Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2016-2017 High School Wrestling Season
The '16/'17 high school wrestling season is upon us.

Who are the top contenders for the individual state champions and the team state champions?
Check out my YouTube channel.
www.youtube.com/c/AlexGreenDifferentBreed
I truly wish more schools had wrestling programs. So many kids don't ever get the chance to even try it. I played every sport offered growing up and nothing came close to wrestling. As far as local wrestling goes it has not been as good as in years past. Johnson Central is the only elite program around Eastern KY anymore.
dore20 Wrote:I truly wish more schools had wrestling programs. So many kids don't ever get the chance to even try it. I played every sport offered growing up and nothing came close to wrestling. As far as local wrestling goes it has not been as good as in years past. Johnson Central is the only elite program around Eastern KY anymore[.

Learning moves and drills from YouTube videos IS NOT how you build a wrestling program.

Just because somebody "trains" MMA or Jiu-Jitsu doesn't make them a wrestling coach. When strategy comes in to play in a dual meet or individual match, coaching ALWAYS will win. Knowledge of rules and procedure of matches go along way. Just yelling out moves from the corner doesn't mean you can coach.

You can be "certified" through every type of wrestling league under the sun, but that doesn't make you a good wrestling coach.

Of the 8 regions in the state, there are a few Elite Teams and the rest of the majority are lower tier.
Region 1 - Union County
Region 2 - LaRue County
Region 3 - Fern Creek
Region 4 - Trinity (Louisville)
Region 5 - Woodford County
Region 6 - Campbell County
Region 7 - Henry Clay
Region 8 - Johnson Central

These are, IMO, the best teams in each region. There are a few teams that are nipping at their heels in each region, but these are the cream of the crop. Then from the top two or three teams, there is a major gap between the next closest teams.
Who will win the state championship at each weight class?

106 -
113 -
120 -
126 -
132 -
138 -
145 -
152 -
160 -
170 -
182 -
195 -
220 -
285 -
I can't believe nobody, besides me, wants to talk high school wrestling.
I went this weekend to watch.
There was no ring when i got there. Only a bunch of cheerleading mats with circles on them.
So i told my boy this must be some kind of fake wrestling and we left.
stripedofficial Wrote:I went this weekend to watch.
There was no ring when i got there. Only a bunch of cheerleading mats with circles on them.
So i told my boy this must be some kind of fake wrestling and we left.

You're not the only one.... a lot of people think high school wrestling is the same as professional wrestling.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I can't believe nobody, besides me, wants to talk high school wrestling.

Man I wish more people would to. Its the best sport in the world imo. I tried everything growing up but wrestling was by far my favorite.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:Learning moves and drills from YouTube videos IS NOT how you build a wrestling program.

Just because somebody "trains" MMA or Jiu-Jitsu doesn't make them a wrestling coach. When strategy comes in to play in a dual meet or individual match, coaching ALWAYS will win. Knowledge of rules and procedure of matches go along way. Just yelling out moves from the corner doesn't mean you can coach.

You can be "certified" through every type of wrestling league under the sun, but that doesn't make you a good wrestling coach.

Of the 8 regions in the state, there are a few Elite Teams and the rest of the majority are lower tier.

Nothing you said had anything to do with what I said. Johnson Central is the only team in Eastern KY that wins at the state level. So they are the elite team around here. I don't know there coach personally but obviously you have problems with him.
when i left PCC to go to Hazard, the only sport that i miss doing was wrestling. what happen to PCC. a few of the boys i use to wrestler with got stop 10 at state.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:I can't believe nobody, besides me, wants to talk high school wrestling.

Pulp, I never watched a wrestling meet in my life until this year. My sons a Freshman at Belfry and he came to me and wanted to wrestle so it would help him stay in shape during the winter. People kept telling me that the meets were long and boring and that we wouldn't last through half the season. But I'll tell you this, after our first meet and watching my son we are HOOKED! I never dreamed that this sport was so fun to watch. I mean I'm watching every match not just my sons. I just wished that I knew more about it so I could help him on his technique. Right now he has a record of 6-2 which I think is pretty good but he's doing it on pretty much brute strength. Ethan is 6'1" and weighs 228lbs and I think that this will hurt him later on this year. The way I understand it is that 220lbs to 285lbs is the heavy weight division, correct? That makes him a small heavyweight. We can't wait to watch this Johnson Central team I keep hearing about. Hearing nothing but good things about them. Hopefully can learn some things from them big ol boys Ethan will have to go up against. Like I said, until this year me and my son had never seen a wrestling meet but now that he's tried it and doing ok, we're both hooked. Any pointers you might want to through out there I'm more than willing to listen. If you can get over us being from Belfry that is! LOL
#51PirateFan Wrote:Pulp, I never watched a wrestling meet in my life until this year. My sons a Freshman at Belfry and he came to me and wanted to wrestle so it would help him stay in shape during the winter. People kept telling me that the meets were long and boring and that we wouldn't last through half the season. But I'll tell you this, after our first meet and watching my son we are HOOKED! I never dreamed that this sport was so fun to watch. I mean I'm watching every match not just my sons. I just wished that I knew more about it so I could help him on his technique. Right now he has a record of 6-2 which I think is pretty good but he's doing it on pretty much brute strength. Ethan is 6'1" and weighs 228lbs and I think that this will hurt him later on this year. The way I understand it is that 220lbs to 285lbs is the heavy weight division, correct? That makes him a small heavyweight. We can't wait to watch this Johnson Central team I keep hearing about. Hearing nothing but good things about them. Hopefully can learn some things from them big ol boys Ethan will have to go up against. Like I said, until this year me and my son had never seen a wrestling meet but now that he's tried it and doing ok, we're both hooked. Any pointers you might want to through out there I'm more than willing to listen. If you can get over us being from Belfry that is! LOL

106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285.... those are the weight classes.

If he weights 228 lbs, he is a Heavyweight. He should be able to cut down to 220 with a little bit of work. After Christmas, wrestlers get a growth allowance and each day of consecutive competition gets a pound for each day.

A lot of people say the same thing, once they see a big tournament with good wrestling, they are hooked.
Pulp Fiction Wrote:106, 113, 120, 126, 132, 138, 145, 152, 160, 170, 182, 195, 220, 285.... those are the weight classes.

If he weights 228 lbs, he is a Heavyweight. He should be able to cut down to 220 with a little bit of work. After Christmas, wrestlers get a growth allowance and each day of consecutive competition gets a pound for each day.

A lot of people say the same thing, once they see a big tournament with good wrestling, they are hooked.

We're actually trying to add some weight to him. He plays offensive line, more than likely Center this coming season, and I'm trying to thicken him up. But I see what your saying about dropping a few pounds and moving down a weight class though. He's just a 15 year old Freshman and getting slung around by these bigger and better kids now will help him out down the line, I think anyway. Thanks for the advice and the weight classes though.