Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
It’s sort of a moot point, because Cal’s contract means he is NEVER getting fired short of some scandal that would nullify his deal. He has a contract that would be a bad deal for a university if your coach was Nick Saban, or Coach K, or Pat Summit. But aside from that, no, he is a very poor in-game coach. Yelling at the top of your lungs and making funny faces on the sidelines during games does not equal great coaching. He gets too locked in on certain players, while others can make one mistake and out they come. Just one example, I have felt bad for Lance Ware for two years now, a kid with limited ability, but who plays his ass off every second he is on the court, and really seems to care about the game. But he’s never gonna get more than a 3 or 4 minute run during a game, one mistake, sit him down. And there’s a long list of guys like that. Plus, the failure to call timeout at the end of games—I think it’s because Cal has no idea what to tell them, so he just hopes the talent will figure it out.

Now, I will say this job would eat up a lot of coaches, and Cal does have the right personality for it, the Pitino style of thinking he knows more than everyone else. But our recruiting has slipped, it may slip some more with Kenny Payne now at Louisville, and Auburn and Tennessee have basically caught us in the SEC. It may get worse before it gets better. When does football practice start?
Dont think I need permission from an old dog that is fascinated with bad coaches to post on this site. I would tell you to kiss my @ but I don’t feel like taking a number and waiting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cherokee's post:
  • insideinfo
(03-20-2022, 09:59 AM)cherokee Wrote: Dont think I need permission from an old dog that is fascinated with bad coaches to post on this site. I would tell you to kiss my @ but I don’t feel like taking a number and waiting.
Couldn’t have said it better.
[-] The following 1 user Likes insideinfo's post:
  • cherokee
(03-20-2022, 09:59 AM)cherokee Wrote: Dont think I need permission from an old dog that is fascinated with bad coaches to post on this site. I would tell you to kiss my @ but I don’t feel like taking a number and waiting.
I'm not fascinated with any coach. If Brad Stevens was knocking down the door to come here, I'd be all for it but that ain't happening.  But I'm gonna continue root for the kids who wear the blue and white whether a kid takes a knee or not. This year's group seemed like a good bunch bunch of kids who just peaked too early. I'll keep rooting 'em on and you keep whining about knees, Chief.
#cherokeetrailoftears Cry Cry Cry
When basketball players's pregame focus is all about making political statements, upsets will happen. Kentucky lost its focus during the 2020-21 season and suffered one of their worst seasons ever. It happened before the St. Peters game and the 'Cats suffered their worst upset ever. Kentucky fans don't tune into games to see their team distracted and kneeling on a knee, we tune into games to see UK focused on winning basketball games. The BLM attitude and Can't Coach Calipari need to go but I don't expect him to do the honorable thing and retire.
^^^Did UK players take a knee before St. Peters game? If so I am glad they got beat.
(03-26-2022, 04:57 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Did UK players take a knee before St. Peters game? If so I am glad they got beat.

Nah, I think it was just that game against Florida a year or two ago. Best I remember, even one or two of the Florida players joined them in takng a knee.

Btw,  the St. Peters' team seem proud as a peackcock prominently displaying their BLACK LIVES MATTER shirts before, during, and after every game of their NCAA  run.
(03-26-2022, 05:23 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 04:57 PM)jetpilot Wrote: ^^^Did UK players take a knee before St. Peters game? If so I am glad they got beat.

Nah, I think it was just that game against Florida a year or two ago. Best I remember, even one or two of the Florida players joined them in takng a knee.

Btw,  the St. Peters' team seem proud as a peackcock prominently displaying their BLACK LIVES MATTER shirts before, during, and after every game of their NCAA  run.
I hope they lose too then. And I hope any team in any sport that tries to make any political statement loses. I also hope men lose at women's sports. Just your average everyday American here stating the way that the vast majority of average everyday Americans feel. Oh yeah and I hope anyone who can't define "woman"...oh hell never mind...
(03-26-2022, 05:30 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(03-26-2022, 05:23 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

