Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Harlan - Owensboro Catholic
New Harlan is having their way with Owensboro Cath.

30-0 in 2nd quarter with 1:28 to go. .
30-0 at the half
The PrepSpin announcers are talking as if New Harlan has an advantage because the high school is 5A. I don't understand exactly what they are meaning. Could you explain?
Some people have said that because they feed a large high school they should play in large division.

N.H. Is just out powering Catholic. They run a few plays really really well and their defense is smothering.
37-0 new Harlan!

Running clock for remainder of game.

Just started 4th, New Harlan has 2nd string backfield in and still not being stopped.
37-8

Owensboro Catholic scores on 45 yard run.

3:47 remaining in game
I do t understand how NH is a div3 and they have five feeders the draw from for a team that feeds a 5a school and Whitley county is 5a And have same system and there not a div3
Owensboro recovers onside kick and drives to the 17 before throwing a pick.

Congrats to New Harlan!! The D3 State champions!!
The mods at PrepSpin explained it to me. New Harlan is 19 over the number they should have to be in D2, but they don't reclassify every year. Because the numbers are so close, New Harlan was allowed to stay in D3. When they do reclassify, bet we are under the number required. Folks are having to leave the area because of job loss. Sad!
When division was set they were d3...now looking they are over but school enrollment can change daily. Realignment happens again this year and they may move up to d2 but I'm hearing belfry is low on kids and may drop to d3.

Either way congrats to the New Harlan Patriots!
yellowjacket0131 Wrote:I do t understand how NH is a div3 and they have five feeders the draw from for a team that feeds a 5a school and Whitley county is 5a And have same system and there not a div3

I think Whitley has one middle school team. Harlan County has three (New Harlan, Cumberland and Evarts)
yellowjacket0131 Wrote:I do t understand how NH is a div3 and they have five feeders the draw from for a team that feeds a 5a school and Whitley county is 5a And have same system and there not a div3

Just because the high schools are the same A category does not mean the elementary/middle schools that feed into the schools are the same size. New Harlan has 5 elementary schools it can draw from with 1 of those sending 0 kids, two schools sending 2-3 each and two schools making the bulk of the team in Wallins and Rosspoint. The KYMSFA uses numbers from the superintendent annual enrollment report and goes off of enrolled 6/7 grade males for their numbers. New Harlan met the number for D3 in the last alignment...period.

Does it really matter though? NH played only 1 D3 school all year and the rest were against some of the toughest D2 and D1 schools in the state. They should have beat Belfry if not for THREE touchdowns being called back. These boys earned the W regardless of division and should be respected as the best and not torn down based on opinions of zero merit.
HCS Wrote:I think Whitley has one middle school team. Harlan County has three (New Harlan, Cumberland and Evarts)

Whitley county also has three middle schools in the county. Whitley, Williamsburg, and Corbin.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Whitley county also has three middle schools in the county. Whitley, Williamsburg, and Corbin.

Whitley, Wburg, and Corbin are all different school districts.
Hes referring to the fact that all those schools feed into the Harlan County system alone.

That would be like Whitley still having several schools that went up to 8th grade instead of one big middle school solely for 7th and 8th
No, New Harlan was 19 boys over the limit. They should have played D2. If you would like I can send you the link with the Saar rating.
James jam, this topic has been discussed, do a search.

New Harlan was placed in correct division when the last realignment happened. The. Miners changed after alignment was set, so that means they get to play it it for the two years till next alignment! Which is this year, so move on.
*sorry for errors was typing on phone*

The numbers for NH changed after alignment was set so they were left in D3.

Next year they will probably be D2 and Belfry will be D3.
Single Wing 77 Wrote:Whitley county also has three middle schools in the county. Whitley, Williamsburg, and Corbin.

As Gut said,Williamsburg and Corbin middle school teams don't feed into Whitley.
As for the alignment, the high schools are set for four years. If Highlands, for example, were to bring in 300 new students, they would stay in the same class until the next realignment.
There's nothing wrong or illegal about that, just people looking for excuses and determined to bash some kids who just played who they were told.
I think the biggest problem is a few people took the new enrollment numbers, started a ton of rumors and flew with it, while not telling the people they gave those numbers to that realignment doesn't happen every single year.

The best part of this non stop whining about New Harlan is that when they do move up to Div 2, Belfry will come right in and most likely dominate Div 1 like NH has this year. I expect some more crying.