•  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Belfry 2017
Sheldon Clark will never be back in district play at the 3A level.
Personally I think if you withdraw from District Competition you should either have to get an unanimous approval by the coaches in the District to be re-admitted or you must wait for the next realignment and have to petition the KHSAA to prove you are capable of competing.

Sheldon Clark screwed up a lot of schedules by dropping out and will screw up a lot of schedules by being added in.. especially if they are added in and remain non-competitive.
WinkWinkler Wrote:Sheldon Clark will never be back in district play at the 3A level.

About ten years ago Johnson Central elected not to compete in district. We're typicall an 0-10 to 2-8 team before they decided to drop out. Ten years later they are winning state. I'm not saying Sheldon Clark will repeat those results, but as the old saying goes... "never say never".
Single Wing 77 Wrote:About ten years ago Johnson Central elected not to compete in district. We're typicall an 0-10 to 2-8 team before they decided to drop out. Ten years later they are winning state. I'm not saying Sheldon Clark will repeat those results, but as the old saying goes... "never say never".
A little longer than 10 years just FYI

2003 was the last team coached by Ross that was 1-9

Matney took over in 2004 and the rest is history
It don't seem like football season should be over it went by to fast our linemen are already hard wrestling getting stronger it's going to be another great year on Pond Creek
Belfry has a great feeder program.
I was reading on bluegrasspreps and it said what does Belfry have to do to knock off Corbin well I guess I look at this different than some do Belfry is the King of 3A and I think what should have been said is what can Corbin do to taking down the King at home well I don't think it will happens in 2017 we have to many play makers our bigs are still going to do there thing our coaches have brought the line along before it's not going to be any different next year our skilled guys are the best in 3A hands down I for one can't wait until kickoff we're not done yet guys Lol
Agreed.... that shouldn't be the question. To be the man you have to beat the man. However, I think Corbin will be VERY close this year. Say what you want, it will hurt a lot more than you think to lose 4 HUGE lineman. I won't say we will win, but I'll say we lost less than you. As I said, I'm sure I'll say it till next November.... to be the man, you gotta beat him. We've not done that the last 2 Novembers.
I agree, we've lost probably the best combined offensive line that has ever come through Pond Creek but if folks think that with their departure that the Pirates line is finished their badly mistaken. I believe that we'll have one of the better O-lines in 3A next year. Mark my words boys and girls, this young line that we have is going to turn into something special. So to all you hatters out there keep doing your thang! In case you haven't realised, we feed off of that! You folks have a blessed holiday and a better new year!
I completely agree. If Corbin beats Belfry this coming November then and ONLY then can someone say "what does Belfry have to do to beat Corbin". Corbin is fighting uphill and anyone who doubts that doesn't know football. That offensive line is not only the best to ever come through pond creek. In my opinion it is possibly the best to ever come through the state of Kentucky at the high school level. There will undoubtedly be some drop off. It think the offensive line at Belfry falls back to the typical Belfry offensive line. They will be the top 3 in 3a, possibly the best. I've watched every state title game played by a mountain team since 2002. That senior class was the best Belfry has had since then. Looking forward to November, best of luck to the pirates up until thanksgiving weekend.
I think everyone that has been waiting for Belfry to slip a little bit looks at the fact that this class that has been terrorizing all of 3A has finally graduated and maybe the rest of us may have a chance again. Belfry will be very good for a long time so it is looking like the rest of us are just going to have to get much better rather than waiting for Belfry to get worse.
The Offensive Line doesn't overly worry me. Obviously it won't be the same level as this unit that may have been the best Small School Offensive Line of all-time in KY... but Belfry will always have a good line and they have some very good pieces to build off of. The Line will be solid and the backfield will help them out.

The one spot I have major concerns is going to be the three down linemen on the D-Line. With Bentley and Horton you had to devote all five O-linemen just to block three, and sometimes teams even needed to devote either a TE or a back. This created a numbers mis-match for Belfry and allowed the Belfry Ends and Backers to move freely in space to play teams sideline to sideline.

Belfry has some young talent, but losing Horton and Bentley is something few teams from EKY has ever had to experience. Let's also give some respect to Chase Dove who was phenomenal down the stretch as that Quick Tackle to cause disruption while Horton and Bentley ate double teams.

Jacob Baisden will be a Sophomore next Summer and he may be the X-Factor to Belfry's success next year. If Baisden can develop into the player many think he can be it will be vital to helping lessen that blow of losing Horton and Bentley. This is a kid with a world of potential who showed flashes of brilliance as a Freshman, he needs to be busting it starting right now to improve his strength, footwork, and lateral quickness.
Naturally, Belfry will not be the same team. But so many underclassmen on both sides of the ball got a lot of valuable playing time, just due to running clock situations. Granted, the outcome was always decided by then, but opponents still basically played their first team. And yes, at times it was not as polished as the starters. But real-time experience pays off tremendously.
With playoffs, current juniors have practiced the equivalent of 4 1/2 seasons in 3 years, sophomores 3 seasons in two years. The cupboard won't be bare. But focus and intensity will have to take over. Underclassmen can't rely on the past to carry them. Coaches know that, and they will get the best out of them.
Hurricane Storm Wrote:Naturally, Belfry will not be the same team. But so many underclassmen on both sides of the ball got a lot of valuable playing time, just due to running clock situations. Granted, the outcome was always decided by then, but opponents still basically played their first team. And yes, at times it was not as polished as the starters. But real-time experience pays off tremendously.
With playoffs, current juniors have practiced the equivalent of 4 1/2 seasons in 3 years, sophomores 3 seasons in two years. The cupboard won't be bare. But focus and intensity will have to take over. Underclassmen can't rely on the past to carry them. Coaches know that, and they will get the best out of them.
Justin Baker started every game at tackle, while Dagen Rash started 4/5 games and played with the first string on several other occasions, Austin Lawson played in 9 games as a backup and did very well. Ethan Wolford will be in the mix at one of these spots, I see Rash moving to G and Wolford at the C spot. There will be a battle for the other OL spot, but this group will still average 6'2 265lbs and have good speed. This Belfry team won't miss a beat! These lineman are working their tails off in wrestling and Wolford and Rash are doing great at the meets from what I've heard. The road to Bowling comes though Pond Creek and I believe it will be Belfry and Central for the title once again!
COACHITALL Wrote:Justin Baker started every game at tackle, while Dagen Rash started 4/5 games and played with the first string on several other occasions, Austin Lawson played in 9 games as a backup and did very well. Ethan Wolford will be in the mix at one of these spots, I see Rash moving to G and Wolford at the C spot. There will be a battle for the other OL spot, but this group will still average 6'2 265lbs and have good speed. This Belfry team won't miss a beat! These lineman are working their tails off in wrestling and Wolford and Rash are doing great at the meets from what I've heard. The road to Bowling comes though Pond Creek and I believe it will be Belfry and Central for the title once again!

