Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shelby Valley 16, Pikeville 14 (Pike County Championship)
Final in the Pike County Championship. Great game to watch. Valley stops Pikeville on 4th and goal with a minute left.
What a game!!
SHELBY VALLEY WILDCATS - 2010 KHSAA STATE CHAMPIONS

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Shelby valley has got themselves a team the next four years at the high school level
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Garbage false start penalty killed Pikeville’s go ahead drive. Play was called back from the 1 yard line. I’ve watched 100 times on video and absolutely no one moves. I’m not one to blame refs, but Mike Hall cost Pikeville the county championship I do believe.
VoR_58 Wrote:Garbage false start penalty killed Pikeville’s go ahead drive. Play was called back from the 1 yard line. I’ve watched 100 times on video and absolutely no one moves. I’m not one to blame refs, but Mike Hall cost Pikeville the county championship I do believe.

Please. Both teams had penalties called at inopportune times. The drive immediately before that, Valley had a huge run called back for a holding call. I didn't see a hold on that play either, but apparently the refs did. Would have given Valley the ball in Pikeville territory with the chance to ice the game. Instead, the penalty killed the drive and gave the Panthers the ball one last time.

This was a great game between two great teams. Trying to blame the refs for a loss is just lame.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I don’t really blame them for the loss. Just saying it was a garbage call that completely changed the game. Heck, Pikeville may have not even ended up scoring from the 1 yd line. 🤷🏼*♂️
I just watched bits and pieces of the game on David and Darryl. Seen the play your referring to. I know they announced false start but it's possible they had illegal formation and it was just announced incorrect. LOS is 6 yard line and it's hard to tell from the camera angle but looks like TE on right side was at the 7. If this was the case then it was right call but hard to see from camera angle on D&D on Facebook.
VoR_58 Wrote:I don’t really blame them for the loss. Just saying it was a garbage call that completely changed the game. Heck, Pikeville may have not even ended up scoring from the 1 yd line. 🤷🏼*♂️

Not blaming the refs? You said “Mike Hall cost Pikeville the county championship”. Sounds like blaming the ref to me.

You say the call changed the game. But one could also say that without a very questionable holding call on Valley’s previous drive, Pikeville might not have even had the ball there at the end.

I don’t think anyone should say the call against Pikeville was a garbage call, because maybe we didn’t see what the refs did. I didn’t see the hold either, but they did and that was the call.

Both teams had important drives stall out because of a questionable penalty. But they affected both teams, so I don’t see how anyone could say it cost Pikeville the game.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
I’ve watched it on film several times. There was no penalty for a false start on that play. However, holding can be called on pretty much every play.

Not trying to argue, but I believe the outcome would have been very different if not for that flag. And I’ll stick by that. SV barely moved the ball the whole second half.

Call me lame all you want, refs around here suck. Period. And they especially don’t take it serious enough, especially at the junior high level.
VoR_58 Wrote:I’ve watched it on film several times. There was no penalty for a false start on that play. However, holding can be called on pretty much every play.

Not trying to argue, but I believe the outcome would have been very different if not for that flag. And I’ll stick by that. SV barely moved the ball the whole second half.

Call me lame all you want, refs around here suck. Period. And they especially don’t take it serious enough, especially at the junior high level.

I will agree with you on one thing, you probably could call holding on every play. That's why it usually is not called unless it is very blatant and clearly affected the play. But the one that was called in the 4th quarter was very questionable, and it certainly was not blatant enough to be seen on the video.

You mentioned that Valley didn't move the ball in the 2nd half. They had 2 possessions, the first of which ended at the Pikeville 10-yard line. That drive also was affected by a blatant refereeing mistake. Valley was called (correctly) for an illegal man downfield, which pushed them back 5 yards. However, the refs incorrectly ruled it as a loss of down, so what should have been a 2nd and 12 after the penalty ended up being a 3rd and 12. That would loom large when Valley ended up 2 yards short on 4th down. Instead of having a chance to convert 4th and short, it was a turnover on downs.

Then, the next drive, Valley had a 30 yard run called back by the aforementioned holding call. Instead of a 1st down inside the Pikeville 40, it made it a 4th and 20, and resulted in Pikeville getting the ball again.

You're right, if the refs didn't call Pikeville for the false start, they very well may have won the game. But I could also point out that if the holding on Valley was not called on the drive before, Pikeville may not have gotten the ball back anyway. Or if Valley did not incorrectly lose a down on the first drive of the 2nd half, they may have scored again and made it a 2 TD lead.

I do agree that the officiating is not always great in our youth leagues around here. Usually both teams can point to multiple calls in a game that they do not agree with. But the bottom line is that the referee calls did not clearly favor one team over the other, and did not decide who won the game.

SV was the better team last night and deserved the win. Pikeville will get another chance to beat Valley in the state playoffs.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Illegal man down field is not loss of down but illegal touching is a loss of down. I actually just looked it up to be certain. If an eligible receiver would have caught the ball it still would have been a penalty for illegal man downfield but since the ineligible receiver is the man who caught the ball it is considered illegal touching and a 5 yard penalty from previous spot and a loss of down.
pirateforlife Wrote:Illegal man down field is not loss of down but illegal touching is a loss of down. I actually just looked it up to be certain. If an eligible receiver would have caught the ball it still would have been a penalty for illegal man downfield but since the ineligible receiver is the man who caught the ball it is considered illegal touching and a 5 yard penalty from previous spot and a loss of down.

Oh ok. I know the announcers said it was ineligible downfield, so that's what I was going by. If they actually called illegal touching, then I retract my earlier statement that Valley lost a down incorrectly.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Valley is a good team and Osborne is as good as advertised. They deserved the win and Congrats to them. Awfully hard to beat a good team 3 times in one season though, and this next game will be the one that matters...
HAIL PIKEVILLE! Wrote:Valley is a good team and Osborne is as good as advertised. They deserved the win and Congrats to them. Awfully hard to beat a good team 3 times in one season though, and this next game will be the one that matters...

I expect another down-to-the-wire game this next time too.

If I read the bracket correctly, Pikeville will be hosting as the higher seed? Crazy that Valley beat both Pikeville and Belfry in the regular season, yet is somehow seeded behind both of them in the state playoffs...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
More Cowbell Wrote:I expect another down-to-the-wire game this next time too.

If I read the bracket correctly, Pikeville will be hosting as the higher seed? Crazy that Valley beat both Pikeville and Belfry in the regular season, yet is somehow seeded behind both of them in the state playoffs...
Yes that’s right. Never been quite too sure how the formula works as far as the seeding goes. We beat Belfry 2 years ago @ Belfry by 2 TDs and we still had to go over to Vipperman in the playoffs...
Spud6 Wrote:Shelby valley has got themselves a team the next four years at the high school level

During the history of Shelby Valley football, for the most part they have always had a good talent & on a few occasions, very good talent coming from their feeder schools!! For one reason or another haven’t done anything with it, with the exception of the one regional championship. One of the biggest reasons in the past is that kids either stop playing after middle school, to to other sports and leave football behind. Either way, and for whatever reason, this school has had way too much talent to be a below average program with only a few years of success to speak of!!