Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
(12-11-2021, 10:08 PM)jetpilot Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 10:00 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(12-11-2021, 09:53 PM)jetpilot Wrote: I've had enough of Cal for 12 lifetimes now. Good part is it doesn't even bother me when we lose anymore.

Jet,  I've been feeling the same way for the last year or so. I wondered if it was just me.  I didn't even know they were playing today until midway through the second half. I used to not miss a single minute of a single game. I not even sure of all the reasons for my drifting away.
Same here. Lived and died UK basketball all my life. All the joy has been sucked out of it.

And it goes deeper than just losing. I can live with losses if its still a fun product to watch. That first Pitino team that went something like 14-14 was a joy to watch.  This is just boring blandness.
im in the yes camp. fire him why you still have momentum to rebuild with a new system/coach in terms of recruiting.
Bruce Pearl outcoaches the highest-paid coach in college basketball again. Auburn makes halftime adjustments after trailing the entire first half and Kentucky has no answer in the second half. I sure hope nobody entices Coach Calipari to walk away from his lifetime contract at UK. Rolleyes Based on Cal's salary, I don't think that UK could afford to hire a good coach.
Auburn is the #1 team in the country and was playing UK at home. No shame in losing that one. Also , key players went out with injuries in the game.
UK squandered a 13 point halftime lead and had to go to OT to beat Mississippi State. Calipari is getting paid top-dollar money for doing a mediocre job. All else being equal, Calipari will lose to well-coached teams with equal talent almost every time. That being said, this is a very talented UK team and is fortunately loaded with players who were well-coached elsewhere. I like this team's unselfishness and it is good to see Kentucky focused on basketball again instead of making political statements.
To everyone saying to fire Cal.. Give me a few good candidates that would reasonable accept the job.

This team lost the first game of the year to a top 10 team Duke.. A loss in their first true road game to ND.. Two SEC losses on the road in which they lost both of their primary ball handlers..

They may not and probably won't win the National Championship this year but they have a better chance than almost everyone in the country. Before you start looking for greener grass look at what is happening in Memphis right now with their big name coach and 5 star players..
I don't want UK to fire Calipari. He has a lifetime contract and the school can't afford to fire him. The bottom line is that UK's administration has been saddled with some of the worst contract negotiators in the history of sports. Calipari was the highest-paid college basketball coach when the school gave him a new contract, with a higher salary and what amounts to a lifetime job. 

Does anybody actually think that John Calipari is worth the income that he is being paid? He has been a great recruiter and the current team has some players who are experienced and received some great coaching before they arrived in Lexington. Talent-wise, I think that Kentucky definitely has the talent to win the title this season but I recall a UK team that had Devin Booker and Tyler Ulis coming off the bench losing to a much less talented Wisconsin team. Kentucky needs a huge advantage in talent to be favored to win a title with Calipari at the helm. Maybe Coach Cal can win a title this season thanks to the coaching contributions of Bob Huggins (WVU), Bob McKillop (Davidson), and Tom Crean (Georgia). I hope so. This is a fun team to watch and just what fans needed after the poor performance of last year's boring team.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • Gridiron_Raid
Cal has the best chance he will have to win a title this year. He’s got a dominant big man, killer true point guard, a shot creator, money man shooter, and a host of role players that can put up 20 like mintz, toppin, and brooks. Cal can recruit the lights out but will never get a team of freshman to play like this. He’s got it now. The only problem is that he’s got the best player of them all on the bench and wasted away the time to get him acclimated to the game before tourney time. Sharpe will not return when he sees that lottery pick and millions of dollars beside his name, and why would he stay. Cal should have played him in every game other than auburn since about 1-15. And that includes kansas where we were up 28 at one point. We will go to the tourney, tyty will hurt his ankle in the round of 32 against like west Va or kansas state, and we will get upset with the #1 player on the bench in sweats.
It would be nice to have sharpe acclimated tonight, here we go into knoxville hurt on the wing. Let’s see if cal can pull one off with a ripple in his lineup. Do we see an auburn game or a kansas game here?
(02-15-2022, 09:11 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: It would be nice to have sharpe acclimated tonight, here we go into knoxville hurt on the wing. Let’s see if cal can pull one off with a ripple in his lineup. Do we see an auburn game or a kansas game here?

Cal has made it clear Sharpe will not play tonight no matter what
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
(02-16-2022, 11:39 PM)Spud6 Wrote:
(02-15-2022, 09:11 PM)Gridiron_Raid Wrote: It would be nice to have sharpe acclimated tonight, here we go into knoxville hurt on the wing. Let’s see if cal can pull one off with a ripple in his lineup. Do we see an auburn game or a kansas game here?

Cal has made it clear Sharpe will not play tonight no matter what
It’s way too late now, but a couple minutes in garbage time could’ve helped for a situation we are in now. Just got beat up in knoxville cause TyTy was hurt, and he isn’t playing saturday so there’s a game we could lose. Then we go to arkansas to the best home court fans in the SEC. Might just end up a 3-4 seed if we aren’t careful. Would’ve been easier with a backup elite guard with experience, not hopkins.
It was over and done with two weeks ago, folks.  Live for today.

