Poll: Do you think the UK basketball program needs to go in a new direction?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
63.64%
No
20.45%
Wait until the season is over
15.91%
* You voted for this item.

•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
  Thread Closed
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I want Tubby out threads...here
-STATS- Wrote:Fans do want Tubby gone because he cant produce, and thats what UK fans want, production and more National Titles!

It would be one thing if the program was in shambles and falling apart at the seams but Kentucky is 19-8 and tied for 2nd in the SECEast. I might be able to understand that article if things were honestly going that bad but they're not.

The part that shows me how mature and ridiculous this writer is, is the following statement "Louisville? Please. The Cardinals were about 1 for 50 in that game from behind the three-point line, and looked about as bad that day against Kentucky as any Rick Pitino team has ever looked."

He sounds like a 12 year old saying "about 1-50 in that game". What a joke this guy is.

You guys want to follow this guy's word when he obviously has no more common sense that the common fan that's fine, but I'll keep in mind that this goon is writing what any other goon on here could but it's just seen by more people.

Another ridiculous part of his article was the following...
"When you play the kind of cupcakes and patsies that Tubby Smith has scheduled over the past two to three seasons — teams like Iona, Chattanooga, Georgia State, Santa Clara, Liberty, High Point, Miami of Ohio, South Dakota State, Lipscomb, Central Florida, Mississippi Valley State, Coppin State, William and Mary, and Campbell, any coach is going to rack up a big-time number of victories."

Good job by this guy picking only the worst teams we've played in the past 2-3 seasons and completely ignore the fact that they have the #2 Strength of Schedule this season, finished last season with the 15th ranked hardest schedule, 2005 with the #24 schedule, and 2004 with the #21 hardest schedule. In the 2003 season Kentucky played #20 Gonzaga, #12 North Carolina, #21 Michigan State, #6 Indiana, and #10 Notre Dame. Not to mention they played 7 games against ranked teams in SEC play. Without a doubt one of the toughest schedules in the country.

"Fact is, the five-star recruits of today do not want to come to Kentucky, to play for a guy that wants to beat people 52-50, and have no player averaging over 15 points per game. "

Funny he says that. We signed three 5 star players three seasons ago, and have the top two unsigned prospects in the country looking at UK right now. No we don't have many guys averaging over 15 points per game except Morris, but we have two guys (Bradley and Crawford) averaging right at 15.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:It would be one thing if the program was in shambles and falling apart at the seams but Kentucky is 19-8 and tied for 2nd in the SECEast. I might be able to understand that article if things were honestly going that bad but they're not.

The part that shows me how mature and ridiculous this writer is, is the following statement "Louisville? Please. The Cardinals were about 1 for 50 in that game from behind the three-point line, and looked about as bad that day against Kentucky as any Rick Pitino team has ever looked."

He sounds like a 12 year old saying "about 1-50 in that game". What a joke this guy is.

You guys want to follow this guy's word when he obviously has no more common sense that the common fan that's fine, but I'll keep in mind that this goon is writing what any other goon on here could but it's just seen by more people.

"When you play the kind of cupcakes and patsies that Tubby Smith has scheduled over the past two to three seasons — teams like Iona, Chattanooga, Georgia State, Santa Clara, Liberty, High Point, Miami of Ohio, South Dakota State, Lipscomb, Central Florida, Mississippi Valley State, Coppin State, William and Mary, and Campbell, any coach is going to rack up a big-time number of victories."

Good job by this guy picking only the worst teams we've played in the past 2-3 seasons and completely ignore the fact that they have the #2 Strength of Schedule this season, finished last season with the 15th ranked hardest schedule, 2005 with the #24 schedule, and 2004 with the #21 hardest schedule. In the 2003 season Kentucky played #20 Gonzaga, #12 North Carolina, #21 Michigan State, #6 Indiana, and #10 Notre Dame. Not to mention they played 7 games against ranked teams in SEC play. Without a doubt one of the toughest schedules in the country.

"Fact is, the five-star recruits of today do not want to come to Kentucky, to play for a guy that wants to beat people 52-50, and have no player averaging over 15 points per game. "

Funny he says that. We signed three 5 star players three seasons ago, and have the top two unsigned prospects in the country looking at UK right now. No we don't have many guys averaging over 15 points per game except Morris, but we have two guys (Bradley and Crawford) averaging right at 15.

