Poll: Should John Calipari be fired?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
20.83%
No
79.17%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Fire Calipari tonight
Coach K, Jay Wright, Bill Self and Cal are the top 4 coaches out there right now in my opinion, so who you going to hire...Wright, Self and K aren’t leaving where they are...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
His job is safe. UK should be loaded next season with what they have coming in and what they have coming back. Vanderbilt will be back, he's been too injury prone this year I can't see any NBA team taking him yet. Knox, SGA, Diallo are likely gone. The rest will be back.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Absolutely wrong.
You ksr lovers talk like this, when in reality you are by far the minority when you look at the entire fan base. There are a lot more people that think like us then think like you.

and he's running against McConnell in 2020.....oh boy
Strikeout King Wrote:and he's running against McConnell in 2020.....oh boy

Matt Jones is running against McConnell is 2020? I had no idea, but he honestly might have a shot as bad as McConnell's approval is tanking.
I hate Duke, but UK had the best talent in the SEC and finished 4th, backed into a tournament bye, then lost to a 9 seed in the NCAA tournament as a 5 seed after bettering a 12 and a 13 seed.

Duke was a 2 seed and lost to a 1 seed in OT in the Elite 8. There is no doubt as to which team was the biggest disappointment this season.
I don't think Kentucky should fire Calipari. No way. Don't agree with everything he does, but this is rather nuts.

I honestly think that Calipari says things after losses to deflect blame from the players and onto himself, even if that isn't what he really feels deep down.

Even if Kentucky fired Calipari, who do they get to replace him?

Please keep in mind that Jay Wright has already turned down Kentucky once, and since then, he's won a national title and still alive in a Final Four, so I don't think we're luring him from the Northeast.
This is the dumbest thread/poll I've ever seen on here.
OldJacket Wrote:Coach K, Jay Wright, Bill Self and Cal are the top 4 coaches out there right now in my opinion, so who you going to hire...Wright, Self and K aren’t leaving where they are...

No love for Roy Williams?
Kentucky fans are way too spoiled. Lets bring back Billy G, or maybe the Tubby days. Be real, this team had nowhere near the talent to be where they were ranked preseason and had no business being near the top 10 this season. PJ gets a lot of the heat for the loss but if it's not for him we get blown out. Shai had a terrible game. Quade with a forced three at the end. If you fire Cal you have to bring in someone better. No one better is going to leave their top tier programs to come here.
CoachNM0523 Wrote:Kentucky fans are way too spoiled. Lets bring back Billy G, or maybe the Tubby days. Be real, this team had nowhere near the talent to be where they were ranked preseason and had no business being near the top 10 this season. PJ gets a lot of the heat for the loss but if it's not for him we get blown out. Shai had a terrible game. Quade with a forced three at the end. If you fire Cal you have to bring in someone better. No one better is going to leave their top tier programs to come here.

I don't like Tubby. but when Tubby was at UK. UK had never played in the NIT, they have under coach Cal. Tubby was the first coach at UK to run the table and then went on to win the SEC t-ment title in the same season.

Cal have to get the 5 star player to coach them.

Tubby don't have to get all 5 star player to coach them. and still have 20 plus wins a season.
cj2561 Wrote:I don't like Tubby. but when Tubby was at UK. UK had never played in the NIT, they have under coach Cal. Tubby was the first coach at UK to run the table and then went on to win the SEC t-ment title in the same season.

Tubby don't have to get all 5 star player to coach them. and still have 20 plus wins a season.

Who cares about a 20 win season? Fans should care about competing for a title, which we are now doing on a scale like we've never seen before.
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:Absolutely wrong.
You ksr lovers talk like this, when in reality you are by far the minority when you look at the entire fan base. There are a lot more people that think like us then think like you.

The poll results and common sense tell a different story.
Don't assume that everybody who believes that Calipari should not be fired also believes that he is doing a great job and earning his salary, which is second only to five-time national championship coach Mike Krzyzewski.

The people who need to be fired include everybody who had a hand in negotiating the terms of Calipari's contract extension. Calipari is a much better recruiter at UK than he ever was at UMass or Memphis. He has not improved in that area, his environment has improved.

As I said before, UK cannot afford to fire Calipari. The school is stuck with him until he decides to walk away.

The people who negotiated the terms of Calipari's contract have to be among the worst negotiators in the world. With what Calipari is being paid, UK could have lured away almost any college or NBA coach in the country.

Let us not forget that Billy Gillespie threatened UK with a breach of contract suit for firing him with cause, despite the fact that Billy Clyde refused to sign the contract - and UK settled with Gillespie to the tune of $2.98 million. Whoever thought it was a good idea to include a $30 million buyout clause in Calipari's contract should be fired and banished from the state for life.