[Image: https://cdn.bluegrasspreps.com/uploads/a...ebbe9f.png]
Bump
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Cal should be fired for that inept free throw shooting ... right?
Cal needs to go. He is the most underachieving coach in the history of basketball. Terrible. I'm done watching till he's gone.
(03-17-2022, 10:47 PM)jax Wrote: Cal needs to go. He is the most underachieving  coach in the history of basketball. Terrible. I'm done watching till he's gone.

Cal needs to shoot his free throws better.
The servers may crash tonight.
I've said it before but it's worth repeating. Cal will NEVER be fired. He may decide to move on at some time but he's here until he wants to be somewhere else.
Cal will never be fired but the free throw shooting isn’t the reason we lost. It is a reason yes, but why are we in that spot? Why weren’t we up by 20 at half? Why was it coming down to the end? You can’t blame the players for not having proper gameplan and not calling timeouts. Hell did we have a shoot around!?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • jax
I know they'll never fire Cal. I wish he would leave. When it comes to basketball strategy, he is terrible. Everyone knows how to defend his offense. He's had plenty of talent to win with, but he seems to always under achieve. Oh well I guess this is the new standard in Lexington. Bring in the money and publicity and who cares about final fours and championships. Sorry but I done with basketball till he's gone
In my opinion our lack of zone offense was the difference in the game. When St. Peter’s went to the zone, Cal wasn’t able to adjust. This team was not prepared and that’s his fault.
Sometimes, great free throw shooting teams have a collective bad night. UK shoots freethrows well when they recruit good freethrow shooters. Calipari's teams have never been consistently good freethrow shooters because he does a poor job teaching fundamentals.

Coach Calipari should never be fired - not because he does not deserve to be fired, because he is deserving of that fate - but because of the contract that the UK braintrust gave him. For some baffling reason, Kentucky's braintrust decided that it was a good idea to give a mediocre coach a contract that made him the highest paid college basketball coach in the country and made his position the most secure one in college basketball.

It is amazing how some UK fans are so eager to shift the blame for very bad losses from the coach to his players with comments like the coach didn't miss any freethrows, etc. The coach's job is to earn the salary that he is paid by winning games that he should win. Losing to a 15 seed is a very, very bad loss and the buck stops with Coach Calipari. I think you can make the case that the of the worst losses in the history of UK basketball, the losses to Saint Peter's, Robert Morris, and Wisconsin are all near the top of the list and all of those games were very winnable.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Hoot Gibson's post:
  • jax
(03-18-2022, 08:31 AM)jax Wrote: I know they'll never fire Cal.  I wish he would leave.  When it comes to basketball strategy, he is terrible.  Everyone knows how to defend his offense.  He's had plenty of talent to win with, but he seems to always under achieve.  Oh well I guess this is the new standard in Lexington.  Bring in the money and publicity and who cares about final fours and championships. Sorry but I done with basketball till he's gone

I read this same sentiment from at least a hundred UK fans since last night. I'll say to you, what I would say to all of the others... "NO YOU'RE NOT!  You'll be back again next season just like you have every other one before. You're not giving up basketball. Mitch and Cal are counting on you to be back like always.
Cal lost a lot of respect from UK fans and I for one will not be cheering for them until every knee that bowed in Florida is gone. What kind of coach makes that statement on an opponents floor, why didn’t they kneel in Rupp. The American flag and National Anthem to my knowledge has never done anyone wrong and are a constant reminder of those who gave their life for this country.
[-] The following 2 users Like cherokee's post:
  • Fan of many, Hoot Gibson
(03-18-2022, 01:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 08:31 AM)jax Wrote: I know they'll never fire Cal. I wish he would leave. When it comes to basketball strategy, he is terrible. Everyone knows how to defend his offense. He's had plenty of talent to win with, but he seems to always under achieve. Oh well I guess this is the new standard in Lexington. Bring in the money and publicity and who cares about final fours and championships. Sorry but I done with basketball till he's gone

I read this same sentiment from at least a hundred UK fans since last night. I'll say to you, what I would say to all of the others... "NO YOU'RE NOT! You'll be back again next season just like you have every other one before. You're not giving up basketball. Mitch and Cal are counting on you to be back like always.

Honestly I am, at least watching it. I'll always cheer for Big Blue. I probably hadn't watched 10 games all the way through for the last few years. I watched them all this year, mainly because of Tshiebwe, but I'm over it.

And for the ones on here talking about missed free-throws. It's St. Peter's. It should have never came down to free-throws.
(03-18-2022, 02:37 PM)cherokee Wrote: Cal lost a lot of respect from UK fans and I for one will not be cheering for them until every knee that bowed in Florida is gone. What kind of coach makes that statement on an opponents floor, why didn’t they kneel in Rupp. The American flag and National Anthem to my knowledge has never done anyone wrong and are a constant reminder of those who gave their life for this country.

