.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever."

-Mahatma Gandhi
Into The Wild by Jon Krakauer
It is a book about Chris McCandless and his life in the wild. A true story about a guy who left everything behind to live in the Alaska wilderness. They also made a movie about it with the same title.
(09-21-2020, 09:06 PM)Spirit100 Wrote: I don't read many books to a fault. I'm not a big bible thumper, however, it is the last book I read out of.

I have read the King James version of the New Testament from beginning to end and some of the Old Testament in the same manner but outside of Sunday school classes as a kid I have never actually studied the Bible.  I admire those that do and are very knowledgeable.
69 Chiefs 50th anniversary of legendary season.
Auschwitz with many books to pick but the history story is just sad.
Greatest upset Never seen with Virginia vs. Chaminade 1982 basketball season.
Football with the Lid Off. 1970s Oakland Raiders vs. Pittsburgh. Fred Biletnikoff was my first football hero.
Edmund Fitzgerald 45 years ago this month.
Read several sports-related books over the summer. I would recommend any or all of them:

*ROCK SOLID- My Life in Baseball's Fast Lane by Tim Raines

*THE LEGENDS CLUB-Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Valvano and an Epic College Basketball Rivalry by John Feinstein

*LOU- Fifty Years of Kicking Dirt, Playing Hard, and Winning Big in the Sweet Spot of Baseball by Lou Piniella

*NO IS A FOUR LETTER WORD- How I Failed Spelling But Succeeded in Life by Chris Jericho

*GOD AND STARBUCKS - An NBA Superstar's Journey Through Addiction and Recovery by Vin Baker

*INTANGIBALL - The Subtle Things That Win Baseball Games by Lonnie Wheeler

I would also recommend THE BOYS FROM CORBIN : America's Greatest Little Sports Town by Gary P. West.

[ Gary is the guy who also wrote King Kelley Coleman: Kentucky's Greatest Basketball Legend(2005) ]
(12-07-2020, 02:08 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: Read several sports-related books over the summer. I would recommend any or all of them:

*ROCK SOLID- My Life in Baseball's Fast Lane  by Tim Raines

*THE LEGENDS CLUB-Dean Smith, Mike Krzyzewski, Jim Valvano and an  Epic College Basketball Rivalry by John Feinstein

*LOU- Fifty Years of Kicking Dirt, Playing Hard,  and Winning Big in the Sweet Spot of Baseball by Lou Piniella

*NO IS A FOUR LETTER WORD- How I Failed Spelling  But Succeeded in Life  by Chris Jericho

*GOD AND STARBUCKS -  An NBA Superstar's Journey Through Addiction and Recovery  by Vin  Baker

*INTANGIBALL - The Subtle Things That Win Baseball Games by Lonnie Wheeler

I would also recommend  THE BOYS FROM CORBIN : America's Greatest Little Sports Town  by Gary P. West.

[ Gary is the guy who also wrote King Kelley Coleman:  Kentucky's Greatest Basketball Legend(2005)  ]

I have The Boys From Corbin and King Kelly Coleman books.
(08-25-2020, 12:07 PM)Granny Bear Wrote: I have read every book that Stephen King has written. He also wrote several under a pseudonym that I have read as well. I can't recall that name just now.

Think it’s Richard Bachman as his pseudonym. “Salem’s Lot” was, for some reason, the King book that actually scared me the most. “The Stand” is my favorite King book, even more timely now. There is a new mini-series based on it coming out next week on CBS all-access, I’m super excited to check it out. The mini-series from the early 90s was ok, not fantastic.
The Stand bothered me too, so did Cujo. He should've NEVER allowed a child to die in one of his books. I didn't read him for years after that.

The Stand is my favorite as well.