Sounds like that guy has no clue of whats going on, sounds like the most lame guy ive heard write about Tubby. Im glad he knows that every other top team in the country has These teams like South dakota state on their Schedule. You can tell when people doesnt know anything about sports when they only watch one team and that team being kentucky. Mayb if people like him would understand the fact of every team in the history of basketball has bad years. I just wish people would accualty watch other teams and pay attention to their Schedules and other stats, mayb then they will understand.
-STATS- Wrote:Everytime I get on the College Hoops Thread thats all I see is Tubby this and Tubby that, its getting old.
Your right, So is Tubby.
moofer Wrote:This is ludacris. I think Tubby has had agreat career at UK. I hope he is here for many more years. People are just ignorant and have no idea what class is. Tubby is a fine outstanding man and a good coach. Give him a break.
It doesnt seem right to treat an outstanding man so poorly.Were actually turning on one of our own,,,wont that make the rest of the country despise us?
First of all he is an outstanding person, great attitude and so forth, and even puts up with what people say about him. The thing is, the stuff said about him is about his coaching, not what kind of person he is. Yes he has scheduled some weak teams and barely beat those teams, and yeah he got "three top players" 3 years ago, but they havent lived up to their McDonalds All-American billing. Anyway, he has a princeton style offense that bores me to death when watchin it, dont get me wrong, i love teams that play tough D, but Tubby's D hasnt been all that great. They get behind early and struggle to come back. No True UK fan wants that kind of basketball. But back to what I was going to say, UK has by far played a much tougher schedule than some of the top teams in the country, like for instance Florida, when they play the cupcake teams, they leave their starter in most of the game and have the most disrespectful player on any team in the country in that big lanky *&(^$$# Noah with his damn drum motion he does with his hands. I loved it when they played Vandy and Stallings had the ball and wouldnt give it to Noah, that was hilarious. Other teams play easy schedules as well, like Duke who has annually played a cupcake schedule, its just that this year, the team isnt as good as Duke teams of old and they have struggled a bit. Anyway, my point is, I am a UK fan, but like the rest of the UK fans that want TLT gone, im with them, its time for a change.
alfus21 Wrote:It would be one thing if the program was in shambles and falling apart at the seams but Kentucky is 19-8 and tied for 2nd in the SECEast. I might be able to understand that article if things were honestly going that bad but they're not.

Good post Alfus!!
SportsFan80 Wrote:Anyway, my point is, I am a UK fan, but like the rest of the UK fans that want TLT gone, im with them, its time for a change.

Just keep your fingers crossed. Wishes can come true.
Man GKS, i'm so glad some Somerset newspaper will decide whether or not Tubby stays at UK.
Hey....it's just the little snowflake in a soon to be giant snowball. Stay tuned bud.
Here's what some fans in the central part of the Commonwealth feel about Tubby and UK basketball. CLICK THIS LINK You'll find these kinds of comments in just about every newspaper in the state. Tubby has completely divided the fanbase. It's time for his removal.
No it is not time for Tubby Msith's removal as head basketball coach at the University of Kentucky. A newspaper article does not indicate that a coach should be fired. A guy on a message board with a SORRY screen name does not mean we should fire Tubby Smith. If we miss the NCAA tournament, then yes. If we lose in the first round, then yes. The fact of the matter is that we WILL sign Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas. We WILL win ATLEAST 2 games in the tournament, and we WILL have a STRONG chance of making the final four for the next 4 years, EVERY year...this year included. The problem that this fan base encounters, is that the only thing they "know" is Kentucky basketball. The Tubby Bashing Kentucky fans are not knowledgeable about ANY OTHER TEAM in America. I dont mean you dont watch Sportscenter or occassionally catch a game of some team, i mean that most UK fans cant name the starting 5 of ANY team in America besides Kentucky unless they hurry and go look it up on the internet. THATS the problem. We dont know what else is going on, GKS included.
That seems to be the rumor according to this Milwaukee newspaper. Yeah, I know it's just a 'rumor', but Lord, please let it be. Pretty please??

from the article......

A week ago, Marquette coach Tom Crean was mentioned as a possible successor to Miami Heat coach Pat Riley. This week, a rumor has him heading to Kentucky as a replacement for Tubby Smith.

Golden Eagles fans should be used to seeing Crean's name pop up in rumors for high-profile jobs like this. But, that doesn't make it more pleasant.

As for the two jobs, a trip to Miami would reunite Crean with former MU star Dwyane Wade. And, a number of basketball experts feel that Crean's prowess dealing with isolation / matchups would give him a good base to work in the NBA. As for Kentucky, it's one of the marquee jobs in college basketball. The perception is that Smith, whose contract is incentive-laden, is running a "loose" program, so Crean's discipline and work ethic would be an interesting contrast.
corndog23 Wrote:We dont know what else is going on, GKS included.

Heh...... If you only knew, corndog.....If you only knew. :howdy:
I really like Crean, a real youthful and energetic coach with dicipline. Produced Dwane Wade, and was a Tom Izzo Assistant Coach.
corndog23 Wrote:No it is not time for Tubby Msith's removal as head basketball coach at the University of Kentucky. A newspaper article does not indicate that a coach should be fired. A guy on a message board with a SORRY screen name does not mean we should fire Tubby Smith. If we miss the NCAA tournament, then yes. If we lose in the first round, then yes. The fact of the matter is that we WILL sign Patrick Patterson and Jai Lucas. We WILL win ATLEAST 2 games in the tournament, and we WILL have a STRONG chance of making the final four for the next 4 years, EVERY year...this year included. The problem that this fan base encounters, is that the only thing they "know" is Kentucky basketball. The Tubby Bashing Kentucky fans are not knowledgeable about ANY OTHER TEAM in America. I dont mean you dont watch Sportscenter or occassionally catch a game of some team, i mean that most UK fans cant name the starting 5 of ANY team in America besides Kentucky unless they hurry and go look it up on the internet. THATS the problem. We dont know what else is going on, GKS included.