Take this sh!t to the political forum. This is basketball. There is at least one member who came back here to talk sports and doesn't want to hear politics. Frankly, I'm tired of politics as well. Every damned one of them in Washington and Frankfort can't kiss my @ss. I don't follow politics anymore. If bowed knees bothered you that much you weren't much of a fan to begin with. Cal was just allowing his players to express their opinion in the manner in which they wanted.  Follow your Trail of Tears  to the political forum , John Ross, and let the big Kahuna there caress your wounded knee and damaged psyche. Kick rocks,  Chief.

While I don't follow UK with the passion that I once did I will still root for the kids who put on the uniform . It seems like the guys this season were really good kids who cared about each other. They seemed very, very tight in the tournament game. Just succumbed to the pressure instead of just going out and having fun.

(03-18-2022, 03:22 PM)jax Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 01:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 08:31 AM)jax Wrote: I know they'll never fire Cal.  I wish he would leave.  When it comes to basketball strategy, he is terrible.  Everyone knows how to defend his offense.  He's had plenty of talent to win with, but he seems to always under achieve.  Oh well I guess this is the new standard in Lexington.  Bring in the money and publicity and who cares about final fours and championships. Sorry but I done with basketball till he's gone

I read this same sentiment from at least a hundred UK fans since last night. I'll say to you, what I would say to all of the others... "NO YOU'RE NOT!  You'll be back again next season just like you have every other one before. You're not giving up basketball. Mitch and Cal are counting on you to be back like always.

Honestly I am, at least watching it. I'll always cheer for Big Blue. I probably hadn't watched 10 games all the way through for the last few years. I watched them all this year, mainly because of Tshiebwe, but I'm over it. 

And for the ones on here talking about missed free-throws. It's St. Peter's. It should have never came down to free-throws.

How about Grady and TyTy's  numerous bricks off the iron and Wheeler's turnover-fest?  Did Cal order those guys to play that way? Don't think so.  Other than Oscar, the players were simply not good enough.  Without the Big O,  this team would have hovered around .500 . It is what it is.
^Says take political opinions to the Politics forum and then gives his own political opinion.  Big Grin Take thine own advice.
If cal was paid a halfway normal salary, it is reasonable he’s fired. His buyout is so much that he could go 0-40 every year and we couldn’t get rid of him. Look at the last seven years, he’s actually worse than tubby. Tubby never missed the tournament, we missed it twice. I know 4 final fours 1 championship, but it’s been 10 years since we cut the nets and 7 since we went to the final four. I’m fed up and I might have one more year in me but i’m more critical now than what i was during the billy clyde days.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gridiron_Raid's post:
  • jax
(03-18-2022, 02:37 PM)cherokee Wrote: Cal lost a lot of respect from UK fans and I for one will not be cheering for them until every knee that bowed in Florida is gone. What kind of coach makes that statement on an opponents floor, why didn’t they kneel in Rupp. The American flag and National Anthem to my knowledge has never done anyone wrong and are a constant reminder of those who gave their life for this country.
Couldn’t agree more and UK has been trash ever since, and appointment of Brooks to help change the name of Rupp Arena was about as bad. Brooks was the one who asked and got Cal to take a knee. Good riddance to both for bringing political turmoil into UK sports
(03-18-2022, 03:48 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

Take this sh!t to the political forum.  This is basketball. There is at least one member who came back here to talk sports and doesn't want to hear politics. Frankly, I'm tired of politics as well. Every damned one of them in Washington and Frankfort can't kiss my @ss. I don't follow politics anymore. If bowed knees bothered you that much you weren't much of a fan to begin with. Cal was just allowing his players to express their opinion in the manner in which they wanted.  Follow your Trail of Tears  to the political forum , John Ross, and let the big Kahuna there caress your wounded knee and damaged psyche. Kick rocks,  Chief.

While I don't follow UK with the passion that I once did I will still root for the kids who put on the uniform . It seems like the guys this season were really good kids who cared about each other. They seemed very, very tight in the tournament game. Just succumbed to the pressure instead of just going out and having fun.

(03-18-2022, 03:22 PM)jax Wrote:
(03-18-2022, 01:46 PM)Old School Hound Wrote:

How about Grady and TyTy's  numerous bricks off the iron and Wheeler's turnover-fest?  Did Cal order those guys to play that way? Don't think so.  Other than Oscar, the players were simply not good enough.  Without the Big O,  this team would have hovered around .500 . It is what it is.
Did he try to find more shooters off the Bench? No he had already decided he was going to play a 7 man rotation. Cals Zone offense has cost us at least 1 more national championship. Every team we play score at least 1 baskets a game on in ound plays, we haven’t scored on a inbound play since Cal got here. Just face it Cal can’t coach a lick. The only reason I’m not for firing him is look who we have trying to hire bother coach. Would be a disaster.
[-] The following 2 users Like insideinfo's post:
  • Hoot Gibson, jax
  •  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next