All that being said, coaches who win consistently and make the NCAA tournament on a regular basis do not deserve to be fired.
Wow sounds you many of you drank the cool aid also..... Who says UK had such unbelievable talent this year... Sports writers I guess, how many of you really know these players,many what to do to get the most out of them... I am sure the Coaches that are with them know how to play them and what is best for the team.... I am so happy we have bee blessed with some good student athletics, that have also not forgotten what we call "Big Blue Nation" , the University and the city of Lexington....
Calipari's top recruits are by no stretch of the imagination "student athletes." UK's basketball program signs NBA prospects and aims to graduate as many players to the NBA as possible after a single season on the roster. I would say that Coach Cal develops players for the NBA, at the expense Kentucky's taxpayers, but his signees are about equally likely to see their NBA prospects slip as not after a year under his tutelage.

With Duke recruiting stronger freshmen classes than Calipari, Kentucky's chances of winning another national championship have taken a big hit.
Motley Wrote:Who cares about a 20 win season? Fans should care about competing for a title, which we are now doing on a scale like we've never seen before.

stupid if a team don't have 20 wins in a season. that mean they don't have a change at the title. let me break it down a little more, they do not get into the NCAA.
So you all actually believe that he should fired?

In my opinion we didn't have any right in playing in the NCAA tourney this year and we made it as far as we did. I'm not saying that Cal is the greatest X and O's coach ever but he has a connection with these kids and makes them play for him.
If you need any assistance or want to report a problem feel free to PM me and we will get it taken care of!  Thank you for choosing to be apart of the BGR community!
#BBFL
Great coaches find a way to win, even when their team is less talented than their opponent. Compare this year's UK team's talent to the 5 seed 2009-10 or the 8 seed 2010 Butler Buldog teams that were NCAA tournament runners up (Brad Stevens' third and fourth seasons as a college head coach). Brad Stevens was a great college coach and he is a great NBA coach.

John Calipari is a great recruiter who is now being out recruited by Mike Krzyzewski, who also happens to be a great coach with five national championships to his credit.

Coach Calipari is not a great coach, IMO, and he is certainly wildly overpaid, but he does not deserve to be fired. UK fans just need to lower their expectations and get used to the new normal of making the tournament in most seasons without having much of a chance of winning it.

To paraphrase Terry Malloy in "On the Waterfront," we could have been a contender.
cj2561 Wrote:I don't like Tubby. but when Tubby was at UK. UK had never played in the NIT, they have under coach Cal. Tubby was the first coach at UK to run the table and then went on to win the SEC t-ment title in the same season.

Tubby went 22-12 and 22-13 in his last 2 years at UK...I liked Tubby also but I think he refused to get involved in the AAU mess and hence the lack of 5* kids and he thought he could coach up 3* talent which ultimately got him...Let’s see what happens next year before we get rid of Cal...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
OldJacket Wrote:Tubby went 22-12 and 22-13 in his last 2 years at UK...I liked Tubby also but I think he refused to get involved in the AAU mess and hence the lack of 5* kids and he thought he could coach up 3* talent which ultimately got him...Let’s see what happens next year before we get rid of Cal...

i don't like Tubby as a person. but he is a great coach. wasn't Tayshaun Prince 3 Star or 4 star player coming out of high school.

this year UK team, all 5 star player. they went 25-12 or 26-11. it started to look at Tubby record last few season at UK. if these player only want the money. way don't they go over seas to play that one year. then come to the NBA.
Fire cal.
Offer stevens 10 million a year.

He went turn it down.

Don't let the ksr fanboys continue to dissuade it
So the poll now stands at 397 Yes and 14 No. I myself am on the not fire cal side, but I have a slight suspicion some russian hackers have manipulated the poll result, or RIUTG, one of the two.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:So the poll now stands at 397 Yes and 14 No. I myself am on the not fire cal side, but I have a slight suspicion some russian hackers have manipulated the poll result, or RIUTG, one of the two.

I did a street poll.
It was 394 to 0 in favor of fire Confusednicker:
RunItUpTheGut Wrote:I did a street poll.
It was 394 to 0 in favor of fire Confusednicker:

Where did you conduct this poll? University of Tennesee's campus? Menardi Hall in Louisville?
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Where did you conduct this poll? University of Tennesee's campus? Menardi Hall in Louisville?

Matty bangs apartment
Interesting comments from Romeo Langford (former UK recruit) in the past few days about Calipari in the Courier Journal.

You can have Tubby..his last 9 years were the most boring in the history of basketball
Gunslinger Wrote:You can have Tubby..his last 9 years were the most boring in the history of basketball

way is that, because he use the full 30 sec clock, or the best look.
Gunslinger Wrote:You can have Tubby..his last 9 years were the most boring in the history of basketball

Have you watched Virginia play any over the past few years? That's some snooze-fest basketball.
geauxtigers75 Wrote:Have you watched Virginia play any over the past few years? That's some snooze-fest basketball.

Yes. They are a snooze fest. Totally agree with you brother, but the Tubby Ball still gets my vote
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next