Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brackets
FoSho Wrote:I hate basketball with a passion.

Every parent thinks their kid is the next Michael Jordan and they act like such idiots. Football is such a better sport to learn about overcoming hardships, responsibility, teamwork and the thrill of accomplishing something with a group of brothers.

Basketball has been destroyed by AAU and summer leagues attitude. It's not about teamwork...it's me me me. I hate it.
Football is the easiest sport to play, by a long shot. A place for every kid, athlete, non-athlete, skinny, fat, fast, and slow.
The reason you don't see many more teams play is early start time, no consistency on who you play or how playoffs are seeded(points by wins of schools size can be gamed), to many games in a condensed season, and just a lot of bickering(to be fair that is in all youth sports now).

To help it you need 3 classes but go by your HS classes - if you feed into a 1/2A HS you are Class 1, 3/4A class 2, 5/6A class 3 and divided up into districts and region in like HS, limit on season games etc.

Probably impossible to do without close to total participation, but just some ideas.
CBDV Wrote:Football is the easiest sport to play, by a long shot. A place for every kid, athlete, non-athlete, skinny, fat, fast, and slow.

Its obviously has more opportunities to get in the game than other sports. It is by far the most physically, emotionally, mentally demanding of all sports.
footballfever Wrote:Its obviously has more opportunities to get in the game than other sports. It is by far the most physically, emotionally, mentally demanding of all sports.

Physically 100%, the others could be argued.

I love football and would like to see the KYMSFA be wildly successful, any thoughts on ways to get more involved?
footballfever Wrote:When did association start playoffs? Middle schools did not play regular season games 1st week of Aug 15 years ago. I coached middle school in 90’s and didn’t start till 1st monday of August.

I started coaching in 2000 and back then we started the week after the dead period and our first game was the 2nd saturday in August (which was normally the Saturday before school started.) Its always been that way.

But what you bring up is part of the issue, no consistency around the state, and I don't think there ever will be.
CBDV Wrote:The reason you don't see many more teams play is early start time, no consistency on who you play or how playoffs are seeded(points by wins of schools size can be gamed), to many games in a condensed season, and just a lot of bickering(to be fair that is in all youth sports now).

To help it you need 3 classes but go by your HS classes - if you feed into a 1/2A HS you are Class 1, 3/4A class 2, 5/6A class 3 and divided up into districts and region in like HS, limit on season games etc.

Probably impossible to do without close to total participation, but just some ideas.

1. there already is a game limit, has been since 2014. (many non association teams do not follow that game limit, even though its a state regulation.)

2. The play as your high school class doesn't work because you have many high schools that have multiple feeders and those feeder schools are different sizes. Georgetown middle for example has a male enrollment of roughly 140, should they be in the same class as another feeder to Scott Co HS, Royal Springs that has close to 380 male enrollment?

3. Playoff seeding, if everybody participated, you could have true districts and true regions, until that day, all lines are blurry.
On the season starts to early comments:

1. When would you like to see the regular season start?

2. Based on the answer to #1, when would you like to see state Championships played?
FoSho Wrote:I hate basketball with a passion.

Every parent thinks their kid is the next Michael Jordan and they act like such idiots. Football is such a better sport to learn about overcoming hardships, responsibility, teamwork and the thrill of accomplishing something with a group of brothers.

Basketball has been destroyed by AAU and summer leagues attitude. It's not about teamwork...it's me me me. I hate it.

That was my point exactly. Basketball killed baseball and I think is starting to trickle into football more and more. Until basketball gets seasoned like football and baseball it is just going to continue to get worse for other sports. I like basketball but don’t understand why kids sacrifice opportunities in others.
footballfever Wrote:Its obviously has more opportunities to get in the game than other sports. It is by far the most physically, emotionally, mentally demanding of all sports.

This I must disagree with. Wrestling is hands down the most demanding sport of all. In every aspect.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:That was my point exactly. Basketball killed baseball and I think is starting to trickle into football more and more. Until basketball gets seasoned like football and baseball it is just going to continue to get worse for other sports. I like basketball but don’t understand why kids sacrifice opportunities in others.

Baseball is not seasoned. They play spring summer and fall.
I think Middle football should start and finish about as HS but I really think MS football practice July 10th is too early.
ricks Wrote:This I must disagree with. Wrestling is hands down the most demanding sport of all. In every aspect.

Wrestling is very demanding without question. But it's an individual sport for the most part. The team aspect of football makes it more demanding IMO. The pressure of knowing others and the team depends on YOU for demanding obligations is A LOT of responsibility and builds tremendous character.
FoSho Wrote:Wrestling is very demanding without question. But it's an individual sport for the most part. The team aspect of football makes it more demanding IMO. The pressure of knowing others and the team depends on YOU for demanding obligations is A LOT of responsibility and builds tremendous character.

I agree wrestling is very demanding. I was thinking of team sports also. Thing about wrestling is you are almost always matched against someone your size and strength and you can tap out. Football has big against small, fast against slow. Stronger against weaker.
Bossdaddy 4115 Wrote:what can be done to get others to participate? I really like the setup and it strongly helps at the high school level imo. I truly believe the ones that are over this have a good thing going and put on great tournaments, I just feel disappointed by such a large number of nonparticipating schools. I didn’t realize it was so high. What a shame

I want add to this after this morning. Schools need to hire real AD's. Not teachers getting an extra stipend, not a vice principal with an extra duty. AD's need to be a full day position, by someone who has had sports management eduction or experience. This also means school districts need to treat them as more than just an extra curicular activities.