I hope they lose too then. And I hope any team in any sport that tries to make any political statement loses. I also hope men lose at women's sports. Just your average everyday American here stating the way that the vast majority of average everyday Americans feel. Oh yeah and I hope anyone who can't define "woman"...oh hell never mind...
I agree. I was mistaken about Kentucky taking a knee before the Saint Peter's game, but I cannot support any team that actively supports corrupt, racist organizations like Black Live Matters. What entertainers do on their own time is their own business but using a stage or sports arena as a platform to promote a racist political agenda is beyond the pale. I am no Tarheel fan but I hope that they rout Saint Peters.
Careful guys deputy dog ( old school hound) is monitoring this site to make sure no political views are expressed. Yeah this is the guy who said UK peaked to early, that is the best excuse I have ever heard for poor coaching ( maybe it took that long for Cal to mess this team up). The final four has three of four winningest programs no UK, which beat two of these teams bad during the season so I can fell safe that we had the talent.
(03-28-2022, 12:47 AM)cherokee Wrote: Careful guys deputy dog  ( old school hound) is monitoring this site to make sure no political views are expressed. Yeah this is the guy who said UK peaked to early, that is the best excuse I have ever heard for poor coaching ( maybe it took that long for Cal to mess this team up). The final four has three of four winningest programs no UK, which beat two of these teams bad during the season so I can fell safe that we had the talent.
I agree, cherokee. This team had plenty of talent to win the title this season. Well-coached teams with young players on their rosters never peak too early because they improve continuously. North Carolina, Kansas, and Saint Peter's are obviously getting a better return on their investments in their basketball programs than UK is. Rick Pitino's Iona team beat Saint Peter's twice this season but was upset in their confercence tourney.

Not only did UK make an early exit from the tournament, the school no longer has the winningest college basketball program in the country. Kansas now owns that distinction, thanks to the efforts of the highest paid basketball coach in the NCAA. If Can't Coach Calipari does not retire soon, UK may never reclaim its title of college basketball's winningest program.
You cannot try to determine another poster's identity!

JetPilot, your post was deleted because it included Old School Hound's attempt at this identity.

Carry on!
:)
(03-18-2022, 05:43 PM)Fan of many Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 02:37 PM)cherokee Wrote: Cal lost a lot of respect from UK fans and I for one will not be cheering for them until every knee that bowed in Florida is gone. What kind of coach makes that statement on an opponents floor, why didn’t they kneel in Rupp. The American flag and National Anthem to my knowledge has never done anyone wrong and are a constant reminder of those who gave their life for this country.
Couldn’t agree more and UK has been trash ever since, and appointment of Brooks to help change the name of Rupp Arena was about as bad. Brooks was the one who asked and got Cal to take a knee. Good riddance to both for bringing political turmoil into UK sports

You mean good riddance to those who say or do something you don't agree with.
It was so nice of shaedon and cal to lie 100 percent to fans for months and decide not to bring in a bigger talent in case of the worst. We are now in the case of the worst. We have no replacement and even with oscar, have no chance. Another waste of a year and we aren’t even in may. Hope cal cheers for all the Arkansas players he could’ve recruited but didn’t. I can’t wait to watch us go 20-11 with a sweet 16 loss when we could’ve be final four contenders 2 years in a roll. I have never said fire cal, but this fiasco is ridiculous.
Cal should follow the chairman of the board to rename RUPP ARENA (Brooks) to the pros; sorry I forgot Cal tried that and got fired.
More awful plays after called timeouts. Just the oppiosite for Michigan State. Perfection after timeouts. Really just awful offensive sets after Oscar went out.
(11-16-2022, 12:22 AM)Old School Hound Wrote: More awful plays after called timeouts.  Just the oppiosite for Michigan State. Perfection after timeouts.  Really just awful offensive sets after Oscar went out.
izzo made Calapari look like a middle school coach
[-] The following 2 users Like rookie57's post:
  • jax, Westside
New year, same stuff.
The chances of Calipari winning another title at UK are remote. The competition for talent has caught up with his recruiting and there are too many better coaches who have talent near to or better than UK. He is not the worst coach in the world but he is far from being the best.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • rookie57
(11-16-2022, 11:37 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The chances of Calipari winning another title at UK are remote. The competition for talent has caught up with his recruiting and there are too many better coaches who have talent near to or better than UK. He is not the worst coach in the world but he is far from being the best.
Spot on mate
(11-16-2022, 12:46 PM)rookie57 Wrote:
(11-16-2022, 11:37 AM)Hoot Gibson Wrote: The chances of Calipari winning another title at UK are remote. The competition for talent has caught up with his recruiting and there are too many better coaches who have talent near to or better than UK. He is not the worst coach in the world but he is far from being the best.
Spot on mate
I just don’t see him winning another. His coaching is down right awful. We do nothing that championship teams do, make free throws, make shots, take good shots and play defense etc.  I know will hear from Cal about being patient with this team but that’s just an excuse. For heaven sakes run an out of bounds play.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kentuckysfinest's post:
  • rookie57
He needs to be fired immediately
Kentucky basketball isn't relevant anymore. We get high preseason rankings in the polls because of our so called talent. We'll drop out of the top ten by the time conference play starts. Gonzaga embarrassed us.
[-] The following 1 user Likes jax's post:
  • rookie57
(11-21-2022, 09:02 AM)jax Wrote: Kentucky basketball isn't relevant anymore.  We get high preseason rankings in the polls because of our so called talent.  We'll drop out of the  top ten by the time conference play starts.  Gonzaga embarrassed us.
A loss is one thing, but that was embarrassing
UCLA just beat UK and if you listened to Cal's post game commits you should be concerned if you are UK fan. Cal has no answers other we didn't fight, we didn't make floaters, we really can shoot free throws but not tonight, how about we need to learn some zone defense and play it, how about our program needs geared to win a NCAA championship instead of worrying how many we can get into the NBA, how about no blue blood on the floor no championship. Cal seems to have left his head and knees on the floor at Florida. What a Joke
[-] The following 2 users Like cherokee's post:
  • jax, rookie57
While I'm not sure what a postgame "commit" is, the fact remains that Cal is going nowhere. He is here until he doesn't want to be here. While I agree that he is not a very good in-game coach, who is out there and available that would be a better fit here than Cal? It takes a certain kind of personality to handle this job and Cal has the type of ego to handle it. If you had the ability to fire Cal and hire someone else, who would you hire, BGR scholars?