I agree 100 percent we will have a growing pain or two but we've never had a perfect season so businesses as usual let's go get number #7
Belfry won't be as good next year but they will still be a force. They just reload.
And I found out tonight Sheldon Clark will be back in our district next year which is crap they still can't compete and now we will have to get rid of a really good team to put them back on our schedule
COACHITALL Wrote:Justin Baker started every game at tackle, while Dagen Rash started 4/5 games and played with the first string on several other occasions, Austin Lawson played in 9 games as a backup and did very well. Ethan Wolford will be in the mix at one of these spots, I see Rash moving to G and Wolford at the C spot. There will be a battle for the other OL spot, but this group will still average 6'2 265lbs and have good speed. This Belfry team won't miss a beat! These lineman are working their tails off in wrestling and Wolford and Rash are doing great at the meets from what I've heard. The road to Bowling comes though Pond Creek and I believe it will be Belfry and Central for the title once again!

May be wrong...but...At this point I don't see Rash transitioning to Guard. I think he stays at Center. And, while I know Wolford played mostly the C spot in Frosh/JV....as he continues to grow and get stronger...I can see him moving to Tackle. Big Kid....Thick chest and shoulders. Would not be surprised too see Barker transition to Bentley's TE spot. His size and ranginess provide similar qualities this offense had with Bentley out there. There are definitely a lot of options open to the coaching staff regarding next years OL-line. It'll be interesting to see how the West kid comes back off of his injury. Had been splitting time between OL/and LB...but there Has been some speculation that he may play LB exclusively next year. Very quick, good strength....but very light. Hoping he's fully recovered by summer. Should be an interesting off season and a highly anticipated Summer Camp. Gonna be a lot of playing time wars.
What type of size will Belfry have on the oline this year after having to replace those studs?
FordsFanatics Wrote:What type of size will Belfry have on the oline this year after having to replace those studs?

Probably have one of the, if not the best size lines in 3A

Won't quite be the college size line of pay year but Belfry will still be absolutely huge
You guys are putting way to thinking into this your LB will be the same as you had this year I do believe Ethan goes to center and they will be ready to do there thing and come the first week of December we'll see ya in Bowling Green
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:You guys are putting way to thinking into this your LB will be the same as you had this year I do believe Ethan goes to center and they will be ready to do there thing and come the first week of December we'll see ya in Bowling Green

Always fun to speculate on Belfry Football. Quite Honestly....more questions surrounding next years team than we've had over the past four years combined. Smile
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Always fun to speculate on Belfry Football. Quite Honestly....more questions surrounding next years team than we've had over the past four years combined. Smile

Probably the most questions we have had since after the 2008 season.

That team took it on the chin in 2009, but they didn't have the depth of young talent and skill talent as this edition, in fact anywhere close to it.
OutlawJoseyWales Wrote:Always fun to speculate on Belfry Football. Quite Honestly....more questions surrounding next years team than we've had over the past four years combined. Smile

Yea I understand the questions lol but this bunch here has two middle school State Championships three high school State Championships and loaded at the skills positions and got as many staters coming back as anyone in 3A and we will still be the team to beat
[quote=EKUAlum05]Probably the most questions we have had since after the 2008 season.

That team took it on the chin in 2009, but they didn't have the depth of young talent and skill talent as this edition, in fact anywhere close to it.[/QUOTE

The 09 just wasn't that good you had Thomas Varney the all around player and when he got hurt against Johnson Central we was done The 2017 team is loaded you can still take one out and put another in and get quality play you definitely can't compare 09 with 2017 we got a couple holes to fill but we have some quality people to fill those holes
Why not Mingo Central????
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Why not Mingo Central????

Buddy your right see what you can do to make it happen
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:Buddy your right see what you can do to make it happen

Sorry, I am in the northern part of WV. I am not sure if St. Marys (Defending Class A champ) or Magnolia (2015 Class A Champ) have any open dates still.
dangerousdaneerfan Wrote:Sorry, I am in the northern part of WV. I am not sure if St. Marys (Defending Class A champ) or Magnolia (2015 Class A Champ) have any open dates still.

Belfry still has some open dates I'm not sure what dates they are
99PIRATEFAN Wrote:And I found out tonight Sheldon Clark will be back in our district next year which is crap they still can't compete and now we will have to get rid of a really good team to put them back on our schedule

Question about Sheldon Clark. They have been playing in the All A Classic. How can they play 1A in basketball and 3A in football. What am I missing?
  •  Previous
  • 2(current)
  • Next