Had an AD call me this morning to ask where his team was playing today. (Note that all coaches and ADs get a game notification email that tells them time and site for game) When I told him where he started to argue with me that they were playing somewhere else. By argue I mean, yell, scream, cuss, that I was wrong about the location. (Hes arguing with the guy that sets the schedule for every game, smh)

This is who we have running athletic department. Thats a huge part of the issue with sports in Kentucky at the high school and middle school level.

BTW, the AD had not opened and read the game notification yet, it was sent last Sunday.
Is there a way to see updates on games, an official twitter or anything I don’t know about?
plantmanky Wrote:I want add to this after this morning. Schools need to hire real AD's. Not teachers getting an extra stipend, not a vice principal with an extra duty. AD's need to be a full day position, by someone who has had sports management eduction or experience. This also means school districts need to treat them as more than just an extra curicular activities.

Had an AD call me this morning to ask where his team was playing today. (Note that all coaches and ADs get a game notification email that tells them time and site for game) When I told him where he started to argue with me that they were playing somewhere else. By argue I mean, yell, scream, cuss, that I was wrong about the location. (Hes arguing with the guy that sets the schedule for every game, smh)

This is who we have running athletic department. Thats a huge part of the issue with sports in Kentucky at the high school and middle school level.

BTW, the AD had not opened and read the game notification yet, it was sent last Sunday.

Wow that blows my mind. But at the same time doesn’t surprise me.
CoachGivhan Wrote:Is there a way to see updates on games, an official twitter or anything I don’t know about?

We have a twitter and a facebook. I started a thread this morning on facebook for everyone to post game scores in, got most of them in. I just got back home to lock myself in my office and get to work.
plantmanky Wrote:I want add to this after this morning. Schools need to hire real AD's. Not teachers getting an extra stipend, not a vice principal with an extra duty. AD's need to be a full day position, by someone who has had sports management eduction or experience. This also means school districts need to treat them as more than just an extra curicular activities.

This looks like peanuts compared to the mess that occurred later in the evening. Talk about proving my point to a T.
plantmanky Wrote:This looks like peanuts compared to the mess that occurred later in the evening. Talk about proving my point to a T.

What happened
To the comment about 3 divisions based off high school class, what do you do for JCPS? I know we weren’t allowed to participate this year in state but just at one jcps school, the kids can go to a high school in each class basically. So it would be impossible to classify them based off Hs classification.

The key to improving is getting more teams in western KY to get on board. I would love to have meetings with coaches, ADs (real ones that understand it), and figure out how to beat accommodate everyone so we can have alkost everyone involved.
IAM22 Wrote:Here is the other half...HHS has/had two 8th grade teams with about 17 kids each team, one called the blue team the other the white, same as 7th. From what I understand both 8th grade teams suffered from a bad case of the injury bug and could no longer field 2 teams. So, that week they had 2 games and had to cancel one of them and were only able to field one team for the rest of the season.

chs crazy Wrote:And from what I understand you where canceling a month and a half ahead of schedule :eyeroll: Good luck to the rest of your season I’m done arguing nothing can come of it now but accusations and excuses...

Who is arguing? So, HHS gave plenty of notice that things didn't work out as planned for the 8th grade teams. About a month prior is exactly the time frame the players were shifted to one team. If you look at the HHS website it shows the complete game schedules and you will see when playing two games on the same day ended...when only one team could be fielded. When did that happen? After the August 19th games....hmmm about a month before the Corbin game.
Trying to make it out that HHS was ducking or avoiding Corbin somehow doesn't make sense. It was just unfortunate that the plan to field two teams had a premature end.

The day HHS was scheduled to play Corbin, HHS was also scheduled to play Ryle(Union Raiders), the game was played vs Ryle because that was a conference game.
On Sept 15th HHS Schedule
7th HHS vs Corbin
7th HHS vs Ryle
8th HHS vs Ryle

I think making a phone call to Corbin as soon as possible was the right thing to do!

Accusations and excuses, comical that is what you are trying to suggest occurred!
IAM22 Wrote:Who is arguing? So, HHS gave plenty of notice that things didn't work out as planned for the 8th grade teams. About a month prior is exactly the time frame the players were shifted to one team. If you look at the HHS website it shows the complete game schedules and you will see when playing two games on the same day ended...when only one team could be fielded. When did that happen? After the August 19th games....hmmm about a month before the Corbin game.
Trying to make it out that HHS was ducking or avoiding Corbin somehow doesn't make sense. It was just unfortunate that the plan to field two teams had a premature end.

The day HHS was scheduled to play Corbin, HHS was also scheduled to play Ryle(Union Raiders), the game was played vs Ryle because that was a conference game.
On Sept 15th HHS Schedule
7th HHS vs Corbin
7th HHS vs Ryle
8th HHS vs Ryle

I think making a phone call to Corbin as soon as possible was the right thing to do!

Accusations and excuses, comical that is what you are trying to suggest occurred!

Fine when you wanna play?
chs crazy Wrote:Fine when you wanna play?

Comical...didn't know I was in a dumb*** contest, you win!
IAM22 Wrote:Comical...didn't know I was in a dumb*** contest, you win!

Confusednicker: I tried telling you it wasn’t worth continuing the argument and you never replied for a WEEK what kind of response did you expect? Listen I put it out there that it was in people’s feelings (mine included when those post were made).. I don’t have anything against Highlands was disappointed cause I really wanted to see the game, I’m neither a coach nor a parent but I love watching these kids play every chance I get. Most these other teams I expected it and it didn’t really bother me but I wanted to see Highlands and Paintsville play Corbin because I know it would be a good game with classy programs...now hopefully we can move along, good luck to Highlands going forward.