I can't really name the starting 5 for any other team unless I'm highly interested in them.
[i]The perception is that Smith, whose contract is incentive-laden, is running a "loose" program, so Crean's discipline and work ethic would be an interesting contrast.[/i]

That statement alone speaks volumes about how the rest of the country views Tubby's program. Of course with as many 'Team Turmoils' as Tubby's had, what other view can one have? Kentucky fans who don their 'big blue goggles' are totally clueless as to how UK is preceived outside Big Blue Nation.
Since Tubby has been the head coach at Kentucky where does he rank in victories among other D1 coaches.
Alfus do you wear big blue goggles.I couldnt resist pal,,hehe.
OSD dont suck up to alfus.I would like to buy him for what he is woth and sell him for what he and some of you others think he is worth.He is too young to know anything what is REALLY going on.
Im not sucking up to alfus and I know he doesnt wear them goggles,,I think he is a level headed young man who is loyal to the Cats.Red auerback once said true loyalty is not true unless you support the coach as much as the team.If that is true there are not too many LOYAL cat fans.
Out of all the coaches that have been mentioned that could possibly be Tubby replacements, nerver did Tom Crean enter my mind. I dont know how I could forget him.
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:[i]The perception is that Smith, whose contract is incentive-laden, is running a "loose" program, so Crean's discipline and work ethic would be an interesting contrast.[/i]

That statement alone speaks volumes about how the rest of the country views Tubby's program. Of course with as many 'Team Turmoils' as Tubby's had, what other view can one have? Kentucky fans who don their 'big blue goggles' are totally clueless as to how UK is preceived outside Big Blue Nation.

Please note the term "loose" is in quotation marks. That does not mean it is the perception of a multitude of people. It is a quote from a source.
Has it had enough?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Has it had enough?

Just reporting the facts. :popcorn:
Grassy Knoll Sniper Wrote:Just reporting the facts. :popcorn:

Looks more like an article reporting the writer's opinion to me.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
alfus21 Wrote:Looks more like an article reporting the writer's opinion to me.
I do believe you are correct.
looks as though the people who are upset with Tubby are not just in Sommerset.
You can add Danville as well.
http://www.amnews.com/public_html/?modul...ormat=html

I don't think anyone has said anything negative about Tubby as a person. I have met the man a couple of times, and I like him. However I don't think he has recruited as well as he should have. I have a major problem with his saying that bluechip players wont stay so why recruit them, then he has a transfer rate that is horrible, from the kids he recruited because they said would stay.

Its difficult for anyone to say that he has improved the program during his tenure.
Throw out his first season, I wont judge him by that, its difficult to say he has to win the National Championship each year.

Do people really feel that he has moved the program in the right direction, as far as recruits, reputation, and stature.

No one on this site can say that in the history of UK basketball that we dreaded the day we played Vandy, yet it appears that this has become a huge game for the cats.

Sec teams come and go but the one constant has all ways been UK, we dominate the conference year in, year out, and for anyone to say well the game has changed, the recruiting has changed, tell me how North Carolina, Kansas, Duke, and UCLA were powers years ago and they seem to be today. Every school goes thru a low point for what ever reason, the question is a simple one, if its not Tubby then why are we where we are today?

So is Vandy a better sell to potenial players than UK, is Florida, if so then why?

Players want to go to a program because of several things.

Exposure, Kentucky has that.

Parents want their kids to get a good education, UK seems to improve its standard each year.

Reputation, well more wins than anyone, second in National championships, Rupp arena, and the best basketball fans in the world.

Style, Tubby's team are known for defense, so if you are a bluechipper who avg 25 to 30 points a game do you want to come to Kentucky and play for a man who will sub you out due to his rotation pattern, no matter how hot he is?

There has to be a reason as why we dont seem to get the nations best.
I think at least Tub needs to review Reggie Hanson and the recruiting woes.
you are exactly right STATS, and he has done a fabulous job at Marquette..oh and he ended UK's 26 game winning streak by handing Tubby his tush in the elite 8 just a few years ago.
-STATS- Wrote:Out of all the coaches that have been mentioned that could possibly be Tubby replacements, nerver did Tom Crean enter my mind. I dont know how I could forget him.
I remember that VERY MUCH SO!
Doc Holliday Wrote:There has to be a reason as why we dont seem to get the nations best.
I think at least Tub needs to review Reggie Hanson and the recruiting woes.

Doc........since you brought this up, I'll add something I heard the other day and is also on several internet web sites. Two assistant coaches at UK will be let go after the season is over. Speculation is that Hanson and Rigot are those two coaches. Let's wait and see how this plays out. My sources have been pretty accurate. I have no reason to think they're wrong on this.

......and while we're on the subject of assistant coaches, isn't it odd that while Pitino was at UK, just about every assistant coach was being named as a replacement somewhere. Now tell me why NONE of Tubby's assistants are being touted as head coaches?? Makes one wonder, huh?
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next