Also, to play devil's advocate, how is Cal at fault for the horrible free-throw shooting and the missing of so many wide open shots?
(12-17-2022, 11:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While I'm not sure what a  postgame "commit" is, the fact remains that Cal is going nowhere. He is here until he doesn't want to be here. While I agree that he is not a very good in-game coach, who is out there and available that would be a better fit here than Cal?  It takes a certain kind of personality to handle this job and Cal has the type of ego to handle it. If you had the ability to fire Cal and hire someone else, who would you hire, BGR scholars? 

Also, to play devil's advocate, how is Cal at fault for the horrible free-throw shooting and the missing of so many wide open shots?
Hes not to blame for some things for sure. But Cal has run his course, and the cats are in trouble. They are just lost on the floor, that’s his fault. We really suck right now and 10 games into the season and we have not improved any! We suck right now and it’s time for a change, period.
(12-18-2022, 02:26 AM)rookie57 Wrote:
(12-17-2022, 11:40 PM)Old School Hound Wrote: While I'm not sure what a  postgame "commit" is, the fact remains that Cal is going nowhere. He is here until he doesn't want to be here. While I agree that he is not a very good in-game coach, who is out there and available that would be a better fit here than Cal?  It takes a certain kind of personality to handle this job and Cal has the type of ego to handle it. If you had the ability to fire Cal and hire someone else, who would you hire, BGR scholars? 

Hes not to blame for some things for sure. But Cal has run his course, and the cats are in trouble. They are just lost on the floor, that’s his fault. We really suck right now and 10 games into the season and we have not improved any! We suck right now and it’s time for a change, period.

I would like to see him tell the kids to just go out there and have fun. Let 'em run up and down the court, give them the freedom to jut go out and play. The offense they run is painful to watch and seems to stymie some of their individual talents. Certainly, basketball is a team game, but some of them look miserable trying to function in this antiquated system.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Old School Hound's post:
  • rookie57
(12-18-2022, 02:46 AM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-18-2022, 02:26 AM)rookie57 Wrote:

I would like to see him tell the kids to just go out there and have fun. Let 'em run up and down the court, give them the freedom to jut go out and play. The offense they run is painful to watch and seems to stymie some of their individual talents. Certainly, basketball is a team game, but some of them look miserable trying to function in this antiquated system.
I think they’d do better if he never appeared on the court.
If you’ll notice, some of our best performances in the last few years have been in the games where Cal gets thrown out. Then the assistants take over and just let guys play. I can’t really comment on yesterday, because I almost never watch anymore, it’s too painful to try to watch us play offense. We always have talented kids, but there’s no spark there, it’s just a slog.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Van Hagar's post:
  • rookie57
  •  Previous
  • 7(current)
  • Next